Author Topic: Does anyone else use high DPI?  (Read 42723 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Does anyone else use high DPI?
« on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:46:26 »
Kinda continuing my "discussion" with jwaz over at the post your topper thread.

I'm really curious because every time someone finds out that I use 5700 DPI (the max setting on my G9x) they think I'm insane. I went from 1.8k on the Razer Salmosa and it was way too slow. Then to the Abyssus with 3.6k, which eventually also felt too slow so I got a G9x. Started off at 3.6k initially, and then worked up to 4k, ,and finally jumping to the max of 5.7k. I have no problems at all with my mouse accuracy or controlling it, whether I'm casually browsing, playing StarCraft, Dota, or when I'm training myself in Osu. No acceleration and 1:1 of course, although the G9x has some built in acceleration that I can feel. Resolution is 2 monitors with 1080x1920 res.

Is it really that weird? I can't even begin to imagine how painful it would be for me to go down to 1800s and so, but apparently that's what a lot of people use. Do I just have precise control over my wrist? I guess I should also mention that I hold my mice "weird".

Anyone else use relatively "high" DPI settings?

Example of me being bad at osu, pay attention to the mouse camera movements

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 16:20:11 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Does anyone else use high DPI?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:49:00 »
tried using 3500 dpi+low in game sens for tf2 but it never felt as good as 800dpi+medium in game sens

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 00:44:43 »
I can't do anything more than 800 dpi. What you describe seems absolutely insane to me.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 00:56:57 »
I stay at 3000 DPI on my Steelseries Sensei and I find it to be a good balance between speed and precision. I've gone up to the 5000s before for the sake of curiosity, and it's usable, but not very precise (for me). I could probably work my way up there if I took it in small increments, but I don't really see a need to when I'm comfortable where I am.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:05:07 »
Generally stick to 3200k for day to day use, and only bump it to 5k for games with insufferably slow 3d cameras that for whatever reason can't be adequately adjusted in some sort of options menu. I also occasionally click down to 2400k for sniping and finer Photoshop stuffs. Never saw any reason to go higher than 5k or lower than 800 (unless my mom's visiting and insists I bump my dpi to 400 so she can check her email.)

Generally I only use the dpi settings in the mouse software and don't fiddle with in-game settings.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:26:43 »
Haha, atm I'm using 600 dpi with a 21 inch monitor at 1600x900; even lower than what most people use :S
I just surf and play LoL, so 600 dpi is better in terms of accuracy for me, as I'm not doing macro-level actions,like in SC

I think 5700 dpi is fine if you're using multiple monitors; it'd only be crazy if you had only one :S

Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:30:21 »
I used to do what you're describing so I have some perspective.
As somebody's who's done this I can tell you're holding your mouse "weird" because you can't control your mouse normally at the highest dpi and you're compensating for that.
Although you probably prefer high DPI anyways, your mousepad probably isn't the best at tracking either which might be why you're cranking your DPI up to such an extreme.

There's plenty of reasons why you shouldn't be using your mouse at such an extreme dpi.
You can probably start an entire thread on this.
One of reasons is that you're not actually achieving 1:1 in terms of precision.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:34:29 by the1onewolf »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:36:37 »
it's the other way around, it's because I hold it weird that I can't use low dpi.. and that's more of a comfort thing, I relax my hand atop of my mouse rather than grip it with fingers. thus I control purely with wrist movement. if I do grip with fingers I get even more accuracy, I'm required to do so when playing osu or something.

it's really uncomfortable to have to move my entire arm or hand and tiresome when doing **** like sc2 or osu. for fps games I understand low sensitivity, that and photos hop is when I bump down.

as for my mouse pad idk, and I'm already not achieving true 1:1 cuz of the g9x sensor. I've used a variety of mouse pads borrowing from friends at Lans and what not

Higher dpi more comfortable and accurate for me, there's absolutely no way I can do what I do with anything less than 3.6k.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:42:09 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:48:32 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:56:35 »
I've seen the video and I totally understand the theory behind it. My problem is wtf am I supposed to do if I almost physically can't use a low dpi, what is the highest possible dpi I can use without issues like this occurring? I've tried switching back to 3.6k as that seems to be the Golden number I'm looking for but it feels so impractical and I keep moving my cursor too short of where it needs to be often times and really ****s me over in games
I love Elzy

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 02:04:18 »
Hmmm in that case, I guess you might benefit from aftermarket mouse feet that are speed orientated.
Get a hard pad or metal pad. Less friction, significantly faster glide so your cursor won't stop short anymore.

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 02:07:24 by the1onewolf »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 02:15:13 »
hm i've been at 1800 on my abyssus and just bumped it up to 3500. not bad... but i have 2 big monitors at work so its nice to zoom around them without picking up my mouse.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Doesntknowwhattosay

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 02:21:18 »
Wow 5,7k for osu is insane :o
I use 1000 dpi but a tablet for osu though. 

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 04:16:43 »
Yes, It is that weird! i don't understand how anybody can use anything over 2k! I use 450 dpi with 6/11 windows mouse settings with a single 1920x1080 24" screen and it is still very fast for me. I'm even looking for a mouse with lower then 450 becaue it is a little to fast for me. That is so insane! :eek:

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 04:24:16 »
It made me slip yeah :)) too high 5000++
i just use 500dpi on 14"(1366x768)
1000dpi on 14" quite fast to me may hand/arm,mousepad,mice & monitor determine also.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 10:20:46 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 04:44:43 »
I don't think I actually own a mouse that would be capable of anything over 2k cpi, except jittery 4k cpi on the savu. I tried some 2.5k or 3.5k cpi once or twice and it wasn't bad, but there don't appear to be any quality mice with such sensors and my preferred shape around.

I use mice only to play RTS @ 1280×1024 window. Usually at something around 1600 cpi, sometimes more (2k cpi), sometimes less (down to 800 cpi).
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 04:46:28 by davkol »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 05:12:43 »
DPI is just one part of the equation, and by itself does not describe sensitivity.

In your operating system, it is affected by your windows settings. In games, it is affected by both windows settings and ingame sensitivity settings. It is very possible to have a high DPI, but low sensitivity and vice versa depending on the settings that you use. Often people do this when the sensor of their mouse performs better at a certain level of DPI (for example, someone with low sensitivity who chooses to use his mouse's native 1800 DPI setting). Though it should be pointed out that changing windows sensitivity setting affects tracking quality.

That said, sensitivity is one of those things where if you get used to a particular sensitivity, changing drastically from that sensitivity will always feel awkward. Personally I think that people should try out different settings, and not let themselves be demotivated by the initial feeling of awkwardness that they will certainly experience. In the OS , use whatever you find comfortable, but in some genre of games, there are unique benefits of using a lower DPI. One reason why the average FPS player for example can't hit the broad side of a barn is because they use a level of sensitivity that is way beyond what they are able to control accurately. The average player could improve his aim in a matter of days if he would choose a very low sensitivity, force himself to play with that setting for an hour, then gradually increase his sensitivity based on preference, play for one hour again, and repeat that process until satisfied. By calibrating his sensitivity this way, and allowing himself to get used to a lower sensitivity, the sensitivity he will end up with is likely to be lower than the one he was initially using. * Obv This does not go for everyone
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 05:24:37 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 05:20:29 »
1600DPI is the sweet spot for me. It's interesting to see the wide range of DPI's used here. I just can't be as accurate as I want to be with higher DPI, although if the sensor is really good I could probably get used to maximum 3200.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 06:19:28 »
i think sensitivity preference has a lot to do with physical orientation to the device.

I feel ~3200 is my sweet spot, but i'm also a tip gripper with a sub-optimal desk/chair setup, which results in a low-motion wrist-anchor control style being the most comfortable for me. I can't do palm or claw, because it would require my surface to be lower, which doesn't work due to fixed-position chair arms... and i feel my chair is already too high, because i like a firm flat foot grip of the floor, which i can't currently do, because then the desk surface is too much higher than the chair, which ends up putting all kinds of strain on various points.

If i could lower my chair to optimal height, and then also adjust my surface to the optimal spacial relation to that chair position, THEN i would feel comfortable with a palm or claw grip, and low sense high motion control style, since i wouldn't have to anchor anymore, in order to remain comfortable.

But for now, there's just no way to make a high motion control style work, because it would require bizarre arm positioning. Plus, i only have a 1920x1080 24" anyway. 3200dpi works pretty well for being fast enough for macro, slow enough for micro (though i've noticed micro is just irritating no matter what, with my g700... mostly because the sensor is at the front, and i tip grip...)
Logitech G710+

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 06:31:52 »
I run my G700s at 8200 DPI all the time.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 06:57:02 »
what size monitor you use,Spam? :-X
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 06:59:55 »
what size monitor you use,Spam? :-X

I've got two 24" @ 1920x1200

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:35:57 »
DPI is just one part of the equation, and by itself does not describe sensitivity.

In your operating system, it is affected by your windows settings. In games, it is affected by both windows settings and ingame sensitivity settings. It is very possible to have a high DPI, but low sensitivity and vice versa depending on the settings that you use. Often people do this when the sensor of their mouse performs better at a certain level of DPI (for example, someone with low sensitivity who chooses to use his mouse's native 1800 DPI setting). Though it should be pointed out that changing windows sensitivity setting affects tracking quality.

That said, sensitivity is one of those things where if you get used to a particular sensitivity, changing drastically from that sensitivity will always feel awkward. Personally I think that people should try out different settings, and not let themselves be demotivated by the initial feeling of awkwardness that they will certainly experience. In the OS , use whatever you find comfortable, but in some genre of games, there are unique benefits of using a lower DPI. One reason why the average FPS player for example can't hit the broad side of a barn is because they use a level of sensitivity that is way beyond what they are able to control accurately. The average player could improve his aim in a matter of days if he would choose a very low sensitivity, force himself to play with that setting for an hour, then gradually increase his sensitivity based on preference, play for one hour again, and repeat that process until satisfied. By calibrating his sensitivity this way, and allowing himself to get used to a lower sensitivity, the sensitivity he will end up with is likely to be lower than the one he was initially using. * Obv This does not go for everyone

It's the opposite for me, I kept training myself to go up because I wasn't happy with how slow even 3.6k is. My windows setting is 6/11 and I don't touch in game settings unless it's FPS. I've tried and the lowest I can go back down to is 3.6k albeit a little uncomfortable but usable.
I love Elzy

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:41:44 »
I don't really use high dpi, 1800 atm. Not all that high, but higher than the 450-900 range I was using before. Although I can understand why some people prefer higher, and if I wanted to I could probably adapt to much higher dpi.

However, I do have a problem with high sens in fps games, as I feel I don't get the fine control I need to properly kill virtual dudes.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 09:15:46 »
I used to run my old razer mouse at its max dpi (i'm sure it was in the 5000's lie Sifo). Switching to Linux the OS acceleration was lowered a bit and I have now gotten used to that. I think its like a two inch swipe to go across my monitors - I never have to pick up my mouse.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 09:39:50 »
I actually started around 1600 or 1800 depending on the mouse. Then I dropped down to around 800 for more accuracy. I now use the lowest settings on most mice (e.g., 400 on Mico or Kinzu, 450 on AM-FG or EC1/EC2 eVo CL). 5700 is insanely fast to me. I never ever liked going over 2000.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 10:21:21 »
Then I dropped down to around 800 for more accuracy. I now use the lowest settings on most mice (e.g., 400 on Mico or Kinzu, 450 on AM-FG or EC1/EC2 eVo CL).

I don't think I could ever use 400 dpi, it would take like 2 feet of movement forceing me to pick up my mouse to get across my multiple monitors.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:15:54 »

Short video of me playing osu with my mouse. As you can see, I prefer absolute minimal hand movement... I'm lazy like that. All mistakes were generally either because I suck at this game, or because I have 0 sense of rhythm even though I'm a rhythm guitarist and musician. Cut it short to save myself the embarassment ^_^ in game sensitivity hasn't been touched.
I love Elzy

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:01:54 »
I have played fps games over the years, and have always used 450-600 dpi only, and just changed to 1.6k dpi last year due to dota 2.

So yeah.. I think it's a bit crazy to have 5.8k, but then again it's your own preference and the game you play.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:03:23 »
When I play FPS I lower it way the heck down, but sc2/dota still 5.7k ;\ and it's the rate I just casually browse **** at too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:05:20 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 21:08:46 »
I'm running at 1440p on my monitor and generally have my mouse set at 2520dpi for gaming and drop to 1620 dpi in normal use or when sniping.  Sometimes I go a little lower or a little higher.  800 is too low for 1440p and 5040 dpi, the max my mouse can do, would be insane and unwieldy.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:50:09 »
Yeaaaaaah.. tried going down to 5k today. Felt too sluggish :X
I love Elzy

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 22:28:59 »

Short video of me playing osu with my mouse. As you can see, I prefer absolute minimal hand movement... I'm lazy like that. All mistakes were generally either because I suck at this game, or because I have 0 sense of rhythm even though I'm a rhythm guitarist and musician. Cut it short to save myself the embarassment ^_^ in game sensitivity hasn't been touched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tao85QrhdYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tao85QrhdY#t=430

Get on his level Sifo >_>

Offline mr2009

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 22:33:42 »
i used 800dpi(cheapo mouse) to 1200dpi(another cheapo) to 1600dpi(gigabyte something) to 2000dpi(A4tech G11-570HX) and finally 3500dpi(RAT3) mouse and for me anything less than 3000dpi is freaking slow on my 22" FHD monitor. even for lower resolution on my lappie, im using zalman ZM-500WL 3000DPI and ditch my a4tech cause i feel its slow as well :cool:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 22:34:53 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tao85QrhdYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tao85QrhdY#t=430

Get on his level Sifo >_>

I don't use a tablet..
I love Elzy

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 22:38:38 »
I don't use a tablet..

I know you don't. A friend showed me that video and my gaw dropped so I had to show the rest of the osu playing world. Even with a tablet some of those rhythms are just insane.

I can barely pull of an A on a song. I have no idea how I would get a SS (100%) on a song with that many notes that fast.

I digress. Back on topic everyone :)

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 06:04:58 »
I used 9600 dpi before, now i use 6400 (max on new mouse). 29" 2560x1080 monitor.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 06:12:06 »
It's not just the DPI though, it's the pointer movement speed too in combination.  I can have the pointer moving at about the same speed on the lowest DPI + max pointer speed and highest DPI + minimum pointer speed (of course don't want to go over 6/11 in Windows equivalent).  I do find that high DPI generally gives better precision in terms of line smoothness when drawing, but I turn pointer speed way down, or it just zooms across my dual monitor in wild zigzags.  My current mouse is at max DPI (16400 setting lol...) and low pointer speed with acceleration disabled.  Been playing with it for a long time now figuring out the most comfortable and realistic settings, and this one is one of my favorites.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 10:29:33 »
3 30" Dell monitors, total screen real estate is 7680x1600

I'm at 800dpi @ 125hz (I'm probably the only person that things 125hz is more accurate than 500/1k), Windows mouse sens is mid-point, but I do use Windows acceleration.

Absolutely love it

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:56:50 »
windows settings at 6 (middle) so you dont get pixel skipping and then turn down the mouse as far as you can for the optimal use of your mouse.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 16:20:51 »
windows settings at 6 (middle) so you dont get pixel skipping and then turn down the mouse as far as you can for the optimal use of your mouse.

But then I actually have to move my hand, why would I do that ;(
I love Elzy

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 16:59:57 »
I think the point is that if you care more about keeping your hand still than absolute accuracy, then you wouldn't do that.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:08:33 »
I think the point is that if you care more about keeping your hand still than absolute accuracy, then you wouldn't do that.

But I don't feel like I'm missing out on any accuracy with my settings as opposed to lower sensitivity o_o
I love Elzy

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:11:22 »
I think it's fine to use whatever settings you want as long as you are comfortable with it. No need to change anything. That's why so many mice are so customizable down to the individual pixel.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:36:21 »
I think it's fine to use whatever settings you want as long as you are comfortable with it. No need to change anything. That's why so many mice are so customizable down to the individual pixel.
/thread
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Does anyone else use high DPI?
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 01:20:36 »

But I don't feel like I'm missing out on any accuracy with my settings as opposed to lower sensitivity o_o

I meant more about objective, quantifiable accuracy (measurable accel, pixel skipping, etc) as opposed to feel.

I say just go for whatever feels best.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 19:04:40 »
how do some of you guys even use 3200 dpi, let alone 6400/8200 dpi?! Do you crank down windows sens to the first notch? Or do you have 4k displays? I personally would be frustrated if I had to concentrate on my precise small mouse movement to hit the x and close a tab  :p

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 19:05:33 »
how do some of you guys even use 3200 dpi, let alone 6400/8200 dpi?! Do you crank down windows sens to the first notch? Or do you have 4k displays? I personally would be frustrated if I had to concentrate on my precise small mouse movement to hit the x and close a tab  :p

I'm on 1080, 6/11

It honestly doesn't take any concentration to hit x to close a tab just comes naturally. Takes more concentration if it's on slow dpi :P
I love Elzy

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 19:12:13 »

I'm on 1080, 6/11

It honestly doesn't take any concentration to hit x to close a tab just comes naturally. Takes more concentration if it's on slow dpi :P

yea, 1080 is slightly more manageable for me, haha. Maybe I'm just too used to low sens in CS, that anything higher I will feel like I am struggling to hit x to close tab.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 19:20:34 »

low motion high sensitivity control style, wrist-anchored tip-grip. Gentle nuance versus... well, not.

Your ergonomics (or lack thereof) play a crucial role in determining which control style feels most comfortable, as does your body (though that could arguably be included in "ergonomics").

My own setup includes too much elevation of both the desk and chair, and its arms... which then makes whole-arm control styles very uncomfortable (aka high motion  low sensitivity, non-anchored, palm/claw grip). When you don't have to move your entire arm, or worse, moving your whole arm is uncomfortable or even painful... low motion, high sensitivity is better, since it produces less strain (i know some of you high motion low sense champions will argue, but it's all subjective, and based on how your body relates to your setup... not saying one is "better," just saying it's subjective, and certain setups are more/less compatible with one style, as opposed to the other).

Also, since i've spent many years of my life playing guitar, micro-motions of my right hand are already pretty well tuned. If you can alternate pick guitar strings, you can use low motion high sensitivity mouse control.

But yeah, sometimes it's irritating doing highly precise motions... although in my case, it's worse with a high motion low sensitivity approach, mostly due to a surface i can't lower, and a chair that's already too high.

And i leave windows mouse setting in the middle (which ever is allegedly 1:1).
Logitech G710+