Author Topic: Thinking about swapping caps (again) and painting my QFR  (Read 2284 times)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
Thinking about swapping caps (again) and painting my QFR
« on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:45:29 »
Recently I purchased a two toned set of caps from WASD because I really like a similar themed Poker. Well I got them and Im not the biggest fan, the inspiration keyboard had blanks and I wish I would have went with them myself.

My board (My tower is black with green LEDs inside, hence why I wanted this color scheme)

So, Im not the biggest fan of how it turned out, I think it's a combination of the font and the keycap style (I though I was ordering the DSA style caps). I have also recently ordered a QFR top case and plan on painting it a metallic lime green color (I have access to automotive paint and equipment)

If I go with the metallic lime green for the case, do you all think I should go with BLACK or WHITE blanks? I am a huge fan of WHITE blanks

Offline nuclearsandwich

Re: Thinking about swapping caps (again) and painting my QFR
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 09:15:45 »
Recently I purchased a two toned set of caps from WASD because I really like a similar themed Poker. Well I got them and Im not the biggest fan, the inspiration keyboard had blanks and I wish I would have went with them myself.

My board (My tower is black with green LEDs inside, hence why I wanted this color scheme)
Show Image

So, Im not the biggest fan of how it turned out, I think it's a combination of the font and the keycap style (I though I was ordering the DSA style caps). I have also recently ordered a QFR top case and plan on painting it a metallic lime green color (I have access to automotive paint and equipment)

If I go with the metallic lime green for the case, do you all think I should go with BLACK or WHITE blanks? I am a huge fan of WHITE blanks

The white DSA blanks show dirt really quickly and aren't that easy to clean due to the texture on top. I ended up swapping my blanks out after just a couple months the two or three times I put them on a board so I could soak them in soapy water and give them a wash. Then I never put them back on anything.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 09:18:24 »

Show Image

If you decide you would like printed caps it might look good with Toxic

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55644.0

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 09:25:17 »

Show Image

The white DSA blanks show dirt really quickly and aren't that easy to clean due to the texture on top. I ended up swapping my blanks out after just a couple months the two or three times I put them on a board so I could soak them in soapy water and give them a wash. Then I never put them back on anything.

:(

Show Image

If you decide you would like printed caps it might look good with Toxic

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55644.0

I really like the Toxic set, but I dont have the funds to justify spending that much on a "novelty" item

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 09:55:23 »
I think the black and green DSA blanks from Signature Plastics look really nice together and that would look pretty slick on a case color matched to the green PBT blanks. Similar to the setup you have now but with DSA blanks and with the case painted lime like you mentioned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:20:17 »
You can clean most keycaps fairly easily with denture tablets.  Just dissolve 2 or 3 tablets in warm water, soak keycaps for 1/2 hour or so, let them dry - clean as new.

If you find that the keycaps are getting dirty (which could be an environmental issue), just plan to do this every couple of months.

As to colour - it is your keyboard, get the keycaps you want.  If you like the white ones, get them.

You'll probably end up buying more at some stage anyway :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 20:49:26 »

You'll probably end up buying more at some stage anyway :p

Two weeks later   :p