Author Topic: I'm Coming Off the Fence. The iPad Will Be Huge  (Read 36156 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I'm Coming Off the Fence. The iPad Will Be Huge
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 16:31:47 »
Unless they're coming out with an iPad server and iPad workstation, I think Intel is quite safe for the foreseeable future.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 21:17:51 »
The iPhone will use bing.com as it's default search engine.

This is awesome, everyone knows bing.com pwns google.com in search.  In fact I never use google.com unless I want to get relevant search results without hassle or crap.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 21:05:34 »
HaaTa, you've left Japan a little too soon. You missed the show.

-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 15:14:39 »
Well this is interesting... apparently the iPad got its start before the iPhone did which means that all those times Steve Jobs was telling people that there's no future for the tablet computer, they were either working on one or had plans to resume working on one.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 16:11:25 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;188950
Well this is interesting... apparently the iPad got its start before the iPhone did

From that link:
"On AT&T's network: "iPhone is the first phone where we separated the carrier from the hardware. They worry about the network, while we worry about the phone."

So let me get this right. They tie the iPhone to a single carrier - AT&T - and they call that separation. Riiiiiight...

Offline vyshane

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 22:16:34 »
Quote from: Rajagra;188959
From that link:
"On AT&T's network: "iPhone is the first phone where we separated the carrier from the hardware. They worry about the network, while we worry about the phone."

So let me get this right. They tie the iPhone to a single carrier - AT&T - and they call that separation. Riiiiiight...

Sucks to be in the US ;)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 10:14:36 »
Quote from: ripster;189189
AT&T announces the end of unlimited data because people actually used it.

Fixed. Beat me to that story by seconds. :smile:

Seems AT&T define unlimited the same way Apple defines separation.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 05:26:32 »
Quote from: Rajagra;189190
Seems AT&T define unlimited the same way Apple defines separation.

They're actually continuing to honor the unlimited data plans for people who are already on them, but the plan is being discontinued for any new customers. I'm all for it. I'm not an AT&T customer, but if I were, I really don't care to be subsidizing the overuse of some clueless guy who can't figure out that maybe it's better for everyone if he could download his movies over WiFi. Besides that, it's just plain wasteful to encourage people to use a more resource intensive medium when a much more efficient one is readily available most of the time.
-

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 05:32:59 »
I've never understood why they make this out to be a problem. All they have to do is give priority to users who are using the least bandwidth at that moment. Problem solved, while allowing optimum use of the existing infrastructure.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 16:34:48 »
Quote from: Rajagra;189493
I've never understood why they make this out to be a problem. All they have to do is give priority to users who are using the least bandwidth at that moment. Problem solved, while allowing optimum use of the existing infrastructure.

I'm no superfly network engineer, but from my experiences in the Web hosting world and all the not so effective technologies that are supposed to give you a guaranteed share of CPU and bandwidth, I think this is a lot harder to pull off in practice than it sounds. Besides that, offsetting the high bandwidth users may not necessarily decrease network congestion as it just means that those guys will continue making requests for a response over the network.

I can't profess to really know what I'm talking about here, but it just seems that while these smart usage schemes are useful under standard usage patterns, they don't stand up against abuse quite so well as the bottleneck moves somewhere else.
-

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 05 June 2010, 06:20:23 »
Quote from: webwit;189873
Steve Ballmer being right for once?

Nothing that people do on a PC today is going to get less relevant tomorrow.

Key point there. People are going to carry on doing the same things, just in different ways. For example people used to use word processors to prepare letters which were posted. Now they compose emails and send them over the Internet. How we do things is changing, and the rate of change is always accelerating.

Now what kind of equipment is best able to cater to those changing needs? A general purpose computer that can be freely modified in both hardware and software? Or a closed 'consumer device'?

iPad lovers will argue that new apps will be downloadable. That only goes some way to compensate for the limitations of the concept. The bottom line is you are buying a throwaway* product and throwaway software. If that serves your purpose, that's great. But don't use "There's an app for that" as a trite excuse for the designed-in limitations.

(*) Throwaway in the sense of being designed for specific types of use, and useless once your needs go beyond that.

I'm reminded of the Fight Club quote about single-serving friends. The iPad is your single-serving gadget.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 05 June 2010, 09:34:19 »
Quote from: webwit;189873
Does anyone remember when Apple was dying end of last millennium, and MS saved them?

Wasn't this because they didn't have Steve Jobs and his Reality Distortion Field generator?

Offline chimera15

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 00:32:34 »
THe ipad's a giant iphone/ipod, which I already own. I don't get it. I don't see using any the apps I have on my ipod in a bigger format.  The only reason I tolerate the os/crappy programs on the ipod is it's tiny thin format.  I'll wait for oqo or someone to come up with a super flat tablet pc that runs full windows, that isn't limited by not having flash, and having a crappy capacitive touchscreen.  It shouldn't be that hard, there are already slates that are almost there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2010, 00:34:46 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline vyshane

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 00:51:19 »
Quote from: chimera15;190444
THe ipad's a giant iphone/ipod, which I already own. I don't get it. I don't see using any the apps I have on my ipod in a bigger format.  The only reason I tolerate the os/crappy programs on the ipod is it's tiny thin format.  I'll wait for oqo or someone to come up with a super flat tablet pc that runs full windows, that isn't limited by not having flash, and having a crappy capacitive touchscreen.  It shouldn't be that hard, there are already slates that are almost there.

Different form factors make different things possible. My PC is just a bigger version of my laptop. I still rather use the PC for some things.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 00:56:10 »
This looks like it's far more useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOQNTySZhZU&playnext_from=TL&videos=f6kyWH-crjk&feature=sub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwzdy6ETEmU&feature=player_embedded

If I want to use something with a larger form factor, I'll use one of my tabletpcs which are the same size, and actually run useful non handicapped programs.

The only difference between my hp tx2500z, and the ipad is that the hp is thicker, less heat efficient, and has a shorter single batter life in every functional way, it's 1000 times better.  It also cost about the same.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2010, 01:15:05 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 01:41:22 »
Quote from: chimera15;190462
The only difference between my hp tx2500z, and the ipad is that the hp is thicker, less heat efficient, and has a shorter single batter life in every functional way, it's 1000 times better.  It also cost about the same.

You already have a great setup that works for you and its shortcomings are more tolerable to you than the iPad and similar devices' shortcomings.  Perfect. iPad and similar devices suck... for you. Nothing wrong with that.

We really don't need to go through this pointless exercise of identifying why it's ridiculous to have anything besides a full fledged laptop style tablet running a full OS. That horse is as dead as a horse on the moon.

Now whether Ballmer's prediction is correct? It'll be wait and see won't it? Conventional strategy is always about repeating what worked last time which is the MS and Google approach. Steve Jobs seems to think that what didn't work last time around will work this time around. That sounds equally dubious, but the value proposition of a controlled platform may have more appeal than it used to. So much of what the average non-geek wants is Web based anyway and apps are more readily available for all significant platforms than was the case twenty years ago when the consumer software industry was merely getting started.

The world has changed. We just don't know how much. I personally think Ballmer has as much of a chance of being right as Steve Jobs does, but I don't give his view more weight simply because it was the last winning strategy used.

Don't hand out crowns to Android just yet because it had a few very good cycles. They're still a feel good story and haven't yet been subjected to the treatment reserved for front runners. The lead Apple has in Apps? It's huge, but I wouldn't overvalue that either. For the same reason why a closed system might not be such a bad idea this time around makes the lead in application count less relevant than it did 20 years ago.

Chill out, buy what works for you, and enjoy the race. Apple won't destroy the software industry nor own the world. Neither will Microsoft. Google just might own far more of the world than anyone is comfortable with, which would then really pose a problem to their core value because they wouldn't be Google if people everywhere started treating them like they're indeed very evil and go through pains to withhold personal data from them. Their future is not a foregone conclusion either. They make a lot of money, but they spend a lot of money too.

Yahoo has been that way before and Yahoo started spending money left and right on all sorts of things it wasn't known for and then they were hit really hard by AdSense and a drop in display advertising.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2010, 02:10:15 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline vyshane

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 07:03:34 »
I'll put it this way. I reach for my iPad the way I reach for the keys to my two seater convertible. With anticipation that it will be a fun experience.

Do I need a sports car? It's not very practical. It can't seat five adults like my other car. Boot space is laughable. It gets less MPG. But if I have to go somewhere, and either car would do the job, guess which key I reach for. The iPad is fun to use. It is not always about what a device can do. How it does it matters too.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 23:17:40 »
Quote from: vyshane;190510
It is not always about what a device can do. How it does it matters too.

Bingo. This is how Steve Jobs makes money. This is why the common Windows user will never understand the advantages of the MacOS, and it's the same reason Porsche succeeds in a world with the Miata and MR2. It's why rubber domes outsell mechanicals, despite few people returning to domes after trying a mechanical: Once you test drive "better," you find it hard to go back to acceptable. And people who are satisfied by acceptable are fearful of admitting to Better, because it invalidates accepting the acceptable.

"But I can do all that on my Miata/Logitech/Windows machine, why should I pay more for a Boxster/Filco/MacOS?"

"I can surf the net without Flash on my $10 Windows CE tablet. I can do all that. Why buy an iPad?"

Because it's better.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 23:21:55 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 23:43:06 »
According to what you've said ricercar, where do the people who have used and recognize the superiority of the Boxster but prefer the Miata fit in?

What if the Miata driver prefers his car because Mazda is a Ford subsidiary (something totally irrelevant to the product itself)?

What if, putting this more into iPad-class stuff, we're talking about a Chevy Chevette vs. a Ford Tempo? Sure, the Chevette has all that "world car" stuff going for it, but due to some failure on the part of the designers my winter boots happen to press both brake and accelerator pedals simultaneously whereas the same problem doesn't exist in the Tempo because the designers didn't put tiny pedals immediately beside each other?

A pretty Chevy Chevette is still a Chevy Chevette...
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 23:46:28 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 00:19:18 »
Quote from: ricercar;191167
Bingo. This is how Steve Jobs makes money. This is why the common Windows user will never understand the advantages of the MacOS, and it's the same reason Porsche succeeds in a world with the Miata and MR2. It's why rubber domes outsell mechanicals, despite few people returning to domes after trying a mechanical: Once you test drive "better," you find it hard to go back to acceptable. And people who are satisfied by acceptable are fearful of admitting to Better, because it invalidates accepting the acceptable.

"But I can do all that on my Miata/Logitech/Windows machine, why should I pay more for a Boxster/Filco/MacOS?"

"I can surf the net without Flash on my $10 Windows CE tablet. I can do all that. Why buy an iPad?"

Because it's better.

The iPad's touch screen keyboard is actually better than you'd think. Some may think I'm crazy when I say this, but it wasn't all that bad. I'd use it over a mushy rubber dome any day (you can type fairly fast too).

Sorry but I think windows is better than OSX. Windows is way more versatile and backwards compatible (which is why it's more bloated). If microsoft completely redesigned windows from scratch like Apple did for OSX, then obviously it would be faster. I guess some people don't realize that.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline vyshane

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 04:05:08 »
Quote from: kishy;191173
According to what you've said ricercar, where do the people who have used and recognize the superiority of the Boxster but prefer the Miata fit in?

What if the Miata driver prefers his car because Mazda is a Ford subsidiary (something totally irrelevant to the product itself)?

What if, putting this more into iPad-class stuff, we're talking about a Chevy Chevette vs. a Ford Tempo? Sure, the Chevette has all that "world car" stuff going for it, but due to some failure on the part of the designers my winter boots happen to press both brake and accelerator pedals simultaneously whereas the same problem doesn't exist in the Tempo because the designers didn't put tiny pedals immediately beside each other?

A pretty Chevy Chevette is still a Chevy Chevette...

I was afraid that we'd get bogged down arguing about the analogies. I'm guilty of starting this, and I appologise. The point that I was trying to make is this:

Any given object has many different attributes. Some of these can easily be listed, quantified and compared. As geeks, we like to compare Processor speeds, amount of RAM, etc. We love our feature lists. But objects also have other qualities that are less quantifiable. How the product feels in your hand, how the interface reacts to your actions, etc. These hard to quantify qualities can have a huge impact on our enjoyment of a product. And some people do in fact place a high value on these qualities. Just ask those mechanical keyboard geeks. They think that "tactility" is more important than real, listable features such as backlighting, media buttons, and built in LCD.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 04:06:45 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;191180
If microsoft completely redesigned windows from scratch like Apple did for OSX, then obviously it would be faster. I guess some people don't realize that.

That's largely self evident. Backwards compatibility and trying to keep a familiar interface design is what holds Windows back... the underlying Window NT design is relatively decent.

Versatile? Not really. Mac OS X has a lot of useful stuff (particularly in regards to the command line) that Windows either hides from the user, implements very badly, or does not implement at all. Windows 7 is a good OS if you're doing basic stuff, or only using applications that only work on Windows, but for any sort of technical or development stuff, it fails pretty hard compared with Unix systems.

I used to be a regular hurf-durfer in regards to Mac OS X, but now that I've had time to make proper use of the latest version I'm quite impressed by it... so much so that I intend to triple boot it on my Thinkpad =]
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2010, 04:12:12 by ch_123 »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 20:22:44 »
Quote from: ripster;193831
Miley has one.  Ya GOTTA get one now.

Great photo. Lightweight excuse for a coffee. Lightweight excuse for an actress. Lightweight excuse for a computer. A prime example of the vapid nature of modern society. I wonder how much she got paid for that advertising?

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 20:24:59 »
She's a zealot; they do it for free.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 20:28:01 »
I was going to say attention seeking ****. But it would be rude to talk about ripster that way! :drum:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 22:48:40 »
Go AAPL! Go AAPL!

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 10:41:30 »
Quote from: ripster;193990

For photo/video backup on the road I decided the iPad is not ready for primetime.

I think for stuff this heavy duty it'll be more practical to be going with a full featured laptop for the forseeable future. I'm sure tablets will be able to do it not too long from now, but it probably wouldn't be very practical to expect it as a primary function.

My Atom based ASUS Netbook is leaving me a little grumpy these days. It's light, it's easy on the hands as far as the keyboard goes, but it doesn't do anything else well. It sucks power, overheats, and takes forever to do anything.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 June 2010, 10:43:43 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 10:43:20 »
...who the hell lets a broken power connector decide when the device life is over?

Send the thing to me, I'll have it working in 3 1/2 minutes :)
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 05:38:26 »
Quote from: Apple
Yesterday Apple and its carrier partners took pre-orders for more than 600,000 of Apple’s new iPhone 4. It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated ...

Wow. This is fantastic news for Android! webwit says Android outsells the iPhone.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 10:55:19 »
I haven't seen sales figures but Android runs on a whole bunch of different products...it's possible that collectively all Android-running products outsell iPhones.

And so they should, it's a platform that can actually do stuff...
kishy.ca

Offline vyshane

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 03:58:10 »
Quote from: kishy;194681
I haven't seen sales figures but Android runs on a whole bunch of different products...it's possible that collectively all Android-running products outsell iPhones.

The iPhone market share is currently around 3 times bigger than Android. And that's not counting other iOS devices like the iPod Touch and the iPad.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 05:49:27 »

I've heard otherwise from people who've actually tried to develop proper stuff for it.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 21:09:56 »

Nonsense! What about BROWSING THE WEB [strike]on youtube [/strike], playing GAMES [strike]that suck and aren't even worth the $5[/strike], or doing SOCIAL THINGS like phoning, texting, or posting junk on facebook [strike] which is a serious waste of time [/strike].
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 10:19:39 »
Apple did a good job of leveraging iOS to get a serious first mover's advantage, then locking down the terms so devs have to put a significant investment in and are limited in how well they can port apps to other platforms.

If accepted competitors that function well come out, Apple's restrictive policies may come back to bite them in the rear. On the other hand, it could pay off in spades as people become very invested in iOS apps which raises the cost of switching (not only do you have to learn something new but you have to buy it).

I'll wait. For now I'm getting a Wi-Fi only nook. I can wait for the "do everything" content consumption devices to have more space, better battery life, etc. for cheaper.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:10:08 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;195338
Nonsense! What about BROWSING THE WEB [strike]on youtube [/strike], playing GAMES [strike]that suck and aren't even worth the $5[/strike], or doing SOCIAL THINGS like phoning, texting, or posting junk on facebook [strike] which is a serious waste of time [/strike].

Things could be worse. You could spend your days on a keyboard forum demonstrating your own stupidity at every step.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:13:35 by ch_123 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:16:43 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;195338
or doing SOCIAL THINGS like phoning, texting, or posting junk on facebook [strike] which is a serious waste of time [/strike].

'Cause actually having friends might suck.  It's good that you haven't seemed to make many here.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:27:23 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;194574
Physical activities aren't nearly as fun as computer games.

You're doin it wrong.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:30:42 »
Ha!  I need to change my nick right now.  There's no way I can compete with that.  Next time a hot, young woman asks me for a drink, I'll know to just kick the ***** in the shins and toss her the pretzel bowl.  That's how you get the ladies.

Women are great; I like women. Computers, not nearly as much.  That's why I don't hang around here on the weekends.  Being nice to women is a good idea, too.  It's not just for getting laid (although, it doesn't hurt).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:31:34 »
Quote from: didjamatic;195518
You're doin it wrong.

He's not doing it all, apparently.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:37:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;195519
Ha!  I need to change my nick right now.  There's no way I can compete with that.  Next time a hot, young woman asks me for a drink, I'll know to just kick the ***** in the shins and toss her the pretzel bowl.  That's how you get the ladies.

Let me guess, 'High standards' =P
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:48:47 by ch_123 »

Offline vyshane

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 21:58:56 »
I just watched a demo of a pre-alpha version of Meego. It's looking pretty slick, but I see lots of usability problems and poor UI decisions.

I will have to try this at some point.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 01:34:29 »
You never know, Intel has enough money to pull virtually anything off. Except Larrabee for some reason.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 10:44:13 »
I wonder why it's taking so long for there to be an iMac Touch... Perhaps there are technical and/or cost issues with large touchscreens? Then again, everyone and their mother is making touchscreen PCs, even Dell is offering them.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:20:05 »
Is that not an iPad?  I mean, I guess it wouldn't have as much functionality, but I don't think I would want to do "real" computing with a touchscreen.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:25:28 »
It would make a useful complement to the keyboard and mouse... I've tried out some touchscreen computers and they are pretty nifty for lightweight tasks.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 13:17:19 »
Quote from: ch_123;196278
Perhaps there are technical and/or cost issues with large touchscreens?

This article that was published the other day in CNET talks about this very topic you brought up:
How Microsoft foresaw--and still missed--the iPad
-

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 13:23:21 »
That's the thing about Apple - it's not that they came up with the idea, or make the best implementation, it's that they know how to make it sell...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 16:46:25 »
Quote from: ripster;196343
Also their touch screen implementation beats all the Androids.

Having played with both an iPod Touch and an HTC Dream, I disagree quite a bit.
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 16:50:52 »
I still mourn for losing the simplicity of the BlackBerry click wheel.
-