Author Topic: LASTLY, A MECH KEYBOARD WITH THE PERFECT LAYOUT + FOOTPRINT IS BORNED!!!!  (Read 36991 times)

Offline ferociousfingerings

have Seen this layout long Time agor by Filco on taobao...

This?

Show Image

Show Image

http://www.waishehome.cn/thread-47762-1-1.html

How many of you here being waiting for such a layout?!!?!?!?
Tenkeyless without compromising on productivity.

The sad part is that it uses a strange layout at numpad when numlock off...

[/snip]

I'd love to see this plate mounted in a metal case... especially with the allegedly currently impossible "user-selectable" backlighting.

Maybe even some left-edge macro keys.
Maybe just put the whole hybrid-tenkey section on the left side. ^^

Too bad i can't read chinese. I'd love to know which options and variations may exist in this layout.
Logitech G710+

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
It's known as Plum 96 and you can find it easy on taobao.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
I'm sure with the Filco you'd probably be able to get a different switch type.  Darn you Plum  :-\
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline FoxWolf1

I like the layout, but wish they'd move the Insert cluster down one row on the number pad, to make it easier to hit PageUp and PageDown from the arrow keys while browsing. NumPad 1 and 3 as browser back and forwards while in non-numlock mode would be pretty awesome as well.

Mind you, all of the layout brilliance in the world can't persuade me to buy a keyboard if I'm not convinced that the thing can meet what I would consider a minimal standard of ruggedness-- which usually requires, among other features, a thick metal plate to ensure that the PCB doesn't take damage from heavy key presses.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Other switch types was in the original plan for these, but I don't know if it is still to happen or not. Either way if you want something else and only blacks available, it is very easy to change it on pcb mount. All you need is some other stems/springs to change it to what you wish.
It's a huge pro to pcb mount over plate. No soldering needed, and I don't have to concern about the switch because I can change it very easy any time.

Here bro:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15900975948&ali_trackid=2:mm_14507416_2297358_8935934:1348655686_3k4_652900346

But it is a little bit different. I prefer the one that you posted.

Sweet. That is officially my new favorite board (based on layout and manufacturer). Rather pricey... but if i had to pick "just one," that'd be it.

Better yet: i wish there was a "ninja" version of this.

It's known as Plum 96 and you can find it easy on taobao.

True enough, i had already located some (non-filco) of these... the hard part is buying anything from taobao, when you don't know chinese. ^^ (and additionally, waiting for shipping...)

One of these and a "phantom mini" would probably be all the keyboard i'd ever need.

Now to wait years for someone to figure out a reasonable way to integrate color-changing LED's into a backlit cherry mech.

And maybe some "macro" keys. :P

Plenty of space on the left side still!
Logitech G710+

Offline Human

Here bro:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15900975948&ali_trackid=2:mm_14507416_2297358_8935934:1348655686_3k4_652900346

But it is a little bit different. I prefer the one that you posted.
Filco 100M, EOLed product + not sure if having non-Japanese layout.

Offline Human

Other switch types was in the original plan for these, but I don't know if it is still to happen or not. Either way if you want something else and only blacks available, it is very easy to change it on pcb mount. All you need is some other stems/springs to change it to what you wish.
It's a huge pro to pcb mount over plate. No soldering needed, and I don't have to concern about the switch because I can change it very easy any time.
Searching it from taobao and I can find numerous version of it, of which different switches and case/keycaps color.

PCB mounted take the advantages of easier switch/LED mod here. And the feedback of PCB mounted kb is softer compared to plate mounted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2012, 23:56:14 by Human »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
I designed a layout very very simular to that first board a while back for wasd. Its interesting how they implemented it.

Wait... what?

Got any links to where i can view or research this implementation?

Or is this a "yet to be released / as yet unreleased / might not be released" model?
yea i have just the layout i made. Wasd was just fishing around for potential nonstandard layouts and i made a few. There was some interest here but the majority of his market wanted backlight abd tkl.

Offline neeb

It was released and is available to purchase from China for about $80. Which reminds me, I need to buy one of these now that the white pbt version is out.

Not bad at all. Please let us know if you do get one :D

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
So you guys like this layout.... people will be very happy soon

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio

I sense great mystery, oh and I do love the layout.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline neeb

:o orly? lol do tell more!

Offline fl0w3n

That does look like an interesting layout...however, at least for me, once you go TKL you don't go back. 

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
And thats why i built my phantom which is basically a HHKB + a numberpad

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Does CM exist to make customers happy? I "thought" it's what companies did, but until now CM seems to be the only one.

Offline zongeva

Need layout of this keyboard made by Costar!

This makes me both excited and annoyed. lol.

I want a new board now!

What i think would be great, is if the tenkey/edit-cluster from this layout was available separately, to combine with a "60%" board, like a pure or poker... so that i could just stick it on the left side. :P

Or like... a mechanical g13... with a true analog thumbstick. :P

Anyway, this 96 key layout is, imo, vastly superior to the typical full size layout... while keeping everything where it's expected to be. (except for those of you who actually use the tenkey nav/edit functionality)

GH doesn't seem to have a decent thread on this particular board, but i see that imsto has made one on deskthority a couple months ago.

I also found at least one seller on taobao with a backlit version of this.

I also noticed in one of the "stock photos" of the innards of this board, it's apparently got holes to add LED's yourself, if one were so inclined.

I would very much enjoy having one of these. ^^
Logitech G710+

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Well here is the layout that i cam up with if anyone is interested

Well here is the layout that i cam up with if anyone is interested

Show Image

Show Image

1st thing i see:

correlation between "mode" and "num-lock."

1) is "mode" required to access "num-lock?"
2) would this allow the "edit" features of the original "num-lock-off - tenkey" mode?
    a) while also allowing "typical edit cluster" functionality, in "non-tenkey-mode?"

Would be nice to have all 3 of those "modes":
1) "edit cluster" mode (which would evidently include media functions!)
2) tenkey +num-lock mode
3) tenkey -num-lock mode

Would be great if the "mode" key simply switched between "edit/media" mode, and "tenkey" mode, and while in tenkey-mode, "num-lock(insert)" would do what you'd expect.

Now... let's detach it, back-light it, and put it on the left side... and put everything in a "silent," minimalist, low-profile metal case. ;)
Logitech G710+

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
all the mode key does is switch between the 10key and the home cluster+arrows/media keys, nothing else. in each of the 2 modes the keyboard would function just as a normal keyboard would if it was in that layout.

all the mode key does is switch between the 10key and the home cluster+arrows/media keys, nothing else. in each of the 2 modes the keyboard would function just as a normal keyboard would if it was in that layout.

Cool. ^^

What about a dual-colored LED for the mode key/switch, to show which mode it's in?

Also... what about num-lock? Would it have an LED? Would that only be active in "tenkey mode?"

And... how might one acquire one of these? lol.
Logitech G710+

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Controllable dual color LEDs do not fit in Cherry MX switches.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Well umm its doesnt exist yet sadly as no one has made one yet... the one at the beginning of the post is somewhat like my layout though and who knows what Carter was talking about.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
And of course Profosist's would have to be a custom because I'd be amazed if anyone implemented his layered numpad area even considering how nice it is.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
If your interested in this you should check out the new cm storm board made by costar.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
If your interested in this you should check out the new cm storm board made by costar.
Carter said it's not made by Costar, nor is it made by iOne.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
thought he said it was in the thraed about the boad... Maybe i misread.

And where might one check out said board?

Edit: Oh. Right. here it is.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 01:31:59 by ferociousfingerings »
Logitech G710+

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Yep definitly misread. The board has a thread here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36137.0

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
thought he said it was in the thraed about the boad... Maybe i misread.
Here is his quote:

Board is not made by iOne, but not Costar.... Build quality is awesome though.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
yea my bad... so should we still make one?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Isn't this like a Noppoo or Poker? I do like this and I do like Noppoo and Poker... Just can't get my hands one them.

Assuming this is Chinese, this will also be on the cheaper end(price wise).

Wouldn't this be quite similar to the Noppoo or Poker? What is the big difference?  :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Poker has ~30 fewer keys, Noppoo is a brand... if you mean the Choc Mini, that has ~18 fewer keys.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Poker has ~30 fewer keys, Noppoo is a brand... if you mean the Choc Mini, that has ~18 fewer keys.

Oh thanks... If the Choc Mini and the Poker are smaller(Poker has full sized keys for sure not sure about Choc Mini) What makes this one so great? Is it the key placement that the Poker and the Choc Mini didn't have? I have Watched and read some reviews about the key and some criticism about the way they used the fn keys(if I can remember correctly the Poker does have a number pad using the fn keys, correct me if I'm wrong).
Thanks! :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
This board is to compete with 87key TKLs by being only slightly larger (1 key width) and having all the usability of a 104key board (arrow keys and numpad).

All mechanical keyboards have the same size key caps for 1x width keys, some of the larger caps are different widths depending on layout.

No numpad on the Poker, just F-keys and Nav-keys.  The Choc mini has the Fn-Numpad.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
so should we still make one?

Sure, I think we just need a good source of donor cases. If we want to do it cheaply, that is.

These MK-96 might do, but I'm not a fan of the bunched up F-keys.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
This board is to compete with 87key TKLs by being only slightly larger (1 key width) and having all the usability of a 104key board (arrow keys and numpad).

All mechanical keyboards have the same size key caps for 1x width keys, some of the larger caps are different widths depending on layout.

No numpad on the Poker, just F-keys and Nav-keys.  The Choc mini has the Fn-Numpad.

Oh thanks! Soo much diversity! Lol.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!

Sure, I think we just need a good source of donor cases. If we want to do it cheaply, that is.

could  we just make a simple case? that just sandwiches the pcb and plate?

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder

could  we just make a simple case? that just sandwiches the pcb and plate?

Any custom fabrication at all is gonna cost a bit though.

Kinda related - I'd be happy with PCB mounted MX, which simplifies the case a bit.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'

I just remembered, Razer BW has some smaller key caps on it.
SmallFry! <3

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Oh?  Do tell.  Because that .75" == 1x cap size limitation is enforced by the Cherry switches underneath.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Oh?  Do tell.  Because that .75" == 1x cap size limitation is enforced by the Cherry switches underneath.
Not sure, It was the Windows key at least that's what they looked like. I don't have my BW anymore.
SmallFry! <3

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
That's one of those larger than 1x caps that I already covered with "some of the larger caps are different widths depending on layout".  1x Windows keys are not uncommon at all.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline shawn o

Filco make a keyboard very similiar to this.

Offline Nadger

Has anyone had any luck getting these yet?  Last few times i tried getting a white one with red switches the vendors were out.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Has anyone had any luck getting these yet?  Last few times i tried getting a white one with red switches the vendors were out.

What is this called? This looks like the QFTK has the dame layout.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Jesus, and it costs US$ 60 on China! I'm soo getting one!
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Jesus, and it costs US$ 60 on China! I'm soo getting one!

Link!!! What is it called?
SmallFry! <3