Author Topic: Recommend me a sub $35 starter trackball  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Recommend me a sub $35 starter trackball
« on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:54:00 »
I want to delve into trackballs, but don't know where to start.

I'll probably need something with a decently sized ball.

My 11800 has a built in trackball, but there are some issues I hate. 1. Tiny ball--way too small and insensitive. 2. Up and down buttons: would like them on the right and left

Would like it sub $35, as if I like it, I'll get a better one later

How good is Kensington orbit with scroll wheel? http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K72337US-Orbit-Trackball-Scroll/dp/B002OOWB3O/ref=zg_bs_172499_5

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Recommend me a sub $35 starter trackball
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 09:41:41 »
I was told this one may fit the bill. It is wireless though, maybe you do not want that. I have used a trackball some years ago, i will get it a try again. This appears to be thumb drive, which may mean less stress in the wrist.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 21:03:42 »
I would go with the Kensington orbit. It was a great trackball, and I still use it on and off every now and then, but I'm a mouse man at heart. One thing strange I found about trackballs though, is that I used them with my left hand even though I'm right handed and use a mouse with my right hand. It just felt like the natural way to use it.
EDIT: Amazon Link

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 21:09:23 »
I would go with the Kensington orbit. It was a great trackball, and I still use it on and off every now and then, but I'm a mouse man at heart. One thing strange I found about trackballs though, is that I used them with my left hand even though I'm right handed and use a mouse with my right hand. It just felt like the natural way to use it.

Yeah I did that, used the trackball to move and the mouse to click.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 21:22:25 »

Oooh that gives me an idea

Trackball on the left, techkeys card on the right binded to mouse keys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 March 2014, 21:28:42 by Pacifist »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 00:55:51 »
Can someone share her experience with index and thumb operated trackball?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 05:15:16 »

Yeah. Because thumb-trackball buttons are operated like those on a mouse, clicking hurts my index finger. Moreover, no thumb trackball fits my hand like a glove... maybe if there was something with a shape of the nostromo... that's actually an interesting idea! Keypad under fingertips + thumb trackball.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 06:45:45 »
Like I said earlier, I used the Kensington Orbit, which is a index finger trackball. It took me a little while to get used to it, but it didn't feel unnatural. Honestly, if I could get the same precision with the Kensington Orbit that I get with my Zowie FK I would still be using it.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:08:36 »
I use a thumb operated trackball and have done for the past year or so. I find it to be comfortable for me and fairly accurate for everything I do. At first I found it to be a bit strange but I soon got used to it and now I cannot stand using a mouse. I have not tried a finger operated trackball, to compare how I feel about it though.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:53:46 »

Yeah. Because thumb-trackball buttons are operated like those on a mouse, clicking hurts my index finger. Moreover, no thumb trackball fits my hand like a glove... maybe if there was something with a shape of the nostromo... that's actually an interesting idea! Keypad under fingertips + thumb trackball.

Isn't that precisely the configuration of this one?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:55:51 »
I use a thumb operated trackball and have done for the past year or so. I find it to be comfortable for me and fairly accurate for everything I do. At first I found it to be a bit strange but I soon got used to it and now I cannot stand using a mouse. I have not tried a finger operated trackball, to compare how I feel about it though.

What about your wrist torsion? The main issue with a mice is the awkward and unnatural position your wrist should have to operate it, does the thumb operated trackball have a more ergo position for your wrist?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:57:10 »
Like I said earlier, I used the Kensington Orbit, which is a index finger trackball. It took me a little while to get used to it, but it didn't feel unnatural. Honestly, if I could get the same precision with the Kensington Orbit that I get with my Zowie FK I would still be using it.

Thank you for sharing...aw that sounds like an AA sessions phrase, lol.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 08:53:31 »

Isn't that precisely the configuration of this one?

Absolutely not, mosty due to short-travel buttons and a ****ty wheel.

I mean the nostromo or MS SideWinder Strategic Commander (modded to better buttons) with a thumb ball.

I currently have the MTO and Logitech TrackMan Wheel. My hand slides off either, although MTO is a bit better. OTOH, the hand rest on Belkin n52te or the handshoe mouse are about perfect.

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 22:45:22 »
Logitech Trackman Marble (formerly aka Marble Mouse). But skip the OEM config/driver software and just use X-Mouse Button Control (Windows) or USB Overdrive (Mac) instead, much more flexible button-assignment options that way.

When using this trackball, you just rest the pinky edge of your hand on your desk alongside it and then "drape" your hand over it. It's a fairly neutral wrist position, though you may want to put it on top of a cushy mousepad for comfort. It's also symmetrical, so you can switch hands if one gets tired; I use X-Mouse Button's layers feature to define mirror-image left-handed and right-handed button assignments and switch between them easily. An issue with thumb balls is that they're always asymmetrical and thus almost always right-handed.

As an aside, the old Kensington TurboBall was a similar design but IMO even more ergonomic, as the body was taller and the ball slightly larger, allowing a hand draped over it to remain more vertical, and it also had a scroll wheel along with 4 larger buttons that could be "chorded" (2 buttons clicked together could have their own button assignment); however, it was let down by tiny mechanical ball-tracking rollers that constantly got gunked up and needed frequent cleaning, as well as somewhat fragile internal construction. If Kensington ever re-released an updated TurboBall with optical tracking and maybe a scroll ring around the ball, it would be well-nigh perfect.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 01:05:08 »
ended up getting a orbit scroll which arrived today, will do a review later on it

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 01:56:34 »
I want to delve into trackballs, but don't know where to start.

I'll probably need something with a decently sized ball.

My 11800 has a built in trackball, but there are some issues I hate. 1. Tiny ball--way too small and insensitive. 2. Up and down buttons: would like them on the right and left

Would like it sub $35, as if I like it, I'll get a better one later

How good is Kensington orbit with scroll wheel? http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K72337US-Orbit-Trackball-Scroll/dp/B002OOWB3O/ref=zg_bs_172499_5

don't get that orbit; the scroll wheel will rot within 2 years and you will hate that feel.

methinks it is actually better to start with the better ones. Go for Kensington Expert - I believe for $50 you can get them secondhand in very good condition; for 80 shipped you should be able to find NOS NIB.

Just don't go for the older (white) models, because their drivers are not always compatible with Windows 7 and 8.

This would be $under 70 even if you do BIN.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kensington-Expert-Trackball-Mouse-Optical-Model-K64325-Shortly-Used-Nice-LOOK-/161260730761?pt=Mice&hash=item258be37989

You know what? Exceeding your budget of $35 won't matter if you really like that trackball. It would be entirely worth it and you won't need to buy a second one for years. And if you find you don't like that Expert, I guarantee you I will buy it from you used for $40 shipped conus. I bet lots of people on this forum will buy it from you for $50 shipped conus. But if you buy a crap $35 trackball and hate it, reselling will be hard.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:24:21 »
It's not like the wheel on the Expert is anything spectacular either, unless you really enjoy the grinding sounds.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 20:24:19 »
I use a Kensington Orbit at work, had it at least 2 years; no issues.

I do wish someone would come out with a Trackman Marble FX like trackball - I went through 3 of those over the years ; still my favorite.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 20:56:32 »

A video, or never happened  :p