Author Topic: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome  (Read 986406 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome
« Reply #800 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 12:42:44 »
How about Castle Cherrylot:
Show Image
Show Image

Hehe that's cool.

As for another idea, what about a plane keycap?

Offline moonexe

« Reply #801 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 12:44:29 »
Yes please :eek:
Are you planning to print this through shapeways? It would look really cool in alumide

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #802 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 13:01:45 »
As for another idea, what about a plane keycap?

Yeah, that would be cool - make it either the Concorde (one of the few French things I liked) or Art Deco-ish.
52526-0
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline kilogeek

• Nostalgy of a time when quality was a value
« Reply #803 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:49:08 »
Gonna test a mod on light keycaps, using a thickened neopren glue inside keycaps, just to compare typing feeling and sound, will give feedback and pics if I get a positive result.
"Ne pas subir" - Devise de Saint-Cyr.

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #804 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:31:03 »
I have this idea, replace Q W E to the icon of Quas, Wex, Exort.
And maybe R to Invoke..
Dota2 invoker lover here :)

Offline lolkey

« Reply #805 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 10:08:27 »
Someone make a group buy for a replica set of these caps:

What font is that?
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #806 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 22:37:32 »

Show Image

What font is that?

Now those look nice and clean.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Norz

« Reply #807 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 15:00:55 »
Can't find the zerg symbol for escape key keycap anywhere !

I think keys with zerg (and other races) units printed on them could be pretty cool.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #808 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 08:16:59 »

I think keys with zerg (and other races) units printed on them could be pretty cool.

There have been many Sc2 race logo keycaps done, printed, milled all kinds of ****

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #809 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:56:50 »

Feng & Imsto
Also, go ahead and check my Pearltree in my Sig. Pretty much every keycap store is there.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Norz

« Reply #810 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:47:37 »
Yeah had found the plastic ones before, but not a big fan. The metal one are pretty cool though, i'm tempted thank you !

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #811 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 12:08:13 »
Nawww yeah.. Where to put em..?

I set them up like this:

Show Image

I got just the crystal set but they are some seriously weird profile, all different. I will have to take some pictures and compare, see if someone can help me out.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #812 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:22:48 »
At this point we should just say screw it, and join all the 'cool' kids by making our own proprietary GH switch. Rub it in Razer and Apple's faces.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #813 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:23:34 »
At this point we should just say screw it, and join all the 'cool' kids by making our own proprietary GH switch. Rub it in Razer and Apple's faces.

Ok let's do it

We'll call it cloud of boobs.
I love Elzy

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #814 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:33:40 »

Ok let's do it

We'll call it cloud of boobs.

HIRE THIS MAN!

Offline Insanto

• Etsy page
« Reply #815 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 21:34:21 »
how's  this for an idea when you're sporting mx-blues :D
question is.. where to get or how to manufacture caps like that?!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #816 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 21:41:22 »
Those would look amazing but my guess is they would but stupid expensive.  Chances are they would have to be individually machined.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #817 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 21:45:28 »
how's  this for an idea when you're sporting mx-blues :D
question is.. where to get or how to manufacture caps like that?!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52900.0

Z series are close.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #818 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:46:13 »
Those would look amazing but my guess is they would but stupid expensive.  Chances are they would have to be individually machined.

They are indeed quite expensive. I made some in my 3D printing thread.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #819 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 11:19:27 »
Ok, here's an idea: Zork-themed keycaps.

It's retro, it's one of the very first keyboard text adventures -- and it would be easy to make this into a 3d printed keycap.

(Ok, I'm assuming it would be easy.)

Just take that text as a vector object, put it on top of the keycap shape, and extrude it a bit, maybe rough up the surface with some imperfections. Also, a grue keycap would be nice.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #820 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:19:16 »
What about the characters from the Dumb Ways to Die campaign?

http://www.dumbwaystodie.com/

In Melbourne it is run by Metro, the commuter train company, to promote safety around railways.  They have a catchy tune, smartphone apps (games) and this web site.

And posters in all the stations.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #821 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 03:10:07 »
What about the characters from the Dumb Ways to Die campaign?

http://www.dumbwaystodie.com/

In Melbourne it is run by Metro, the commuter train company, to promote safety around railways.  They have a catchy tune, smartphone apps (games) and this web site.

And posters in all the stations.

Hahaha

Thanks for sharing that rowdy!

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #822 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:07:32 »

Show Image

What font is that?

Would love a replica of this as well.. mx board though.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #823 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 23:08:23 »

Show Image

What font is that?

Would love a replica of this as well.. mx board though.

I am guessing that this would be to fine of lines for double shot but should be able to do it with dye sub.  I do love the colorway though.

Offline mickyman

« Reply #824 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 12:28:45 »
Anyone know if WASD do individual custom key caps made from an SVG?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 12:35:08 by mickyman »
Poker II /w blues         Ergodox /w blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #825 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:03:41 »
Anyone know if WASD do individual custom key caps made from an SVG?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/printed-keycap-singles/custom-art-cherry-mx-keycaps.html#ad-image-0

Looks like it - upload your image, vector image preferred.

Offline llama47

« Reply #826 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 03:30:35 »
i have no idea if this is a current thing or not but brushed aluminum metallic key caps with that fingerprint kinda asus zenbook spun metal pattern in the key. i personally would love to have some :)

Offline russm

« Reply #827 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 10:15:16 »
Anyone know were I can get some caps like these, I think they would last a long time! ;D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #828 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 10:21:21 »
Anyone know were I can get some caps like these, I think they would last a long time! ;D

Cherry's next big thing, DIY legends? :P

Offline russm

« Reply #829 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:27:41 »

Cherry's next big thing, DIY legends? :P
I will work on a DIY video for youtube!

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #830 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:26:06 »
I was thinking of customizing a keyboard to match the old-school aesthetics of the ships/stations in the Alien movie series. The upcoming game Alien: Isolation has a few images that give an idea:

Alien with keyboard in lower left: http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/pub/large/alien_isolation11111111111.jpg
Desktop: http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2014/01/07/5jpg-8864f7.jpg
Motion detector: http://androidbests.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Alien-Isolation-download.jpg
Self destruct panel from Nostromo in the original movie, Alien: http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/1979/05/simon-deerings-auto-destruct-panel.html

While the keyboards have a relatively plain color scheme (black bezel, white keycaps), it seems the keycaps have colored legends of some sort in the second image. Hopefully we can get a closer look at the keyboard in future media releases. The gunmetal, red, and green colors of the motion detector could be utilized as well. I've also seen a Weyland-Yutani keycap around on the web, which fits the theme.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:34:41 by Heliosphere »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #831 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 06:59:23 »
I was thinking of customizing a keyboard to match the old-school aesthetics of the ships/stations in the Alien movie series. The upcoming game Alien: Isolation has a few images that give an idea:

Alien with keyboard in lower left: http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/pub/large/alien_isolation11111111111.jpg
Desktop: http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2014/01/07/5jpg-8864f7.jpg
Motion detector: http://androidbests.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Alien-Isolation-download.jpg
Self destruct panel from Nostromo in the original movie, Alien: http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/1979/05/simon-deerings-auto-destruct-panel.html

While the keyboards have a relatively plain color scheme (black bezel, white keycaps), it seems the keycaps have colored legends of some sort in the second image. Hopefully we can get a closer look at the keyboard in future media releases. The gunmetal, red, and green colors of the motion detector could be utilized as well. I've also seen a Weyland-Yutani keycap around on the web, which fits the theme.

Looks like SA profile or something similar as well.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #832 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 09:56:46 »
I don't know if anyone would think these were a cool idea ^^ But I had a thought about it and decided to draw them up as concept keys. They're meant to be used with an LED (hence the glow)

Show Image

I'm in love with these. I'd love to make them while i'm experimenting.
c h e r

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #833 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:15:13 »

Show Image

What font is that?

A very similar set GB is in production phase right now. Not the same font though. Also the legends are sublimated.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50935.0

Offline Bludude4

« Reply #834 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 00:28:55 »
I think it cloud be awesome to have keycap with half life logo:D
Show Image

You mean a Lambda? :)
All hail Hall Effect keyboards!
I'm a QFR Blues noob.
WASD keycaps are terrible.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #835 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 00:47:28 »
I think it cloud be awesome to have keycap with half life logo:D
Show Image

You mean a Lambda? :)

That's a pretty old post to be quoting ;)

There have been several Lambda and other HL-related keycaps since then.

Offline loki993

« Reply #836 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 09:05:13 »
I want this on the WASD keys:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #837 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 17:09:06 »
I want this on the WASD keys:

Show Image

You can upload custom images and they will put it on a keycap for you.

Offline loki993

« Reply #838 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:27:14 »
Im new to this keyboard thing so who is they?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #839 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:46:56 »
WASDKeyboards will print custom caps http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/. I got these from them, and they are pretty nice. Obviously lack of Rarity, not withstanding.
70935-0
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline loki993

« Reply #840 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:17:18 »
ahh cool...not really worth 40 buck to me though. Plus with how the layout of the keys are Im not sure how good it would really look.

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #841 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 19:56:10 »
I'd pay a pretty penny for some dsa back-lit keycaps... seriously considering a GB

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #842 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:31:55 »
A bismuth inspired keycap.

Full Metal Poker II - http://imgur.com/a/xK2Uv

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #843 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:44:22 »
I want this to happen:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #844 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:54:55 »
I'd pay a pretty penny for some dsa back-lit keycaps... seriously considering a GB

How exactly would you get DSA backlit?? Can they do polycarb in DSA?

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #845 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:57:01 »

Honestly, no idea. I figure its such a simple thing that if it were possible it would have been done by now, but i'm still going to contact signature plastics to see whats up. I'd gladly set up a group buy.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #846 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 17:05:00 »

Honestly, no idea. I figure its such a simple thing that if it were possible it would have been done by now, but i'm still going to contact signature plastics to see whats up. I'd gladly set up a group buy.
Have you ever seen the polycarb and ABS sets that were made by SP? If so, did you like them with a backlit keyboard? I got the feeling that most people didn't.

Also note that Cherry legends are not available in DSA profile, only DCS. So the legend won't be as thick, and will be the SP standard legend.

I'm pretty sure SP can run polycarb in DSA. They already do ABS and PBT, so why wouldn't they.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 August 2014, 17:08:27 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #847 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:28:19 »
A bismuth inspired keycap.

A similar changing-colour-effect could easily be achieved with patina on metals. Right one is without patina, left one is with:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #849 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:20:45 »
Idea: 'PCB cap'

While bored at work I was working with these bunch of small PCB and thought what if theres a key cap made out of old PCBs. Maybe this has already been posted, so I'm not sure.

Protoype: (I used double sided tape to stick it on 5 sides of a key cap.

What do you guys think. Half of me think its dumb.