Author Topic: 60% wrist rest  (Read 3228 times)

Offline roaming pear

• THE Roaming Pear
60% wrist rest
« on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:11:11 »
Are there many options for this sized wrist rest?
I liked the filco wooden one by appearance.  Are there any other wooden ones?  Is the wooden one any good?

Is there any advantage of using a bigger wrist rest on a 60 percent keyboard.. For example, maybe the wrist rest can help for the mouse use too.... ?  I dunno....  Just asking..

Thanks everyone
Does anyone have any accessories or key caps or other poker 2 related things lying around that they are not using?  I don't mind taking it off your hands if you no longer want it...

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: 60% wrist rest
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:13:06 »
I use a fatass grifiti pad. Its 17 by 6 inches, and I have room for my numpad and 75% board on there. I put the mouse on top of the pad when browsing and sometimes casual gaming

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:15:30 »
ctrlalt.io will have a few for sale very soon. ;)

Offline roaming pear

• THE Roaming Pear
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:17:47 »
That looks nice.  Is that leather?
And..... I'm new... I'm not sure how to use that site (once they have their wrist rests up)
Does anyone have any accessories or key caps or other poker 2 related things lying around that they are not using?  I don't mind taking it off your hands if you no longer want it...

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:18:49 »
A store section is in the works and a new link/tab will become present, and I believe so.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:51:20 »
Just make your own:

I've made a few for myself and others and they're nice to use.  If you make your own, you can also get exactly the look you want.

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:51:41 »
If we're talking leather wrist rests... I do handmade ones as well.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.msg1140583

Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline roaming pear

• THE Roaming Pear
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:06:05 »
@nubbinator: that wooden one looks amazing.... I think I have become inspired... not sure how far I'll go with that, but maybe I can make one too...
dang that looks goood ....  How much did it cost you to make that?

@jolonnar: As amazing as the leather ones look, I'd rather not use a leather one if I can find other options...  But they do look really good... hmmm...
Do you make any non leather ones?  Anything white that isn't leather?  Or are wrist rests typically made of leather?

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:13:19 by roaming pear »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:36:24 »
@nubbinator: that wooden one looks amazing.... I think I have become inspired... not sure how far I'll go with that, but maybe I can make one too...
dang that looks goood ....  How much did it cost you to make that?

Depends on how you define cost.  If you're talking just the materials, under $15.  If you're counting the finish as a single purchase, about $30.  Then you also have to factor in the hardware.  So if you have to buy the wood, sandpaper, finish, glue, and saw parts and so on, it can get very expensive.  If you only need to buy the wood, it's fairly cheap and not too bad in time cost.

Offline roaming pear

• THE Roaming Pear
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:46:05 »
I'm pretty sure I have the tools.  Maybe not the finish...

So did you have to buy a bigger sized wood block or did the wood come pretty close to the size of the final product?

Thanks

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:49:13 »
Always buy more than you need and cut to size.

Offline sockit2me

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 03:46:18 »
ctrlalt.io will have a few for sale very soon. ;)

Show Image

OOOOO i like this =D

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:42:07 »
Wrist rests can look nice, but they are anti-ergonomic. It is better not to use one. Instead, keep your wrists elevated and in a straight line with your hands, as if you were playing the piano.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 03:09:48 »
Wrist rests can look nice, but they are anti-ergonomic. It is better not to use one. Instead, keep your wrists elevated and in a straight line with your hands, as if you were playing the piano.

It's actually healthy to have a place to rest your palms when NOT actively typing that's at a good height to keep your wrists at a good angle. For most mechanical boards the desk is too low, so a rest is a good thing. Please note that I said palms, not wrists. The heel of the palm should be the part that makes contact.

I agree that when typing you should raise your wrists and type without wrist contact.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Jaky

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 06:03:31 »
I think massdrop has a 60% grafiti wrist rest for around 15 usd
poker 2 red | shine 3 (yellow) brown | corsair K70 blue
 ^_^ zinc keys <3

Offline osi

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:22:19 »
I just went through this search recently. There were not a lot of options in this arena. You could always proxy something from Japan and as you have found, there are custom palm wrests available through the forums. Check the classifieds here as well.

That gh rest looks pretty sweet actually. I decided to go with the option from EK. It has a little slide to it but nothing unbearable. So far so good!

Normally, I wouldn't have used a rest in the past but working long hours makes keeping good posture difficult at times.

Good luck!