Author Topic: Co worker found this. Thought it might be useful to some.  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
Co worker found this. Thought it might be useful to some.
« on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 09:42:18 »
http://www.chicaandjo.com/2014/04/13/diy-colorful-computer-keyboard/

It's just a tutorial with step by step and pictures on how to color your key caps and make them actually feel nice and what products to use etc.

I just skimmed through it, but I thought someone here might appreciate this  :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Co worker found this. Thought it might be useful to some.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 14:35:15 »
I like this a lot. The colours do look cool, but I don't think I would want to try and paint my plate using that technique.

I do quite fancy painting my case, but I think the different cases for different boards (Razer being shiny, WASD being textured) would require different techniques.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 14:57:27 »
I like this a lot. The colours do look cool, but I don't think I would want to try and paint my plate using that technique.

I do quite fancy painting my case, but I think the different cases for different boards (Razer being shiny, WASD being textured) would require different techniques.

It might yea. I've only ever had textured boards and plates. I think those are more common, and the one used in the tutorial was textured. I would never color my keys though. Maybe I'd do it on a cheap ass rubber dome like this guy did, but never on really expensive/high quality caps or boards. I'm gonna stick to buying double shot caps with nice colors, but just thought some might like this link as another source for painting caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 17:04:46 »
That's very good consistency, even on black keycaps!

Shame about the legends though - I imagine you could get some stickers or similar to make something that looks more ... professional?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 17:13:40 »

Shame about the legends though - I imagine you could get some stickers or similar to make something that looks more ... professional?

I kinda like how it's hand drawn. Feels more relaxed. This might be a fun keyboard for your kids to use.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 17:23:44 »

I kinda like how it's hand drawn. Feels more relaxed. This might be a fun keyboard for your kids to use.

I sort of liked it at first, and the idea that you can create legends any way you want, but my handwriting is atrocious, and I imagine I'd need several tries to get anything remotely close to consistency.

Hence the sticker idea :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 17:28:42 »
Thats not going to last long, at least cover it in automobile clear paint to seal everything in.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 17:55:08 »
I might think of doing it to this set of ABS caps I got from WASD, because I hear they don't last all that long.

As for the font, you could maybe try and get some water transfers that you could apply and seal like they have done?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 18:15:18 »
Left-overs from a crap bag would be an ideal base for experimentation.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 18:51:22 »
This has been my secret for a long time now lol! I never buy keycaps, I just recolor them.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 13:20:30 »
Easy way to blank them...Warhammer 40k miniature painting meets mechanical keyboards...who woulda thought?

+1
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 13:30:21 »
To my knowledge, paint experiments on GH have generally ended up looking nice but wearing off over time.  I just skimmed the pics in this post, so maybe there's something new here?  The effect looks fantastic, regardless.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:23:12 »
To my knowledge, paint experiments on GH have generally ended up looking nice but wearing off over time.  I just skimmed the pics in this post, so maybe there's something new here?  The effect looks fantastic, regardless.

RIT dying had some success on Model M's a few years ago. but i always tell people never to paint your caps.  it will end in tears, whether immediately or 6 months down the line when they show wear and tear.

in short. dont do this. i have no faith in painting caps. 
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:31:13 »
Yeah, exactly.  RIT dying is actually what brought me to Geekhack in the first place. :)

Offline steve.v

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:33:56 »

RIT dying had some success on Model M's a few years ago. but i always tell people never to paint your caps.  it will end in tears, whether immediately or 6 months down the line when they show wear and tear.

4 years on my keycaps, no wear and tears :); quality paint goes a long way.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:35:32 »
Yeah, exactly.  RIT dying is actually what brought me to Geekhack in the first place. :)

So no RIT dye=no hashbaz :eek:

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:36:54 »
I probably would have found my way here eventually. ;D

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 07:37:58 »
http://www.chicaandjo.com/2014/04/13/diy-colorful-computer-keyboard/

It's just a tutorial with step by step and pictures on how to color your key caps and make them actually feel nice and what products to use etc.

I just skimmed through it, but I thought someone here might appreciate this  :)

no good, takes too much time and effort. results are not that lasting. paint is a layer on top; dye goes right inside.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:14:35 »

same here. lol.

4 years on my keycaps, no wear and tears :); quality paint goes a long way.

its not that i dont believe you. but i dont believe you. 

hundreds of people have tried painting caps on this site and many other places on the web.  99% of them end up looking like **** or the paint comes off over time. 

double shot caps have dyed plastic thoughout the entire mold. when anyone uses paint you are placing a thin layer of color over colored plastic.  all plastic wears over time.  thus the painted layer will rub off.

RIT dying is an exception to this since the dye actually seeps into the plastic.  the problem with RIT dying is that the caps never seem to come out a consistent color.  either individual caps have different tones on them or the set isnt uniform.  also i dont think you can RIT dye ligher than your base color.  i have only seen people do it with the beige model M caps.

look guys do whatever you want.  i am just saying that when i tried painted my caps i regretted it. 
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid