Author Topic: Cherry PBT Dye Sub Keyboards on eBay  (Read 76157 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Cherry PBT Dye Sub Keyboards on eBay
« on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 13:00:44 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130776235154

Not really a great find, since a bunch of noobs are fighting it out, with 2 full days to go.  They have 20 feedbacks combined across 6 bidders.  The bid history is fun to see. http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=130776235154&showauto=true

If you are one of the bidders, you are doing it wrong.  Either someone will snipe it from you right before the auction ends, or you absolutely over bid. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 13:04:24 by litster »

Offline dreamingftw

Re: Cherry PBT Dye Sub Keyboards on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 13:51:49 »
Why is this so expensive again?

Offline limmy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 13:54:19 »
Here are past prices:
May 13,2011 - $435 + shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/200605537797 - NIB
Jun 19, 2011 - $315 + shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/200619118890 - NIB

I wonder how much this one will sell. Dyesub caps are good, but I am not willing to pay that much. We should remember that those are auction prices which is maximum of the submitted prices. If anyone is buying them in hopes reselling, it is likely that the person is going to suffer losses because the winner is paying on top of everyone who wants to buy them.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:12:05 »
LOL... that much for boring beige set on a crappy MY board... and I only paid $10 for my blue on grey Cherry dyesub set which even was on an MX. Not sure I have even seen the NCR G81-3000 with dyesub go for that much, and it even has a nice casebody to use as well.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:57:57 »
Is this auction serious....$355????  Jesus christ.

Offline Amble

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 15:02:03 »
That is a lot of new ebayers...  :eek:

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 15:56:25 »
15 idiots and counting...
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline litster

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:06:26 »

Nope.  15 bids from 6 different bidders.  Not 15 different bidders, or idiots as you put it.

Offline Amble

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:20:13 »
It just goes to show how much imsto could make if he made a beige/gray set with cherry font.  Not that much obviously,  but he would have no shortage of buyers. One can dream.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:23:43 »

Nope.  15 bids from 6 different bidders.  Not 15 different bidders, or idiots as you put it.

Well, this is embarrassing...

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:45:33 »
Hey! I have one. It's in a really bad shape with missing keys/springs/stems... But maybe I can still get $150 for it. I was lucky to get it when it was cheap - only $25.
Keyboardless

Offline litster

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:52:23 »
It just goes to show how much imsto could make if he made a beige/gray set with cherry font.  Not that much obviously,  but he would have no shortage of buyers. One can dream.

These genuine Cherry dye sub PBT keycaps are so expensive because they are hard to find, and they are not being made any more, and most of all, they are genuine Cherry.  Are they worth this much?  Maybe so, to the people who are bidding. 

IMSTO's PBT caps are still in production and are not made by Cherry. 

Offline Amble

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:59:33 »
These genuine Cherry dye sub PBT keycaps are so expensive because they are hard to find, and they are not being made any more, and most of all, they are genuine Cherry.  Are they worth this much?  Maybe so, to the people who are bidding. 

IMSTO's PBT caps are still in production and are not made by Cherry. 

Wait, so your telling me imsto might have these after all?  Genuine Cherry is nice, but if I can get something that looks and feels bascially the same for one-third the price I am all in.  PBT and Cherry font is the end all be all for me. :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 17:55:50 »
LOL... that much for boring beige set on a crappy MY board... and I only paid $10 for my blue on grey Cherry dyesub set which even was on an MX. Not sure I have even seen the NCR G81-3000 with dyesub go for that much, and it even has a nice casebody to use as well.
I'll give you $20 for that blue on grey dyesub 'board. You'll turn a nice profit.

While these "can" be found for super low prices, I don't think it's the norm. Everyone knows Cherry Dyesubs are rare, so they go for a lot. Me, I'd go imsto.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 18:46:22 »
Wait, so your telling me imsto might have these after all?  Genuine Cherry is nice, but if I can get something that looks and feels bascially the same for one-third the price I am all in.  PBT and Cherry font is the end all be all for me. :)

He has them, yeah.  Look in his vendor subforum.  The catch is that he only has grey and blue keys right now.  What most people want is the classic white/grey colorscheme.

Offline Amble

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 19:08:27 »
He has them, yeah.  Look in his vendor subforum.  The catch is that he only has grey and blue keys right now.  What most people want is the classic white/grey colorscheme.

I have that exact same set (gray with blue modifiers).  I am in the same boat... can't wait for the classic colors. :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 19:25:29 »
It's ironic that you guys all laugh at them and call them idiots, and to turn around and look at us and see that most of us will jump on a $50 CC, and even pay up to $500 for a single one. What something is worth is relative to the buyer.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 19:37:33 »
When imsto brings back white/beige with cherry legends, this will be obsolete. I know some people just like collecting originals, but in the end it's the same s**t.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 20:06:02 »
That keyboard has an integrated card reader too.

Did anyone notice that??
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline litster

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 20:07:34 »
It's ironic that you guys all laugh at them and call them idiots, and to turn around and look at us and see that most of us will jump on a $50 CC, and even pay up to $500 for a single one. What something is worth is relative to the buyer.

How much one values genuine Cherry PBT dye sub is one thing.  Showing your high bids 2 days before the eBay auction ends is another. 

Offline litster

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 19:14:04 »

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 14:17:04 »
Well that was crazy...

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 14:18:22 »
LOL $405....

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 14:50:18 »
When imsto brings back white/beige with cherry legends, this will be obsolete. I know some people just like collecting originals, but in the end it's the same s**t.
They feel really different ._.

Oh and it wasn't me that won
Keyboardless

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 15:40:30 »
HA! I got another Cherry dyesub MX last night for $35 shipped off ebay BIN listing. It's got Spanish sub legends side printed in orange too, and another windowed full touch shift lock key. Awesome. Got my eye on another one thats in auction in green legends. More people need to do thier homework and find the other 'brands' Cherry OEM'd for. Maybe after the green one auction ends I will share as there are a few more in blue just like one I already have. I just don't want the competition LOL.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 14:55:12 »
Ok, so they aren't exactly keyboards, but... a goldmine of dyesubs on old TA/Royal electronic typewriters. Some models are MX, some MY, but be careful, some aren't Cherry even though they look like it at first glance.
These Beta models are Cherry, as well as some Alpha, Gabrielle and Satellite models.
They can be had cheap and come in several colors, so some interesting alpha sets for sure. The con is you won't get complete set for modern board, but for $30-60 average instead of $300+ it's a reasonable trade off if you ask me.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:01:06 »
Ok, so they aren't exactly keyboards, but... a goldmine of dyesubs on old TA/Royal electronic typewriters. Some models are MX, some MY, but be careful, some aren't Cherry even though they look like it at first glance.
These Beta models are Cherry, as well as some Alpha, Gabrielle and Satellite models.
They can be had cheap and come in several colors, so some interesting alpha sets for sure. The con is you won't get complete set for modern board, but for $30-60 average instead of $300+ it's a reasonable trade off if you ask me.

Contrariwise, if you could find a working Beta typewriter, you could use (e.g.) Qwerkeys' or WASD's keycaps to make an awesome typewriter!

Edit to add a question:

Is there a source for good information about which models had MX switches?  I've been missing having an actual typewriter and if I can, would be totally into pimping one out with new keycaps.  For sure I'd then make the originals available to GH folk.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:25:31 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:31:02 »
The only one I know for a fact 100% has MX is Triumph Adler 825, as I have had one personally. Otherwise I am not sure about all other models. Out of the 3 I linked I think the satellite would be the best candidate as it is older. Most of the later ones that used Cherry at all seem to be MY as I suppose it was more cost effective.
As I said, I have one on it's way and am mostly only interested in the caps, though if it has more of the MX white linears I will want those too... but even still if you're willing to pay shipping on it I would be willing to send it on to you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:33:31 by lysol »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:42:08 »
Thanks; that could work out.  I'd have to pay shipping anyhow.

Let me know if the machine is fully functional and clean enough to dress up with new keys.  Also, I assume you'd leave the typewriter-specific keys intact.

Thanks again,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 21:34:56 »
You think that alpha 700d really has MX compatible keycaps with green legends? If so: It's worth it!

I'll make an offer on just the caps, and see if I can get him to pull them for me. Sellers sometimes do.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 07:59:11 »
Oh no, it has begun.

I had a dream about these typewriter keycaps last night, and I don't even like them!

YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CAN'T ESCAPE FROM THE KEYBOARDS INSIDE OF YOU

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 11:34:52 »
Kurrk over at DT discoverd it, I just expanded my search to find more models... you can see the thread, I think the Alpha and Beta are nearly identical to the gabriele model there, which is MY based.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 19:02:34 »
Well I just bought one for $1, so that "best offer" thing might be worthwhile.

Offline chaosstep

• From Hell
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 22:35:49 »
let them go. lol, It's fun.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 10:19:27 »
Nice dv. Did you go for the Alpha? We'll see who gets thiers first now LOL.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:58:31 »
Nice dv. Did you go for the Alpha? We'll see who gets thiers first now LOL.
Yep, but I convinced him to just sell me the keycaps. I wasn't expecting him to accept my $1 offer, so we settled in the middle, for $15-$20 shipped for just the caps.

I'll post my disappointment or excitement when they arrive. They went out on the 11'th.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:09:00 »
One of mine should be arriving today, provided ups actually bother to knock so I can accept delivery...

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:30:27 »
One of mine should be arriving today, provided ups actually bother to knock so I can accept delivery...

sometimes if you leave a gaudy enough note they'll take notice and do whatever it tells them to do, like knock or leave the package :D

definitely would like to see some pics of those though, looking forward to the reverse side especially

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 11:02:50 »
I don't think they even come to the door sometimes to be honest. Like they just assume weekday no one home and don't even really make an attempt. I prefer to have everything sent usps since I've never had problems with the post not delivering things, but some sellers insist on ups or fedex for some damn reason.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 11:36:02 »
This will just make a person lust for a full set even more haha

Typing on half and half is weird, and other PBT dont feel the same as Cherry original PBT, can't imagine mixing it up
Keyboardless

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:05:58 »
Using lasered set for the modifers isn't ideal, but it feels uniform. I mix with doubleshots and it doesn't bother me. All the letter keys (except the \|) are one thing, mods another it's ok to me.
I have some different color Cherry doubleshots set with same problem, same amount of completeness on modern board.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:08:19 by lysol »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:11:25 »
I dunno then maybe its just me that needs it as a full set haha

Don't get me wrong I think they are gorgeous keys but having enough for just the alphanumeric is kinda odd to me esp since the colour tone doesn't match and what not

But hey like you said its a pretty good price
Keyboardless

Offline litster

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:13:58 »
it is a great price for dyesub.  but like tsangan, I prefer a more uniform setup physically and visually.  I wish there is a full set with these colors.  These typewriter caps look awesome.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:39:21 »
Well the 510 I got just arrived... turns out to be brown dyesub with orange sublegends. The base color is of course yet a different color than anything else I have  :rolleyes:
More of those awesome linear white switches though, so I am still pretty pleased. Now I just need to do a good cleaning.

Unfortunately the typewriter didn't make it, arrived smashed to bits. But, that's fine as it saved me a good deal of time disassemble to pull the switch pcb.

I don't see how using these alphas and other modifier is any worse than the oldschool white with beige modifiers doubleshot sets. Same thing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:43:41 by lysol »

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:52:05 »
Looks great! Could look great on a more modern board with darker modifiers, maybe.

It's stuff like this that make me jealous of you Americans. Even though Sweden is rather close to Germany it's somewhat extremely hard to find old MX (or at least MX compatible) stuff. Someone somewhere in this country ought to have something lying around. :<

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:10:37 »
I don't see how using these alphas and other modifier is any worse than the oldschool white with beige modifiers doubleshot sets. Same thing.
Well everything kinda matches and feel the exact same when you type...

I'm just not one to mix and match too much especially sets wise and material wise, I tried out SP PBT, Cherry PBT, imsto PBT, KBC PBT and they all feel different in someways so I just couldn't see myself mixing them up. As for colour wise while those are gorgeous colours not sure how to match it and thats if I can get over the mismatch material/maker
Keyboardless

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:19:18 »
That's an awesome set Lysol! I want the caps lock! :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:55:32 »
I know where you're coming from tsangan. Some things set me off too, but I was mostly talking about mixing Cherry with Cherry. The modifiers on modern lasered set still use the same old thick key molds, even though they don't on the letters. So you still get a uniform feel but with crummy lasered legend. I wouldn't want to mix other manufacturer either.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Cherry PBT Dye Sub Keyboards on eBay
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 15:10:10 »
Modern Cherry PBT laser I haven't tried personally so yeah maybe that could work out ;o
Keyboardless

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:53:52 »
If I find some more of that model I will let you know Alessandro.
I'll take some pics with modern Cherry lasered and dyseubs tomorrow for comparisons.