Author Topic: Northgate Omnikey 101 (Blue Alps Switches) Review  (Read 20303 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Northgate Omnikey 101 (Blue Alps Switches) Review
« on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 17:34:27 »

For more pictures, check out My Flickr Album

Do you remember that first time you touched your first mechanical keyboard? How it felt? And how it just drew you in? I feel like I just discovered Alps all over again with this Northgate. Is it wrong that I want to swoon and squee over this keyboard and these switches? I’m actually very sad that it’s now leaving my possession. I haven’t been this smitten with a keyboard since 2011 when I first touched my friend’s Filcos.

If you’ve read my other reviews before, I would first like to thank you for doing so. Second, I wanted to change up the format so this one won’t read like my other reviews.

My thoughts on the switch

As you all might know, I really like my Alps. Unfortunately, I haven’t had the chance to try out complicated Blue Alps until Akimbo’s tour came along. For me, Blue Alps definitely lived up to the hype. Since I don’t like comparing Alps switches to MX or other switch types, I’ll compare them to common boards with Alps. Two common boards that many GeekHackers could get a hold of are the Focus FK-2001 with complicated White Alps or Dell AT101W/SGI Granite with Complicated Black Alps. If you haven’t tried Alps, definitely get your hands on those. I wrote a review on the AT101W here.

Anyways, to me, complicated blue Alps feel like complicated White Alps if they weren’t as heavy. For some actual numbers, you can refer to the DT wiki which pulls the numbers from Alps.tw or from silencium’s chart (you’ll need to use Google Translate since it’s in Japanese). I prefer silencium’s chart since he has an average value. It verifies my thoughts that the Blue Alps are slightly lighter than the White Alps.

This switch is probably the only switch that I’ve used that feels equally clicky and tactile. It has a lovely bump but also a click to it. It’s a lighter switch compared to both the Black and White Alps but not nearly as light as say an MX Red. The return bounce is also very pleasant and springy.  It also feels a bit smoother than the Whites on my Chicony KB7001 or Ducky1087XM. And like most of the Alps I tried, it’s a bit wobbly. But I think that’s part of the charm of the switch.

I don’t have recording equipment but I do like these two videos which showcase the sound of Blue Alps:
  • Video from YouTube user Seongyeol Kim, typing on a Northgate Omnikey
    • More
  • Video from YouTube user ter Vin, typing on an unknown board with Blue Alps
    • More

My thoughts on the keyboard

This was the first keyboard I’ve seen that is both metal and plastic. The bottom half is cast metal, possibly steel. And the top half is probably PBT or some sort of plastic. This is verified on Northgate Keyboard Repair’s website. He advertises using a retr0brite-like process to whiten or repaired yellowed tops.  As with other metal cases, this leads to the board being completely still and solid feeling when you type. If you’ve ever typed on a Poker, Pure, or Poker 2 with the stock case versus a metal case, you’ll understand exactly what I mean. I also think this metal bottom helps to muffle the volume of the clicky-ness of the switches. According to this Northgate 1992 userguide (from the Bitsavers archive, which looks like a slightly different guide from the other ones that I’ve found, the weight is 4 lbs, 12 oz or 1.99 kg.

The Omnikey’s bezel contained a bunch of dipswitches. If you end up buying one of these keyboards and want to know what the dipswitches do, check out the manuals which is hosted on Lueck Data Systems or the manual I listed above from Bitsavers. The Lueck Data System manuals look like they’re from 1991 and older. I found this link on /r/mech. There is also this quick userguide from Nicolas Sebastien Dade. I just thought it was really cool that the creators took the time to make the keyboard compatible with multiple computers.

What I thought was odd that the connector in the back of the board is, I think, a PS/2 female port. Then the cable is PS/2 to DIN5 or AT. I suppose I’m saying this from my own modern point-of-view though. But for my own usage, it was odd to go from PS/2 to DIN5, then from to PS/2 to USB.  I did really like the 90 degree angled connector though. And the cable was really long and coiled, which is good for my own setup.

The board had a lovely beige color scheme like IBM keyboards. And the blue logo looked very nice on the trap door in the top left of the front bezel. This trap door hid the dipswitch. On the back of the keyboard, the foldout legs which propped the board up were extra wide, which I think would give it more stability.

The keycaps were doubleshot. I would say it was medium thickness and made from PBT. The control, shift, and alt keys were RGB on Grey. And there were other little touches like the lock keys having front printed caps and the escape key was red on grey. I don’t like solid RGB keycaps such as the ones that Tsangan shows in this thread. But I do like the RGB fonts a lot. To me the RGB caps clash but the RGB fonts blend nicer.

A random fun fact about the board is that when I toggled the lock keys (Caps, scroll, and number), my system would beep. I thought that was a cute touch.

Final Thoughts

I liked this keyboard so much that the first night, I tried to go on eBay to buy one. My experience with the keyboard was love at first touch. Normally I might complain about the layout, since it was full size, but I didn’t mind it at all. I would love to have this exact keyboard for use at work. I wish that this keyboard and these switches got more attention. Both deserve more love. I know I am in love. And shoutouts to Akimbo for running his tour. Also before I forget, since I do not own this keyboard, I did not take any disassembly pictures. If someone wants those pictures, I will happily hunt some down and post them here.

Edit: I should also add that AEK and AEKII's are pretty common as well.

Edit 2:

Even this particular board didn't come with blues. Akimbo's tour thread says it was modified to solder in the blues. Blue Alps are really tough to find, unfortunately.

It did not come with blues, like Techno said. I soldered in all the blue ALPs switches.

Some good boards to find blue alps switches in (note: many of these came with different switch types too):

-Chicony KB-5161 AT
-Leading Edge DC2014 (XT)
-Leading Edge DC3014
-Various Northgate keyboards (look for the gold label, not white/blue)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:20:51 by CPTBadAss »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Northgate Omnikey 101 (Blue Alps Switches) Review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 17:50:48 »
Excellent review, as always! I can't wait to get my hands on these switches...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 17:54:15 »
Did you remove the keylogger before you used it like I did?

JK  :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:01:09 »
Did you remove the keylogger before you used it like I did?

JK  :D

Damn you! Now digi will know that in my spare time, I just look at pictures of ice cream :(. And that my WPM is really low :( :(.

Excellent review, as always! I can't wait to get my hands on these switches...

They are wonderful and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :D

Please hate the switches and the keyboard so that I may obtain one more easily and cheaper :P.

Offline pasph

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:44:22 »
Some time ago i bought this kb only to predate his switches but after i tried it i just could not do it...
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline nappi11

• #finnsofgeekhack
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:01:05 »
Good review. The first mechanical keyboard I got is also using those very same switches, and I quite agree with you about your thoughts. In my case, it's hard to tell by words about my feelings from blue alps cm. They were the beginning for me, the start for everything. I've experienced much with those switches, and I would recommend them to almost everyone. They feel good, sound good and your imagination is the only limit for modding since they are easy to open and consists of many different parts.
Focus FK-747 A (Complicated Blue Alps) - Compaq RT 235BT (NMB Dome with slider) -  Irish Key Tronic (Rubber dome) - Ducky Mini (Cherry MX Blue) - Dell AT102W (Complicated Black Alps)

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 21:48:28 »
As an owner of three Northgate boards (even tho none with blue Alps), I'm delighted to see someone else feeling the love that these boards deserve.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Martyn.T.Howells

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:54:44 »
very interesting review  :p 
Steelseries 6gv2 MX Black   Filco Majestouch2 TKL MX Blue   Poker II MX Red   HHKB PRO 2

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:25:49 »
Well this board sounds pretty much amazing. Too bad it's impossible to find a board with these switches?
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:29:54 »
Well this board sounds pretty much amazing. Too bad it's impossible to find a board with these switches?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111258668746

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111258671162
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:33:02 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111258668746

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111258671162

I saw those but how do I know the switch type? >_<

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:41:21 »
Maybe I was assuming all Northgate OmniKey with this part number have blue Alps switches...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:48:14 »
Yeah this wiki entry says some of these boards come with blue: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_Blue

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:25:13 »
Even this particular board didn't come with blues. Akimbo's tour thread says it was modified to solder in the blues. Blue Alps are really tough to find, unfortunately.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:19:45 »

It did not come with blues, like Techno said. I soldered in all the blue ALPs switches.

Some good boards to find blue alps switches in (note: many of these came with different switch types too):

-Chicony KB-5161 AT
-Leading Edge DC2014 (XT)
-Leading Edge DC3014
-Various Northgate keyboards (look for the gold label, not white/blue)
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:20:21 »
I should have made that clearer in the review. I'll edit the OP now.

Offline harryM

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 15:00:38 »
I am curious as to why the OP chose to replace the keys with blue ALPS? AFAIK white ALPS, especially in the OmniKeys are amazing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 16:39:00 »
I am curious as to why the OP chose to replace the keys with blue ALPS? AFAIK white ALPS, especially in the OmniKeys are amazing.

I didn't replace them. AKIMbO did. I assume it's because the Omnikey cases are great but he really likes Blue Alps.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 17:33:53 »

They weren't the nice white alps that vary by blue alps only in color.  They were some crappy, heavy kind.  The blue alps in the Omnikey are awesome and light.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Special K

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 19:14:11 »

They weren't the nice white alps that vary by blue alps only in color.  They were some crappy, heavy kind.  The blue alps in the Omnikey are awesome and light.

Do different Northgate Omnikeys use different types of white alps?  The DT wiki says they all use Alps SKCM White:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Northgate_OmniKey_101
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 19:47:46 »
Do different Northgate Omnikeys use different types of white alps?  The DT wiki says they all use Alps SKCM White:

Yes but did you read the SKCM White page on the variants?.

Offline Special K

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 21:49:16 »

Yes but did you read the SKCM White page on the variants?.

Thanks, I missed that section.  From what I can tell, buying any Omnikey 101 will be a crapshoot unless you can get a very close up shot of the switches.  Even then that doesn't necessarily guarantee you are getting a board with "smooth" switches.  Is there any way to know which of those variants is/are the "smooth" one/ones?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 February 2015, 22:43:15 by Special K »
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 09:46:47 »
Is there any way to know which of those variants is/are the "smooth" one/ones?

buying any Omnikey 101 will be a crapshoot unless you can get a very close up shot of the switches.

You answered your own question . Welcome to the buying Alps. It can be very confusing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 09:54:36 »

Even then that doesn't necessarily guarantee you are getting a board with "smooth" switches. 

If he can solder, any Alps lover should buy one of these magnificent boards, and transplant his favorite style into it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 10:00:31 »
Agreed. Omnikey is definitely a great board for your favorite Alps switch.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 10:29:54 »
Agreed. Omnikey is definitely a great board for your favorite Alps switch.
Oh yeah, hope I can get one of these one day :D . Sadly, they seem to be very expensive. A 102 with Blues in it is definitely just about my ultimate dream keyboard :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews: