Author Topic: Blox - Modular Keyboard  (Read 53302 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Blox - Modular Keyboard
« on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:10:08 »
So we have the GH60, which seems on the path of greatness.

samwisekoi started the GH75, which also looks very impressive. It now is the time for GH100+, a full size and maybe even larger (122-terminal style) open source community keyboard.

What I am thinking is of a open source keyboard based on the GH60 as the base and extending on it with modules, which can be directly connected via a connector or ribbon cables. There will be 5 extendable modules:
  • Arrow + navigation cluster - similar to the phantom style cluster, this would have 3x5 switch matrix, which can be used to create any layout you want, such as the standard arrow + nav cluster or the "+" style on the terminal Model F.
  • Numpad cluster - Standard numpad cluster with 4x5 switch matrix, with 2u switch positions in normal +, Enter, and 0.
  • Esc + 12 F function row - The standard function row with Esc, and F1-F12
  • 24 F function rows - 12x2 switch matrix, Model F terminal style 24 function keys style matrix
  • 10 key macro extension - 2x5 switch matrix, this again is similar to the Model F terminal style 2x5 matrix on the left side.
An added advantage with extendable modules is that you can play around with the positions of the modules, such as have arrow cluster on the left and the 2x5 macro module on the right side.

So what do you guys think? I have absolutely no idea on how to develop PCB circuits, however I can help with anything else.

So what say guys?

UPDATE - 22-Jan-2014

Thanks to regack who is helping me learn PCB designing this project is a go. I've also changed the name to Blox.

Features I am planning
- Support Alps as well as MX switches (Plate and PCB)
- Full LED support[1]
- PCB mounted Stabs
- All components SMD[2]
- SMD diodes, as well as through-hole diodes (Inside switches only)
- SMD and through-hole resistors for the LEDs
[1] Now there are three ways (That I am aware of) to setup the LEDs,
1. All in parallel, all LEDs connected to ground and power via transistor to control brightness and effect such as fading, reactive, etc. However this will not support individual control over each LED. Each LED would require its own resistor.
2. Series and parallel, like parallel but with 3 LEDs in series and groups like these in parallel. Less resistors required.
3. LED Matrix - The best method, LEDs in a Matrix like keys, requires large number of pins to controller, no individual resistor required, just one for each column.

I will go with the 1st, with the disadvantage that it would require a resistor for each LED and you can't control them individually as that would require another controller or expansion IC, since this is my first project, I want to take it easy and not sure if there is enough demand for individually controlled LEDs. Method 2 is just messy so i chose not to use it.

[2] Atleast the controller parts, so it is easy to manufacture with PnP and also keeps a lower profile, and I find things are more organised. There will be option of through-hole for things that may require changing such as diodes/resistors.

The blox
0. Central block - I plan to have a central 60% (Base) similar to the GH60 and similar flexibility in layouts, there will then be modules that can be connected using ribbon cables.
1. 5x3 block - This is the nav+arrow part on the Phantom, so you can have it in a traditional nav cluster and arrow or use the whole matrix, or something like on the terminal keyboards (Nav cluster and fours arrows with select keys in center). Can be installed on either side of the base. Now, when installing this module next to the base either as PCB mount or plate mounted, user can choose if they want to have it right next to the their base (No space between them) or with a 0.25u (u = 1 Cherry unit = 19.05mm = 0.75") gap like on a usual TKL board given the adequate mounting holes on the case and adequate plate.
2. 6(5)x2 block - 2x6 block with one row removable. This is  the 2x5 keys on the left on the 122-Terminal keyboard or KMAC-MINI. Again complete flexibility on which side and with how much gap one wants to maintain between the base and the module when installing it, since this is true for all modules, I will not be re-iterating it again for the other modules.
3. 6(5)x1 block - 1x6 block with one key removable. This is the 1x5 on the MX-MINI.
4. 1x15 block - Function row that will support 15x1 configuration as well as Esc & F1-F12. This will not have the Scroll Lock/Pause/Print Screen.
5. 1x3 block - These are the Scroll Lock/Pause/Print Screen keys.
6. 2x12 block - This is the 24 Function row from the 122-Terminal.
7. 5x4 block - Your numpad, will also have have the 2x keys on 0, +, Enter.
8. 1x4 block - This is for four keys above the numpad.

Interaction between blox

This is simple schematic of how things would connect
51924-0

I've started off easy with designing the 3x5, 2x5, 1x5 modules first, I will then move onto the other ones.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 06:15:36 by MOZ »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: GH100+ ???
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:12:14 »
Reserved

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:13:20 »
We're missing a GH80. A TKL PCB with full LED, SMD, usb port etc. Phantom is great but not perfect.

I'm going to try and learn how to design a PCB to try and make the above happen (but it ain't easy).

Can't say I'd use a GH100+ but I'm sure loads of people would.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:15:36 »
Why not!

Modular!  :thumb:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:20:08 »
We're missing a GH80. A TKL PCB with full LED, SMD, usb port etc. Phantom is great but not perfect.

I'm going to try and learn how to design a PCB to try and make the above happen (but it ain't easy).

I agree regarding the Phantom, what we need on it based on priority for me:
1. PCB Stabs (Way ahead of anything else)
3. Easily accesible USB connector
2. SMD
3. Integrated controller
4. LEDs

Did you notice that with this design we can have a GH60 as well as a GH80, since it is modular.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:37:46 »
Oh yeah PCB stabs and PCB-mount switch pin holes for sure. PCB stabs are the best :thumb:

And hold on.. I don't fully understand the modular concept. Are you telling me komar designed the GH60 so that you can simply add all this stuff on?
github

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:55:21 »
Oh yeah PCB stabs and PCB-mount switch pin holes for sure. PCB stabs are the best :thumb:

And hold on.. I don't fully understand the modular concept. Are you telling me komar designed the GH60 so that you can simply add all this stuff on?
There is some extension available on the current GH60, but not as much as we want for this case I think. However we can extend the current GH60, to make it as modular, since it is open source, as long as we give due credit to the original GH60 team, we should be fine.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 13:03:09 »
There is some extension available on the current GH60, but not as much as we want for this case I think. However we can extend the current GH60, to make it as modular, since it is open source, as long as we give due credit to the original GH60 team, we should be fine.
Ah I see.
github

Offline regack

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 13:10:22 »
I started working on a 77key layout, but I sort of dropped it when trying to work out some LED arrangements on one of my other projects... then I sort of disappeared into a black hole for about 6 months.

I'll have to keep an eye on this :D

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 13:22:24 »
I started working on a 77key layout, but I sort of dropped it when trying to work out some LED arrangements on one of my other projects... then I sort of disappeared into a black hole for about 6 months.

Show Image

I'll have to keep an eye on this :D

I hear you make beautiful PCBs :)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 13:53:53 »
For this GH100+ what would you guys think of the possibility of an orbweaver type module on the left side.  Say 4x3 or 4x4 matrix plus at least a couple thumb buttons IE mini ergo dox to the left of the alphanumerics.

This idea came from my wifes keyboard which is this but make the left side more cherry matrix friendly.  the rest of it seems to be a fairly standard 75% layout.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 13:57:46 »
For this GH100+ what would you guys think of the possibility of an orbweaver type module on the left side.  Say 4x3 or 4x4 matrix plus at least a couple thumb buttons IE mini ergo dox to the left of the alphanumerics.

This idea came from my wifes keyboard which is this but make the left side more cherry matrix friendly.  the rest of it seems to be a fairly standard 75% layout.

Would be possible and I can understand that gamers might appreciate this.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:33:38 »

I would be more into a GH80 than a GH100+ aswell
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:47:00 »

I would be more into a GH80 than a GH100+ aswell

I'm into neither, I am an ErgoDox person, but that is beside the point when trying to make something for the community.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:04:41 »
The interest for this is too damn low :(

Offline pasph

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 18:14:11 »
Interestred in regack's 77key, maybe in lefty version
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:19:35 »
i would be interested in this if i could find terminal sets for caps. the only descent set that comes to mind is the R4 SPH SA Terminal set. 

plus this community does seem to be obsessed with smaller and smaller boards (guilty as charged) or ergo.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:28:32 »
i would be interested in this if i could find terminal sets for caps. the only descent set that comes to mind is the R4 SPH SA Terminal set. 

plus this community does seem to be obsessed with smaller and smaller boards (guilty as charged) or ergo.

I am an ergo fan, but this is one for the collection.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 11:26:09 »
I'm not sure it's so much that the community is that fond of smaller keyboards that a large keyboard wouldn't sell.  It's probably more that there is more availability on full size keyboards.  Though I do like the idea of having even more keys for some customization.  It could come in handy for any number of things.

Now all we need is the GH keyboard similar to an MS Ergo and I'm set (ie. tented, single case, no thumb cluster, FX row, and all keys in their regular locations).

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:21:53 »
I'm not sure it's so much that the community is that fond of smaller keyboards that a large keyboard wouldn't sell.  It's probably more that there is more availability on full size keyboards.  Though I do like the idea of having even more keys for some customization.  It could come in handy for any number of things.

Now all we need is the GH keyboard similar to an MS Ergo and I'm set (ie. tented, single case, no thumb cluster, FX row, and all keys in their regular locations).
^^^ This
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 09:49:30 »
How did I miss this thread?

You mean something like this, that I designed a while back?

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 09:55:28 »
That is all together too many keys :))

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:12:23 »
How did I miss this thread?

You mean something like this, that I designed a while back?

Show Image

Is there even that many functions on a windoze PC without macro?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:14:04 »

Super serious gaming macros that you reach with your left elbow, while your feet are on some clicky pedals to make more macro combos.  Totally legit! :D
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:17:08 »

Super serious gaming macros that you reach with your left elbow, while your feet are on some clicky pedals to make more macro combos.  Totally legit! :D

Don't forget the switches that are on each side and behind your head.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:30:01 »
Haha, the idea is to have it modular, so you can make anything layout you want, a keyfest like the one jdcarpe posted or just keep it to a 60%, or a TKL, any layout one wants.

I know regack has been exploring on this front, I will be designing some PCBs myself this winter break after my exams, so I am extremely thankful to him for all his efforts so far.

BTW, I will try to design PCBs so they support MX as well as alps switches with Cherry PCB stabs.

Offline kektr0city

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:28:36 »
Is N-Key Rollover something that could be built into this kind of design?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:37:02 »
Hopefully yes.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:44:29 »
I want this:
47012-0
Plus full support for ISO and JIS, and additional modifiers arrangement like winkeyless and etc.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:45:38 »
When this gets done, it will support layouts like the GH60 and PCB mounted switches cause we know how much Ivan loves those.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:49:22 »
Yeah basically take the GH60 and add more switch on bottom row for proper JIS, and add the functions and numpad on the side. Done.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:49:40 »
I want this:
(Attachment Link)
Plus full support for ISO and JIS, and additional modifiers arrangement like winkeyless and etc.

Sorry, but you can only have this:

Bwahahahaha
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:50:52 »
That's ok too. :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:51:31 »
I want this:
(Attachment Link)

Sorry, but you can only have this:

Show Image

Bwahahahaha

why not wireless modules....that could all be rearranged on the desk?

Offline thegagne

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:16:03 »
Ok, taking another stab at the modular idea...

Does the ATmega32u4 support that kind of idea? What are it's limitations? Assuming the GH60 is not a suitable host in it's current revision, could it be revised into say, GH60+ to be extensible with ribbon cables? Or maybe each module has it's own controller, and you simply use a USB hub to connect them all?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:40:24 »
Still a lot to do. The two ideas are:
1. Separate controller on each module and some way to have them connected to a base module and recognize each module with a unique ID
2. Base module and then using I2C and I/O controller like the Ergodox.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:23:40 »
interesting
+1 to modularity
+1 to I2C
I promissed to myself to finish my own projects before asking to help in any other initiative ...
gosh!!!
kinda swamped here
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:25:11 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline justnits

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 23:06:57 »
I want this:
(Attachment Link)
+1 for this! except the Function keys are grey too for the AT feel  ;D
sometimes, i wonder if we are going backwards...
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: Blox - Modular Keyboard
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 06:17:16 »
Thanks to regack who is helping me learn PCB designing, this project is a go. I've also changed the name to Blox.

Updated the OP with new information. Feedback, critic, suggestions, corrections, assistance are more than welcome. :D

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 06:20:30 »
I want this:
(Attachment Link)

This with Pure mods would be my dream.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 06:23:33 »
I want this:
(Attachment Link)

This with Pure mods would be my dream.

Hmm, let's see, 5x2--Base--Numpad, TADA!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 06:27:16 »
I don't know whether people will "get it" or not. But I love it! So exited that this is finally coming together, MOZ. :D

in memoriam

Offline moonexe

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 06:40:29 »
I want... A tenkeyless G80-like layout. So I can make custom cases and be awesome. :D

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:01:33 »
I don't know whether people will "get it" or not. But I love it! So exited that this is finally coming together, MOZ. :D

By "get it", do you mean:
1. Lack of clear information, if this, I am willing to sort out any doubts
2. This project will reach fruition, I can't comment on this, but I will give it my best shot
3. Buy it, well it will be an open source project and a GB or anything of that sort is the last thing on my mind
4. Understand the concept, which I think is most likely what you meant, the crowd on GH is one of the most intelligent I've seen, so they should. In case they don't, remember, in one way we are working at "unit" level with this project, so once all the blox are done, we can easily combine them onto one PCB, without any problem at all and have that design ready for production; just like computers, those that "get it", assemble their own system as it offers more choice and is generally superior and customised, those that do not, buy preassembled ones.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:05:12 »

By "get it", do you mean:
1. Lack of clear information, if this, I am willing to sort out any doubts
2. This project will reach fruition, I can't comment on this, but I will give it my best shot
3. Buy it, well it will be an open source project and a GB or anything of that sort is the last thing on my mind
4. Understand the concept, which I think is most likely what you meant, the crowd on GH is one of the most intelligent I've seen, so they should. In case they don't, remember, in one way we are working at "unit" level with this project, so once all the blox are done, we can easily combine them onto one PCB, without any problem at all and have that design ready for production; just like computers, those that "get it", assemble their own system as it offers more choice and is generally superior and customised, those that do not, buy preassembled ones.

So your going to make all the different case options to go with all possible combinations :eek:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:32:06 »
So your going to make all the different case options to go with all possible combinations :eek:

Never.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:39:03 »
So your going to make all the different case options to go with all possible combinations :o

Never.

So without cases, whats the point? :(

Offline moonexe

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:45:06 »

Make it! that's half the fun! :p

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:58:41 »

Will make for the common ones ;)

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 19:19:47 »
Hi MOZ,

Before you go too far down this road you should evaluate
the scan rate you'll be able to achieve over I2C. With the
I2C I/O eXpander (IOX) @100kHz in my 5-row switch
matrix I'm only able to complete a scan every ~5.2ms.

If you have 3 IOXs and end up at a 15ms scan rate...
well I don't think that's fast enough. You'll have to see
if you've added too much capacitance with 6 connectors
, 3 cables, and 3 slaves to run at 400kHz - which is the
max that the 32U4 supports.

Maybe you'll end up deciding that the 32u4 isn't an option,
instead opting for a micro with more I2C busses, or more
I/O pins so that you can have one matrix and connect your
blox with ribbons rather than I2C...

Regarding lighting:  The reason to stack 3 LEDs in series
with one resistor is that you might be able to drive all 3
with the same 10mA rather than using 30mA to do the job.
no big deal either way if you only have 3 total, but if you
have 60, then you've used too much current for normal
USB if each is driven individually.

You should also consider the AS1130:
http://www.ams.com/eng/content/view/download/13457

and possibly the WS2812: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11821
for lighting solutions as this would be hugely flexible...