Author Topic: RedHat Certified Architect help  (Read 2446 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
RedHat Certified Architect help
« on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 14:23:48 »
Anyone around here hold an RHCA (not RHCSA)? Looking for any tips or self-study material available for EX401 (Satellite/deployment), EX436 (clustering/storage), and EX442 (performance). Already have EX318 done and EX413 has material provided by RedHat.

Thanks!

Offline osi

Re: RedHat Certified Architect help
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:25:51 »
Do you work in the defense industry? Do you need those certs foryout job position? Sounds interesting!

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 19:32:24 »
Adjacent to the federal sector, but for a private firm. Don't need it for a particular position, just for general career advancement.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 20:57:26 »
Sysadmin here, currently studying for RHEL certs. All I know from what my coworkers have said is that its pretty tough.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 08:13:41 »
Sysadmin here, currently studying for RHEL certs. All I know from what my coworkers have said is that its pretty tough.
I've managed RHCE and RHCVA, and I can say that primarily they're different from other industry certs, rather than being more or less tough. On the one hand, they're all practical, so you don't need to have "the right answer", you just need to know how to accomplish tasks (one way or another). On the other hand, the diminished number of questions/tasks means that each counts for significantly more. One very nice thing though is that you have access to all the man pages, which are definitely invaluable.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:04:55 »
I've managed RHCE and RHCVA, and I can say that primarily they're different from other industry certs, rather than being more or less tough. On the one hand, they're all practical, so you don't need to have "the right answer", you just need to know how to accomplish tasks (one way or another). On the other hand, the diminished number of questions/tasks means that each counts for significantly more. One very nice thing though is that you have access to all the man pages, which are definitely invaluable.

Access to the man pages!? Thats really awesome. Is it true you take the exam in a RHEL VM?
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 08:48:35 »
Access to the man pages!? Thats really awesome. Is it true you take the exam in a RHEL VM?
Yuppers, you're given a VM, a list of tasks, and after the test is over they run scripts on the VM to determine if you accomplished said tasks. No internet access of course, but full access to man pages as well as other included documentation. The goal of the exam is to demonstrate not that you know how to answer questions about RedHat, but that you know how to actually do stuff with RedHat.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 12:06:21 »
Yuppers, you're given a VM, a list of tasks, and after the test is over they run scripts on the VM to determine if you accomplished said tasks. No internet access of course, but full access to man pages as well as other included documentation. The goal of the exam is to demonstrate not that you know how to answer questions about RedHat, but that you know how to actually do stuff with RedHat.

Thats awesome, it sounds like something I would actually be able to pass. I've heard its pretty tough though. Hopefully just got to study for it properly.

Offline william20111

• Web Hosting
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 03:42:31 »
I have never seen a job require a cert but it looks good on the CV I suppose. Its good you get access to the docs and the man pages, more life like. Because thats the first place everyone goes if they need some info. You get sponsored by your work to do the training, or is it something outside of work your doing yourself? Red Hat look quite expensive for this type of thing..

Cheers
Another sysadmin :)
Pure Pro MX Blue | CS Quickfire MX Red

Linux Lover :) OpenSUSE & Crunchbang

www.goforthhosting.com