Author Topic: Slightly softer spring than MX Green?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Josasp

Slightly softer spring than MX Green?
« on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 07:39:06 »
Hi,

I just got a Shine 3 MX Green keyboard, since i think that the 45g springs are too soft for my fingers.
Greens are a lot better, but could just be slightly softer i think, are there any springs i can get that are sortof in between?

I might just get used to these anyways, but maybe i should order some softer springs, just in case.

Offline zoolzoo

Re: Slightly softer spring than MX Green?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 07:43:45 »
Greens are much heavier than 45g. Pretty much any spring would be softer except stock mx clear springs(?). Alas I dont think you go go "slightly" softer, youd just end up with something like an mx blue I believe.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline IronJoeJac

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 07:52:09 »
Greens are around 70g so you could get 65g springs.
CM Quickfire TK (blue)    HHKB PRO 2 Black

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 07:56:24 »
More like 80g. There are plenty of in between springs, but the closest switch you could get would be whites, which are clicky 55g
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Josasp

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:02:18 »
More like 80g. There are plenty of in between springs, but the closest switch you could get would be whites, which are clicky 55g

Yeah, as Greens are almost double of 45g they are more to my liking.
The this is that 45g springs get pushed down by the weight of my hands, and that I can't live with.
However 80g's are a bit too much, going to 55g I think might be too close to 45g.

I'm not looking to swap switches, but springs are cheap, and avalible in more varieties.

Could you guys recommend some springs for me and where to get them?
Because I'm pretty new to the kb community , so I'm not well read about difference between Korean and MX springes etc.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:04:23 »

The this is that 45g springs get pushed down by the weight of my hands, and that I can't live with.
However 80g's are a bit too much, going to 55g I think might be too close to 45g.

I'm not looking to swap switches, but springs are cheap, and avalible in more varieties.

Because I'm pretty new to the kb community , so I'm not well read about difference between Korean and MX springes etc.
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/accessories/products/springs
You can get 65g here

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline IronJoeJac

CM Quickfire TK (blue)    HHKB PRO 2 Black

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:07:14 »

Offline Josasp

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:17:24 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.0
Closed. But maybe you could bug him and see if there's extras

I see, but those look a bit expensive?
I just spent a bunch on this kb, so in not looking for any special premium springs.
I just want to pay as little as possible :P

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:19:01 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.0
Closed. But maybe you could bug him and see if there's extras

I see, but those look a bit expensive?
I just spent a bunch on this kb, so in not looking for any special premium springs.
I just want to pay as little as possible :P
Then just go with the originative ones. 65g is out of stock right now, but 62g is in and only $8

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 09:18:05 »
Keep in mind that in order to replace the springs on your Ducky you'll have to disassemble and desolder the switches from the board and open each one individually. Unless that crazy method of bending plates works on Ducky boards as well but I've had to disassemble mine.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 09:58:35 »

Important thing you need to know; MX springs refer to actuation force (45g at click, it's actually more like 50g), while Korean springs refer to bottom-out force.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 10:20:30 »
People saying greens have 70g and 80g confuses me, I thought it was around 85g? So 80g springs would be a bit lighter than stock?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:55:00 »
Well, really just about everything but greys have a lighter actuation. Even clear is lighter actuation. If you want both lighter actuation and lighter bottom out then black spring 60cN/80cN is a good choice. Most people use black spring to make 'ghetto' green anyway.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:24:45 »
Well, really just about everything but greys have a lighter actuation. Even clear is lighter actuation. If you want both lighter actuation and lighter bottom out then black spring 60cN/80cN is a good choice. Most people use black spring to make 'ghetto' green anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Black and Green switches both use the same heavy springs, just that the click mechanism increases the force required, no?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.