Author Topic: 7x Cherry PBT spacebar info  (Read 4409 times)

Offline intelli78

7x Cherry PBT spacebar info
« on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:02:27 »
I've been talking to several users (Photekq, CPTBadass, Pacifist, JDCarpe, cgbuen, etc.) about 7x PBT spacebars. There has been a good deal of confusion along the way, so I just want to document what I've learned for other people.

First, let me reiterate I'm talking about 7x space bars, which are for winkeyless layouts. Most new keyboards with the Filco/OEM layout have 6.25 spacebars.

7x PBT spacebars are most readily available on the Compaq MX 11800 board. They are pretty easy to find on eBay and have lasered full PBT, not dyesub. Unfortunately, their color doesn't exactly match reproduction Cherry sets from BSP like the one sold by Originative. If that's your goal, the cheapest option is to get a set of German Cherry dyesubs from ebay.de and take the space bar from that. However, these Cherry dyesubs come in both mono and 2tone configurations, and the 2tone set spacebars are more likely to match BSP than the mono tone sets.

Alternatively, you can go all the way $$$$$ and purchase a full PBT original English Cherry dyesub set, which only comes from keyboards in the G80 and G81 series with model numbers (G8*-****S***). You'll not only get a PBT space bar, but all PBT dyesub keys. There are also some G80/G81 with lasered PBT; the space bar from these sets will also work, but the rest of the keys may not be as desirable from a collectibility standpoint. These will have similar model numbers but with L instead of S.

When looking at Cherry boards, this is the layout that indicates possible PBT keycaps. If it's another layout, it's not guaranteed Cherry PBT. But, you must also verify the model number as per above. There are other boards like the G83 that have this layout, but with non MX switches.

There are some Desko sets with 7x PBT spacebar, but I don't know much about them.

All of these 7x spacebars will fit fine on modern winkeyless keyboards. Cherry G80/G81 6.25 and 6.0 spacebars have nonstandard stem spacing, but the 7x spacebars are standard.

Finally, while I believe this information to be accurate, it may not be complete. If anyone has questions, corrections, or additions, feel free to contribute. (This post updated with comments/corrections 4/20/2014.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 January 2015, 12:32:21 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: 7x PBT spacebar info
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:05:13 »
If youre looking for cheap 7x bars, 11800 is best option (but like you said the color is off)

If you want a more standard color, dyesub sets will have them, but dyesub sets are a bit expensive.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:07:04 »
If youre looking for cheap 7x bars, 11800 is best option (but like you said the color is off)

If you want a more standard color, dyesub sets will have them, but dyesub sets are a bit expensive.

Yes, I agree with these statements. Thanks for your input earlier!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:10:02 »
Any full PBT sets on G80, or G81 will have PBT spacebar whether dyesub or lasered sets. Color can vary, sets with 2tone will be most likely to match rather than mono sets. All 7x have the same stem positions as far as I am aware. On G81 it might be possible to encounter some without + normal stem mounts for the stabilizers on more recent production, but I have not encountered them. Otherwise there should be zero need to modify anything on the spacebar. I am using a Cherry 7x spacebar on my GH60 and it was a direct fit, and it appears to be the case with other customs like KMAC, GON, etc. that can use a 7x.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:14:39 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:19:15 »
Yeah, as Ivan has said, you don't ever need to mod a 7x Cherry spacebar.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:20:50 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:21:16 »
I want one :3
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:21:47 »
Okay, I must have misunderstood some other threads. There's a lot of discussion in old threads about off-center stem placement on Cherry caps lock and spacebar. can you guys explain what that pertains to?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:36:51 »
Cherry G80/G81 6.25 and 6 have the switch in the same position from the left edge as a 7x would... thus making it offset and not directly compatible with other brands. Stepped caps lock have the stem mount centered in the 1.25 portion and the switch is placed from the left edge as if it were a 1.25 key... it simply has a .5 spacer on the right.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 14:42:19 »
Compaq MX 11800 board. ... the keys are really nothing to write home about except for the fact it has the 7x PBT spacebar with standard stem positions.
I heard that some of these keyboards have thick 1u PBT keys while others have thin PBT keys. All are still lasered and in a shade that is specific for the Compaq MX 11800.

BTW, on my modified Compaq, I have the Compaq mods with lighter alphanumerics from a regular G80-3000. I like that the contrast between mods and non-mods is quite subtle.

German Cherry dyesubs from ebay.de and take the space bar from that.
There are also winkeyless Cherry keyboards with lasered thick PBT keys. The space bar is the same as when the other keys have dye-sub legends.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 14:44:23 by Findecanor »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 16:37:59 »
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll update the OP later.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:18:32 »
OP updated.

Offline cphead

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:19:59 »
Just wanted to say thanks for the informative post  :thumb:

Offline intelli78

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:31:34 »
Just wanted to say thanks for the informative post  :thumb:

You're welcome, but thanks go also to the gentlemen I mentioned in the OP, who provided much of this valuable info.  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:05:33 »
Just wanted to add some helpful posts related to this topic from the Simple Questions thread:

Hmm, well at the very least, are all (unmodified) 11800 boards guaranteed to have a PBT bar? There are quite a few on eBay.

yea 11800 has pbt

How are you so certain? I'm not sure. All the other Cherry boards I've bought with PBT caps have had ABS spacebars. Do you have a link?

My 11800 has PBT, and I really doubt cherry would put pbt on one board out of all of their boards

Are you REALLY sure they're PBT? Like, you've done the acetone test to the underside, and it wasn't affected? Because Cherry liked to make ABS spacebars in molds that had PBT stamped in them.

I can confirm Cherry G80-11800 has a thick PBT space bar (4 stems on the bottom totally).

7x Cherry PBT space bar weight: ~7.5g
7x GMK ABS space bar weight : ~6.8g
7x SP ABS space bar weight: ~6.2g

I can confirm Cherry G80-11800 has a thick PBT space bar (4 stems on the bottom totally).

7x Cherry PBT space bar weight: ~7.5g
7x GMK ABS space bar weight : ~6.8g
7x SP ABS space bar weight: ~6.2g

is the molding of the Cherry and GMK space bars exactly the same? (Including stems) If not, that could account for the weight difference rather than the density of the material.

They are not exactly the same but they have similar structures. The PBT space bar is hard and steady. It is not easy to bend the PBT one while the ABS is. Plus, the PBT space has well-finished shapes, surfaces and corners.  It is not easy to tell in the picture but I believe we all can tell which one is a PBT space bar when we touch it and try to bend it.

Here is my comparison between the three 7x space bars

Offline intelli78

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:55:48 »
Atrocious lighting, but here is an MX 11800 all-PBT spacebar with the Originative BSP set. The match is not exact, but it's not bad. If you didn't know there was a difference, you'd probably never notice.

off topic: I think I am going to desolder the right shift and nudge it over to the 2.75x position; don't think I'm going to get a beige 1.75x shift for a while.

Offline cphead

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 00:51:28 »
Atrocious lighting, but here is an MX 11800 all-PBT spacebar with the Originative BSP set. The match is not exact, but it's not bad. If you didn't know there was a difference, you'd probably never notice.

off topic: I think I am going to desolder the right shift and nudge it over to the 2.75x position; don't think I'm going to get a beige 1.75x shift for a while.

Show Image

How's the profile of those spacebars? It looks a bit off compared to the mods beside it.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:01:13 »
Judging from those winkeys and the f and j nubs it looks like he's using a BSP set, which are A profile.  A profile mods are a bit higher than "normal" mods, which is probably what you're observing.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:04:02 »
Correct. The spacebar is std Cherry profile. The mismatch is very minor and doesn't bother me, especially considering it's a full PBT spacebar. Worth it :D

Also, the perspective of the shot is distorting things and greatly exaggerating the perceived height difference.  It's quite a good match.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:06:00 by intelli78 »

Offline cphead

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:09:57 »
Judging from those winkeys and the f and j nubs it looks like he's using a BSP set, which are A profile.  A profile mods are a bit higher than "normal" mods, which is probably what you're observing.

Correct. The spacebar is std Cherry profile. The mismatch is very minor and doesn't bother me, especially considering it's a full PBT spacebar. Worth it :D

Also, the perspective of the shot is distorting things and greatly exaggerating the perceived height difference.  It's quite a good match.

Thanks for the info guys.  ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 09:15:26 »
Spacebar is always a bit off from the modifiers. Spacebar profile is taller than B profile and shorter than A profile.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710