Author Topic: [100% Completed] "23 Commando" High-profile Keyset Groupbuy  (Read 239919 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [95% Shipped] "23 Commando" High-profile Keyset Groupbuy
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:10:26 »
Yup, would be nice to have a sense of how much space 1 standard kit + 1 upgrade kit (probably many will get that) + 1 VL kit will take. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 16:17:22 »
zip 'em!

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 17:30:05 »
How much would shipping be to Germany for Set 1 + Set 1.1 ( + maybe ergo dox set) ?

Would this all fit in a small bubble?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 17:35:21 »
Okay, so I used the keys from an old Wang terminal board.  If I counted right, the alphanumeric set totals 65 keys.
30249-0

All these keys barely filled a USPS Small box halfway.
30251-1

I added all the modifiers, plus the top row relegendables (which are really more like DCS profile...) just as a test.
30253-230255-3

Still plenty of room.

One note; these keycaps have a stem that protrudes from the keycap, so they probably take up even more room than a MX-compatible cap would.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 17:36:12 »
How much would shipping be to Germany for Set 1 + Set 1.1 ( + maybe ergo dox set) ?

Would this all fit in a small bubble?

We are only shipping in priority mail boxes and we won't know exact costs until after the keycaps arrive, but at most you'd be looking at $60. No guarantee, but I would suspect that it'll be closer to $40.

Details are posted in the OP.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 17:39:02 »
Okay, so I used the keys from an old Wang terminal board.  If I counted right, the alphanumeric set totals 65 keys.

Ragnarock said 300 1x1 DSA would fit, we lowered it to 200 originally, but now it's looking more like 150, or there about.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 21:11:31 »
Just some observations...

All single SA profile keys only, no modifiers or space bars, just tossed in a small flat rate USPS box.

I got 215 in their but it was really full and no packaging.

If you were to lay them out in columns and rows roughly 70 key caps is the size of the box with a little room left.

I'll try with some baggies and bubble wrap, probably tomorrow.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 12:53:21 »
Just some observations...

All single SA profile keys only, no modifiers or space bars, just tossed in a small flat rate USPS box.

I got 215 in their but it was really full and no packaging.

If you were to lay them out in columns and rows roughly 70 key caps is the size of the box with a little room left.

I'll try with some baggies and bubble wrap, probably tomorrow.

Thank you SpAmRaY! So it's somewhere between 150 and 200 keys depending on modifiers and packaging. If I add up the Standard Kit and two upgrade kits, we're at 154 keys.

My recommendation is that if you're concerned about what will fit, be sure to add up the key count from your order. If it's over 200 you will more than likely need a medium box.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 12:59:46 »
I'm not sure.  My order for DSA retro had 203 keys which includes 2 sets of TKL mods, 1 alpha set, 3 space bars, and some blank keys and it didn't fit a USPS small flat rate box.

These SA are almost double it size, so..

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 13:16:44 »
I'm not sure.  My order for DSA retro had 203 keys which includes 2 sets of TKL mods, 1 alpha set, 3 space bars, and some blank keys and it didn't fit a USPS small flat rate box.

These SA are almost double it size, so..

Thanks Elton. All of this is speculation, but getting input like this helps provide at least some insight into what we can expect. Based on everything we've seen thus far, I think it'd be best to lower the key cap count to 150 for the small box. Even that might be pushing it.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 13:32:06 »
Looking at Kit 1 and 1.1, there are 4 space bars altogether.  That equals to 30 1x keys, so I'd watch out for that as well.

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 14:09:49 »
Thanks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 22:37:05 »
Put in baggies with some bubble wrap I only got about 120 single caps with a little room left

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:52:39 »
Thank you everyone for the test with Small box and SA keys!!

We need some more orders to officially get to the next price break...

AND solem2308 please provide me the correct information!

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 10:30:30 »
Just wondering, why use small flat rate box for overseas shipping?
More often than not, it is much cheaper to ship with a custom box. The raindrop GB was proof of that, a bigger box with a $17 shipping worldwide. I am not sure about cost for a box, but I would bet that adding the cost of the box ends up having a lower total cost, and a bigger box.

You can't track them after they have left the US. Not at least for my country anyway.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 10:46:36 »
I am really tempted to buy Set 1 + Set 1.1 + Set 1.2 but with those huge shipping prices and possibly 19% import tax I'll end up with ~200$ for it. This would be by far the most expensive set I ever ordered.

Was the Europe Proxy idea discarded?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 11:25:58 »

I don't think we have enough orders to justify the proxy, but anyway, I'm available.

Matt

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 12:08:00 »

I don't think we have enough orders to justify the proxy, but anyway, I'm available.

Matt

If it was cheaper if we combined our orders and shared shipping I would totally do it.

Do Italian Customs believe that a bag of plastic only costs 25$ or do they want to see the real invoice?

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 12:19:32 »
I just checked, currently we have 6 orders from Romania, Sweden, Italy and Germany. The total quantity is 6_6_5_2_3_4, quite large order.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 12:29:20 »
Order placed. It should be 75 of the main set, and one closer for the first add on. I hope the main items can all reach 75+.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 12:46:04 »
More often than not, it is much cheaper to ship with a custom box. The raindrop GB was proof of that, a bigger box with a $17 shipping worldwide. I am not sure about cost for a box, but I would bet that adding the cost of the box ends up having a lower total cost, and a bigger box.

You can't track them after they have left the US. Not at least for my country anyway.

That is exactly what we're doing.

We are using non-flat-rate boxes and shipping by weight for anything that doesn't fit in the small flat-rate box. Based on the tests performed thus far, it would appear that most orders will be in a medium box.  Unfortunately, since the shipping will be based on weight, I can't provide exact pricing for how much it will cost to ship.

All I can do is refer to past GBs to provide a ballpark. As I stated earlier "The most expensive DSA Retro International order was 7bit's and it was less than $50. " In other words, a large box shipped from the US to Germany cost less than $50. That's a great deal cheaper than the flat-rate pricing listed in the OP ($78).

I am really tempted to buy Set 1 + Set 1.1 + Set 1.2 but with those huge shipping prices and possibly 19% import tax I'll end up with ~200$ for it. This would be by far the most expensive set I ever ordered.

The proxy idea is still on the table, but as Matt3o stated, we may not have enough ordered to make it worthwhile. We'll make the final decision during the shipping phase when we can calculate the exact weight.

Thank You For Your Patience
I know this is very frustrating for everyone outside of CONUS to have to take the leap of faith that we'll do our best to get you the least expensive shipping costs available to us, but there are just too many unknowns at this point.

Since the sets aren't produced, we can weigh them, or test the packaging like we could if we were doing the standard DSA sets. Thanks to the SP Crap Bags, we've been able to make some rough estimates, but it's never going to be the exact. All I can do is point to the flat-rate pricing as a maximum and indicate that it will be less expensive than that.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 16:36:41 »
Do Italian Customs believe that a bag of plastic only costs 25$ or do they want to see the real invoice?

they 99% take the value declared (if the description is made right). Sometimes they inspect the packages, but we have just pieces of plastic inside, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 21:16:53 »
they 99% take the value declared (if the description is made right). Sometimes they inspect the packages, but we have just pieces of plastic inside, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Had no idea how you guys suffer with such draconian import tax charges.  Years ago, before the "Great Howard" took office we too where rogered for taxes if any goods were over $100AUD.

But the "Great Howard" scrapped that bullsh*t tax levy and updated it to over $1000AUD before you got bent-over and reamed heavily by Customs.

Again we are going to get a change of Government in September and it looks like this new "Moron-Abbott" wants to scrap the Howard initiative and force us all to pay tax on imports again around the $100AUD mark.

Christ I hate democracy now it just plain sucks for so-called freedom and your wallet.

Offline Rendom

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 21:26:02 »

Had no idea how you guys suffer with such draconian import tax charges.  Years ago, before the "Great Howard" took office we too where rogered for taxes if any goods were over $100AUD.

But the "Great Howard" scrapped that bullsh*t tax levy and updated it to over $1000AUD before you got bent-over and reamed heavily by Customs.

Again we are going to get a change of Government in September and it looks like this new "Moron-Abbott" wants to scrap the Howard initiative and force us all to pay tax on imports again around the $100AUD mark.

Christ I hate democracy now it just plain sucks for so-called freedom and your wallet.

I understand what you mean, really don't like what Tony is doing at the moment, it totally destroys the shipping even more. (at least that's my concern.)
QFR - MX Blue

Offline pasph

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 22:57:55 »
Import taxes are not the worst thing, here taxes are around 55% of the GDP (for reference in Australia is around 26%)...
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 00:45:14 »

We are using non-flat-rate boxes and shipping by weight for anything that doesn't fit in the small flat-rate box. Based on the tests performed thus far, it would appear that most orders will be in a medium box.  Unfortunately, since the shipping will be based on weight, I can't provide exact pricing for how much it will cost to ship.

All I can do is refer to past GBs to provide a ballpark. As I stated earlier "The most expensive DSA Retro International order was 7bit's and it was less than $50. " In other words, a large box shipped from the US to Germany cost less than $50. That's a great deal cheaper than the flat-rate pricing listed in the OP ($78).

Yes that is what you are doing for orders that don't fit into a flat rate box, that's what I read.

What about orders that do fit into flat rate box?
Any considerations being made to get a custom box anyway? For keycaps, using flat rate boxes for any amount of keycaps often ends up making shipping more expensive.

I do agree that it is more work to use a custom box, but if it saves money, I don't think anyone would mind paying the organizer(s) for the trouble.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 07:38:01 »

Yes that is what you are doing for orders that don't fit into a flat rate box, that's what I read.

What about orders that do fit into flat rate box?
Any considerations being made to get a custom box anyway? For keycaps, using flat rate boxes for any amount of keycaps often ends up making shipping more expensive.

I do agree that it is more work to use a custom box, but if it saves money, I don't think anyone would mind paying the organizer(s) for the trouble.

The only flat-rate box that we're using the small flat-rate box because of the price point that it offers. Using a custom box for something that size doesn't provide any cost savings.  Based on the tests thus far, only 100 - 150 keys are going to fit in that sized box. Anything larger than that gets a custom box and will shipped by weight.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 12:42:04 »
6 days to go and we will make it! We also need more orders!

Offline elton5354

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 13:09:38 »
I am definitely interested, but the price and shipping :O. I`d be getting kit 1 and 1.1, but that might not likely  fit in the small flat rate box.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 13:27:53 »
I am definitely interested, but the price and shipping :O. I`d be getting kit 1 and 1.1, but that might not likely  fit in the small flat rate box.

A small flat-rate box to Canada is $20, but I wanted to test and see what the pricing would be to ship to you at various weights, so I did the following:

1. I went to https://www.usps.com

2. Chose to ship to Canada

3. Select a "package" at the bottom and came up with the following pricing
     2lb = $28.76
     5lb = $35.39

Unfortunately, I just don't know how much your package will actually weigh, so it's not exact, but the flat-rate price for a medium box is $40 and I don't think your package will weigh 5lb.

Hope that helps!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 13:29:43 »
Do you need to ship via Priority to Canada?  First Class International should be cheaper, and when purchased online, it comes with delivery confirmation / tracking as well.

Offline jabar

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 22:52:24 »
any reason this GB couldn't be extended so that better tiers can be reached? just curious
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 23:02:45 »
It's sort of a niche offering.  It's an unusually strong theme, compared with "oooh, cool colours", and the profile is in and of itself unusual.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 02:14:17 »
any reason this GB couldn't be extended so that better tiers can be reached? just curious

I think many group buys are attempting to not take months and months but instead be quicker and smoother.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 21:08:26 »
Order moar~!

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 22:22:32 »

I think many group buys are attempting to not take months and months but instead be quicker and smoother.

With some of the recent buys with a concrete price and adding extras if cheap tiers are met, I think I'd prefer the cheaper prices than wondering what I'm going to get. Most SP buys are going to be smooth as far as the production and shipping is concerned, people are just becoming impatient and want it ASAP. I think since this is the first SA set besides what was in R4 people are waiting to see how it looks and hoping to snipe off of classifieds when they turn out really nice. I still don't agree on one kit paying for the new legends while another kit is ridiculously cheap in comparison, and maybe that is why some people are holding off.

Also this has only been open about a month, I'm not sure how many more people will sign up. Although with a lot of the recent sales some people might simply be strapped for cash and unable to participate  :-X
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline crazee64

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 00:36:41 »
I like the look of this set and I'm one of those who are really close to ordering, but yeah - it's just a little pricey for me given that I don't completely love the colour scheme (and I'm a little broke!) :(
Shame though, I am wanting something spherical.
Keyboards: Ducky 9008G2PRO PBT (MX Browns)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 01:03:23 »
For me, it's "I've spent too much on keyboard stuff lately" combined with "SA sounds appealing, but I don't like the colour choices."

Also, to cover a typical 104 board is two kits, costing about $100 plus shipping, assuming we hit the next tier.  To do it exactly how I'd want, with solid colour function keys, I'd need to go for three kits, running the tally up to over $150.

I'm hoping that this GB serves as a learning experience for us and Signature Plastics, which resolves all the issues of SA caps fit and legends) for the future.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 02:53:09 »
Also, to cover a typical 104 board is two kits, costing about $100 plus shipping, assuming we hit the next tier.  To do it exactly how I'd want, with solid colour function keys, I'd need to go for three kits, running the tally up to over $150.
$100 for a 104 keys layout set is not a bad price, if you compare it with other regular DCS key GBs at the same price tiers, and SA keys are cooler!
About the solid color function keys, the certain way to get those is that you order the kit.
However, you could note those in the order form then I might find a way to help you. Or, you could find someone willing to part with those later.

I'm hoping that this GB serves as a learning experience for us and Signature Plastics, which resolves all the issues of SA caps fit and legends) for the future.
I've gained much experience untill now. If I could be able to run another SA profile keys GB in the future, those experience would help a lot.

And, I have full faith in my color choices :p It would look great!!!
If anyone has the color chips from SP, you will see :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 03:00:31 »
And, I have full faith in my color choices :p It would look great!!!
If anyone has the color chips from SP, you will see :thumb:

Cmon, we all already know that by now jil_jil32  8) .  I think you're the one to run a successful full SA Key-set and that is why I am in this Group Buy.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 11:43:14 »
Did one of you guys order the 1.2 upgrade set and does NOT need/want the 4 ISO keys?

I am only interested in the ISO Enter key, the left Shift key and the 2 blanks. Maybe we could split the costs accordingly :)

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:16:59 »
Did one of you guys order the 1.2 upgrade set and does NOT need/want the 4 ISO keys?

I am only interested in the ISO Enter key, the left Shift key and the 2 blanks. Maybe we could split the costs accordingly :)

Order the Standard kit then I will give you those of mine free... ha ha ha... =P

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:23:17 »

Order the Standard kit then I will give you those of mine free... ha ha ha... =P

Deal! Thank you very much!

I'll take the 1.1 Kit as well to help you guys reach 75 on it.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:29:38 »
Yay!

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:42:46 »
Attention!

People, please check the Order List in the 2nd reply here -> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45655.msg955882#msg955882 about your order's details.

If your name is not in the list yet, please refill the Google form! Any mistake needs to be changed please PM me!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:44:13 »
we are really too close to the tier considering that a 5% won't fulfill

Offline Slavfot

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:58:56 »
I wan't one set but only if the ergodox is made. Can i cancel the order if it doesn't get enough buyers?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:11:01 »
I wan't one set but only if the ergodox is made. Can i cancel the order if it doesn't get enough buyers?

Generally that is bad if you cancel once invoices are out and you pay.  So you should decide before the payments close here.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:11:40 »
if the ergodox doesnt reach 25, it will be dropped if that is my understanding is correct

which is unfortunate because really would have liked an SA ergodox kit and i doubt there will be a rush of 20 orders in the next 4 days

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:50:33 »
@Slavfot: Please just put your order in!

@ErgoDox people: I just confirmed with mashby about the ErgoDox add-on kit's case.
If we can not reach the MOQ of 25 kits and end up with only few kits ordered, I will ask for quotes of the separately blank keys (maybe I should ask for it already). mashby is nice to agree to sort those blank keys and pack them for us (thank you ^^)
I can not guarantee about the price yet, but I think it's good to let you know that there's still a chance for the ErgoDox kit.