Author Topic: King's Assembly: It's a mouse! It's a split keyboard! It's packing Cherry MLs!  (Read 11389 times)

Offline NamelessPFG

Kickstarter page

I didn't find any threads on this here, so I might as well start one here...in the Input Devices subforum, because it's kinda category-defying, really.

It's like someone split up one of those Kinesis/Maltron sculpted ergonomic boards, put mouse sensors under them, and put some analog thumbsticks on the side ala the Logitech G13 (and if you'll count digital D-pads instead, the Nostromo lineup and the Orbweaver).

I doubt they'll outright displace my Model M and G500, but I'd sure like to give it a shot because I certainly need the extra desk space.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
inspiring the split keyboard :p
where the backspace,space,enter,etc? :)
the improvement of this is i think
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/an-other-diy-keyboard-project-t4560.html
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:46:49 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Findecanor

I'm not a big fan of Cherry ML. They feel like scratchy scissor switches. They were probably chosen because it was easier to prototype with them.
I'm not a big fan of matrix layout either, which this is - it is not adapted for different fingers being different like the Kinesis, symmetric stagger (yes it is) and in some way the ErgoDox.
Still, the concept of having two separate keyboards with built-in joystick, wrist rest and pointing device is a great one. I have also made prototypes on similar lines.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
I'm not a big fan of Cherry ML. They feel like scratchy scissor switches. They were probably chosen because it was easier to prototype with them.
I'm not a big fan of matrix layout either, which this is - it is not adapted for different fingers being different like the Kinesis, symmetric stagger (yes it is) and in some way the ErgoDox.
Still, the concept of having two separate keyboards with built-in joystick, wrist rest and pointing device is a great one. I have also made prototypes on similar lines.
i think so,symm sgg still better :p
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline thesentinel

Personally, it wouldn't work for my desk because that thing is too.. tall
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline NamelessPFG

I don't recall ever saying this inspired the split keyboard, but I honestly haven't seen many options in that field that weren't rare IBM Model M15s or ErgoDoxes, not counting custom-modded products like split Kinesis boards.

Cherry MLs don't have a good reputation here, but since I haven't tried them out like most switches, I'm willing to give it a chance. Can't be any worse than a linear MX or ALPS switch for my tastes, I'm sure. (But I will admit, one of the big draws of the ErgoDox to me, price be damned, is that it's one of the few boards you can order with Cherry MX Clears. Figures that the MX switch type I like best is also by far the rarest.)

Offline PointyFox

That looks horrendously unergonomic. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Ewwww. No way.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
I don't recall ever saying this inspired the split keyboard, but I honestly haven't seen many options in that field that weren't rare IBM Model M15s or ErgoDoxes, not counting custom-modded products like split Kinesis boards.

Cherry MLs don't have a good reputation here, but since I haven't tried them out like most switches, I'm willing to give it a chance. Can't be any worse than a linear MX or ALPS switch for my tastes, I'm sure. (But I will admit, one of the big draws of the ErgoDox to me, price be damned, is that it's one of the few boards you can order with Cherry MX Clears. Figures that the MX switch type I like best is also by far the rarest.)

Where are you going to source the switches?

Offline kod

Man, those things are WAY too tall.  Even in the kickstarter video you can see him angling his forearms upward and bending his wrists at a weird angle.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Who am I kidding, this thing looks f**king fantastic. I love out of the box ideas like this.

Offline Nzen

• Nzen: Blogs
Re: King's Assembly
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 23:05:34 »
Man, those things are WAY too tall.  Even in the kickstarter video you can see him angling his forearms upward and bending his wrists at a weird angle.

To be fair, a desk for this device should be lowered. A glass pane just above his knees would about do it. Unless you have an adjustable standing desk.

Unfortunately for them, I've blown my budget for an Ergodox (and if I'd been a bit more patient I'd be waiting for Acidfire's variant). Nevertheless, kicked in to watch the show.

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
That looks horrendously unergonomic. 
I thought the same thing.  I don't know where to begin with this thing...

Offline fuzzybaffy

That looks like absolute dog ****e for gaming.

Offline NamelessPFG

Where are you going to source the switches?
I recall the ErgoDox kits on Massdrop having MX Clears as an option for the switches the first time I saw it there. That was months ago, though.

Speaking of which, updates on the Kickstarter page suggest that the MLs might get replaced with MXs, which would be a most welcome change.

It did set in, however, that only 30 keys for your fingers per device will be severely crippling for most keyboard layouts. 40 keys, an extra column's worth for the pinky finger side, would help greatly. Sure, you could shift/layer/etc., but that'll make the learning curve more difficult when coming from conventional keyboards.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Sigh... another unergonomic badly thought out novelty.... The "mouse" will be slow to move around, considering it's also half your keyboard. The halves will move around as you "type". Key positions are unnatural and most likely uncomfortable. It's too high and not tented so your wrists and shoulders will suffer. The "palm" rest extends onto the wrist area, so you'll get compressed veins and tendons. The thumb controls are in a very awkward position. The keys are not staggered or at different heights for each finger. Key switches are ML - yuck.... I could go on.

Unfortunately for them, I've blown my budget for an Ergodox (and if I'd been a bit more patient I'd be waiting for Acidfire's variant). Nevertheless, kicked in to watch the show.

You've done the right thing. An ErgoDox or Nexus and decent mouse would trump this setup by FAR. If you want a mouse with a bunch of keys, get a Logitech G600. If you don't need so many, find one with a decent sensor that suits your hand shape and grip.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline gameaholic

King's Assembly kickstarter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 11:19:14 »
Anyone check this out yet?  I like the idea but I don't think it would do well in a FPS since it seems like it would be too heavy. 

http://www.maximumpc.com/kings_assembly_peripheral_consolidates_mouse_keyboard_and_joystick_2014

Mod Edit: Merged  8)
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 February 2014, 13:29:20 by jwaz »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline johndavis33

Re: King's Assembly kickstarter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 12:08:23 »
Looks neat. If they make it with mx switches, I'd get one with greens or whites. Seems like they'd need to mess with the design to fit full mx switches in there, though.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: King's Assembly kickstarter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 12:19:09 »
Looks neat. If they make it with mx switches, I'd get one with greens or whites. Seems like they'd need to mess with the design to fit full mx switches in there, though.

All keys use Cherry ML mechanical keyboard switches (we are investigating using Cherry MX switches - see comments)
I initially wanted to use Cherry MX switches, but they wouldn't quite fit on the smaller finger keyboard that we designed, and they were a little heavier, which I thought would reduce the speed and accuracy of moving it as a mouse. So I went with the MLs, which are lighter and smaller than the MX's but still have better characteristics over rubber-domes and the like, in terms of tactile feedback, stability, longevity, etc. We re-measured our finger board PCBs, and it seems like we might be able to fit Cherry MX's, although it's a really tight fit. The MX switches are also taller (18.5mm vs ML's 9.6mm), which will raise the devices up a smidge more off the table. However, something really great happened recently. The palm rest contour turned out so good that I had way more control than I thought I would. With teflon feet on the bottom of the devices, I have no trouble moving them around quickly and accurately on pretty much any surface, and weight is not an issue at all. Therefore, I think it's time to revisit using Cherry MXs! Especially considering how enthusiastic people are about the MXs (me included), and how much support this project has received in such a short time (You guys are AWESOME!!!)! No promises, but it's worth a shot! I'll keep you posted on results or snags.

I'm intrigued... not sure if I'm $220 intrigued though. I really want to try this out in person.

I wonder if pointing him in the direction of SP for keycaps would prove helpful?
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 February 2014, 12:22:46 by jwaz »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
I would buy one of these for $120 maybe, but I probably wouldn't use it. It would just be cool to own. If it had a trackball instead of a joystick and got rid of the mouse functionality I would like it a lot more though.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
I'm also concerned about the AVAGO 9800... It's not really a choice that makes enthusiasts happy and I'm also concerned about how they'll tweak it, the lens used, if there will be firmware updates to enhance it over time (since I bet the first firmware won't be all that good)... There are some companies that managed to screw it up quite badly (CM on CM Storm Mizar, Logitech on GXXXs mice with the old firmware) and I wish they won't be one of those.

I know probably the main reason for using laser sensors is just because this thing won't be used with a mousepad, but anyways, I hope they can manage not to screw it up because of it.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
This would be much more compelling if it used an IR optical sensor instead of a laser.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
I just want to note that Cherry MLs become smooth ('scratchy' when new) after a break-in period of ~1-2 months. They're good switches, at the very least, better than people give them credit for here. I like to think of them as short-throw Brown switches. This is an interesting project and certainly helps bring about more awareness and interest in ergonomic keyboards. Hopefully more ergonomic projects like this will come about in the near future.

Offline blackbox

Cool concept but I think that the height is the biggest problem of this device(as stated in the quote)
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline wasabah

I really like the idea, but as you guys said: it's just too tall.

Btw, they upgraded to Cherry MX now.

Still, I'll wait until after the Kickstarter.
If it's a success, they'll hopefully sell more or make a business out of it.
Then I can still get one if it's worth it. ;)
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline blackbox

I really like the idea, but as you guys said: it's just too tall.

Btw, they upgraded to Cherry MX now.

Still, I'll wait until after the Kickstarter.
If it's a success, they'll hopefully sell more or make a business out of it.
Then I can still get one if it's worth it. ;)

Good that they upgraded to cherry mx. thats a sign that they listen to the community. I hope they will listen to the community and do something about that height too.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Yea the height makes new think I will have to raise the height on my chair or lower my desk so my arms aren't raised so high.

They really need to take some Nostromo cues.

Offline vatin

Done... now I'm officially a backer for one pair.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Lanx

these ppl are dumb, why didn't they just take a nostromo and stick a mouse sensor on the bottom? would be 100x better than this ungodly unergonomic ****ty device.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
The device's shape does look ungodly, yet they've updated it with MX switches and apparently wireless function and ergonomic updates. Sounds interesting, at the least.
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
Very interesting. I would love to get the chance to use one!