Author Topic: vun's mega mouse writeup  (Read 39421 times)

Offline Sniping

Re: vun's mega mouse writeup
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 19:40:21 »
Steelseries annouced a new mouse called the Rival, it looks like it has the infamous IME 3.0/DA shape, mind taking a look at it? Looks like there's mouse accel though.
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-rival
The sensor is optical so there should be no hw accel.

And yeah, I will take a look at it, although I doubt it'll be around release as my collection is large enough already so I'm trying to keep mouse purchases down, but this defo moved high up on my list of mice to get down the line.

Oh god, I'm so out of it today.

I read "50Gs of Acceleration" at the bottom of the page. heh

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 02:25:12 »
Just thought I'd mention the newer Mad Catz / Cyborg R.A.T. 3's have an optical 3500DPI sensor.

I know I am biased towards this particular rodent since it suits me so well, but thought it worth saying here in case others find it suits them, too  :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 06:49:45 »
Just got my hands on the Spawn, which vun has endorsed. I've gotta say that it feels AMAZING in hand. It feels great to hold, it has an 1800 DPI setting which I like, it has 5 buttons, and is pretty cheap. I'm a huge fan. I got to try this mouse out at mkawa's place so shoutouts to him and vun for recommending it to me! :D

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:13:17 »
Well, Razer just released a CLG edition DA2013, same as the regular DA2013 but with CLG colours. Not a bad look either, tbh.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 18:22:36 »
Well, Razer just released a CLG edition DA2013, same as the regular DA2013 but with CLG colours. Not a bad look either, tbh.

Black & White...?    I thought CLG colours where Light blue and a Blue shade, which Razer had shown on their website for more than a year now?

Is this Razer stuffing up again, which is not unusual at all  :thumb: ?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 18:40:17 »

Black & White...?    I thought CLG colours where Light blue and a Blue shade, which Razer had shown on their website for more than a year now?

Is this Razer stuffing up again, which is not unusual at all  :thumb: ?

Well, there's no blue on the mouse, but there's plenty of blue on the box and all the marketing imagery, which I think is a much better approach, because the old CLG DA was blue and that looked like **** whereas this one is actually fairly elegant.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:04:08 »
Well, there's no blue on the mouse, but there's plenty of blue on the box and all the marketing imagery, which I think is a much better approach, because the old CLG DA was blue and that looked like **** whereas this one is actually fairly elegant.

So CLG has changed their colouration now?  So you think Razer wants to look classy, may be so, but the class comes with quality and no one has got that current CLG model to confirm or deny anything about that.

I suppose some Razer fan will start glorifying it soon enough.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:52:52 »

So CLG has changed their colouration now?  So you think Razer wants to look classy, may be so, but the class comes with quality and no one has got that current CLG model to confirm or deny anything about that.

I expect the CLG model to be the same as the regular DA model, but with a different logo and different coloured plastic on some parts. Might be slightly cheaper, the marketing I've seen so far has no mention of the logo, but if it's just printed on and not lit up by and LED I would expect it to be cheaper(or not because it has speshul branding hurr). I do expect the logo to be backlit though.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 20:23:52 »

I expect the CLG model to be the same as the regular DA model, but with a different logo and different coloured plastic on some parts. Might be slightly cheaper, the marketing I've seen so far has no mention of the logo, but if it's just printed on and not lit up by and LED I would expect it to be cheaper(or not because it has speshul branding hurr). I do expect the logo to be backlit though.

I think the CLG DA looks pretty good. I'm no Razer fan, but it looks good.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 23:54:24 »
Ooooo definitely will be picking up the Rival. I'm trying to trim my collection down to just optical mice, and this and an FK oughtta be just enough to round me out

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 00:10:02 »
Ooooo definitely will be picking up the Rival. I'm trying to trim my collection down to just optical mice, and this and an FK oughtta be just enough to round me out

Just paid up (pre-order) for the Rival as well.  They said it was due out today, the 8th of November - from the International Store Site.  Can't wait to get it soon because this will be my FIRST SteelSeries purchase.  I hope it's not going to be another Razer-like failure.

Never cut back on mice daerid, you need all of them as remembrance to hash buys and stupid choices (especially at my end).

Offline Emospence

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 01:45:25 »

Still haven't gotten around to getting an FK? :p
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:58:28 »
The FK is is halfway through it's life cycle!
Wait for a refresh!
(I'm kidding).

Offline calavera

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:10:13 »
Great review!

For me the top priority when it comes to mice is ergonomics and overall size. I love the Logitech G9/G9x. The only gripe I have with that mouse is that the middle mouse click is too stiff. CM Spawn is my absolute favorite. Was considering a Razor Orochi for my next purchase because of the size I'm comfortable with.

Can you take a picture of all the mice lined up from top view for overall size comparison?
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:21:04 by calavera »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 03:42:18 »

Can you take a picture of all the mice lined up from top view for overall size comparison?

I may do that the next time I have them out of their drawer, although the Xornet, Abyssus, Krait and Kinzu are the small ones, the rest are pretty much all fairly large and about the same general size. And then there's the G9x being 3 sizes at once.

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 16:01:08 »
Great write up, enjoyed it, thank you :)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 13:22:49 »
The Logitech G400 has been discontinued in favor of G400S which has more treatment and no longer a perfect sensor I believe.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 13:45:11 »
The Logitech G400 has been discontinued in favor of G400S which has more treatment and no longer a perfect sensor I believe.

Afaik the sensor is still "flawless", but it has a higher dpi limit.
I would like to replace my G400 with the S, since mine is an earlier model with angle snapping, but I've decided to cut down on mice atm since I've got enough now. Right now I'd have to sell my current G400 to justify replacing it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 17:05:34 »
I would like to replace my G400 with the S, since mine is an earlier model with angle snapping, but I've decided to cut down on mice atm since I've got enough now. Right now I'd have to sell my current G400 to justify replacing it.

What is this we're all hearing, the Mouse Expert cutting back on extra mice?  Shock and dismay we are at knowing this now  :o .  Never cut back on owning MORE rodents because they are small and innocuous and they don't seem to breed all that much..... despite me encouraging them to do so.

Besides you can always own far more mice than keyboards and they take up far less space than almost every other PC device.

Offline ctbear

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 20:03:50 »
Are there any genuine IE3.0 for sale? I've seen some on ebay for around ~$20-30 but not sure if they are legit.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 05:46:01 »
Are there any genuine IE3.0 for sale? I've seen some on ebay for around ~$20-30 but not sure if they are legit.

Yeah, some places still sell them, dunno about ones on ebay, but I have managed to find trusted sources for some here in Norway. Although you mentioned you didn't like the shape of the DA; the IME 3.0 is what they based the DA on, so the shape is nearly identical.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 15:45:07 »

Never cut back on owning MORE rodents because they are small and innocuous and they don't seem to breed all that much..... despite me encouraging them to do so.

Besides you can always own far more mice than keyboards and they take up far less space than almost every other PC device.

Christmas is a great time to sell rodents or give them away/donate!
 :p
BRB opening amazon seller central.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 10:48:44 »
I just got myself an MX Revolution for 14$ shipped. It is the one from the auctionI mentioned vun. Sorry, but I will be gutting this rodent despite your animal rights protests.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:32:57 »
I just got myself an MX Revolution for 14$ shipped. It is the one from the auctionI mentioned vun. Sorry, but I will be gutting this rodent despite your animal rights protests.

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 02:15:52 »
Hey vun! Great thread. I enjoyed reading your reviews in the first page.

Currently - I am using Logitech's G500s as my daily driver. It doesn't have any sort of problems aside from its stiff braided cable - which I am worried that it might get broken and have some loose connection. On the LGS - I sometimes get confuse if I am currently using the on-board memory or the save profiles in my PC.

I'm hoping for more mouse reviews from you. I have also noticed that you have a fairly huge collection of mice - including the IME3.0.

Great work  :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 02:21:12 »
I have also noticed that you have a fairly huge collection of mice - including the IME3.0.

The IME3.0 is the founding father for most mice here.  Better yet get the current cousin, twice removed...... Zowie EC eVo CL1 - it just rocks with updated internal hardware and a surface coating to die for  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 December 2013, 05:36:45 by Elrick »

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 02:24:12 »
The IME3.0 is the founder father for most mice here.
I second that. It changed the mouse layout with the scroll wheel in the middle of left and right mouse buttons. Legendary - I must say.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 11:06:33 »
I second that. It changed the mouse layout with the scroll wheel in the middle of left and right mouse buttons. Legendary - I must say.

That was the WMO I believe, not the IME 3.0

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 11:46:25 »
More

My bad. I thought it was this http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/18/3155619/microsoft-intellimouse-status-symbols. The chassis is really similar.  :D

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 16:22:21 »
I used to own some of those old-school Microsoft mice. Sorry to ruffle some people's jimmies, but I was never a fan of them. =P Back then I used to be all about the Logitech products:

The second blue mouse with the curves was my absolute favorite, back at around year 2000. Mice in that general shape still exist today, in the Logitech M500 and (very roughly) the G700s, and I still maintain that that's the most comfortable mouse shape. But I don't use the M500 and/or G700s for various reasons (I have a G700s sitting in my storage box, but I don't use it because it uses a laser sensor, and has a terrible battery life that requires me to plug it in to charge every other day).

It's sad, because I used to love Logitech products. Not anymore, though. Their mice still have top-notch build quality, but there's nothing in their line-up that I really want to use, (hopefully) yet. I might consider the G602, but I don't want to take a risk on its shape, and I don't want to deal with the extra added weight of the batteries again (like I did with the G700s - I know it's possible to use just one battery on the G602, but that was the same on G700s, and it was still too much). The G400s is perfect for me, feature-wise, but I once had a G7 (laser wireless mouse in the shape of the MX518/G400/G400s line), and I'm no longer a fan of its shape.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 December 2013, 16:31:38 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 16:31:14 »
I used to own some of those old-school Microsoft mice. Sorry to ruffle some people's jimmies, but I was never a fan of them. =P Back then I used to be all about the Logitech products:

Show Image

Show Image

The second blue mouse with the curves was my absolute favorite, back at around year 2000. Mice in that general shape still exist today, in the Logitech M500 and (very roughly) the G700s, and I still maintain that that's the most comfortable mouse shape. But I don't use the M500 and/or G700s for various reasons (I have a G700s sitting in my storage box, but I don't use it because it uses a laser sensor, and has a terrible battery life that requires me to plug it in to charge every other day).

It's sad, because I used to love Logitech products. Not anymore, though. Their mice still have top-notch build quality, but there's nothing in their line-up that I really want to use, (hopefully) yet. I might consider the G602, but I don't want to take a risk on its shape, and I don't want to deal with the extra added weight of the batteries again (like I did with the G700s - I know it's possible to use just one battery on the G602, but that was the same on G700s, and it was still too much). The G400s is perfect for me, feature-wise, but I once had a G7 (laser wireless mouse in the shape of the MX518/G400/G400s line), and I'm no longer a fan of its shape.

Why keep the mouse in storage if you will never use it again? Why don't you sell it or give it away?

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 16:32:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Why keep the mouse in storage if you will never use it again? Why don't you sell it or give it away?

That's a good point. I just assumed no one would ever buy it. =P I also lost the box, so packing it up to ship would be a hassle. I suppose I could try craigslist, though.

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 16:34:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

That's a good point. I just assumed no one would ever buy it. =P I also lost the box, so packing it up to ship would be a hassle. I suppose I could try craigslist, though.

You can just put it in a box with some packaging peanuts and bubble wrap. Logitech's build quality is good enough that it probably won't get damaged in shipping as long as there is some cushioning.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:19:59 »

No the WMO (ambidextrous) was his older brother (evil uncle), the IME 3.0 (Right Handed ONLY) is the one that has stood the test of time because a vast number of other companies have copied it directly, which is what I'm referring to (the one I love such as Zowie EC1 eVo CL).

It's like the Origin of Species, the closest related one that bears resemblance to the current size and shape is commonly referred to as the "Father".  So over a progression of time the Right-Handers will always recognize the IME3.0.

If you want to be very specific than all of us today who are using a computer mouse owe our thanks to Douglas Englebart, who created a wooded shaped box that started this whole development towards the input devices we enjoy today - he created the great, great, great, great, grand father of all input devices.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 00:45:43 »

No the WMO (ambidextrous) was his older brother (evil uncle), the IME 3.0 (Right Handed ONLY) is the one that has stood the test of time because a vast number of other companies have copied it directly, which is what I'm referring to (the one I love such as Zowie EC1 eVo CL).

It's like the Origin of Species, the closest related one that bears resemblance to the current size and shape is commonly referred to as the "Father".  So over a progression of time the Right-Handers will always recognize the IME3.0.

If you want to be very specific than all of us today who are using a computer mouse owe our thanks to Douglas Englebart, who created a wooded shaped box that started this whole development towards the input devices we enjoy today - he created the great, great, great, great, grand father of all input devices.

I was replying to cinnamoncider's post, pointing out that the IME 3.0 did not introduce the now common layout seen on most mice.
The IME 3.0 is indeed the basis for quite a few mice, although I'd say that there are more mice that closely resemble Microsoft's ambidextrous design than the IME 3.0 on the market now.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 01:40:11 »
I have to agree with vun on this one. The Steel Series Sensei, Kinzu, Kana, and Zowie AM and FK are all (seemingly) based on the old Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical design.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:48:06 »
I have to agree with vun on this one. The Steel Series Sensei, Kinzu, Kana, and Zowie AM and FK are all (seemingly) based on the old Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical design.

But not the Zowie EC1, EC2 eVo range, Logitech's range, Mionix 3200, 5000, 8200, DA2013, Naga, Mamba, ROCCAT Kone range, Saitek Cyborg RAT's, SteelSeries Rival, Ikari and heaps more that were made in the last few years.

Because I'm right handed, these remain the single most popular input devices in the world and all owe their development to the IME3.0 :thumb: .  Even before the IME3.0 was released with it's optical led sensor, right handed ergonomics started to feature heavily within Logitech's ball mice, which just progressed as time went by.

I still have the original (perfectly designed) IntelliMouse Pro Serial ball mouse (Made in Mexico) working nicely on a PS/2 equipped PC.  IME3.0 owes a little of it's current shape to this little baby and you can see why they had perfected ergonomics easily - right back during the Win 95/98 days.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:49:59 by Elrick »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 04:22:24 »
But not the Zowie EC1, EC2 eVo range, Logitech's range, Mionix 3200, 5000, 8200, DA2013, Naga, Mamba, ROCCAT Kone range, Saitek Cyborg RAT's, SteelSeries Rival, Ikari and heaps more that were made in the last few years.

Eh... I would disagree that a good chunk of those above mice are any adaptations whatsoever of the IME3.0. Just because it's right-handed, doesn't necessarily mean it's a derivative of the IME3.0 shape. But, I guess that's just a matter of opinion.

Like, the Naos, G400, G700, RAT, Naga, Roccat Kone, Rival, and Ikari? I'm pretty sure they are not derivatives of the IME3.0. That just leaves the Zowie EC1/EC2, and the Deathadder/Mamba as adaptations of the IME3.0. But that's just to my eyes.

And, yes indeed, there were right-handed mice before the IME3.0, like the IntelliMouse Pro you mentioned, and the Logitech Mouseman (the triangular one that I posted in one of my previous posts), but doesn't that mean the IME3.0 ISN'T necessarily the "founding" right-handed mouse?

It's absolutely possible that the Naos, G400, G700, RAT, Naga, Roccat Kone, Rival, and Ikari were developed from scratch, without any influence whatsoever of the IME3.0, given that there were other right-handed mice before the IME.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 04:26:16 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:19:32 »
And, yes indeed, there were right-handed mice before the IME3.0, like the IntelliMouse Pro you mentioned, and the Logitech Mouseman (the triangular one that I posted in one of my previous posts), but doesn't that mean the IME3.0 ISN'T necessarily the "founding" right-handed mouse?

That was my fault for not mentioning that the IME3.0 was the founding father not only because of it's shape but also of it's use of an optical led sensor which most mice commonly use now.  The previous mice with brilliant ergonomics (far better than most sold today) had the old mechanical ball which had a low rated dpi specs which was fine with windows 95 and 98SE.  These were the days before Gaming had started to progress and 15inch CRT screens were common, hence highly sensitive sensors were not on the agenda but this was were hardware started to evolve at a frenetic pace.

It's absolutely possible that the Naos, G400, G700, RAT, Naga, Roccat Kone, Rival, and Ikari were developed from scratch, without any influence whatsoever of the IME3.0, given that there were other right-handed mice before the IME.

It's like saying that if the IME3.0 never was presented that everything would still exist unchanged, maybe so.  Timelines are delicate even though I don't have a time machine to test that theory of removing something from history to see it's effect now, you have to imagine what would happen in the animal world if the dinosaurs never existed, then as time passes birds developed to occupy a new niche in this world.  The birds couldn't exist without their valuable ancestors, being the dinosaurs (sorry to offend anyone here because I do know how some US citizens view the world only from the Christian Bible).

Everything evolves and develops to occupy a new niche that was previously unavailable, but over time you will have descendents presenting themselves in a new environment all due to having a common ancestry.

In the world of technology everything is copied and re-copied to sell to a market place hungry for new toys, that is why we exist here on Geekhack, always looking for new toys to play with  ;) .
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:46:10 by Elrick »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:32:49 »
Yea... I don't know, though. I still don't see the Naos, G400, G700, RAT, Naga, Roccat Kone, Rival, and Ikari as "descendants" of the IME3.0, but again, I guess it's a matter of opinion.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 11:46:51 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:50:29 »
Just a heads-up:

The IntelliMouse range of mice may have inspired several mouse designs, although the IME 3.0 itself was actually released after the MX518 from what I can gleam from a quick search.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 18:36:43 »
I bought a cm spawn today cause my mx revo finally gave out after a few years.

For 30 bucks I am happy. Thanks for the writeups.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 21:17:34 »
Got a Func MS-3 from the recent Massdrop for it, will add that as soon as I can be bothered putting my thoughts into proper words and taking pics of it.

Short version is; for $30 it's probably the best mouse deal I've ever gotten.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 13:29:19 »
Since you seem to be one of our resident mouse experts, and I don't see much point in making my own thread...
I think it's getting time for me to finally retire my MX Revolution. It's still my favorite mouse of all time, but I am getting more and more frustrated gaming with it's low dpi since moving up to 1440p.
Some mice that I am considering presently... most obvious direct replacement I guess is the G700, and also the CM Reaper has caught my eye but seems to be kind of hard to find anywhere in retail, the Func MS3 looks very interesting but I am a bit worried about the radical finger shelf and the sheer width of the thing.
The three most important things I am after matching up as similarly as possible to the Revo are the general shape and size since it's so super comfortable for palm grip, similar amount of buttons and placement, and the weight. I would also prefer a mouse that has a more 'dumb' sensor in that it doesn't try to do a bunch of predictive and try and outsmart me on where I am attempting to move to. Wireless is also an important feature, but it must either have a very good battery life, or use some form that is easily to replace like upgrading it to a high capacity eneloop AA. Another bonus is that it is relatively easy to open so I can install other switches so I don't need to be too fussy about what it comes with. If it's easy to open I can add weight as well if it's absolutely necessary to make it 'perfect'.
Anything else I should be looking at? Perhaps I have missed some more obscure brands/models that may be a great fit? I am severely out of touch with mice since I have been content with the Revo for so many years and have essentially ignored all other mice.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 16:00:31 »
Since you seem to be one of our resident mouse experts, and I don't see much point in making my own thread...
I think it's getting time for me to finally retire my MX Revolution. It's still my favorite mouse of all time, but I am getting more and more frustrated gaming with it's low dpi since moving up to 1440p.
Some mice that I am considering presently... most obvious direct replacement I guess is the G700, and also the CM Reaper has caught my eye but seems to be kind of hard to find anywhere in retail, the Func MS3 looks very interesting but I am a bit worried about the radical finger shelf and the sheer width of the thing.
The three most important things I am after matching up as similarly as possible to the Revo are the general shape and size since it's so super comfortable for palm grip, similar amount of buttons and placement, and the weight. I would also prefer a mouse that has a more 'dumb' sensor in that it doesn't try to do a bunch of predictive and try and outsmart me on where I am attempting to move to. Wireless is also an important feature, but it must either have a very good battery life, or use some form that is easily to replace like upgrading it to a high capacity eneloop AA. Another bonus is that it is relatively easy to open so I can install other switches so I don't need to be too fussy about what it comes with. If it's easy to open I can add weight as well if it's absolutely necessary to make it 'perfect'.
Anything else I should be looking at? Perhaps I have missed some more obscure brands/models that may be a great fit? I am severely out of touch with mice since I have been content with the Revo for so many years and have essentially ignored all other mice.

The G700 is probably a good upgrade from the Revo, although as I said; the weight distribution and sensor placement are both pretty annoying, so might not be the best for gaming. It's also a gaming mouse, meaning the battery probably won't last as long as in a mouse designed for office use.

I can't really recommend any other wireless mice, since the only ones I've used other than the G700s are the Mamba and Ouroboros, and while I do like the Ouroboros, they're both flawed as all hell and not really worth the money.

I am curious about the G602 though, I'd give that a look if you get the opportunity. Ask if you can hold one in a store or something.

If we're talking wired, the Func MS-3 probably isn't a bad choice shape-wise, and the buttons are pretty nice as well. Weight might be an issue though, and I'm not sure how easy it'd be to open it and tinker inside it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 16:29:50 »
G602 might be a candidate... While I prefer wireless, it's not a 100% must. Wired is OK as long as the cable isn't mega stiff or have severe drag. Grip comfort is always going to be one of the most important things for me, and will trump some other desired features. Thats also the biggest problem for me trying to find the right new mouse. As far as trying them out it is very hard. Locally I only have a couple big box stores like Best Buy, Staples, OfficeMax and the like, which have dire selection and mostly ****ty mini travel/laptop kind of mice. Pretty much all my friends use things like ambidextrous Razer, Steelseries stuff or also are MX Revo/Performance users... so not much luck there either.

I still have no idea why Logitech can't release MX Revolution 2... all they would need to do is slap a better more recent sensor with higher DPI and add a quick charge USB port instead of the bad dock charging system and watch them fly out of the factory.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2014, 16:33:55 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 17:19:32 »
I am curious about the G602 though, I'd give that a look if you get the opportunity. Ask if you can hold one in a store or something.

The G602 is pretty cheap compared to a current G700S (only about $12AUD difference here) hence worth buying.  The ONLY downside about trying a mouse in your hand concept, you could be holding a lump of granite and it will feel okay.  You need to sit down at a desk, rest your mouse arm appropriately then move that input device all over the place for a few minutes.  That way you'll know if it's right for you.

A pity all Retailers don't have chairs and desks available for you to try out a mouse (or keyboard just for basic ergonomic testing) in store.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:34:22 »

The ONLY downside about trying a mouse in your hand concept, you could be holding a lump of granite and it will feel okay.  You need to sit down at a desk, rest your mouse arm appropriately then move that input device all over the place for a few minutes.  That way you'll know if it's right for you.

A pity all Retailers don't have chairs and desks available for you to try out a mouse (or keyboard just for basic ergonomic testing) in store.

+1

Offline AndrePews

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 10:54:48 »
I've read somewhere that the Cm Storm Xornet has pretty bad negative accel, you might want to add that in!

I'll look for the source...

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 14:10:09 »
I love my Logitech G602, it's so comfortable and ergonomic.