Author Topic: [Interest check] Metal case for TKL Filcos  (Read 34606 times)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
[Interest check] Metal case for TKL Filcos
« on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 19:14:13 »
Edit 3:

Okay well I took measurements (in millimeters), downloaded an educational version of AutoCAD, struggled for a bit to figure out how it works, then came up with dimensions for the front face so far.
I forgot to add the LED holes, will do that later.

Here's the AutoCAD file if anyone wants it. Basically a key has a width of 18mm and the space between keys is 1mm. I might go over the casing dimensions between clusters and from clusters to the edge of the case again as I'm going to borrow a set of calipers from my friend. These were done using just a ruler. http://www.mediafire.com/?88ky2a0njbcdtt6

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 36289[/ATTACH]

I have to take care of the 3D aspects of it next. Have to learn how to use AutoCAD a bit more before I tackle that.

----

Edit2: I have exams until December 16th, so I won't start working on it till after that.

Edit: Just bought a Filco TKL second hand from the classifieds here because I like brown more than blue so will probably be doing a case for that instead. Waiting for it to arrive in the mail then I'll take some measurements and try to get as many as I can made, which will probably be at most 10. The price will probably be about $30-50 for the case itself and I'll be paying for them all myself and worrying about selling them after, so you won't have to prepay or anything. If and when I do get them, I'll be giving priority to the people that replied first.

---

So I recently found out that my friend's dad owns a metalworking company and I asked him if he would be able to make a metal case for my Leopold TKL and we're currently exploring that option. At first I was just going to get one for myself, but then thought that other people here might be interested as well. I wanted to see if I could design something that worked with TKL Leopolds, Filcos and anything else of similar dimension.

I was just going to do the top part of the two part case, because the bottom part has all the cable routing channels and would be considerably harder to manufacture. Also, since you generally don't look at the bottom it's not such a big deal. The next thought that came to mind then was how to attach the metal top to the original bottom, as I'm not sure if replicating the little plastic snap in system that the original Leopold case uses is feasible because the metal likely wouldn't be flexible enough to insert and remove in such a system. I was also wondering if other keyboards use something else.

In any case, if somebody with a TKL keyboard other than a Filco is interested, could you take some precise measurements of your casing (preferably in millimeters)? Things I would need are the size and position of each of the key area cut-outs (esc key area, each of the F* key areas, insert/delete/etc area, and so on), the distance from these areas to the edge of the casing, where any holes for the USB cable would need to be cut and some information/measurements regarding how the top part of the case attaches to the bottom.

Hopefully the cases between the different brands are similar enough that it would need little to no changes between them. If somebody has a good idea about how to attach the metal top to the original bottom I'd be glad to hear it. I'm not sure about how much something like this costs or when we're going to actually get it done, but I was just trying to see if other people were interested so that I can make a more adaptable design rather than just making one for a TKL Leopold.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2012, 15:46:30 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 19:18:57 »
Filco, plu-87, CM Storm quick/rapid fire, and a few others are all extremely similar as they are made by the same place.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 19:58:09 »
About measurements, I think that you should check the thread for The Phantom -- which is a PCB (and plate?) for a Filco Tenkeyless case. There has been talk about different keyboard cases in there.

I would suggest that you don't make it fit the original Leopold bottom. Instead, I think that you should design it so that the bottom is made from a piece of sheet metal (or plastic) that fits inside the bottom opening of a routed top case. Then the bottom would not have to be routed, only to be cut and get some counter-sunk screw holes. Use additional plastic spacers (stock parts) to screw it together. If people want to lift the back, then they could put some lifters in the screw holes (see the thread about the alu poker).

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 20:57:07 »
Your friend's dad is going to be like, "What's the point of getting metal keyboard cases?"

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 23:56:22 »
Quote from: Findecanor;421789
I would suggest that you don't make it fit the original Leopold bottom. Instead, I think that you should design it so that the bottom is made from a piece of sheet metal (or plastic) that fits inside the bottom opening of a routed top case. Then the bottom would not have to be routed, only to be cut and get some counter-sunk screw holes. Use additional plastic spacers (stock parts) to screw it together. If people want to lift the back, then they could put some lifters in the screw holes (see the thread about the alu poker).

I have an arcade stick (think arcade cabinet joystick and buttons) I made of wood in this way. The thing that's different here is that the Leopold has cable channels along the original bottom and the detachable USB cable attachment point is not coming out from the back side of the top piece but from partway along the bottom plate inside the channelling, though I suppose it could be moved to stick out through the side.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline Mr.Zergling

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 00:23:27 »
How much are we talking in terms of price? I would be interested at about ~30 USD, even though I know that probably won't be feasible.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 00:41:05 »
I have a tenkeyless leopold. I wouldn't want something that was chrome, but a nice brushed aluminum similar to mac cases or a black anodized finish would be awesome. I don't really feel like taking mine apart though. A top half would be great.

Offline Waterdr1nker

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 00:54:24 »
I would be interested in some type of brushed/matte aluminum for my Filco. It would heavily depend on the price as well.
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline calavera

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 00:55:53 »
You're doing this just for looks then?

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 01:22:36 »
Well... yeah, why else? Lol

Offline eyeshield21san

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 03:34:35 »
I would love a red anodized aluminum look.

Offline Tanooki

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 09:11:06 »
If a full 104 key could be done and it was a brushed metal design I would definitely get one.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 09:57:06 »
I'm interested in stainless steel cases for the KBC Poker,
depending on the price I'd buy more than one... :)

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 11:07:00 »
Interested depending on price
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 12:56:36 »
For those that are interested in using it with something other than a Leopold, can someone provide me with measurements so I can see just how similar they are?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 15:16:06 »
Quote from: oneproduct;422131
For those that are interested in using it with something other than a Leopold, can someone provide me with measurements so I can see just how similar they are?

The case design of the KBC Poker is much more simple,
just a bottom part (~293x102x27mm) and no top...

Offline Spharx

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 15:43:49 »
I am interested but i fear that the ridiculous shipping costs from the us / canada to the eu will kill, like always, the deal ;(
Could you upload the generated CAD file when it is done ? Maybe someone in the eu could handle out something.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 16:46:24 »
Quote from: ripster;422136
The measurement from main to arrow cluster is quite important since it differs between Filco/Leopolds and others.   Details here.

Good to know. Would be nicer to have the measurement of the thickness of the casing between the clusters though as that leaves less room for error than measuring between the center of the first switches in the clusters. Would also need the distance from the main cluster to the function row and the spacing between and all other relevant things still.

@TheSoulhunter
Indeed it is and there's some sort of group buy going on for it already. I actually just got my Poker in the mail today, so maybe I'll see about making a case for that as well, though it's likely that the one from the other group buy will be a better fit.

@Spharx
Still awhile before things get done, but if they do I'll be sure to send you whatever we end up using, feel free to remind if I ever post some pictures of a finished product, but for the next few days I'm drowning in school work. After that I'll start working on the details of this. Just trying to collect some information for now.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 11:59:26 »
Quote from: oneproduct;422295
Indeed it is and there's some sort of group buy going on for it already. I actually just got my Poker in the mail today, so maybe I'll see about making a case for that as well, though it's likely that the one from the other group buy will be a better fit.
Where? I saw a steel case on the KBC forums, but it was a unikat and sold already :/

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 14:03:57 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;422766
Where? I saw a steel case on the KBC forums, but it was a unikat and sold already :/

Over here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22304-Aluminum-case-for-Poker

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 22:16:48 »
Oh, that one, but thats aluminum...
Was talking about something like this ;)

Offline Index

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 13:51:58 »
I'm interested in a Leopold Metal Case.
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 15:54:48 »
I'd probably be interested, depending on price and appearance.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline chenga91

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 06:27:46 »
Interested, depending on price.
Currently Using:
~Leopold Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown~
~Razer Deathadder Black Edition~
~Artisan Hien Soft, Medium Size~

Offline N8N

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 08:36:55 »
My interest level is growing, depending on price, now that it looks like there will be a Leopold TKL clear switch version available.

I said I wasn't going to buy any more boards, BUT...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 22:36:42 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;423125
Oh, that one, but thats aluminum...
Was talking about something like this ;)

Man if it looks anything like that I am down.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 23:15:44 »
might be interested, depending on price

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 04:51:20 »
This would get a lot more traction if it fit filcos.

If we were able to get filcos to work, this paired with The Phantom board that we are working on would be amazing. I had planned on buying a PLU 87 just for the case, but this, even if it is a lot more expensive would be a much better option.

Sent from my EVO
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline flyball

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 06:03:55 »
wheres the price
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 10:18:01 »
Will let you know when I figure out the price, but in the brief conversations about it that I've had with my friend it would probably be between $30-50. He said that I wouldn't have to pay anything to use the equipment itself, just for the materials and the labor. He also told me that his dad's shop is mostly for specialty things that can't be made on an assembly line, i.e. he does mostly custom, one-of-a-kind things that he sells for quite a high price, so he doesn't want to make these in mass quantities, but he wouldn't mind making "several" of them. Not sure how many he means by that, but I'm guessing not more than 10 or so, but that seems to be about the level of interest for now.

I'm really occupied at university right now with midterms so I can't quite start giving this the attention it needs but I'll let you know when something starts happening. For the moment I was really more just trying to see if there was enough interest to see if it was worth me trying to get more than one made, and obviously people are interested. If somebody does want it for something like a Filco, I still need measurements though as I only have a Leopold, not only in terms of the spacing of the keywells but also where I would need to put a hole for the USB cable.

I'm still not sure exactly how I want to do the bottom piece, if at all, because I wouldn't be able to mimic the cable routing that the Leopold has on the bottom and I'm not sure if there would be another way to get the detachable mini USB to get to the plug if I didn't have the routing on the bottom. I'll have to open up my case again and see if I can move the mini USB attachment point so that it could reach the backside of the case rather than being in the middle of the bottom side, but even then you'd the lose the routing options and right now I'm actually using the left side route rather than the straight back one, so I'm not too eager to lose it.

I'd like more opinions on that. Should I just make a top metal piece and leave the original bottom so the routing stays intact? It would also keep the cost towards the lower side and leave things more simple, but then you'd have a metal case top with a plastic bottom, but you never see the bottom so I'm not sure that matters. I'm sure that there are some of you that wouldn't be interested without it being fully metal though. Makes me wish that I had a Filco because it would be so much easier to decide in that case as the Filco bottom is flat I assume.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 14:08:48 »
If the material is thick enough it should be possible (tho slightly more expensive) to mimic the original routing by milling grooves in the bottom, no?
Btw, I made this drawing 3 years ago for a similar project (never happened, lost access to the machines at work),
dont remember how accurate it was, but apart from the LED holes it seems correct,
perhaps its a good start for a Filco case...

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 14:26:23 »
I'm fine with a plastic bottom and only supplying the top piece. I'm in if its in that price range. Black anodized would be my preferred color, as it is subtle but sexy and would match perfectly with a lot of my other stuff. For example, this:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28401[/ATTACH]

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 15:19:03 »
If you are going to make it, even if you don't have access to the machinary, as long as you have the CAD drawing file, you can always find some CNC shop to make more for your for the cost of material and labor.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 15:22:09 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;429018
If the material is thick enough it should be possible (tho slightly more expensive) to mimic the original routing by milling grooves in the bottom, no?
Btw, I made this drawing 3 years ago for a similar project (never happened, lost access to the machines at work),
dont remember how accurate it was, but apart from the LED holes it seems correct,
perhaps its a good start for a Filco case...

There would be too much to cut in order to make the groove for the USB attachment point I think. The metal would have to be quite thick. I'm fairly certain that if I were going to do a metal bottom I would just see if the attachment point could be moved to the back of the case similar to how it is on a Filco. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that when I opened up the case I noticed that the cable was quite long, so that's probably feasible if I were going to do that.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28405[/ATTACH]

If those measurements are accurate then that would be an excellent start for a Filco case. The only thing missing is the position and size of the hole for the USB cable.

Quote from: Ragnorock;429026
I'm fine with a plastic bottom and only supplying the top piece. I'm in if its in that price range. Black anodized would be my preferred color, as it is subtle but sexy and would match perfectly with a lot of my other stuff. For example, this:

(Attachment Link) 28401[/ATTACH]

I don't think he has any machinery to do that, so if you wanted to get it anodized you'd have to find someplace of your own to get it done.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 16:58:48 »
So what kind of look is it going to be then? Brushed aluminum?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 17:07:34 »
Might end up doing some in aluminum (will see if brushed is possible, though smooth is pretty snazzy too I think) and some in steel and then people can pick what they prefer. If you end up not liking the look of either it's no big deal, I'm not asking people to commit. I'm going to pay for it up front with my own money and worry about finding them homes after, or better yet, I might just start with one of each and then make more if people like the look. When I have something to show I'll take some pictures and people can decide then, I just wanted to know if there was interest to know if I should plan to make more than one and to be able to make layouts for brands other than the Leopold since there are many others that are similar in shape.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 October 2011, 17:13:10 by oneproduct »

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 17:15:11 »
Yeah, that works. Like I said I'm in for one pretty much regardless of the finish, it's probably going to go really well with my setup no matter what.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 10:09:06 »
If it fits a CM Storm I am 100% in for one.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 13:29:04 »
I am interested in one of these cases depending on what it look like and how much it is going to cost.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 18:31:18 »
I am fully interested in one of these pending the final look.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 02:03:32 »
semi interested as well.

Offline oddsratio

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 22:58:34 »
interested in one, if you don't have too many orders yet.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 07:09:34 »
Interested in one depending on look, weight and price.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2011, 13:04:56 by keyboardlover »

Offline Bongoojingie

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 09:22:10 »
Interested as well if it will fit a Filco.
Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G

Offline xbb

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 16:04:49 »
interested, Filco / CM Storm / Poker

Offline ZombieAttack27

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 12:21:55 »
Interested in the leopold/filco/poker.... screw the cm storm.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 14:18:58 »
Do you have the measurements that you need for the filco?

Offline Spharx

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 19:43:35 »
News from me: I've found a place where I possibly could use a cnc machine for a pretty low payment ;)
Now I need only some aluminum and the files for the machine cutting tasks.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 20:09:31 »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 03:39:47 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;434673
Do you have the measurements that you need for the filco?

Someone had some measurements before but he said that maybe the LED holes weren't in the right place and it was also missing the position where the hole would need to be cut for the USB cable and where the screws go through the bottom to join into the top I believe. I think if you go back a page or two you should be able to find it, would be great if someone could confirm.

Though as I mentioned I'm only going to be able to get about 10 of these made when I do get around to it (still in midterm season at university so preoccupied for another week or two) and now it looks like there's /too/ much interest heh. I haven't counted how many people were interested but if there's 10 leopold people in here it's likely that I'll stick to that one design to keep things cheap and simple.

I'll try to give this thread a little bit more attention when I get some time but I think geekhackers are familiar with waiting a long time for group buys so I'm not too worried. In any case, I won't ask people to pay up front because I don't even have all the details prepared and when the time comes I'll pay for everything then worry about trying to sell them to people who are interested.

Quote from: Spharx;435709
News from me: I've found a place where I possibly could use a cnc machine for a pretty low payment ;)
Now I need only some aluminum and the files for the machine cutting tasks.

Oh? What kind of a price are you getting from there? Aluminum itself is very inexpensive, like maybe $4 for a sheet to use for a keyboard case so that shouldn't be a problem. If the price is reasonable might be better to go with that since I'd imagine you'd be able to make as many as you want whereas the place I'd be using is doing me a favor and I wouldn't be able to get too many.