Author Topic: PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 (COMPLETED)  (Read 468666 times)

Offline catcradle5

Re: PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 + GMK ABS add ons
« Reply #1100 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:56:58 »
Hi, is it still possible to get in on this? I'd like to order the blank keycaps if possible. (Also sent a PM to Ivan.)

Thanks.

Offline Sergeant_Shart

« Reply #1101 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 08:48:54 »
So how can we expect this to roll out? First come first serve, how many shipping waves will it be appx or will all be coming in and going out at once?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1102 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 09:03:33 »
I will get the entire order at once. How long it takes me to send out the individual orders will depend, but typically I get it done in 1-2 weeks after receive.
I still have not heard back regarding dyesub test yet.

Offline pdkl55

« Reply #1103 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:11:12 »
oops, i love black on black. But i missed it >.<

Offline Sergeant_Shart

« Reply #1104 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:34:38 »
That sounds much more efficient than I was expecting. Cudos.

So what's your next venture after this is all said and done, Ivan?

Offline TBone

« Reply #1105 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:54:01 »
I will get the entire order at once. How long it takes me to send out the individual orders will depend, but typically I get it done in 1-2 weeks after receive.
I still have not heard back regarding dyesub test yet.

Ahhh!  :confused:

The wait is killing me, how long do you think until we see some keys? Does it normally take them this long to respond?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #1106 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 14:17:30 »
Wont the people who just got blanks get them a bit sooner?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #1107 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 14:44:19 »
I hope :P

Offline Sergeant_Shart

« Reply #1108 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 14:52:57 »
I hope :P

Me too but lets not get our hopes up!

Offline t2russo

« Reply #1109 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:58:41 »

Hasn't been that way the previous 2 rounds, don't put too much into this.

Let Ivan handle this the way he has the past times and don't have unrealistic expectations.  Expect 4-6 weeks at a minimum after Ivan gets the sample to verify the dyesubbing.

Check the previous groupbuy threads to see how progress and information was doled out, there is a track record to this and an established pattern.

You were warned about the wait prior to signing up.  This is a GROUP buy.  It is a purchase as a group and no one is a special snowflake.  I expect my blank and my dyesubbed set to show up at the same time and with the same level of QC and handling for both. 

There will be updates and QC and all that good stuff so we get a great product.  I am not going to be expecting a rush just for impatience.

Patience is a virtue. 

Offline tbc

« Reply #1110 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 18:01:58 »
i asked about the blanks being quicker.  not happening.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Kfactork

« Reply #1111 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 18:02:16 »
Let Ivan handle this the way he has the past times and don't have unrealistic expectations.  Expect 4-6 weeks at a minimum after Ivan gets the sample to verify the dyesubbing.
Check the previous groupbuy threads to see how progress and information was doled out, there is a track record to this and an established pattern.
You were warned about the wait prior to signing up.  This is a GROUP buy.  It is a purchase as a group and no one is a special snowflake.  I expect my blank and my dyesubbed set to show up at the same time and with the same level of QC and handling for both. 
There will be updates and QC and all that good stuff so we get a great product.  I am not going to be expecting a rush just for impatience.
Patience is a virtue.
Hear hear.  ^-^

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #1112 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 19:35:41 »

Patience is a virtue.
It was simply asked because the blank ones aren't going to need any dyesubbing, therefore that is one less step. The person didn't mean anything by it and surely wasn't looking for any special treatment. If in the past the blank shipped at the same time as the dyesubbed, okay, that is all they needed to know. No need to be so offended by a simple question.

Offline Sergeant_Shart

« Reply #1113 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 07:29:32 »

Patience is a virtue.

Yes, boss. Sorry, boss. It won't happen again, boss.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #1114 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 10:37:24 »
Another case of me being too juiced up at work on caffeine methinks.   :-\

The last black on black dyesub (vortex) had issues with people and the dyesubbing, so butts were hurt and complaints were had about legibility.  Originative's black otaku set got delayed because of color QC issues on the keys themselves.

The nicer, better point for me to make:

There are TWO steps to this process and places for it to get screwed up.  To prevent a 50/50 "some people have keys and need stuff fixed, other people are ok" situation, it will be easier to keep things lumped together so that the party responsible for the keys at each step (PLUM at manufacturing, IMSTO at dyesubbing, IVAN at final distribution) has full accountability and say before things get moved on or rushed.

I hate waiting for things too.  A LOT.  This is one thing I'm definitely going to exercise my best patience on, since this is the FIRST black on black Cherry-thickness buy ever, and the FIRST winkey black Cherry-PBT buy probably in the history of keyboards (seriously, what keyboard came with these?). 

MY personal attitude is that I need to be ok with waiting for these and letting the process run because  A) I've seen almost identical buys run to completion and I have faith in the parties involved and B) This product should be so friggin good that it should be worth it despite the bumps in getting to MOQ already.

Black is guud.  I shuld be nice and share black nicely.  Sorry :(

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1115 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 10:51:41 »
I think shipping cost's would also factor into to whether or not the blanks ship out separately. I'm sure a lot of people, like me, ordered a dyesub set and a blank set which would mean double the shipping costs to ship two packages vs one (plus more time & effort).

I'm more than fine waiting for this process to take as absolutely long as needed. These keys should/will be amazing and amazing things take time.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1116 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 11:25:48 »
I think some of you guys already answered these questions the same as me. :))
But yes you are exactly right. This is a first for many things. First time dealing with PLUM as a keycap source, first time of Cherry black PBTs, first time of imstos dyesub peeps dealing with dyesubbing on black... there will need to be extra checks to ensure everything comes out in the best way possible to avoid a big disappointment.
Shipping cost is also the exact reason I don't do splits on blank and printed as it makes no sense to pay shipping to me 2x. While I could do that, I would need to increase group buy fees to cover such thing.

Offline wthefourth

Re: PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 (pre-production)
« Reply #1117 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 23:20:52 »
Hope the extra 4 keys come through! Any idea what the extra 4 would look like for the black on black standard set?

Thanks for being so thorough, Ivan!  :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1118 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:34:25 »
The 4 extra top row keys will be included in each set. Obviously will also be blank on blank set, US set will have I - IV, US/RU will have some additional Soviet icons, Aurebesh will have some additional dark side icons.

Offline cphead

« Reply #1119 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:45:57 »
The 4 extra top row keys will be included in each set. Obviously will also be blank on blank set, US set will have I - IV, US/RU will have some additional Soviet icons, Aurebesh will have some additional dark side icons.

Schweet. Great job Ivan  :thumb: Now for the samples ..

Offline wthefourth

« Reply #1120 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:55:15 »
I love you.  :-*

Offline Kfactork

« Reply #1121 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:56:38 »
Woohoo. This is cool.
Thanks Ivan!

Offline TBone

« Reply #1122 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:29:11 »

So glad I got in on this, it will look great on my Ducky Shine I multimedia keys.  :thumb:
I always hated that sets never came with keys to change those!

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #1123 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:22:47 »
No big deal waiting.

The thing i'm more worried about is these being equal thickness to IMSTO caps.... since at the time of signing up thats what I thought I was buying. Changing the manufacturer mid-buy has me a little uneasy. I realize I could have backed out when PLUM was mentioned (before final payment), but I still want as thick as possible cherry profile black pbt.

& like I said, if they're equal to IMSTO caps I will be happy.

Offline TBone

« Reply #1124 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 16:00:16 »
No big deal waiting.

The thing i'm more worried about is these being equal thickness to IMSTO caps.... since at the time of signing up thats what I thought I was buying. Changing the manufacturer mid-buy has me a little uneasy. I realize I could have backed out when PLUM was mentioned (before final payment), but I still want as thick as possible cherry profile black pbt.

& like I said, if they're equal to IMSTO caps I will be happy.

Wait what? Who is PLUM? This keyboard will not be PLUM layout, will it?
I cannot find anything (posts, classifieds) about PLUM keycaps, so that makes me a little uneasy...  :-[
These are thick PBT right?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #1125 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 16:02:18 »
Yes PLUM manufactures keycaps, in this case standard layout, cherry profile, thick pbt keycaps.

Offline TBone

« Reply #1126 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 16:37:31 »
Yes PLUM manufactures keycaps, in this case standard layout, cherry profile, thick pbt keycaps.

Do you know of or have any examples of said key caps? What is the build quality like? Texture? How does it compare to IMSTO?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #1127 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 16:40:29 »
Some pictures were posted in this thread... somewhere... lol sorry not searching page after page again, i've done it a few times now.

Offline Sergeant_Shart

« Reply #1128 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:21:29 »
Well that's news to me. All I've read is IMSTO, IMSTO, IMSTO, in these threads. Who the hell is PLUM?

Ivan?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried now..

Offline Kfactork

« Reply #1129 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:25:42 »
Well that's news to me. All I've read is IMSTO, IMSTO, IMSTO, in these threads. Who the hell is PLUM?

Ivan?

We switched over to PLUM as the manufacturer because imsto can't do something (forgot what it was); Ivan expects it to be the same thickness and quality so I don't worry much about it. We will see.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #1130 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:32:11 »

Ivan?

We switched over to PLUM as the manufacturer because imsto can't do something (forgot what it was); Ivan expects it to be the same thickness and quality so I don't worry much about it. We will see.

PLUM's quality for the PBT is the same-- you still get cherry profile and dyesubbed with sharp corners. The reason we switched to PLUM was cause the MOQ for imsto is 400, whereas PLUM's was 300.
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline tbc

« Reply #1131 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:32:49 »

Ivan?

you're not going to be able to tell the difference.

one of the reasons we're going with PLUM because it has a lower MOQ. 

basically, go with PLUM which is the same thing as IMSTO or get nothing at all.

EDIT:

ninja'd :(
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Kfactork

« Reply #1132 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:34:56 »
Ah so that was it. ;D  I trust Ivan's decisions.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1133 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 18:50:33 »
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but here is my understanding of the situation. IMSTO does not manufacture key caps, he only does the dye sublimation. The thick keys most people are familiar with and are calling IMSTO keys are actually made by KBC and are simply dyed by IMSTO. PLUM is the factory Ivan decided to use instead of KBC due to the MOQ being 300 instead of 400. Im pretty sure IMSTO will still be doing the dye sublimation on the PLUM caps.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:09:26 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1134 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:58:59 »
IMSTO is still doing dyesub, Ivan has mentioned that even earlier on this page.

Plum is just the keycap source, the keys are still thick PBT, everything is the same just with a lower MOQ to have everything happen rather than not happen.

IMSTO was never in question, everything is still IMSTO, the caps are just from a different manufacturer. Everyone calm down :P
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #1135 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 09:43:28 »
Think I'm going to go crazy waiting for this set, the suspense is killing me waiting for these samples to come in. So glad these hit MOQ, awesome work through such a long ordering period, Ivan. Happy to be along for the ride.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1136 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 12:06:22 »
Yes please do not worry. You can be confident I would not go with some poor quality product. Plum make the Choc mini, and you can see it is some thick Cherry profile. From all I heard from Choc owner the keycap is good disregarding the lasering/pad printing which is irrelevant for us.

Just to confirm what other have responded, yes the keycap source was switch due to lower MOQ with Plum that was possible to reach. I felt switching from KBC was better option that not getting anything.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 April 2014, 12:10:15 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1137 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 14:00:37 »
Yes please do not worry. You can be confident I would not go with some poor quality product. Plum make the Choc mini, and you can see it is some thick Cherry profile. From all I heard from Choc owner the keycap is good disregarding the lasering/pad printing which is irrelevant for us.
Show Image

Just to confirm what other have responded, yes the keycap source was switch due to lower MOQ with Plum that was possible to reach. I felt switching from KBC was better option that not getting anything.

I thought the Choc Mini came with POM key caps?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #1138 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 19:27:49 »
I think some of you guys already answered these questions the same as me. :))
But yes you are exactly right. This is a first for many things. First time dealing with PLUM as a keycap source, first time of Cherry black PBTs, first time of imstos dyesub peeps dealing with dyesubbing on black... there will need to be extra checks to ensure everything comes out in the best way possible to avoid a big disappointment.
Shipping cost is also the exact reason I don't do splits on blank and printed as it makes no sense to pay shipping to me 2x. While I could do that, I would need to increase group buy fees to cover such thing.

Show Image

I thought the Choc Mini came with POM key caps?

Quite possible, but more than likely irrelevant. We are getting cherry profile thick black blank PBT caps from PLUM who is confirmed to be a good manufacturer.
IMSTO has dudes to dyesub it for us.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1139 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 21:06:28 »
Show Image

Can you have a comfirmation about the F and J key, I remember some one not a long time ago told that the 2 keycaps were lower than the rest of the row :/
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1140 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:05:26 »
Looks normal?
62115-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:53:16 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline dannyp

« Reply #1141 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:19:43 »

Offline nono0044

« Reply #1142 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:38:06 »

Offline TBone

« Reply #1143 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:46:42 »
Yeah Ivan, it just says some PC Online.com and some Chinese text...are these samples? I'm so excited to see the pic!!!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1144 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:54:28 »
Just posted pic to answer bazh question about F J key.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #1145 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:26:50 »
Show Image

Plum may not be poor quality but they look slightly thinner to me... Guess we would need someone who owns a noppoo and a imsto/kbc set to be sure. Ugh, wish we coulda just gotten kbc caps

Vs
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:36:24 by Lu_e »

Offline t2russo

« Reply #1146 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:53:34 »
I think someone who doesn't have both hand in hand shouldn't speculate.  This is seeming kind of sensationalist over something you actually haven't seen for yourself?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #1147 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:59:20 »
I think someone who doesn't have both hand in hand shouldn't speculate.  This is seeming kind of sensationalist over something you actually haven't seen for yourself?

Ditto, I think we should reserve judgement for when the samples come in at the very least.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1148 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:03:44 »
The apparent difference may just be a trick of the angles that the individual keys are shown at. Looking at the images in photoshop and adjusting for scale, the difference in thickness between the two is consistently at most one pixel, which I can attribute to the different angles the caps were shown at.

Regardless, even if the caps are thinner, they are still thick PBT, and therefore thicker than most caps you come across. Even if they're only 90% as thick as you were expecting, is that not good enough?

I do agree that we shouldn't complain until we have someone to compare side by side, and see what the difference really is. It just doesn't seem as bad as it's being made out to be.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #1149 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:04:25 »
Thickness doesn't look any different to me in those pictures... You are comparing black parts to light blue parts, black is going to look a little smaller/thinner, plus the angles of the pictures on those plum pictures are far from ideal to tell in the first place.