Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch Pre-Launch Showcase & First Impressions & Typing test  (Read 40710 times)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Re: CM Storm Novatouch Pre-Launch Showcase & First Impressions & Typing test
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 12:33:57 »
I don't know what's wrong with some of the l33t g4merz and their views on keyboard brands, but I saw some comments on the youtube video stating that the new Razer switches were 'better' and that CM Storm is 'copying' them lmfao.

Doesn't help that they're bashing topre and its rubber domes too.

Let's just hope this keyboard shuts up the naysayers and appeals to not only the enthusiasts, but up-and-coming keyboard lovers too (:
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 12:41:15 »
I don't know what's wrong with some of the l33t g4merz and their views on keyboard brands, but I saw some comments on the youtube video stating that the new Razer switches were 'better' and that CM Storm is 'copying' them lmfao.

Let's just hope this keyboard shuts up the naysayers and appeals to not only the enthusiasts, but up-and-coming keyboard lovers too (:
I saw all of those comments, painful to read.

Just like this comment I saw not too long ago, just goes to show your average razer customer I guess.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 13:04:22 »
yes! buy razer and spend 80% of the price in packaging. because that's what matters.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 13:09:48 »
The case is not the same as a QFR IMO. You can see more of the F-row keys 'skirt', which leads me to think it is lower profile. Especially toward the top of the case, which is good because QFR's can have clearance issues in that area. Kinda hard to explain... but say you put cherry profile keycaps on a QFR, well when you bottom out a F-row key the top of the keycap will basically be flush with the case.

Then again the switches could just be mounted higher.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1

yes! buy razer and spend 80% of the price in packaging. because that's what matters.

Only razer product I think is worth its value is the deathadder

Literally nothing else that company has to offer is 'bang for the buck'

Anyway, back on topic

There's still the problem of the depth of the actuated key on the nova touch? Is that being fixed on the release product?

Offline avtar

There's still the problem of the depth of the actuated key on the nova touch? Is that being fixed on the release product?

I'm curious about this as well. CM reps seem to be more active at Deskthority so an answer may turn up there.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 14:51:18 »
they are topre. the PCB is also topre branded.

I assume you would know but it really sounded like that rep was trying to avoid anything to do with Topre, even when pushed he only talked about it being based on the Topre design. I mean surely they would want to trade off the Topre brand name if they could? or possibly their deal precludes that kind thing?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 14:52:02 »

Just like this comment I saw not too long ago, just goes to show your average razer customer I guess.
Show Image

Well, the higher the price, the better the product, right?

(only applicable sometimes) :cool:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 14:55:59 »

I'm curious about this as well. CM reps seem to be more active at Deskthority so an answer may turn up there.

IIRC Matt3o mentioned it somewhere, but he's under NDA.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:17:28 »
It's a partnership between Topre and CM Storm, if I understand it correctly. I suppose PFU wouldn't be very happy, if CM Storm made a budget-level HHKB.

OTOH Carter has mentioned that they'd consider a 60% design, if NovaTouch *is* successful.

All these things CM are promising if Novatouch is successful - how many people are going to hold off buying the 45g TKL layout waiting for something different?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline avtar

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:22:25 »
All these things CM are promising if Novatouch is successful - how many people are going to hold off buying the 45g TKL layout waiting for something different?

I was going to hold off due to the lack of 55g weighting but I'm going to go ahead and get the first iteration to see what it feels like. It'll never happen but I want something like this with Topre switches:

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter

IIRC Matt3o mentioned it somewhere, but he's under NDA.

I hope I can get the "full" topre experience. I don't want the key throw to be far off.

I hope they fix that if it is a big issue.

If the rep doesn't want to say "topre", do you think it is because the stems are different? It can't be considered "true" topre if it doesn't have topre type stems.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:47:49 »

Show Image

oh god....

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 16:46:54 »
the prototype I've got has some problems. but that's normal with the prototypes and the reason to run beta tests. I sent CM a full report, so they are well aware of the issues. I hope to get a new prototype soon. As far as I know production hasn't started so I bet we will see some more iteration before the final version.

Offline YuukiHaruto

Only razer product I think is worth its value is the deathadder

Literally nothing else that company has to offer is 'bang for the buck'

Anyway, back on topic

DA? Only the old 3.5G one is. Nothing is worth it at Razer anymore. The CM Storm Alcor is the new kid on the block  :p
There is no depth problem.

I think it is because it has a tactile bump but isn't clicky...so the closest thing to it that people can relate to in the mechanical world is brown...although I think Alps are probably closer...and obviously a normal rubber dome keyboard is pretty similar in feel as well but they're not about to say that...
"Pretty similar" but actually worlds apart. If they said blues without the clicky noise then I think that's more accurate  :rolleyes:

The keyboard that introduced me to the mech keyboard world (And where I am today) is a Rosewill RK9000RE  :p
The case is not the same as a QFR IMO. You can see more of the F-row keys 'skirt', which leads me to think it is lower profile. Especially toward the top of the case, which is good because QFR's can have clearance issues in that area. Kinda hard to explain... but say you put cherry profile keycaps on a QFR, well when you bottom out a F-row key the top of the keycap will basically be flush with the case.

Then again the switches could just be mounted higher.
And every switch in particular ...
;D
It's a partnership between Topre and CM Storm, if I understand it correctly. I suppose PFU wouldn't be very happy, if CM Storm made a budget-level HHKB.

OTOH Carter has mentioned that they'd consider a 60% design, if NovaTouch *is* successful.

That's why they should produce 55g as well, regardless of turnup.

Razer fanboys for ya. I've had enough of them.

Show Image

oh god....
Certainly not the worst either but it deserves a 80$ price tag not a 225$

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 12:50:40 »
I got to try these are PAX East as well. They really do feel like browns, except "cleaner". Just feels a bit smoother with less a bit less friction, if that makes sense.

I also got to try Cherry Greens for the first time, which are pretty cool as well. Just stiffer blues though, really.

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 22:15:11 »
how much longer do we have to wait? Hurry up and take my parents' money already!

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 01:03:48 »
how much longer do we have to wait? Hurry up and take my parents' money already!
I don't know  :-[

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 01:13:11 »
not sure if this already got answered but can I use a different tkl case for the novatouch

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 04:21:05 »
I got to try these are PAX East as well. They really do feel like browns, except "cleaner". Just feels a bit smoother with less a bit less friction, if that makes sense.

I also got to try Cherry Greens for the first time, which are pretty cool as well. Just stiffer blues though, really.

Yeah, IMO browns are like scratchy Topre. Obviously it's not that simple, but of all the Cherry switches, browns are the closest to me. Do you find Greens to be kind of slugish? People always call them stiff, but to me they're just like sluggy blues.
;)

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 08:38:24 »

Yeah, IMO browns are like scratchy Topre. Obviously it's not that simple, but of all the Cherry switches, browns are the closest to me. Do you find Greens to be kind of slugish? People always call them stiff, but to me they're just like sluggy blues.
Gritty Red as always.
Heavy and very loud blues man  ;D To me topre is like blues without the click, it's that good of a switch.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:40:50 »
Tried it at a cooler master event. Very nice keyboard. I feel I cannot compare it to a cherry switch. It has a completely different feeling IMO. It was the first topre keyboard I tried and now I know what GH means with when they say it makes a "thock" sound.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:53:14 »
Tried it at a cooler master event. Very nice keyboard. I feel I cannot compare it to a cherry switch. It has a completely different feeling IMO. It was the first topre keyboard I tried and now I know what GH means with when they say it makes a "thock" sound.
I think it makes a thock sound rather than the clacks of a cherry. Still would benefit from a silence pad though  :p

Offline Belfong

Are you in Singapore or Malaysia? I'd like to know where you tried the keyboard.

Offline blackbox

Are you in Singapore or Malaysia? I'd like to know where you tried the keyboard.

Quite far from any of those countries actually. It was an event on The gathering (lan) in Norway.

I think it makes a thock sound rather than the clacks of a cherry. Still would benefit from a silence pad though  :p

Didn't feel the need for an silence pad. But that is of course personal preference of course.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:50:09 by blackbox »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:41:56 »
Ohey! You folks and the ones in OCN seem to be only one wanting one of these.  :confused:  :eek:
the local blokes don't really seem to be commenting on much  :-X

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:05:10 »
Ohey! You folks and the ones in OCN seem to be only one wanting one of these.  :confused:  :eek:

The hype's kinda died down cause of the delayed launch :/

And I don't think local folks can grasp why a 'capacitive' half rubber dome is better than the rubber domes / mech keyboards they're accustomed to :P

And btw, who's that in your avatar? Looks kind of like Yukino :P

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 01:03:01 »

And I don't think local folks can grasp why a 'capacitive' half rubber dome is better than the rubber domes / mech keyboards they're accustomed to :P

Then again the local folks hardly comment anyway.

Yeah it did :/

It's Yatogami Tohka  ;)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 01:04:30 »

Then again the local folks hardly comment anyway.

Yeah it did :/

It's Yatogami Tohka  ;)

Most waifus looks alike, I'm afraid :P

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:43:53 »
Most waifus looks alike, I'm afraid :P

;D