Author Topic: Acrylic Tenkeyless Keyboard Cases  (Read 29817 times)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Acrylic Tenkeyless Keyboard Cases
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 15:57:15 »
I might plunge into it (lazer cutter/3d printer). But its still costly. And I'm not made of money.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 20:11:57 »
That company I linked to (Full Spectrum) implemented a printer driver for their units.  You can actually "print" in rastor (burn an image) or vector (cut through the material) mode even from MS Word.

[video=youtube_share;nyYY_uIXy-A]http://youtu.be/nyYY_uIXy-A[/video]
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 17:04:09 »
Sorry for not posting any update for a while.  This work thing and Phantom Group Buy really got in the way :-).  I have made a couple of small adjustments last week.  I need to make one more change and need to confirm it before I kick this off.  

If you received PM from me previously that confirmed your spot, you are in.

Thanks for your patience.

Offline two4teezee

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 17:32:42 »
The black case in the original post has to be one of the coolest I've ever seen.

Offline litster

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 18:00:30 »
You mean the one with recessed screws and nuts?  It does look really nice.  But the problem is with recessed screws and nuts, the screws and nuts can't apply pressure to the top and bottom layers to screw the case together.  So it would require gluing layers together, which would incur more expensive manual labor.  I might do an even smaller batch of that design in the future.  Probably not...

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 19:37:59 »
Quote from: litster;505619
If you received PM from me previously that confirmed your spot, you are in.

Thanks for your patience.

What!? I thought I was customer#1 but I didn't get a PM. Who do I have to sleep with? :sleep:
Keyboardless

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 19:38:59 »
Quote from: tsangan;501781
Makerbot is so damn cool, I almost plunged to just to get one, you see the small cupcakes and the companion cubes they made?

Buy a Makerbot and make your own keycaps!!
Keyboardless

Offline litster

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 19:51:51 »
mmmty, you are in.  Don't worry.  :-)  You only need to sleep with me if you are a hot woman wearing nothing but 3 keycaps!

I looked into Makerbot.  Even the newer, larger version is not large enough to print a keyboard in one piece.  Potentially I could design it into left and right pieces and glue them together, but that would probably look pretty awful.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 20:39:42 »
Quote from: litster;505766
mmmty, you are in.  Don't worry.  :-)  You only need to sleep with me if you are a hot woman wearing nothing but 3 keycaps!

I looked into Makerbot.  Even the newer, larger version is not large enough to print a keyboard in one piece.  Potentially I could design it into left and right pieces and glue them together, but that would probably look pretty awful.

You could glue them together, but require some working afterwards to make it look like one piece. But then you'd have to also worry about how strong that seam is.

Quote from: mmmty;505749
Buy a Makerbot and make your own keycaps!!

I am so close to using Uni's Robotic club's Makerbot. They just got it working again I think.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 20:49:21 »
Quote from: litster;505766

By default, it certainly can't.  I saw an interview with the company owner, who insisted (upon the interviewer's remark about its project size limitation) that it could easily be modded to do longer items.  No details on what that mod entailed, though.  He also mentioned some user had added two extra extruders, for a total of 4.  Not sure how difficult that was either.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 21:07:50 »
Thanks, litster. I knew I could count on you. Too bad I'm not a girl :nono:

So, is a keycap too small for a Makerbot to make? Or it just can't make something as big as a full size keyboard. Maybe a Poker size?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 39291[/ATTACH]
Keyboardless

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 21:14:27 »
Quote from: mmmty;505848
Thanks, litster. I knew I could count on you. Too bad I'm not a girl :nono:

So, is a keycap too small for a Makerbot to make? Or it just can't make something as big as a full size keyboard. Maybe a Poker size?

(Attachment Link) 39291[/ATTACH]

From what I've asked at the club, they think it's possible. What they extrude is thin enough to make the stem,etc. But It will always need some work afterwards to make it smooth and stuff.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 21:20:14 »
You can carve the keycaps out by hand a little after them come out of the Makerbot. Half machine half man - cyborg keycaps.
Keyboardless

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 21:20:47 »
Quote from: mmmty;505862
You can carve the keycaps out by hand a little after them come out of the Makerbot. Half machine half man - cyborg keycaps.

I would If i was making them. Probably just a nice sanding.

Offline DrSchlock

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 23:27:51 »
Those are really nice cases. Makes me wish I bought a phantom board.

Offline biolaser

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 00:26:17 »
I knew litster made a custom phantom case thread somewhere, and my luck is such that I find it after the first wave of buys is closed. Well, I guess it isn't a bad thing I missed out because I would be looking for the 7bit layout with no separations between the function keys. I know I could just cut up the body, but I dunno how to pull something like that off cleanly. I don't want to end up mutilating such a great looking case.
Choc Mini, QFR, Poker (MX Red) | Realforce 86U(v), 91UBK(v), 103UB(55) | AT101W | ABS M1 | Blue MJ2 (MX Brown) | Das Pro S (MX Blue)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 09:59:11 »
Quote from: biolaser;506098
I knew litster made a custom phantom case thread somewhere, and my luck is such that I find it after the first wave of buys is closed. Well, I guess it isn't a bad thing I missed out because I would be looking for the 7bit layout with no separations between the function keys. I know I could just cut up the body, but I dunno how to pull something like that off cleanly. I don't want to end up mutilating such a great looking case.

Saw -> File -> Sand -> Brasso

Makes it really smooth.

Offline DrSchlock

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 15:23:28 »
Litster, would you consider releasing the case parts dimensions and your bill of materials?

Offline trax

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:21:01 »
Quote from: DrSchlock;506603
Litster, would you consider releasing the case parts dimensions and your bill of materials?
He wont.
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline biolaser

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:58:07 »
Quote from: hazeluff;506363
Saw -> File -> Sand -> Brasso

Makes it really smooth.

In that case, count me in for the next round of cases!
Choc Mini, QFR, Poker (MX Red) | Realforce 86U(v), 91UBK(v), 103UB(55) | AT101W | ABS M1 | Blue MJ2 (MX Brown) | Das Pro S (MX Blue)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:03:22 »
Quote from: biolaser;506872
In that case, count me in for the next round of cases!

I don't guarantee anything with my method. But its what i did in woodshop (?) before.

Offline biolaser

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:40:55 »
The only sanding I've done is on some wood for furniture finishing and metal for lapping heat sinks and a computer case mod.. wasn't sure whether the same methods would work for acrylic. Perhaps if I'm lucky, I will find some acrylic somewhere (likely a dumpster) and experiment with it!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:48:32 »
Quote from: biolaser;506923
The only sanding I've done is on some wood for furniture finishing and metal for lapping heat sinks and a computer case mod.. wasn't sure whether the same methods would work for acrylic. Perhaps if I'm lucky, I will find some acrylic somewhere (likely a dumpster) and experiment with it!

Its pretty much the same thing. Its just brasso gives you that extra step if you want smoother than sanded surface. I reckon with a decently fine sand paper you can get pretty nice.

Offline biolaser

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:04:48 »
Quote from: hazeluff;506932
Its pretty much the same thing. Its just brasso gives you that extra step if you want smoother than sanded surface. I reckon with a decently fine sand paper you can get pretty nice.

More similar to metal than wood I guess, since for lapping heat sinks, you want to go at least to 800 grit, if up to 1500 or 2000. I'm not so sure about the Brasso, though. I suspect it would cause the acrylic to craze.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:09:25 »
Quote from: biolaser;506946
More similar to metal than wood I guess, since for lapping heat sinks, you want to go at least to 800 grit, if up to 1500 or 2000. I'm not so sure about the Brasso, though. I suspect it would cause the acrylic to craze.

I did it before. Its good, but be careful of getting it round the edge and on the surface. Put a small amount on a cloth (no dripping) and like use your finger to support it and only rub the edge. But given that this is on the inside of the case and not very visible. You might just op to just sand it down.

Offline biolaser

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:17:04 »
Hmm if it worked for you, then I'll give it a try! Are you planning on doing the same thing? I think maybe you also went with the 7bit layout, right?

Offline litster

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:38:49 »
LOL!  I don't know if you guys are thread-crapping, or just want to give me free bumps!  :-)

Anyhow, this group buy is closed.  But I might have more coming available later.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:40:46 »
Quote from: litster;506976
LOL!  I don't know if you guys are thread-crapping, or just want to give me free bumps!  :-)

Anyhow, this group buy is closed.  But I might have more coming available later.

We're having a discussion, and your thing is closed anyway. Not trying to thread-crap. Sorry ><

Biolaser: I'm getting a "7bit" layout, but I haven't decided on a case yet. I really like this acrylic case, but I don't know if I want to spend this much.

Offline litster

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:46:57 »
Okay, so you guys are just giving me free bumps.  I thought it is kind of off-topic, talking about sawing and sanding metal and wood on an acrylic keyboard case thread.  :-)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:51:32 »
Quote from: litster;506984
Okay, so you guys are just giving me free bumps.  I thought it is kind of off-topic, talking about sawing and sanding metal and wood on an acrylic keyboard case thread.  :-)

Oh, it was all about cutting down that area under the home cluster and above the arrow keys. Someone brought up they have sanded some wood/metal. But the general topic is modding your TKL case to 7bit layout. Tho I think you sohuld just see if you can get enough people to get 7bit.

Offline biolaser

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:54:39 »
Quote from: hazeluff;506980
Biolaser: I'm getting a "7bit" layout, but I haven't decided on a case yet. I really like this acrylic case, but I don't know if I want to spend this much.

I thought the same: you could get a regular Filco for this price. But on the other hand, it is a limited edition acrylic case for a limited edition board. I was debating for a while but the latter consideration won. I'm going all out for this board. One sad looking bank account coming up!

Quote from: litster;506984

Yeah, sorry about polluting your thread. Just wondering what the best method would be to modify one of your cool-looking acrylic cases to fit the 7bit function row and under the 6-pack without mutilating the case... yes this:

Quote from: hazeluff;506987
Oh, it was all about cutting down that area under the home cluster and above the arrow keys. Someone brought up they have sanded some wood/metal. But the general topic is modding your TKL case to 7bit layout. Tho I think you sohuld just see if you can get enough people to get 7bit.

Offline litster

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:56:45 »
No problem.  Cut that section out is fairly easy.  I already made a top layer for the 7BIT layout.  I just don't want to make a separate batch of 7BIT top layers.  Cutting and sanding the regular top layer would ruin it.  You can make it work, but without lasercutting it, your cut edge would be all rough, and you risk cracking it.  

Whereas lasercutting doesn't have that effect.  In fact laser-cut edge is shiny and smooth, called.  Otherwise you would have to do flaming polishing on the cut edge, which is hard to get it right.  It would be very hard to cut that section out after the fact without hating the result afterward.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:00:03 by litster »

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:59:57 »
Quote from: litster;506990
No problem.  Cut that section out is fairly easy.  I already made a top layer for the 7BIT layout.  I just don't want to make a separate batch of 7BIT top layers.  Cutting and sanding the regular top layer would ruin it.  You can make it work, but without lasercutting it, your cut edge would be all rough, and you risk cracking it.  

Whereas lasercutting doesn't have that effect.  In fact laser-cut edge is shiny and smooth.  It would be very hard to cut that section out after the fact without hating the result afterward.

Well ok, But I want to see 7bit top layered one at some point.

Offline biolaser

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:05:48 »
I guess until the 7bit layout acrylic case becomes part of a group buy, I will be making and using a custom cardboard case :)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:09:02 »
Quote from: biolaser;507002
I guess until the 7bit layout acrylic case becomes part of a group buy, I will be making and using a custom cardboard case :)

I'm thinking of one made of mountain dew cans.

Offline biolaser

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:21:58 »
Quote from: hazeluff;507008
I'm thinking of one made of mountain dew cans.

That would be quite the unique case, if it were feasible... would make for some nice pics.

Offline litster

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 02:53:06 »
I might have a small number of cases available after the initial reserved units.  PM me if you are interested in getting one.

Offline Goly

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 10:30:15 »
Hi

I ordered one in Deskthority and I ordered as a gift for mi gf birthday, its the 25 of this month... I have any possiblity to get it at that time?

cheers

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 11:05:07 »
Payment sent. Goodbye money, hello acrylic cases. :wave:
Keyboardless

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 16:44:51 »
Quote from: mmmty;508248
Payment sent. Goodbye money, hello acrylic cases. :wave:

What color did you get? I had to go with bulls colors!

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 19:00:18 »
Both colors. Might sell the one I don't like as much but probably keep both.
Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 19:03:28 »
Quote from: Goly;507314
Hi

I ordered one in Deskthority and I ordered as a gift for mi gf birthday, its the 25 of this month... I have any possiblity to get it at that time?

cheers

from my understanding.. you're looking at next month at the earliest.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline litster

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 19:40:25 »
I hope it will be sooner than later.  :-)

Offline litster

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 13:18:44 »
Turned out it was really quick.  Local shop that I can drive to FTW!

Now it is still going to do some magic to make it Filco compatible.  It is going to take me all weekend if not longer.  I still have hardware parts arriving on Tuesday.  After that, I need to put every case together, and then figure out a good and efficient way to pack these.  Then print some labels, lots of tapes, trips to the post office, etc, etc.  So I won't be able to ship these out for at least another couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, Hopefully I will have time to post pictures as I go.  

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 13:21:12 »
Can't wait!!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 14:00:31 »
^ Me too!  I just wanna see some pics the the final products. =P

Sent from iPhone
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline byFd

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 14:37:16 »
do you still have extras? probably not but i tought i ask xD
looking nice!
White Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless MX Browns
White Noppoo Choc Mini MX Reds
KBC Poker X MX Reds

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 15:02:12 »
Very creative. I like the layered approach for these cases.

Offline litster

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 15:36:14 »
Quote from: byFd;518023
do you still have extras? probably not but i tought i ask xD
looking nice!

I still have a couple of each color combo available.  Most of them are paid for already.

Offline litster

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 17:52:52 »
Ragnorock is organizing a group buy of a set of red on black 87-key set with an add-on kit for Phantom (1.5x modifiers and 1x diamond keys).  Also available is a 104 add-on set. There is also an ISO add-on kit if it reaches 15 orders.

I think this set would look pretty good with my black+red acrylic cases.

Link here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?27473-quot-Ragnarok-quot-Doubleshot-Red-on-Black-87-104-Keyset-Order-Thread-TAKING-ORDERS