Author Topic: GeekHack on Mobile, no Tapatalk ****  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Belfong

GeekHack on Mobile, no Tapatalk ****
« on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 21:53:38 »
So, I am pretty frustrated with double posting in Tapatalk and I wanted to go native ie browsing GeekHack on Safari for iOS, only to find that it doesn't have a mobile theme. Doing a quick Google-fu, it seems there is a mod to do so. It is calledhttp://smf-media.com/. It only cost $20 and have one year support. I wonder if it will work with GH, if it does, I wouldn't mind forking out $20 so everyone can use a mobile theme natively and not depends on Tapatalk. Any mods with skills/knowledge to let me know?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: GeekHack on Mobile, no Tapatalk ****
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 00:01:24 »
which version of tapatalk is double posting? i used tapatalk 2 successfully as recently as february. any mobile theme is going to be a much worse experience than tapatalk. however we may be behind on server-side tapatalk updates. this is easily fixable and just us not paying attention to the tapatalk update site.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 00:08:47 »
I'm also using latest version of Tapatalk (on iOS). The problem of my double post is when there is 3G network issues and Tapatalk would think that the submission is not successful and retries, this double posting. You think mobile theme is not going to be better experience? I bet with mobile theme, if it times out, it will just show me fail to submit and not try and resubmit itself.

Offline Belfong

GeekHack on Mobile, no Tapatalk ****
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 00:09:19 »
Edit: oh the irony!!

I'm also using latest version of Tapatalk (on iOS). The problem of my double post is when there is 3G network issues and Tapatalk would think that the submission is not successful and retries, this double posting. You think mobile theme is not going to be better experience? I bet with mobile theme, if it times out, it will just show me fail to submit and not try and resubmit itself.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 00:10:03 »
Perfect example^ haha :))
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 01:05:17 »
tapatalk is just a nice UI. it still communicates over HTTP, which as you can see, is pretty fallible when network connection is spotty. we'll make sure we're up to date on tapatalk, but i still think it's the best experience on a mobile device, so i don't see a need to add another mobile interface that we have to maintain.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 01:13:38 »
While we're complaining about Tapatalk, it seems that when you answer PMs with it, the message disappears. Like When I reply to a PM in the browser, it's like an email chain where I can see my response and it tells me which PMs I've replied to. On Tapatalk PMs, it doesn't tell me if I've replied to a PM nor does it keep my reply in the chain on either Tapatalk or the browser. In the browser, it just says "replied to" and then I can't see what I said.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 01:37:31 »
Thanks mkawa.. It makes sense from an administration point of view vs just one slight inconvenience of double post. I can understand this. Appreciate your consideration.

As for BadAss comment, I usually bug the dev at Tapatalk to improve their stuff. He he. (I did bug them about the double posts too).

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 01:47:01 »
So, while we're on the Tapatalk subject... I'm not sure if this a Tapatalk issue or something controlled on the GH API implementation side. Is there any way to make the "participated" thread list sort descending by the most recent thread post, instead of when I posted to the thread? If it worked just like Timeline does, that would make it so much easier to keep up with recent activity in the threads I'm most invested in.

Edit: I'm using Tapatalk Pro 4.5 on Android, if that matters.

Thanks for all you guys do!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 18:58:14 »
it's probably on our side, but if it's the normal forum sort order, that's just kind of the way that is right now, and the code that does that is stupidly ugly (it's ugly and it doesn't have to be, but unwrapping spaghetti is harder than cooking noodles properly from the outset).

if it's the tapatalk module, then we have some control over it; we don't usually touch the tapatalk distributions, though, and due to some other large changes we've been rolling into the code i'm hesitant to customize anything about a tapatalk module right now.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 19:12:08 »
It would be good if the tapatalk notifications would work again.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 23:47:20 »
Yeah, what Spam said would be really helpful.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 01:58:09 »
yah, that we can fix.