Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 141413 times)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #750 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 13:22:24 »
iPhone 5 since it came out; although my power button isn't working cause I keep dropping it heh.
I prefer simplicity and I don't really customize my phone anymore; used to jailbreak though.
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #751 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:46:03 »
I'm still holding onto my Samsung Galaxy S3 since it still works well. I'm not sure how much some higher numbers on a spec sheet will help since everything already runs smooth with no hickups (especially if your just browsing the web). I do know that bigger screens and faster processors eat battery even faster. I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually especially once the next contract is up.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #752 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:52:01 »
I have a nexus 5. Ditched Verizon for tmobile. Had the Note 2 but glad to be back on a Nexus. Although I haven't flashed a rom in a couple months probably. Running Carbon on it right now.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #753 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:58:07 »
I have a nexus 5. Ditched Verizon for tmobile. Had the Note 2 but glad to be back on a Nexus. Although I haven't flashed a rom in a couple months probably. Running Carbon on it right now.

glad to see you posting semi-regularly again!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #754 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:15:06 »

glad to see you posting semi-regularly again!
Hey thanks Bro. Yeah I think I'm back for good now. Not sure my wallet is happy about it but its good to be back. Don't see a lot of the names I remember from a couple years ago. But thats normal.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #755 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:21:33 »
BlackBerry Q10. Hardware keyboard FTW...

Using the 1Mobile app store to get all the android apps resolves most people's biggest complaint of limited apps.

I have had a nexus and two iphones. I hated both iphones, but I enjoy android. 

Offline osi

« Reply #756 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:42:53 »

Using the 1Mobile app store to get all the android apps resolves most people's biggest complaint of limited apps.

Whoah - another Q10 user! How are you liking it so far? What do you miss from your past phone, if anything? I remember commenting in your earlier thread when you were searching.

Currently running 10.2.1.2102. T-Mo US  needs to hurry with an official release. The last rumor I read assume the delays are caused by t mo integrating their WiFi calling feature into the release.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #757 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 21:13:26 »

Whoah - another Q10 user! How are you liking it so far? What do you miss from your past phone, if anything? I remember commenting in your earlier thread when you were searching.

Currently running 10.2.1.2102. T-Mo US  needs to hurry with an official release. The last rumor I read assume the delays are caused by t mo integrating their WiFi calling feature into the release.

I am in canada on rogers. I find the call quality to be as good as any of my other phones. The keyboard is SOO much better than the bold. The keyboard on this phone is lovely. I spend most of my time in email and such, so this thing is awesome for me.

That does bring me to the one thing I don't like. I like the version 10 os in general. The notification and scheduling on this phone is awesome, but I can't take full advantage of it because the gmail integration is brutal. I pipe 3 gmail accounts through one account and just reply from the correct one. The BlackBerry does not support this at all which almost makes the built in mail functionality useless to me. Then since it does not support stars and archive, it becomes totally useless to me.

The best solution I have found is to just use the mobile web app for gmail. It works perfectly so the problem is mitigated, but I would love to be able to use the mail integration cause the dashboard integration in BlackBerry is awesome.

This phone NEVER hangs in mid process. My android would hang up now and then in some apps. My iphones would hang up all the time and it drove me mental.

The camera is excellent. As good as my iPhone camera if not better. Just a smart design in general.

There is not much I can say that I dislike about the phone to be honest. It just works and gives me everything I need without feeling like it is getting in the way. I can basically touch type on it now, so it has become an amazing tool for text based stuff.

I thought I was going to have a problem with the smaller screen, but it has proved to be perfectly fine for everything.

Oh. GH is almost unusable on it for posting replies due to issues with getting the cursor where you want on pages that scroll and a text area that scrolls. I use tapatalk from the 1mobile store and it works great.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #758 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 01:06:20 »
As an iPhone 5 owner and I want a HTC One (2014) more than anything!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #759 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 02:01:23 »
I wonder if the new HTC One will have the sane speaker problems. I use the m7 and had it repaired twice now only to get the same problem again! Crackling blown speaker sound.

I want to go back to something smaller that I can operate with one hand.

That's why I love my iPhone 5 I can use it w one hand. But I want a bigger screen. Same size body though...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #760 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 02:17:33 »
I wonder if the new HTC One will have the sane speaker problems. I use the m7 and had it repaired twice now only to get the same problem again! Crackling blown speaker sound.

I want to go back to something smaller that I can operate with one hand.

That's why I love my iPhone 5 I can use it w one hand. But I want a bigger screen. Same size body though...

While I get what your saying (I also have no iphone 5) I can't properly use my phone one handed... Unless I'm stood upright at which point my over hand is just in my pockets... Or around my gia-anyway I have problems with the keyboard and have wished that apple either give a version of swipe, better auto correct (ie one that works) or a wide screen.. They have done non of these and the notification problem and just several use ability issues I have have made iOS an awful experience that's only gotten worse.

I still think that the home screen on iOS is the best interface and that having a home screen that isn't simply that is pretty redundant but I'm willing more so than ever to jump to a platform like android.

But yeah I don't think having a phone small enough for one handed use is of any real benefit at all

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #761 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 02:19:37 »

Any other iOS users getting crazy harassed by reminders since the new update? My phone tells me it's work now 15mins before work, 10mins before, 5mins before, 5mins after, 10mins after and 15mins after I start work and I've no way to dismiss it...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #762 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 03:28:35 »
I haven't updated since like 3 updates ago because I lost everything at that update, had to go to a backup from a year ago. Now I don't want to update ever again lol my iPad mini is on iOS 6 still.

My iPhone barely fits in my Levi's I can't imagine an s5 or note omg I'd never get it in or out of there lol..
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 03:30:12 by dustinhxc »

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #763 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 06:57:19 »

Any other iOS users getting crazy harassed by reminders since the new update? My phone tells me it's work now 15mins before work, 10mins before, 5mins before, 5mins after, 10mins after and 15mins after I start work and I've no way to dismiss it...

I just update mine whenever they ask prompt me to. Lol. I sorta have an OCD. Don't really like any notifications on my phone.  :))
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #764 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 07:54:45 »

I just update mine whenever they ask prompt me to. Lol. I sorta have an OCD. Don't really like any notifications on my phone.  :))

Yeah I tend to update mine as and when I can but holy ****... An hour after I arrived at work and 'ok'ed the notification about work on my phone it was still coming up and reminding me I had work at 8am... While the notification panel helpfully let me know how long it would take to get home.. From work...

The only way I could stop it spamming me was to simply delete it.. Great calendar app that...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #765 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 13:17:28 »
Haha. Iphones. Those temperamental bastards.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #766 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 20:28:00 »

that's not OCD
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #767 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 20:51:37 »
You tell'em, demilk!

I might actually try an iOS device when the new one comes out if it's a great device. If not I will just have to wait for the next big Android device.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #768 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 02:34:31 »
I bought a Moto X last week to replace my Desire S, which started to act weird, but it didn't cross my mind that the new phone might have a different format for the SIM-card. So I had to wait until Monday to get a new SIM-card. :D
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #769 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:32:10 »
You tell'em, demilk!

I might actually try an iOS device when the new one comes out if it's a great device. If not I will just have to wait for the next big Android device.

Speaking of which is anyone on GH in wireless distribution/sales?  I was in 2010 and unfortunately I feel out of the loop knowing how much information there actually is vs what customers are allowed to know.  Anyway if you are CONUS and work for one of the big three, shoot me a PM :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline saltdiscus

« Reply #770 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 06:06:15 »
note 3 atm but will switch iphone 6 if at least 5 inch in screen size.
duckyshine3/looking for poker,mx keycaps

Offline mindoculus

« Reply #771 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 11:21:11 »
Note 3 - I used the Sketch Pro app and S-Pen to design a few keycaps. Love the size, but its the pen that makes all the difference.

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #772 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 11:52:18 »
Nexus 4

Not chancing until they innovate something new and not an another board with moar pixels and CPU cores.

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline metal1091

« Reply #773 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 16:39:00 »
Currently sitting on a Galaxy S3 but I'm due for a new phone at the end of the summer. right now I'm heavily debating between a Nexus 5 and an HTC One (m8)

Offline lunr

« Reply #774 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 00:34:15 »
Currently sitting on a Galaxy S3 but I'm due for a new phone at the end of the summer. right now I'm heavily debating between a Nexus 5 and an HTC One (m8)

I would go with the HTC. I saw reviews for it and it looks pretty damn amazing. They're coming out with a Google Play edition as well if you want vanilla android :)

I'm currently using a Galaxy S3... I don't like it anymore and I hate Touchwiz so much now.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #775 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 06:41:49 »
Just throw on Nova Launcher. Touchwiz is horrible.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #776 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 07:02:57 »
Just a question for you android folk... I'm looking at getting the new HTC One but don't like the fact it has HTC's bonus rubbish on it, is it fairly easy to root it and put stock android on it? And if I do that would I be able to manually update the phone rather than waiting for carriers to give me updates etc??

Offline Yslen

« Reply #777 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 07:05:47 »

I would go with the HTC. I saw reviews for it and it looks pretty damn amazing. They're coming out with a Google Play edition as well if you want vanilla android :)

I'm currently using a Galaxy S3... I don't like it anymore and I hate Touchwiz so much now.

Root it! Cyanogenmod is lovely on the S3, I ditched Samsung about three weeks after getting mine.

Offline welsinki

« Reply #778 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 08:08:52 »
 :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2019, 12:41:42 by welsinki »

Offline iri

« Reply #779 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 08:28:45 »
My phone is a Jolla running Sailfish OS
i'm jealous
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline metal1091

« Reply #780 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 08:45:04 »

Yeah, after having Samsung's crud on my phone I really want vanilla android. but it kinda depends on what happens with my family plan cause I'm not sure if my parents want to renew their contract and the Nexus would allow me to upgrade without renewing

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #781 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 10:40:54 »
Just a question for you android folk... I'm looking at getting the new HTC One but don't like the fact it has HTC's bonus rubbish on it, is it fairly easy to root it and put stock android on it? And if I do that would I be able to manually update the phone rather than waiting for carriers to give me updates etc??

Rooting is pretty easy, the entire process should take you no longer than an hour, and that's of course including your time on XDA to read about it and learn how to do it.

You don't even have to root, though. Just install a custom launcher, such as Nova launcher, and you'll have pretty much stock Android.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #782 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 12:42:56 »
I've got a Nexus5. First phone I've really loved. Used to run Apple, had a 3g/4/5 before this.

It's not perfect but for $349 off contract I can't really complain. The only thing I'd improve is the speaker-phone quality; it doesn't go loud enough and the quality isn't great. Besides that it's awesome and I'm really enjoying Android vs iOS.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #783 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 13:18:40 »

Rooting is pretty easy, the entire process should take you no longer than an hour, and that's of course including your time on XDA to read about it and learn how to do it.

You don't even have to root, though. Just install a custom launcher, such as Nova launcher, and you'll have pretty much stock Android.

alright cheers buddie! I'm looking forward to ditching my iPhone !

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #784 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 14:58:07 »
Currently using a Note II via Sprint.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #785 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 15:15:10 »
I will be on a trip to Brazil next week. My Nokia 700 is now loaded with the South America map and Brazil's. A chip is waiting for me there, and I will take advantage again of this little fellow, that I paid only $150 unblocked. It already has Skype and Whatsup.  :thumb:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #786 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 15:54:29 »
Updated my SK17i/smultron to legacyXperia's CM 10.2 a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what to think. Battery life appears to be worse then on 10.0 or something. The drawer/tray/whatever-they-call-it is harder to use too IMHO. This sucks, because I barely use the device for anything but alarm/clock and music player (soon to be replaced by a rockboxed sansa clip).

Offline PublicAnarchism

« Reply #787 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 18:40:41 »
Favorite smartphone is obviously the Nexus 5. Cheap and powerful.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #788 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 20:35:07 »

No problem! Hope you enjoy the world of Android. There's no going back once you get into it, so much customization you can do.

And another note about Nova Launcher - even though I have a Nexus 5 with vanilla Android, I still install Nova Launcher as it makes it even smoother somehow. And the gestures and everything I have really gotten used to over the years. Definitely worth checking out.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #789 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 02:27:08 »

No problem! Hope you enjoy the world of Android. There's no going back once you get into it, so much customization you can do.

And another note about Nova Launcher - even though I have a Nexus 5 with vanilla Android, I still install Nova Launcher as it makes it even smoother somehow. And the gestures and everything I have really gotten used to over the years. Definitely worth checking out.

Yeah, well like I've said like a million times in this thread I ****ing hate iOS6 and the fact that Apple's updates barely keep it on par with the competition let alone actually address and fix issues...  so after 4 years of being treated like **** (and Apple customer) I'm done!!

Though I still have like 4 months left on my contract QQ

Offline iri

« Reply #790 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 03:38:17 »
i'll root my samsung mega 5.8 soon. ****ing tired of this samsung ****, spam filter that only block messages from real phone numbers, crappy autocompletion and so on.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #791 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 04:08:33 »

That's not exactly true.

HTC phones are a pain in the butt to root because you have to do so many pre-requistes first and I'm not talking about installing ADB on your PC. You also have to deal with a bunch of things like unlocking the bootloader and etc. Its a very long and tedious process to do all at once. If you are rooting for the first time and dont have anything setup its going to take a chunk of time.

This varies across each manufacturer and some devices are known to be more "developer" friendly meaning you can get into that **** faster.

Nexus phones are alot easier because you don't have to deal with a long process to unlock the boatloader and you can just essentialy get right to it. You don't have a bunch of propietary bull**** + locks/restrictions obstructing you. That's why nexus phones are called developer phones. Most drivers in Nexus products are open source too so we get the better tweaks and roms.

Thanks to this, its easy and straightforward to root on a Nexus device.
Generally speaking, it is not straightforward and relatively harder to root on a non nexus device.

That's a brief distinction of Nexus vs non Nexus phones.

Using nova launcher gives you a stock like appearance but that's the not the same thing as having stock android.
That's kind of like saying 2 different Linux distros using KDE are the same thing.

I did the HTC m7 google play edition conversion on an ATT m7.
That basically turned the phone into a full stock HTC one capable of recieving stock updates directly from google (OTA).
There's always that option once/if the GPE edition of the phone comes out and if some android developer makes it work.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 04:19:58 by the1onewolf »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #792 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 04:20:34 »

That's not exactly true.

HTC phones are a pain in the butt to root because you have to do so many pre-requistes first and I'm not talking about installing ADB on your PC. You also have to deal with a bunch of things like unlocking the bootloader and etc. Its a very long and tedious process to do all at once. If you are rooting for the first time and dont have anything setup its going to take a chunk of time.

This varies across each manufacturer and some devices are known to be more "developer" friendly meaning you can get into that **** faster.

Nexus phones are alot easier because you don't have to deal with a long process to unlock the boatloader and you can just essentialy get right to it. You don't have a bunch of propietary bull**** + locks/restrictions obstructing you. That's why nexus phones are called developer phones. Most drivers in Nexus products are open source too so we get the better tweaks and roms.

Generally speaking, it is not straightforward and relatively harder to root on a non nexus device.

Using nova launcher gives you a stock like appearance but that's the not the same thing as having stock android.
That's kind of like saying 2 different Linux distros using KDE are the same thing.

That basically turned the phone into a full stock HTC one capable of recieving stock updates directly from google (OTA).
There's always that option once/if the GPE edition of the phone comes out and if some android developer makes it work.

Yeah but if you can install a diffrent launcher you don't really need to boot the device, unless you want access to all the latest updates asap, right?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #793 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 04:29:46 »

That's not exactly true.

Yeah but if you can install a diffrent launcher you don't really need to boot the device, unless you want access to all the latest updates asap, right?

I don't really follow this. Rooting the device and changing the launcher are different things.
Oh nvm I get what you are getting at.
Rooting is not the same thing as flashing a new ROM (like if you wanted to flash a 4.4.3 based ROM but your carrier is only offering you 4.4)

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #794 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 04:35:35 »
Got my Galaxy S5 few days ago  :thumb:
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #795 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 04:37:42 »
I don't really follow this. Rooting the device and changing the launcher are different things.
Rooting is not the same thing as flashing a new ROM (like if you wanted to flash a 4.4.3 based ROM but your carrier is only offering you 4.4)

I assumed you would have to root the phone in order to apply updates your carrier didn't send to you, thats why I asked about rooting... so you can flash it without rooting?

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #796 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 05:49:40 »
HTC devices are harder to root than some other phones, that's true. Nexus devices, as said previously, are the easiest to unlock and root. That said, there are tool kits and stuff for pretty much every major brand out there, and these make the entire process a lot easier. I've been using Nexus devices for years and had no problems with rooting, and when I did the same thing for my friends HTC (forgot which model) it only took me about an hour. It's just the process and the order of the things you need to be familiar with. Besides, there are usually step by step videos on how to do this sort of thing, so it really isn't too big of a deal.

No, you cannot just flash update files to your phone without being rooted, that's not the way it works.

I never said Nova Launcher would give you stock Android, I am of course just talking about the appearance. And truthfully, it's a great way to cover up Sense or Touchwiz. Personally, I don't even unlock or root anymore. After years of doing it I just find it to be pointless and not worth it in the end. I like to think that Google knows what they're doing and use Android as it was intended to be used. I have tried countless ROM's and kernels on my Nexus 7, to the point where the battery and everything is all messed up now. Even restoring the device back to stock several times and re locking the bootloader didn't seem to help. And the thing with rooting is, there are so many things you can do to the phone that it just becomes a mess somehow. Custom icons, skins, whatever.. all of it makes the experience more sluggish than it should be. Then you start flashing kernels to overclock and underclock, and after a while the whole thing just turns into a mess. At least that's my experience.

Sense 6 is a very light skin and not very bad at all, nowhere near as intrusive as the ridiculous Touchwiz. I think you may even like it. Either that, or just get the Google Play edition of the M8, I think that would be your best bet.

Like I said, someone has already made a toolkit for it, and if you follow the thread there should be videos and stuff in there as well which walk users through it. Here is the thread on XDA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699065

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #797 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 05:57:02 »

I assumed you would have to root the phone in order to apply updates your carrier didn't send to you, thats why I asked about rooting... so you can flash it without rooting?

One thing most people don't understand, especially if you use the iOS (which is relatively more uniform) is how android works across various devices.
The Android ecosystem is similar to how there's quite a few different linux distribution.
Every manufacturer basically mods Android for their devices (quite poorly at that too).
So Google will release Android KitKat and Samsung and HTC will take that code and turn it into Frankenstein.

So you can think of it like this Samsung uses Ubuntu and HTC uses Fedora. Except that while Ubuntu and Fedora actually develop, manage and upgrade their OS's by themselves. Samsung and HTC are reliant on Google to release a new version of Android before they themselves start modding it. Well that's a simple way of putting it and I know this isn't 100% accurate.

This creates basically so many different version of Androids that are different. So if you have a Samsung you're not actually running 4.4, you're running a Samsung customized ROM that's based on 4.4 In addition to these huge differences (again, it's like running a different distro you also have to factor in hardware differences).

It's very difficult to explain this to people.
That's why the Android market is so fragmented.
That's why people also place such a huge emphasis on stock and that's the significance of Google play edition devices.

So there's a catch.
Because your phones aren't open source like the Nexus, there's a chance your phone doesn't actually have a stock ROM for you to flash or at least not immediately. Alot of phones run into this issue.

Going back to your question.
Yes, you can flash a ROM without rooting.
You can't use an official OTA when you have a rooted device though. It'll brick your device.
It's like when you jailbreak your Iphone and install Cydia and that other thing, you can't upgrade your iOS without breaking your jailbreak. In this case though, it's your phone that breaks.
Every time you want to update, you have to flash a new ROM over your existing ROM.
There's also dirty flashing and clean flashing too ... anyways

Nexus and GPE devices have a wider variety of customs roms (that are tweaked by developers) due to open source and blah blah blah. Check out paranoid android for starters. You can get into this at our own time. Again, non nexus devices run the risk of not having stock roms which means developers can't do jack ****.

Some custom ROMs also let you OTA within their ROM "distro".
PA 3 -> PA 3.1 OTA yay!

Since you might always have to flash a new ROM, if you have root access you can backup your stuff to varying degrees to make this task easier.

So I went over this during that Nokia thread.

Anyways, you basically just need to unlock the bootloader (which wipes your device) and turnsoff any proprietary bull**** lock that your phone has to flash a ROM.

So rooting just gives root access which is not the same thing as flashing.
Rooting gives you root access. It's like getting admin access on your computer.
Flashing a ROM is like installing a new OS.
It's like if you had a laptop that was only designed to run on Fedora and then you flashed Redhat over it.

You guys have rooting on the iPhone but you don't really have the equivalent of Flashing a ROM.
You guys also don't have to deal with extensive fragmentation.

So it kinda breaks down like this.
If you have a Nexus  -> Stock OTA or Custom ROMs that are significantly different and improved.
If you have a non-nexus -> you need to hope that there's a stock rom out there that developers can use otherwise your options are very limited. Unlocking the boatloader + propietary things is also a pain the ass

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:13:38 by the1onewolf »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #798 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 05:57:41 »
alright cheers guys, I now know alot more than before! :)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #799 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:00:06 »
Kudos to HTC for making things easier on the m8.
Too bad there's not going to be any stock based ROMs until the GPE comes out.

Also that stock bit wasn't meant to criticize you, I just wanted to hash out the differences in android roms

Ugh sense.
Poor m8 bastards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:07:18 by the1onewolf »