Author Topic: [IC] LCARS keyboard set - GB LIVE!!!  (Read 126759 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [IC] LCARS keyboard set - TAKING VOTES
« Reply #500 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 10:10:53 »
Another quick update, everyone. After talking in detail with Signature Plastics, Moz and I have decided that we'll switch the processing/fulfillment provider for the eventual group buy on this project to Signature Plastics's own Group Buy site. The only reason we didn't do this before was that this option simply wasn't available when we first were exploring this issue.

Massdrop was very friendly and accommodating to us early on, so I feel a bit bad to drop them (as it were) like this, but this change means that our group buy participants will not have to pay anything on top of the normal SP pricing. Given that this is shaping up to be a pretty high-end (and thus pricey) set, I think the resulting 15% price reduction is a bit of a no-brainer from the GH community perspective.

Also, FWIW, they appear still to be working out some kinks with their system, so the fact that we're not going to be the first set to run on their site is probably a good thing. As discussed above, I'll continue plodding along at my leisurely pace working out the details with SP, secure in the knowledge that if it takes a month or so to get things finally rolling, that's probably for the best anyway.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #501 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 10:18:26 »
Very good decision  :thumb:

I took part in the first GB for the Macross Set. Besides some minor problems right after the launch I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. I think all technical issues have been ironed out so I think it's a great service that provides good prices and security for the community.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #502 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 10:30:30 »
I concur t all norbauer has said above, SP has been very accommodating and been working extenisvely with us and GH over the past years and it is a good gesture to go with them.

Besides the price drop would be significant too.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #503 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 20:25:20 »
I support this decision. One step closer to reality :)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #504 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:12:24 »
I'd love to see the final mock up soon...

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #505 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 02:05:25 »
I'd love to see the final mock up soon...

Also keen to see the final mock up  ;D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #506 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:26:42 »
Glad to see everyone is on board with the PMK decision. I think it's going to be excellent.

Here is the CORE keyset mock-up with updated colors. The yellow will be a custom-matched Pantone color (141C) just for our set, since the normal SP color palette didn't accommodate anything that was appropriate to the original LCARS schemes.

LCARS looks the same as before but just with the updated colors.

I'm looking for input on how to break out the MODS sets, which we can now do in a more granular way. Here is what I was thinking: ISO, Tsangan, Gamer (WASD), and numpad extras (the three little keys, including the "00" for people with separate numpad keyboards). The other little extras (the "geekhack" key, alternate color "eject core," etc., I was thinking of simply rolling into the CORE set.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:33:48 by norbauer »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #507 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:30:32 »
Incidentally, here is a photo comparison of the screenprint dyesub process we'll be using (the center keys) compared to the normal SP dyesub process (the "7" keys on the far right and left). It's amazing how much crisper the legends yielded by this process are.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #508 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:07:17 »
I think these sets would be good:
Core - Simple TKL set as seen above, however all alphas standard with following deep-dish: E, F, H, J, N, T, U. Stepped-left stem 1.75u capslock, control, and full touch 1.25u capslock, 1.75u control
Numpad - Basic Numpad set with 5 deep-dish, 1u RCA 0, 1u RCA 00, 4 extra 1u keys BDJ, 1u SUM 141C, 1 extra 1u 141C
Tsangan - http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48839.0;attach=41306;image replace WIN with RCB 1u WIN, 141C 1u WIN, 1.5u caps lock
ISO - Short Shift, ISO Enter, @, ~#, \|
Ergodox - http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48839.0;attach=41190;image perhaps based on community input we can get some generic star trek themed legends.
Extras - GeekHack, Alternate Eject Core, Gamer Keys, Alternate MODS, Alternate spacebar, Alternate Ins/Del

Notes:
-- I am unsure if we need plane-jane mods, my vote goes for no, since I am happy with themed keys.
-- 1u RCA 0, 1u RCA 00, 1u SUM 141C, 1 extra 1u 141C - These 4 keys in numpad set are to add support for 1800 and other keyboards with separate 0 and 00 keys. The extra 141C key is for the position on 1800 generally occupied by "Pause/Break"
--  4 extra 1u keys BDJ for Ducky keyboards with numpad and 4 keys above numpad

Since we are going DSA dyesub now, I would like to re-propose the idea of having a parallel GB for copyright Star Trek logos done by IMSTO.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:55:54 by MOZ »

Offline wasabah

« Reply #509 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:39:51 »
Ergodox-Set: please, pretty, pretty please! :D

If not, at least the option for 1x, 1.5x and 2x blanks.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:41:38 by wasabah »
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #510 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:19:21 »
A legended 'dox set is gonna be hard, at least with asymmetric colors. Squarefrog and I just got through trying to generate a good set for Matt3o's GB based on key statistics, and the layouts we looked at were all over the place. The set we ended up with only tries to cover the common 1.5u and 2u keys missing from other sets, but isn't really a coherent set on it's own.

I suppose there might be a pattern to which keys are more common left vs right, however. Might be an interesting next step for our statistics...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #511 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:24:06 »
An advantage we have with this set is that we cna have STar Trek themed legends, so they don't really have to have the traditional legends, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #512 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 10:31:11 »
Hi Moz,

I'm breaking these mods sets apart now into the broad groups you outlined. I'm not super familiar with all the various exotic keyboard layouts out there, so I have a few quick questions just for clarification so I get things right:

Core - ... Stepped-left stem 1.75u capslock, control, and full touch 1.25u capslock, 1.75u control
Can you explain these a bit more, or show me a keyboard that has them so I can copy the layout in my mockup?

Numpad - Basic Numpad set with 5 deep-dish, 1u RCA 0, 1u RCA 00, 4 extra 1u keys BDJ, 1u SUM 141C, 1 extra 1u 141C
For the Ducky mod: did you mean 4 extra blank 1u BDJ keys in in addition to the four existing keys in the set above the numpad (ALPH, BETA, GAMM, DELT)?

ISO - Short Shift, ISO Enter, @, ~#, \|
See this image for what we worked out before with Lechner (ignore colors and other mods sets). Did you want a modification?

I am in favor of switching everything to trek-themed legends, so I was thinking rather than having them as mods just making the Ins and Del keys and Ctrl and Alt just be the LCARS versions (META, BUFFER, CON, OPS, etc.) in the core set. I'll still provide alternate Windows keys. Other than that, I think the alphanumerics are really the only ones that most people need in traditional legends. I think the set would be more internally consistent with alternate legends across the board.

Thanks!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #513 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 10:41:20 »
Some older boards have an off-enter capslock, and it is quite common for users to switch caps and ctrl keys.

As for the 4 extra keys, the Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta are the ones i was referring to.

ISO looks fine.

I too am in favour of Trek themed caps, however my question is should we include a set with traditional mods, as there are always some members who join the GB for the color-scheme and not the legends and would prefer "normal" legends.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #514 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:16:59 »
Some older boards have an off-enter capslock, and it is quite common for users to switch caps and ctrl keys.

Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying. Both on this and the other points.

Perhaps since the legends are treknobabble anyway, however, we don't need to worry about the caps and ctrl legends being backwards for people who go that route. Where possible I'm just trying to keep the number of keys in each set to the minimal because Melissa at SP has already warned me that the set is going to be even more expensive than your usual (already expensive) custom group buy, given all the upgraded technical processes we're employing to get the legends and colors to look just right. I suppose it's a delicate balance balance of getting people as many of the unusual keys they want as possible (one of the advantages of a community-driven GB) versus making the majority of participants pay extra to get keys that only a tiny minority (if anyone) will ever actually use/need. On a less expensive set (on a per-key basis), I would say that it would be less problematic.

I too am in favour of Trek themed caps, however my question is should we include a set with traditional mods, as there are always some members who join the GB for the color-scheme and not the legends and would prefer "normal" legends.

Given that the treknobabble legends are so pervasive within the set, I think the people buying just based on color will probably just have to cozy up to the unusual legends. By my quick count, just on the CORE keyset alone (leaving out the numpad), it's something like 25 legends we'd have to provide in their traditional form as mods. At that point, we're basically talking about a completely different second set with traditional legends—perhaps something to save for a second round if this set's color scheme proves to be sufficiently popular?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #515 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 13:38:58 »
Agreed on both points, if we go the way of the themes legends, we don't need to worry about the caps/control key switch. but having an off-center, stepped is still pretty necessary IMO.

To cut down on keys, I think we cna reduce the number of keys in the Tsangan a bit, particularly the 1u keys, I'll review the set and get back to you.

I have also pinged IMSTO on details whether he can do dye-sub on DSA.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #516 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 15:53:59 »
Agreed on both points, if we go the way of the themes legends, we don't need to worry about the caps/control key switch. but having an off-center, stepped is still pretty necessary IMO.

To cut down on keys, I think we cna reduce the number of keys in the Tsangan a bit, particularly the 1u keys, I'll review the set and get back to you.

I have also pinged IMSTO on details whether he can do dye-sub on DSA.

Agreed. I have already added the off-center caps to a small set of assorted modifiers.

I think the Tsangan is good. Since it's broken out separately, if it doesn't hit the MOQ, it won't hurt anybody else who wasn't in on that kit.

If you wouldn't mind organizing a parallel group buy with IMSTO for add-on keys, I'm cool with that. :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #517 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 15:57:19 »
Sounds good, I'm going to be getting you to still do mockups for the parallel GB

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #518 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:29:00 »
I thought I was done buying sets but I'd jump on this.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #519 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 14:28:07 »
OK everybody, here is the latest of the latest. Many small details have been reworked to make everything more consistent across the set and to implement several recommendations by Moz.

We have also broken up the buy into more granular sets to make things easier and more fair for the more rare kits. I create a sort of grab-bag of random add-ons that didn't fit in any other set and am calling it the "Battle Bridge set." It includes  a nifty GeekHack key. :)

Please scour these for any errors I might have made. Then hopefully we'll be ready to send these over as final to SP?
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 20:18:12 by norbauer »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #520 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 13:23:13 »
Corrections to two of the kits, as suggested by Moz.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #521 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 22:08:28 »
Hi all,

Quick update: the finalized specs have been sent over to SP.

As a side note, I thought I'd mention that Moz proposed to me by email some modifications to add legends to the blank keys in Ergodox and to create a 40% set, but I felt it was a bit too late in the game to be making substantive changes of that order. I made this point in an email to him a week or so ago and haven't heard back. So I decided to keep the process moving by going ahead and finalizing our specs with SP. I hope he and everyone else doesn't mind. The specs have finally stabilized for over a month now, and I think most people who have been on the thread would just like to see this thing happen rather than face the prospect of further cycles discussion and the inevitable concomitant delays.

At any rate, SP are currently working on the Group Buy and have told me that they'll have it rolling in early May; they'll be handling all manufacturing, order-taking, and fulfillment. I'll post here and create a new proper Group Buy thread when it is possible to actually start signing up for the Buy in the coming few weeks.

Offline divito

« Reply #522 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:52:06 »
Thanks for all your work!! Can't wait.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #523 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 09:57:25 »
Set phasers to Hype!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #524 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 08:45:34 »
At any rate, SP are currently working on the Group Buy and have told me that they'll have it rolling in early May; they'll be handling all manufacturing, order-taking, and fulfillment. I'll post here and create a new proper Group Buy thread when it is possible to actually start signing up for the Buy in the coming few weeks.

Great to see this baby is going to happen.  FINALLY getting some Star Trek caps for loads of keyboards, May will be an outstanding month for everyone here on Geekhack.  It would be great if we can get Picard on here to promote this Group Buy into the stratosphere and beyond..........
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 May 2014, 08:47:48 by Elrick »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #525 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:28:29 »
I'm waiting for this too. Any updates?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #526 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:32:25 »

Melissa at SP was on vacation for the last week of April and first few days of May. She said she'd get back to me at the beginning of May to get things rolling. I haven't heard back yet, so I'll send a little note to ping her and see where things are. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #527 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 17:19:36 »

Melissa at SP was on vacation for the last week of April and first few days of May. She said she'd get back to me at the beginning of May to get things rolling. I haven't heard back yet, so I'll send a little note to ping her and see where things are. :)

I heard back today from the folks running the Group Buy site (a contractor of SP), and they are currently working on getting the Buy into the system so Melissa can calculate pricing. I don't have any timelines yet, but I'll keep everyone posted. At least things are still moving forward—however slowly. ;)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #528 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:59:47 »
Thanks for the update.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #529 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 21:48:11 »
I heard back today from the folks running the Group Buy site (a contractor of SP), and they are currently working on getting the Buy into the system so Melissa can calculate pricing. I don't have any timelines yet, but I'll keep everyone posted. At least things are still moving forward—however slowly. ;)

Thanks for that.  Just would be good to FINALLY get a Star Trek themed set for Cherry MX goodness (or Novatouch)  :thumb: .

Very few well known themed key-sets are available mainly due to copyright issues but glad at least SP agreed to running this, hope all the keys comes out perfectly as originally envisioned.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #530 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 15:59:44 »
The Group buy is now live.

Please read full details and move the discussion from this thread over to the Group Buy thread.

Engage!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #531 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:23:17 »
Moz: would you mind updating the original post? The most important thing is pointing to the GB thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58263.0

:)

thanks!

Offline norbauer

Re: [IC] LCARS keyboard set - GB LIVE!!!
« Reply #532 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:20:32 »
The Group buy is now live.

Please read full details and move the discussion from this thread over to the Group Buy thread.

Engage!

Thanks Moz!

Offline tomperys

« Reply #533 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 11:12:19 »
Hi, I found this thread. Iam working on LCARS keyboard too but it will not be ordinary keybord. It will be more like "real"  StarTrek console... Touch controlled with capacitive sensors, lighted including sounds and of course LCARS graphics under the protective layer of Plexiglas.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #534 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 16:25:10 »
Hi, I found this thread. Iam working on LCARS keyboard too but it will not be ordinary keybord. It will be more like "real"  StarTrek console... Touch controlled with capacitive sensors, lighted including sounds and of course LCARS graphics under the protective layer of Plexiglas.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Sounds like a very interesting project!

A better place to post about it would be to create a new thread in making stuff together.  Pictures appreciated ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ