Author Topic: Poker II with a paint job  (Read 2809 times)

Offline ajp403

Poker II with a paint job
« on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 10:00:10 »
Hi everyone! I'm Drew and this is my setup. I painted the monitor and keyboard case with some Rustoleum with primer in gloss white... turned out okay. Custom keys from WASDKeyboards with some icons for changing OS and media control like on the mac keyboard. I'm waiting (not so patiently) on some white and grey sphericals from round 5 with a layout similar to what I have now. The fonts just look much better and I can't wait to see how they feel. I don't think I'll miss the controls on the keycaps but I'll have them around just in case. This Poker II is the first mechanical keyboard I've gotten and I love the Cherry MX blues! Hope you enjoy!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Poker II with a paint job
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 10:13:06 »
Welcome to GH. The paint job looks really nice. Regarding the keycaps you may want to try thicker ones. WASD's are really too thin.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 10:45:24 »
Really nice setup! Can I ask you how you have your command, option, tilde, and backtick keys mapped? Getting a poker for my mac as well and I'm trying to come up with ideas about the perfect OSX + programming setup.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 12:19:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack. Beautiful setup and board!
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 02:17:58 »
Nice white-themed setup you have there. The keycap color scheme reminds me of white/grey WYSE doubleshots.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 04:11:29 »
White kind of monitor is that?

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:33:25 »
Nice setup, glad to see another vertical monitor user ;)

Offline gr3yh4m3

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 08:36:54 »
Welcome! I too love the vertical monitor :) as well as your caps paint job, nice work!

Offline sebk

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 09:45:40 »
Very neat! Do you have any pics of the modding process?

Offline ajp403

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:01:53 »
Really nice setup! Can I ask you how you have your command, option, tilde, and backtick keys mapped? Getting a poker for my mac as well and I'm trying to come up with ideas about the perfect OSX + programming setup.

I have the option and command keys switched through the system preferences keyboard setting and then I have the function keys (expose, mission control, media, and volume) remapped through KeyRemap4Macbook. It took a little playing around since I moved expose and mission control to 5&6 when they're usually on 3&4, but the keyboard backlight dimmer is a different keystroke on the poker ii and it wouldn't work there anyway.

White kind of monitor is that?

It's an NEC 1990SX. The resolution is just 1280x1024 but it gets the job done. I like the aspect ratio and it's PVA, which is much better than the standard TN panels on most monitors this size. It's 19" and the only downside is that it's rather bulky and heavy. But when it's at the edge of my desk, I don't mind either :) I got it on ebay a couple of years ago for around $200. It also came in white but it's pretty rare--wasn't able to find one at the time for a decent price and don't see any now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:03:42 by ajp403 »

Offline ajp403

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:07:08 »
Very neat! Do you have any pics of the modding process?

Nope, sorry. I was so frustrated with the process (had the wind blow over the sheet I originally had the keyboard on and had to re-sand) that I didn't even think to do it. I started with 600 grit then moved to 1200, 1500, 2000, and 2500. I wish I had tried using an airbrush or something with a variable setting so that not so much paint comes out. There are a few spots where I put too much paint and it started looking weird. But I like the overall look of it and don't want to go through all of that again.

Offline WONDERBRIGHT

• Steelseries !
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 11:21:27 »
welcome to geekhack ! very nice and clean setup ;)