Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1246578 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #3300 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 12:53:36 »
where do you get the sleeves GLOD?
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3301 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:24:00 »
i dont remember, i think it was some leftovers from a frozencpu.com order years ago, there is better sleaving out there for sure.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3302 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:30:24 »
cool thanks.

would you recommend this fix for someone who travels to and from work with their ergodox in a backpack?

Offline heissler

• I engineer invisible stuff
« Reply #3303 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:02:45 »
After the left half of my Dox has shown some funky behavior, I have decided to bypass the TRRS at all and hardwired my board.

I have opted for the Leoni Dacar cable series, which allows for some crazy bending radii due to its automotive application area. Since this is a more or less ghetto solution, I did not care about strain relief and hot-glued the whole connector area. The board has worked flawlessly for about a week now, where it worked on and off before, using the TRRS connectors. I will probably mod the second Dox to support detachable XLR (or probably mini XLR) connectors, but for now I am happy to have a fully operational board  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:09:03 by heissler »
Has trouble not spending money on keyboards

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3304 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 16:13:10 »
cool thanks.

would you recommend this fix for someone who travels to and from work with their ergodox in a backpack?

no not using the hook up wire i used, unless you are ok with its thickness and the fact the hands are permanently connected, but maybe if you direct wired in some other connector just to avoid using that TRRS connector that fits in that slot and causes all the problems. I guess just wait an see if you end up with problems, you may not but when your left hand suddenly stops working im guessing 75% of the time from previous posts here it ends up being that TRRS connector or a bad cable.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3305 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 16:38:47 »
cool thanks.

no not using the hook up wire i used, unless you are ok with its thickness and the fact the hands are permanently connected, but maybe if you direct wired in some other connector just to avoid using that TRRS connector that fits in that slot and causes all the problems. I guess just wait an see if you end up with problems, you may not but when your left hand suddenly stops working im guessing 75% of the time from previous posts here it ends up being that TRRS connector or a bad cable.

you guys hear any information about an update version of the dox's pcb?  i would love to see full LED support (even if that means two usb connections for power) and an alternative to trrs. 

also what do you guys think of plexon's cables? 

Offline ic07

« Reply #3306 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 17:06:15 »
you guys hear any information about an update version of the dox's pcb?  i would love to see full LED support (even if that means two usb connections for power) and an alternative to trrs. 

There was a project a while ago to modify the PCB to support LEDs -- but only on the full hand version, since I think they were using colorduinos, and I'm not sure what came of it.  The thread should be somewhere around here though :)

Funny to see all the hate towards TRRS -- not funny you guys are having problems, just funny because I was one of the main proponents of that choice (sorry).  Interestingly, mine haven't given me any problems at all, but then, I think I sourced my own connectors, and some of my own cords.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3307 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 21:49:49 »

There was a project a while ago to modify the PCB to support LEDs -- but only on the full hand version, since I think they were using colorduinos, and I'm not sure what came of it.  The thread should be somewhere around here though :)

Funny to see all the hate towards TRRS -- not funny you guys are having problems, just funny because I was one of the main proponents of that choice (sorry).  Interestingly, mine haven't given me any problems at all, but then, I think I sourced my own connectors, and some of my own cords.

are you using something other than this?  this is what massdrop uses and that is what i am using.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SJ-43514/CP-43514-ND/368146

i prefer the full hand version myself.  i am not really all into LEDs as a concept, but i want to modify my dox even more for the hell of it. it is fun. can the colorduino support more than 64 LEDs? i think the dox has 78 keys? i dont know i could count but i really dont feel like it right now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 21:53:15 by tricheboars »

Offline ic07

« Reply #3308 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:22:46 »
are you using something other than this?  this is what massdrop uses and that is what i am using.

i prefer the full hand version myself.  i am not really all into LEDs as a concept, but i want to modify my dox even more for the hell of it. it is fun. can the colorduino support more than 64 LEDs? i think the dox has 78 keys? i dont know i could count but i really dont feel like it right now.

Nope, from my notes that's the same part I bought... Hmm.  FWIW, my cables are from mycablemart.com (unless I happen to be using a massdrop cord right now, I really can't remember).

I've never used a colorduino, so I don't know.  The ErgoDox only has 74 keys unless you split one or more of the thumb keys (so, the PCB has room for 78 keys, but most people aren't using the extra 4).  Here's a link to the backlit Kinesis board, from one of the guys I remember mentioning interesting in a backlit ErgoDox a while back.  Still not sure if anyone got around to making one...

Offline macmakkara

« Reply #3309 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 02:44:31 »

Nope, from my notes that's the same part I bought... Hmm.  FWIW, my cables are from mycablemart.com (unless I happen to be using a massdrop cord right now, I really can't remember).

I've never used a colorduino, so I don't know.  The ErgoDox only has 74 keys unless you split one or more of the thumb keys (so, the PCB has room for 78 keys, but most people aren't using the extra 4).  Here's a link to the backlit Kinesis board, from one of the guys I remember mentioning interesting in a backlit ErgoDox a while back.  Still not sure if anyone got around to making one...

ErgoDox have 76 keys and PCB have room for 80 keys.

Offline ic07

« Reply #3310 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 17:20:45 »

ErgoDox have 76 keys and PCB have room for 80 keys.

Ahh!  You're right, I did count wrong.  Been away from the code for too long...

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3311 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 12:24:51 »
I just got my first Ergodox and I am completely new to layout configuration. I was trying to configure my Ergodox so that I can type the character "!" without pressing shift. Does anyone know whether this is possible?
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #3312 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:14:24 »
It's not possible with the massdrop site, but should be possible with TMK https://github.com/cub-uanic/tmk_keyboard

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3313 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:20:21 »
It's not possible with the massdrop site, but should be possible with TMK https://github.com/cub-uanic/tmk_keyboard

Thanks for the reply. I will dig into that github repo, but if someone has already done it or know how to do it, I would really appreciate sharing the knowledge.  :cool:
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline ic07

« Reply #3314 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 18:32:06 »
There are "shifted keys" in my firmware (both in the master branch, and in the partial-rewrite branch, the latter being easier to work with), even though they're not available through the massdrop site.  If you're trying to do inverted keys (i.e. unshifted = ! and shifted = 1) I believe this workman-p layout recently pulled into my master branch (but not available in the partial-rewrite) implements that.  I'd explain more, but I have a test tomorrow.  Whatever you find easiest :)

Offline limitedreality

« Reply #3315 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 20:39:59 »
I've read several pages of this thread and I'm clearly missing it somewhere so I apologize, but is there any way to still purchase an ErgoDox kit?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3316 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 20:50:42 »
I've read several pages of this thread and I'm clearly missing it somewhere so I apologize, but is there any way to still purchase an ErgoDox kit?

Wow first post!

If you want the kit right now, you can get PCB and case from MK and other parts from digitkey or mouser. If you are not in a hurry, wait for MD.

Offline limitedreality

« Reply #3317 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 21:21:40 »
Thanks!

Offline elllit

« Reply #3318 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 10:09:01 »
You can also get a set from czarek over at deskthority. The only things that are not included in the kit are switches (which you could get from 7bit on deskthority) and caps (several places).

These sources are especially interesting when you live in the EU.

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #3319 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 03:35:25 »
my next ergodox (which is inevitable at this point) will have an RJ-11 port instead of TRRS.  I just have to figure out how to get it to fit in the case.

In hindsight, originally spec'ing RJ-14 phone jacks (the 4-conductor variant of RJ-11) probably would have been a better choice than TRRS, plenty of cable style and length options available there.

FWIW, using USB ports would have been an unsuitable choice for this application, despite having the necessary 4 conductors, and was likely decided against because these ports would not function according to the USB standard.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline zorglups

« Reply #3320 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 09:35:19 »
Hi there...

I'm soldering my Ergodox and I'm about to solder the Teensy on the right hand side PCB.

A friend of mine did a 3D printed case based on the ErgoDox.org case definition files.

My problem is that as soon as the keys will be soldered, I won't have access to the Teensy Pushbutton.
I know I can map it to a key but would anything go wrong, I still need to ensure I can access that button anyhow.

I may drill a small hole on the top of the case but would like to avoid it.
I managed to get a beautiful case, I would like to keep it holeless ;-)

There are some pins on small borders of the Teensy that are labeled RST, GND, VCC, ...

Any idea if anyone of those could be wired to another switch that I would made reachable from the bottom of the case ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Pierre

Offline sordna

« Reply #3321 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 10:51:47 »
Hi there...

I'm soldering my Ergodox and I'm about to solder the Teensy on the right hand side PCB.

A friend of mine did a 3D printed case based on the ErgoDox.org case definition files.

My problem is that as soon as the keys will be soldered, I won't have access to the Teensy Pushbutton.
I know I can map it to a key but would anything go wrong, I still need to ensure I can access that button anyhow.

I may drill a small hole on the top of the case but would like to avoid it.
I managed to get a beautiful case, I would like to keep it holeless ;-)

There are some pins on small borders of the Teensy that are labeled RST, GND, VCC, ...

Any idea if anyone of those could be wired to another switch that I would made reachable from the bottom of the case ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Pierre

Drill a tiny hole, just enough so a straightened paperclip fits. That's what I did.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline zorglups

« Reply #3322 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 15:32:52 »
Well. My question was how to avoid the hole ;-)

Maybe someone knows which teensy pins are in // of the teensy switch ?

Offline ic07

« Reply #3323 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 16:14:28 »
It looks like you want a button connecting RST and GND: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html :)

Offline zorglups

« Reply #3324 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 09:04:02 »
Splendid !!! Thanks a lot. This is what I was looking for. 

Offline Usarise

« Reply #3325 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 10:32:51 »
I finally came out of lurking and joined the forums because I saw this and Acidfire's keyboard project.  I think I need to get one of these~

Does anyone have any idea when the next massdrop will be?  I'm really interested in assembling one of these boards, but I'm also in no hurry to spend more money than I have to haha.

Offline heissler

« Reply #3326 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 14:27:57 »
You can get them literally all the time from Czarek, over at Deskthority. He is shipping from the EU tho, and does not include switches, so you will have to source them for yourself.

Offline Usarise

« Reply #3327 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 11:31:21 »
You can get them literally all the time from Czarek, over at Deskthority. He is shipping from the EU tho, and does not include switches, so you will have to source them for yourself.
But would that be cheaper than waiting for the MD?  It's also a minor thing, but I'm not too crazy about the black PCB.  I'd love one in blue like on the drop.

Offline heissler

« Reply #3328 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:47:17 »
But would that be cheaper than waiting for the MD?  It's also a minor thing, but I'm not too crazy about the black PCB.  I'd love one in blue like on the drop.

Most likely not, since he is shipping from Europe. But you will certainly get it sooner than the Massdrop order :)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3329 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 11:58:05 »
i went with massdrop for their reliability and full hand case designs.

Offline zorglups

« Reply #3330 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 06:57:11 »

It looks like you want a button connecting RST and GND: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html :)
Just for information, I glued a reset switch onto the pcb and connected it to the RST and GND pass through holes of the teensy.
This way, the "reset hole" will be on the side rather than on the top.

Offline xman

« Reply #3331 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 21:23:53 »
Does anyone know the longest cord length possible between the right & left hands with reliable operation?

Offline heissler

« Reply #3332 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 01:01:39 »
Does anyone know the longest cord length possible between the right & left hands with reliable operation?

Longest theoretical or longest practical cord length? Since you will operate the board with your hands, I would assume that a cord length above 1 - 1,5m would be very impractical.... I currently have 1,5m of automotive cable hardwired to one of my boards. The board has been since working more reliably than before, with the TRRS connectors & cable.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3333 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 05:01:02 »
I am using a 2-meter RJ11 cable now.
I have tried a much longer cable, at least 5 meters, which also worked.

Offline zorglups

« Reply #3334 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:41:54 »
Sorry. I'm finishing soldering my ergodox and before soldering the switches, I would like to understand what is the problem with the jack connector and the cable provided by massdrop in their kit. If it is a big source of problem, then I would hard wire a tiny cable (guess 40cm is more than enough).

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #3335 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:57:19 »
some people have found that between the quality of the cable and the connectors, that either the left hand, or the whole board goes screwy. generally getting a new/better cable seems to fix it, at least temporarily.

fwiw i got my dox from the first massdrop round and have never had the problem, but my board doesn't get moved around much.

Offline zorglups

« Reply #3336 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:26:15 »
Well. I do not plan to move a lot more than a few inches my keyboard every day. Not going from computer to computer with it.

Offline xman

« Reply #3337 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 00:40:08 »

Longest theoretical or longest practical cord length? Since you will operate the board with your hands, I would assume that a cord length above 1 - 1,5m would be very impractical.... I currently have 1,5m of automotive cable hardwired to one of my boards. The board has been since working more reliably than before, with the TRRS connectors & cable.

I'd probably be OK with 1.5m cord length.
It seems that hardwired automotive cable is more reliable
than using TRRS connectors & cable.
I hope that "more reliably than before" means 100% reliable now.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #3338 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 01:32:30 »
For the current massdrop gb, they're offering full hand and classic. Which one is better if I am going to have it tilted/tented? Which one is better overall? Also, does it even tilt? I think the description mentioned something about it having a screw or something on the bottom so you can tilt it to any degree you like? Is this true? Super interested in joining the revolution.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #3339 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 23:10:13 »
I've tried searching, but can't seem to find anything about flipping the Teensy to the left hand and the io expander to the right.  Has anyone done this yet?  I am choosing between the poker II and the ergodox and I think the ergodox will win if I can find a viable way to do this flip. 

From what I have read, I will need to solder them on the opposite ends, inverted, which in turn will cause the keys to be mapped backward.  How have people gotten around having the button on the teensy facing the pcb?  Help?  :(
Hi :)

Offline ic07

« Reply #3340 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 00:34:51 »
If the reason you'd like to put the Teensy on the left is to make it so the left side can be used alone, perhaps there's an easier solution :) .  If one procured a spare Teensy, pair of 2.2kΩ resistors, and TRRS cable (or connector), one could essentially put the right hand side of the board, minus the key matrix and LEDs, into an Altoids tin (or similar).  See the circuit diagram (download first, then view) for details, if you like.  Only the pull-up resistors on PD0 and PD1 are necessary for the Teensy to function.  The whole thing would probably cost ~$20.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3341 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 00:42:23 »
my board needs to be unplugged and replugged in again sometimes. it has probably happened 10 times?  i take it back and forth from work.

i am going to build another to stay at the office.   

but on this one i need to figure something out. maybe a new trrs cable. not sure.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3342 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:22:12 »
whoops bought another one

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #3343 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:37:38 »
If the reason you'd like to put the Teensy on the left is to make it so the left side can be used alone, perhaps there's an easier solution :) .  If one procured a spare Teensy, pair of 2.2kΩ resistors, and TRRS cable (or connector), one could essentially put the right hand side of the board, minus the key matrix and LEDs, into an Altoids tin (or similar).  See the circuit diagram (download first, then view) for details, if you like.  Only the pull-up resistors on PD0 and PD1 are necessary for the Teensy to function.  The whole thing would probably cost ~$20.

I would like to use the right as well, but just have the pc-board connection on the left hand rather than the right, since my tower is on the left, and I would like to have it be useable as a standalone(like you mentioned). 

I just don't know much about the programming of the teensy.  Could I just mount it normally(teensy on right, IO on left) and solder the switches on the back side?

I posted a thread on the "making stuff together" section, so hopefully people can help! 

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #3344 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:46:41 »
Would you guys recommend the classic or full hand?

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #3345 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:49:52 »
whoops bought another one

this forum in a nutshell

Offline ic07

« Reply #3346 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:55:47 »
I would like to use the right as well, but just have the pc-board connection on the left hand rather than the right, since my tower is on the left, and I would like to have it be useable as a standalone(like you mentioned). 

I just don't know much about the programming of the teensy.  Could I just mount it normally(teensy on right, IO on left) and solder the switches on the back side?

I posted a thread on the "making stuff together" section, so hopefully people can help! 

Not sure if there's room for that in the litster (and hence massdrop) style acrylic cases -- otherwise you could probably get away with it, with some care.  I'd test first, of course.  Hope you find a solution that works for you! :)

Both versions have people who swear by them... Do you like to rest your wrists?  If so, you probably want the full hand.  If not, you probably want the classic.  I have the classic :)

About adjustable tenting... there are a number of solutions various people came up with somewhere in this thread.  There was at least one person who used adjustable screws of some sort, with rubber feet, which is probably the cheapest solution.  But I don't really remember them, and can't comment on how well they worked (sorry), because I didn't want mine tented.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #3347 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:59:50 »
Both versions have people who swear by them... Do you like to rest your wrists?  If so, you probably want the full hand.  If not, you probably want the classic.  I have the classic :)
About adjustable tenting... there are a number of solutions various people came up with somewhere in this thread.  There was at least one person who used adjustable screws of some sort, with rubber feet, which is probably the cheapest solution.  But I don't really remember them, and can't comment on how well they worked (sorry), because I didn't want mine tented.

Yea I like to rest my wrists, I was thinking if I get the classic version that I could switch between resting and floating. By resting, I could get Grifiti's 8 inch fat pads (x2 for each hand). You think that would work? I don't rly like a hard surface to rest on and eventually I might get some slim pads from Grifiti if I get the full hand. dunno now which one to get :(

Offline ic07

« Reply #3348 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 21:32:03 »
Yea I like to rest my wrists, I was thinking if I get the classic version that I could switch between resting and floating. By resting, I could get Grifiti's 8 inch fat pads (x2 for each hand). You think that would work? I don't rly like a hard surface to rest on and eventually I might get some slim pads from Grifiti if I get the full hand. dunno now which one to get :(

Ya... Ergonomics are so hard to predict, sometimes even after a while of actually using something.  I know a lot of people on here love to wrest their wrists, and there was some discussion a while back (especially after the first buy) about what people were doing about that.  Unfortunately I'll have to leave the discussion to them because, if you'll forgive me, I hate resting my wrists, lol.

Just to throw in a slightly less obvious solution, it might also be possible to order a full hand bottom layer for each hand (from somewhere online, or from someone here), in addition to the classic case from massdrop (assuming that's how you're doing things) -- this way, if you substituted the full hand bottom layer on your otherwise classic case 'board, there wouldn't be much in your way when you wanted to float your wrists, and you'd still have a stable base on which to mount your separate wrests.  Of course, that would be a bit of extra work and expense...

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #3349 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 22:24:43 »

Ya... Ergonomics are so hard to predict, sometimes even after a while of actually using something.  I know a lot of people on here love to wrest their wrists, and there was some discussion a while back (especially after the first buy) about what people were doing about that.  Unfortunately I'll have to leave the discussion to them because, if you'll forgive me, I hate resting my wrists, lol.

Just to throw in a slightly less obvious solution, it might also be possible to order a full hand bottom layer for each hand (from somewhere online, or from someone here), in addition to the classic case from massdrop (assuming that's how you're doing things) -- this way, if you substituted the full hand bottom layer on your otherwise classic case 'board, there wouldn't be much in your way when you wanted to float your wrists, and you'd still have a stable base on which to mount your separate wrests.  Of course, that would be a bit of extra work and expense...

Thanks for your opinion on this. I think I might just go Classic on this one! More versatile in my mind in the fact that you can go full hand with a simple wrist rest whereas the full hand is permanently affixed that way. Plus, this'll give me a chance to get more into wooden tent stands :) thanks again ic

Now time to choose between DCS or DSA caps.....