Author Topic: [GB] Stainless steel universal TKL plates (ANSI 125)  (Read 53785 times)

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
Re: [GB] Stainless steel universal TKL plates (ANSI 125)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 20:56:50 »
When does this end?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 21:10:00 »
When does this end?
When the MOQ is met I'm guessing.  I think Strict mentioned he wanted to keep this a relatively low order since it's his first time working with this company.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 21:33:26 »
When does this end?
When the MOQ is met I'm guessing.  I think Strict mentioned he wanted to keep this a relatively low order since it's his first time working with this company.

Sounds reasonable. Any Australian wants to combine shipping? Let me know, I'm only looking to get 1 plate for my ducky.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 06:00:01 »
Depends on how many others we get involved as 3 plates (which is all we're at now) would cost too much.  I might have one other interested but he wants to know:

Will this fit a Leopold FC200R (which takes plate mount cherry stabs) ?

It is compatible with cherry plate stabs but I don't know if it will fit the FC200R. I couldn't find readily available pictures of the guts of that keyboard so your friend or someone else would have to pop open the case and compare the existing plate to the picture from the first post.

Regarding international shipping, keep in mind I can only get 2 plates per envelope so for proxy shipping to even approach being worth it I think we will need at least 4 or more plates shipped in a large flat rate box ($75). Im guessing I could get close to a dozen or so plates into one of the large flat rate boxes.

The good news though is that we're up to 32 orders now!

Thanks - I've passed that on to him and am waiting to hear back.  I have another couple of people interested on another forum so including LechnerDE's two that might be 5 or 6 which would make one flat rate box quite good value at ~$12 per plate (unless like LechnerDE you have 2 plates in which case it would still be cheaper to have it sent direct...)
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 06:13:46 »
Well, if it costs 2x 12$ through you, I'd save one precious Dollar :D

And if it comes from the UK there is no risk for me to pay import taxes, so if you don't mind I'd be happy to get my 2 plates from you.

Edit:

I am stupid and forgot that it costs another 8$ to forward my plates. If you get more people interested we might be able to lower the shipping costs per plate to something like 8$. Then it would be worthwhile for me again :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 March 2014, 06:17:31 by LechnerDE »

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 07:09:02 »
Yeah - let's see how it goes with yours. 

Does anyone else in the UK / EU want me to proxy stuff?
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:10:16 »
Should be getting a prototype plate early next week  :cool:

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:31:22 »
Should be getting a prototype plate early next week  :cool:

Sweet :)

Excited to see how it turned out.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:52:33 »
Sorry for nothing related to the Topic but you guys saw this topic ID?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55555.50

WOW  :eek:
I like linear switches

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:58:10 »

Your link is to this thread?
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 08:00:13 »

Yes, I think it is quite rate to have 6 number 5 in a row like that.
I like linear switches

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:19:15 »
hmmmm... I might need to order another one of these. This would be the third time lol (previously aluminum and steel).

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:06:12 »

Yes, I think it is quite rate to have 6 number 5 in a row like that.

Looks as though somebody has a spoilt switch that spams 5
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 18:16:53 »
Here is an imgur album of the prototype I picked up today. This is a 063 aluminum plate that was used ONLY for the prototype, the production plates will be 304 stainless. Aluminum was used for the prototype mainly because I was just concerned with all the measurements being correct and making sure the tolerances could be met.

There are some slight surface scuffs and markings, however they are all pretty light. The production stainless plates should be a more resilient metal and hopefully have less markings. Let me know what you guys think!

http://imgur.com/a/Up10e

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 18:22:11 »
Looks good to me!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 18:55:54 »
Looks great Strict!!! Hope we get to MOQ soon!!  :cool:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 19:54:01 »
Yeah, I'm somewhat surprised this isn't sitting at about 50 orders so far. One thing to think about, if you can afford it, is that you might want to pick up an extra plate, or even two in this GB. The plates only seem to be made once a year or so, and people are ALWAYS wanting them. You could probably use one of these to trade for something that doesn't come along every day, because these plates will end up being highly sought after once they haven't been produced for a while. New people come into this hobby all the time, and want things that were made before they started.

Now, if there is a steady stream of them being produced, this doesn't really apply, but I feel it's better to have extra than not enough. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 21:38:14 »
Here is an imgur album of the prototype I picked up today. This is a 063 aluminum plate that was used ONLY for the prototype, the production plates will be 304 stainless. Aluminum was used for the prototype mainly because I was just concerned with all the measurements being correct and making sure the tolerances could be met.

There are some slight surface scuffs and markings, however they are all pretty light. The production stainless plates should be a more resilient metal and hopefully have less markings. Let me know what you guys think!

Looks good :thumb:

Strict do you think you will do a round2 after these are made?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 02:23:11 »
Yeah, I'm somewhat surprised this isn't sitting at about 50 orders so far. One thing to think about, if you can afford it, is that you might want to pick up an extra plate, or even two in this GB. The plates only seem to be made once a year or so, and people are ALWAYS wanting them. You could probably use one of these to trade for something that doesn't come along every day, because these plates will end up being highly sought after once they haven't been produced for a while. New people come into this hobby all the time, and want things that were made before they started.

Now, if there is a steady stream of them being produced, this doesn't really apply, but I feel it's better to have extra than not enough. :)

If another plate wouldn't increase the shipping costs from 25$ to 50$ I'd be up for another one :)

Yeah, I am also interested in a Round 2, if you offer a universal plate that allows all kinds of setups. Like 1.5 mods and short right shift keys similar to the universal layout of the GH plates  :thumb:

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 03:55:09 »
I should be adding an order for another 3 or 4 once I get confirmation from a few people this end :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 06:39:20 »

Yeah, I am also interested in a Round 2, if you offer a universal plate that allows all kinds of setups. Like 1.5 mods and short right shift keys similar to the universal layout of the GH plates  :thumb:

I could easily design the plate to have those options, but what PCB would you use it with? Almost all the keyboards this plate is designed for use plate mount stabilizers only, not PCB mount. Meaning there are no holes at all on the PCB for mounting stabilizers. And to have a plate with those different layout options, you have to use PCB mount stabilizers. Because the holes in the plate for switches and stabilizers overlap, so you just end up with a big hole where the stabilizer goes, and not the proper cutout for mounting the stabilizer to the plate. Which is fine, as long as you can use PCB mounted stabilizers.

I guess the few people who have A.87 PCBs could use a plate like that, but I don't think you would ever hit any kind of MOQ for the plate. :(

in memoriam

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 07:44:14 »

Let me finish up R1 and I will say for sure but currently things have gone well enough its a very good possibility. We still have a ways to go though (invoicing, production, shipping, etc).

Offline Ishamael

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:08:27 »
Seriously tempted. Gotta mull it over, but might order one when I get home from work.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:18:53 »

I could easily design the plate to have those options, but what PCB would you use it with? Almost all the keyboards this plate is designed for use plate mount stabilizers only, not PCB mount. Meaning there are no holes at all on the PCB for mounting stabilizers. And to have a plate with those different layout options, you have to use PCB mount stabilizers. Because the holes in the plate for switches and stabilizers overlap, so you just end up with a big hole where the stabilizer goes, and not the proper cutout for mounting the stabilizer to the plate. Which is fine, as long as you can use PCB mounted stabilizers.

I guess the few people who have A.87 PCBs could use a plate like that, but I don't think you would ever hit any kind of MOQ for the plate. :(

Oh, I wasn't aware of these details. I am still a total noob when it comes to building a keyboard :p

The Phantom will be my first project. Doesn't the Phantom PCB allow 1,5 Mods or were you specifically talking about the short right shift key?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:35:34 »
Oh, I wasn't aware of these details. I am still a total noob when it comes to building a keyboard :p

The Phantom will be my first project. Doesn't the Phantom PCB allow 1,5 Mods or were you specifically talking about the short right shift key?

Yes, the Phantom PCB allows for 1.5-unit mods, but you need a separate plate design for that. You can't combine the designs for 125 and 150 into a single plate, as in the GH60 Universal plate, because GH60 allows for PCB mount stabilizers, and Phantom doesn't. In this case, the term "Universal" means that this ANSI125 plate will replace the stock plates of several different keyboards, e.g. Filco, QFR, Phantom, etc. In the case of the GH60 "Universal" plate, it means that one plate covers several layout options.

in memoriam

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:43:12 »
Thanks for the clarification  :thumb:

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:09:11 »

You convinced me.   Just ordered another.....

Offline n7

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 22:29:29 »
I broke the stem of one of the switches on my FC200R. Since this kind of damage isn't covered by my warranty anyway, I was thinking about doing some other mods. What would be the best way to determine if the plate would fit this keyboard? I saw a couple of other people ask about it in this thread, but it doesn't look like there was a definitive answer

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 23:01:49 »

I broke the stem of one of the switches on my FC200R. Since this kind of damage isn't covered by my warranty anyway, I was thinking about doing some other mods. What would be the best way to determine if the plate would fit this keyboard? I saw a couple of other people ask about it in this thread, but it doesn't look like there was a definitive answer

I can't be sure, since I haven't tried this plate on a Leopold, but there is a high probability that it will fit. If it does, you also gain the ability to mount stabilizers to the plate which will accept normal spacebars. :)

in memoriam

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 23:20:59 »

I can't be sure, since I haven't tried this plate on a Leopold, but there is a high probability that it will fit. If it does, you also gain the ability to mount stabilizers to the plate which will accept normal spacebars. :)

Jalaj was selling a Leopold TKL here on GH that had one of WFD's plates in it with Costar stabilizers.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:50:50 »
Were now at 34 orders so if you're holding off for some reason now is the time to get in. Even if we don't get all 36 orders I don't plan on keeping this open much longer. If I have to, I will buy the remaining plates myself and figure out something to do with them.

Offline n7

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 14:05:16 »
Went ahead and ordered! These look too nice to pass up  :thumb:

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:18:12 »

That makes number 36. I plan on closing this up by end-of-day on Friday and starting the process of sending out PayPal invoices either Saturday or Sunday. If all that goes well hopefully I can give the go ahead to start production of the plates by the middle of next week.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 March 2014, 18:48:06 by strict »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:30:23 »

That makes number 36. I plan on closing this up by end-of-day on Friday and starting the process of sending out PayPal invoices either Saturday or Sunday. If all that goes well hopefully I can give the go ahead to start production on the plates by the middle of next week.
Thanks again for making this happen Strict!  :thumb:

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:49:46 »
Best get chasing up this end then - can you wait to hear from me?  I won't hold things up - I promise!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 18:55:52 »
Best get chasing up this end then - can you wait to hear from me?  I won't hold things up - I promise!

I plan on closing the order form on Friday night so as long as you can get those orders sorted out by then thats no problem. If not, you/they will have to hold out for round 2.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 21:27:20 »

I plan on closing the order form on Friday night so as long as you can get those orders sorted out by then thats no problem. If not, you/they will have to hold out for round 2.

Glad to hear you are going to do a round2.  I will definitely order another one/two for my other Filcos.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:49:52 »

I'll definitely get an order in by then :thumb:

Offline geniekid

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:16:30 »
If I have a QFR, is the benefit of this plate that I can do switch top removal without desoldering (well, once I've desoldered and resoldered to install the plate)?  I'm kind of looking for an excuse to buy this, but I'm already pretty happy with the default QFR plate (I THINK it's powder coated stainless steel).

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 15:23:21 »
If I have a QFR, is the benefit of this plate that I can do switch top removal without desoldering (well, once I've desoldered and resoldered to install the plate)?  I'm kind of looking for an excuse to buy this, but I'm already pretty happy with the default QFR plate (I THINK it's powder coated stainless steel).
Yes, once the plate is installed, it will allow for the removal of the top of the switch which will allow for installation of new springs and stems.  In addition, you'd also be able to install switch stickers or apply lube as well.  It's a really nice way to try different switches/springs to potentially find new combinations you might like.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 13:10:26 »
Placed an order for 3 plates although that may change to 4 but maybe not :thumb:

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 23:29:08 »
Final count for round 1 was 41 plates from 26 users. I'm going to try to get all invoices sent out before the end of the weekend. As soon as all the invoices are paid I will give the green light for production to start. Thanks everyone for making this a success thus far! :cool:

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 23:33:34 »
Final count for round 1 was 41 plates from 26 users. I'm going to try to get all invoices sent out before the end of the weekend. As soon as all the invoices are paid I will give the green light for production to start. Thanks everyone for making this a success thus far! :cool:

Thank you strict for doing this :thumb:
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 20:14:36 »
Invoices have been sent. I double checked everything but if there are any problems with them please let me know.

Offline n7

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:00:51 »
Paid!! Thanks for organizing this buy :)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:04:47 »
Paid! Thanks again Strict!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:45:37 »
Paid.  Thanks again strict, and I look forward to round2.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:25:32 by CommonCurt »
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:12:26 »
Paid. Thanks strict
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:12:28 »
Paid up....excited to finally get my hands on a custom TKL plate.

Thanks a TON strict!!!

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:22:21 »
Check PM strict

Thanks