Author Topic: Making a Vertical 1.5x Keycap for IBM XT  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Making a Vertical 1.5x Keycap for IBM XT
« on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:42:50 »
I am reconfiguring an IBM XT keyboard. I have remapped the vertical Return key as Backspace, and I would like to replace the stock 1-piece Return key with a 1x stem and vertically oriented 1.5x red keycap. The problem is, the two-piece IBM stem and cap keys have the stem oriented horizontally, and if you try rotating the keycap 90 degrees, it will not fit onto the stem. Moreover, the stem can only be oriented one way into the key barrel. It seems that the most straightforward solution is to use something like a Dremel to grind away the mounts inside the keycap and then glue the modified keycap onto the stem. However, if anyone has a better solution, please let me know. Thanks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Making a Vertical 1.5x Keycap for IBM XT
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 17:03:17 »
Maybe I misunderstand, but I can't get my mind around this scenario.

61458-0

A vertical 1.5 would have gaps above and below it.

But I think that the short answer to your question is: Dremel +donor parts + epoxy

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 17:07:39 »
Ive also thought about this. Yes, there are gaps, but then you dont need to deal with 1x BS. Only problem is the enter. My plan is either butcher a bigger key or attach it to the ~ key and disable the ~ key

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 09:15:11 »
Thanks for your replies. Tried the Dremel solution, but it did not work well. After much consideration, I have remapped the keyboard again in a different way that is working for me. On the XT keyboard, the right bracket key ( ] ) is 1.25x; I decided to change this to the Backspace key; I am using a 1.25x blank that I got from Unicomp. The key directly below on the original layout is the Backquote ( ` ); I have made this the Return key. The former Return key is now the right bracket key, and the original Backspace is now the Backslash ( \ ) key. This makes the layout similar to that of the HHKB Pro 2 so that it is easier for me to change back and forth between the IBM XT and the HHKB. This layout leaves some gaps above and below the new right bracket key, but I do not mind; the layout is quite functional.

BTW, other HHKB-like remappings on the XT include making the KeyPad multiply (* and PrtSc) the Fn key -- just right of the right shift. In addition, the bottom row remappings are as follows:

F9 ---> Control
F10 ---> Option (Alt)
Alt ---> Command
Space = Space
CapsLock = Command
0/Ins = Option (Alt)
./Del = Control

Currently, I am using a Hagstrom converter to connect the XT keyboard to my Mac, and KeyRemap4Macbook software for remapping. The keyboard is shared by Mac, Windows, and Linux machines using Synergy software. It all works just fine. Nevertheless, eventually I would like to install a Teensy and use Soarer's Converter.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 11:37:25 »
You could rotate the barrel on the keyboard rather than modifying the cap, they tend to be more solid. If you have a donor board you could easily cut a square hole round the barrel(s) and then shape the donor barrel to the same size, if you wanted to try the key rotation again sometime.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 11:59:43 »
You could rotate the barrel on the keyboard rather than modifying the cap, they tend to be more solid.

Great idea!

The XT barrels have the cylindrical alignment stud directly beneath the barrel, if this weren't an isolated key it might not even need it, being held in place by its neighbors, but here you will probably want something to keep it in proper alignment.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:53:53 »
You could rotate the barrel on the keyboard rather than modifying the cap, they tend to be more solid. If you have a donor board you could easily cut a square hole round the barrel(s) and then shape the donor barrel to the same size, if you wanted to try the key rotation again sometime.
Thanks for the interesting idea; I hadn't considered the possibility of rotating the barrel. Sounds like a good drinking song: "Rotate the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun...." However, so far my revised layout is working well with the right bracket key repurposed as the Backspace.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 10:34:17 »
Thanks for the interesting idea; I hadn't considered the possibility of rotating the barrel. Sounds like a good drinking song: "Rotate the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun...." However, so far my revised layout is working well with the right bracket key repurposed as the Backspace.

I would recommend trying to get used to the layout.

I am now quite used to this layout. I can get used to different layouts without too much trouble. The only damn thing I am still NOT used to, is that infuriatingly stiff spacebar. I was grousing about it last September, and still am grousing about it now!

Two thumbs down for the spacebar! (BTW, that's exactly how you should use it - with both thumbs.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 18:01:37 »
that infuriatingly stiff spacebar.

I am pretty sure that somebody (wcass? akimbo?) had a mod to bend the wire a bit and lighten it up. Assuming that you can get it on and off, of course.

Also, when a spacebar is 3/4 of a mile long, it has to have some muscle in it.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 22:18:24 »

I am pretty sure that somebody (wcass? akimbo?) had a mod to bend the wire a bit and lighten it up. Assuming that you can get it on and off, of course.

dunno why some people like 10x spacebars. These are not cool in my mind. 1x spacebars are the way to go - light and easily actuated, and leaving lots of space for other function keys. In fact I got a Cherry POS for that very reason.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:18:16 »

dunno why some people like 10x spacebars. These are not cool in my mind. 1x spacebars are the way to go - light and easily actuated, and leaving lots of space for other function keys. In fact I got a Cherry POS for that very reason.
I agree. I type with my thumbs in the center of the spacebar, and so I could get by with something much smaller than most standard spacebars (and certainly smaller than the monster spacebar on my XT). I like the look of the space bar on the Japanese version of the HHKB. On the other hand, I don't mind the high actuation pressure on the spacebar and other keys on my XT keyboard; in fact, I prefer it.