Author Topic: Where can Leopold FC660C's or HHKB's be easily purchased in CANADA?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline ViciousWhiskers

I'm interested in trying out Topres, but elitekeyboards shipping is insanely high for me (in USD too :( ), so I'm not sure if it's really worth it to buy from elitekeyboards, pay for that near 40$ shipping, plus import customs taxes...
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: Where can Leopold FC660C's or HHKB's be easily purchased in CANADA?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 23:16:09 »
I'm interested in trying out Topres, but elitekeyboards shipping is insanely high for me (in USD too :( ), so I'm not sure if it's really worth it to buy from elitekeyboards, pay for that near 40$ shipping, plus import customs taxes...

That was my experience as well.  I ended up getting my FC660C off someone in the classifieds.  I looked for both of those boards in Canada and found basically nothing...

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 23:38:54 »
Doubt they will ever be sold in Canada.

The best hope is actually for the cm novatouch.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 23:58:39 »
This guy is selling a printed one in Canada. Don't know if you want it with the dyesub coming out, but... http://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/23gnfw/wtscanada_leopold_fc660c_brand_new/
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline sonano

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:13:36 »
This guy is selling a printed one in Canada. Don't know if you want it with the dyesub coming out, but... http://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/23gnfw/wtscanada_leopold_fc660c_brand_new/

That's my post actually, thanks for reminding me. I decided to keep it since I got no offers and didn't feel like paying tons for the dyesub from EK.

To the OP, I found that buying directly from Japan was the cheapest method next to classifieds. If you use a buying service like Tenso or fromjapan they can mark down the parcel value to avoid import fees/taxes.

You won't save much on the FC660C through this method but at least you won't have to pay any extras on delivery. For the HHKB though, it's a lot cheaper, the total will be about ¥25000/$275CAD shipped, and ¥33000/$360CAD for a Type-S. If you're patient you can check Yahoo auctions too, I saw a Type-S sell for ¥18000 last week.

However, I would also wait for the Novatouch if a TKL format is fine with you. It'll be much easier to find in Canada when it releases.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 02:25:28 »
Thanks for this info. I bought my HHKB Lite from EliteKeyboards, and wow did it end up being expensive to ship up here. I'd love to find a cheaper way to get an HHKB.

Offline lunr

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 02:47:39 »
I got dinged around $40 for custom fees when I bought my 55g 87U. Since our currency exchange rate with the USD stinks, the best bet is to buy it overseas or just wait for novatouch. I don't think you'll save a lot of money buying from overseas but you'll save some.