Author Topic: I have 'special' needs ..  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Deadhy

• I like Space!
I have 'special' needs ..
« on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 06:24:15 »
Hello, Geekhack Community.
I just found your nice Board over Google and read some posts. You seem like you know what you are talking about(well, mostly), so I thought I give it a shot!

As you may notice I am new and just registered some minutes ago.
As you also may notice, I have some sort of 'Spcial' needs;
 what do I mean with that? Let me explain.

- I need a new mouse/mice.
 - I am currently using the Zowie EC1 and before that one, I was using the Logitech G9x Laser.
 - I do not need any special buttons, so recommending me a MMO-Mouse with 8 buttons, is completely useless for me; BUT I would accept the Forward\Backward buttons if you know what I mean.
 - I have huge Hands!!! (That's why I sold the G9x 2 days after buying it) My hand is double the length of the Zowie EC1
 - I need a mouse that works on Linux!
 - I would love to stay away From Logitech, Razer and Steelseries Mice/Mouse
 - My budget tops at 50€ (~$70)

That's all  : )
I think you know why I am special now?

Well, I hope you can help me,
 Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 06:32:31 by Deadhy »
don't mind me

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: I have 'special' needs ..
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:01:56 »
Are you going to be using the mouse for gaming?
There aren't really a lot of large mice, so if you've got large hands I think the best option would be a trackball. The CST LTrac is pretty big and very high quality. Other ergo-focused mice might also be larger than normal.
Obviously these will blow your budget, but there really aren't a lot of large mice easily available, and even fewer if you're looking for something cheap.
Maybe something like the RAT 7 or TT Level10M would work ok with large hands as well, but I really think a trackball is the best option for large hands unless you can 3D print or otherwise craft your own shell.

Offline Deadhy

• I like Space!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:12:35 »
No, I am not going to use the mouse for gaming.

I was thinking about the C.A.T. 7, and it is together with the Sentinel Advance II one of the only mice that fit my hand, but the C.A.T. 7 suffers in quality(the censor). I need a mouse that will last for years.
And the TT Level10M is just awfull.

I am willing to up my budget to €80(~$110);
 but only if it is a good mouse!
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:21:51 by Deadhy »
don't mind me

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:27:49 »
No, I am not going to use the mouse for gaming.

I was thinking about the C.A.T. 7, and it is together with the Sentinel Advance II one of the only mice that fit my hand, but the C.A.T. 7 suffers in quality(the censor). I need a mouse that will last for years.
And the TT Level10M is just awfull.

I am willing to up my budget to €80(~$110);
 but only if it is a good mouse!

If you want something that'll last for a while I'd re-recommend the LTrac, currently on massdrop for around the upper end of your budget(although depending on where you live you might end up with some unpleasant import taxes or whatever), depending on how many get in on the drop.

Afaik you can get Kensington trackballs easier and cheaper though, I don't think the bearings in those will be as durable as on the LTrac, but they should still be good and are more likely to be within your budget.

Also, sensor quality really isn't an issue if you're not gaming, so the RAT7 shouldn't give you any trouble in that regard, the only issue I can see is that it might not last all that long. Early models did have issues, but from what I've heard they have been improved and my current one is still working nicely, although I've got a lot of mice so mine hasn't seen all that much use.

Offline Deadhy

• I like Space!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:48:52 »
Hmm, then it seems like the German import of the R.A.T. 7 is bad, as I tested it 2 months ago and it broke after 2 weeks.

I'll give both Trackballs a chance(CST L-Trac and Kensington SlimBlade), if I face any problems, I'll keep using my Zowie or try a Wacom Graphic Tablet ..

Thank you for your help, vun.
don't mind me

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:37:27 »
Since you took out all the big companies I guess you can try Zowie FK?

Offline Deadhy

• I like Space!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 06:18:45 »
Huh, I didn't know that the Zowie FK was longer than the Zowie EC1?
don't mind me

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 17:22:41 »
I would not recommend the FK if you have large hands.

Have you taken a look at the Mionix Naos 7000? It has a good shape for large hands using a palm grip. Not sure about Linux support but I'm guessing the side buttons will at least map to forward/back in you internet browser by default. It also has buttons on there to adjust the DPI.
It is a bit expensive but it does have the best sensor on the market currently I believe. if the sensor isn't that important to you, they make other versions with the same shape but different sensors. Good luck!
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 05:15:54 »
What's wrong with the EC1 you're using now? From what I have learned, it matches most of your criteria. If it's too small, then here you go: http://usb.brando.com/usb-big-mouse_p02543c037d015.html

;)

I use a RAT3 (actually I have 2, one for home, one for work) with the palm rest extended (undo a screw, pull it out, put the screw back). It's simpler than the 7 so there's less to break and it has a good sensor. My first one has lasted more than 3 years with no big problems. Not too expensive, either.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Deadhy

• I like Space!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 13:19:22 »
Have you taken a look at the Mionix Naos 7000? [...]
Yes, I indeed have.
It is kinda hard to get it over here(?), but I'll take another look on it.

What's wrong with the EC1 you're using now? From what I have learned, it matches most of your criteria. If it's too small, then here you go: http://usb.brando.com/usb-big-mouse_p02543c037d015.html
Well, the EC1 is too small ..
wow yeah ... that mouse is perfect; thank you!  ;p

Anyways, the 2 Trackball-Mice(?) should arrive soon, so I think I'm good for now :)
 Thank you both tho!
don't mind me