Author Topic: question: use a numerical keypad as a poor man's "gaming keypad?"  (Read 1582 times)

Offline fishfalcon

I've recently been introduced to dota 2, and have been thinking about getting a peripheral to use with my left hand (right hand is for mouse). i'm not really attracted by gaming-themed offerings from razer/logitech... so i was wondering if anyone on GH has put a numpad to use... I'm thinking about getting a keycool 22, so if anyone's had a positive negative experience, please let me know  !
-fish
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 March 2014, 15:01:55 by fishfalcon »
WASD Code TKL (MX Greens) | Model M Industrial

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: question: use a numerical keypad as a poor man's "gaming keypad?"
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 15:31:32 »
I think one of the reasons people move towards gaming keypads is for the ergonomic factor. If you are just going to use a keypad, why not first think about remapping your keys?

When I play dota, I try not to ever get active items because my fingers go all over the place and I can never find ****. But if you watch streams or tournaments, you see some people map their items to mouse buttons, space bar, all sorts of stuff. I think I might have to put something on my spacebar.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Linkbane

Re: question: use a numerical keypad as a poor man's "gaming keypad?"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 11:18:07 »
In my experience, number pads aren't very easy to use for gaming, pretty much the same as using the keyboard but worse because it's further. Although you dislike the gaming pads, they're made for a reason and will be better than other non-intended devices. Another option, of course, is to use key binding on mice, but depending how you hold your mouse while gaming (I use a fingertip hold with my palm very close the the back), it may be awkward.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.