Author Topic: Ordering from onlinecomponents  (Read 6731 times)

Offline bloodygood

Ordering from onlinecomponents
« on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 15:37:53 »
I was just getting ready to place an order with onlinecomponents.com but it looks like they mainly or only ship to businesses. Since I do not have a business location to ship to, is there some way to get a shipment from them to a residential location? As I haven't ordered through them before I was hoping someone who has might have some advice. I have a small order mainly for a test project I have coming up for this Christmas, keeping the details a surprise until then.
Any help or recommendations are appreciated.

Note: I sent them an email already asking if they would be able to ship residentially and they have not responded, it has been a few days since I sent it.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 15:39:51 »
Why not just claim you are a from-home business? I have done that a few times. Also, I am a Duke.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 15:47:06 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;441323
Why not just claim you are a from-home business? I have done that a few times. Also, I am a Duke.
Wouldn't I still need a wholesale license that many require to order from them? If I was a from home business and I had that, then I probably could, I am not sure if they require that or not. Also it requires a business name, did you just make something up then?
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 15:49:01 »
Quote from: bloodygood;441329
Wouldn't I still need a wholesale license that many require to order from them? If I was a from home business and I had that, then I probably could, I am not sure if they require that or not. Also it requires a business name, did you just make something up then?

I haven't ordered from them specifically so I am not sure about the Wholesale Licence requirement. I have in the past had companies require that I, too, be a business and include a name/address for that business so I just claimed home-business and named myself something pertaining to my actual real name.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 15:51:05 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;441332
I haven't ordered from them specifically so I am not sure about the Wholesale Licence requirement. I have in the past had companies require that I, too, be a business and include a name/address for that business so I just claimed home-business and named myself something pertaining to my actual real name.
I will keep that in mind then, but I want to wait and hear if anyone who has ordered from them will respond to this thread and perhaps that will clear up any questions for sure.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 18:00:42 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;441323
Note that this is sometimes illegal.

Why onlinecomponents? If you only need a few, pester the company for samples. Otherwise, Mouser/digikey/farnell (element14, etc) or allied should have most things)

I'd wait on the e-mail response before doing anything major, though. If in doubt, call.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 18:22:32 »
The one main reason is that I can't find one particular part anywhere else. I am trying to get MX1A31NN or MX1A31NW which they appear to have the N version. (toggle-able mx switch) I also mentioned I was looking for this in the classified section but no responses so far.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 22:51:56 »
Ah, I see.

Well, I'd recommending calling. I know at my work, we much prefer calling customers than e-mail, though it depends on the company (and it's size). I'm surprised they stock such an uncommon switch.

If that doesn't work out. it looks like they can be sourced elsewhere:
http://www.masterdistributors.com/search.cfm?part_number=MX1A31NN

(other companies have quote request forms, and are unlikely to sell in limited quantities)
http://www.xsmicro.com/rfq.php?pn=MX1A-31NN&mfr=CHERRY
http://www.o2xygen.com/parts/MX1A31NN.htm

Finally: Have you tried to just buy them from their webstore. I know that other places mainly ship to businesses (So you may want to pick it up at work) but that doesn't mean that they won't ship to residential addresses at all. Lots of places that have stock and also show prices (so you don't have to get a quote) do so, to they can sell to anyone interested.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 23:15:39 »
Thank you for the response. if you click the sourced link it links back to onlinecomponents where the stock is as it says 38. The quote requests as you said are not likely to get any motion if I am not ordering say 500+ of them (and I kind of doubt I can get 500 people on here interested for a groupbuy) or even 50 people wanting 10 each. It is a switch that is used I believe as the equivalent of the old "Shift Lock" key. It was when I tried going through placing the order that I got to the second and third screens say:
Phone number: Ext.: *
Company Name: *
*required
Since my phone wouldn't have an extension that is a partial give away, then the required company name was the kicker.

I can definitely try giving them a call if I don't hear back by mid-day monday.

Offline flyball

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 00:17:38 »
any reason why you aren't trying jameco/mouser/digikey
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 00:20:44 »
Quote from: flyball;441625
any reason why you aren't trying jameco/mouser/digikey
If you can find MX1A31NN or MX1A31NW on any of those then please let me know. i have already checked and it wasn't there.

Offline flyball

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 00:33:02 »
Quote from: bloodygood;441626
If you can find MX1A31NN or MX1A31NW on any of those then please let me know. i have already checked and it wasn't there.
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/MX1A-E1NW/CH197-ND/20180
they use the part numbers from http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 00:44:06 »
Quote from: flyball;441633
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/MX1A-E1NW/CH197-ND/20180
they use the part numbers from http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm
Yes, yes they do, and that is not the switch I asked about. That is a 3 not an E. the switch looks like this.
Black with grey upper housing: alternate action, 60cN, MX1A-3

This switch appears to act like the ALPS capslock switch, as it incorporates a latching mechanism. Toggles state each time it's pressed (aka push-on, push-off).

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 00:49:30 »
Quote from: bloodygood;441639
Yes, yes they do, and that is not the switch I asked about. That is a 3 not an E. the switch looks like this.
Black with grey upper housing: alternate action, 60cN, MX1A-3
Show Image

This switch appears to act like the ALPS capslock switch, as it incorporates a latching mechanism. Toggles state each time it's pressed (aka push-on, push-off).

what is the price per unit if > 100
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 00:52:45 »
Quote from: cactux;441641
what is the price per unit if > 100
The website only has 38 in stock. http://www.onlinecomponents.com/cherry-electrical_mx1a31nn.html?p=11075424 link to all information I have from them. I really just want 1. $11.32 each (buying 1-49). Afterall this is a Toggle on/off switch, not to be used for typing unless a replacement for "capslock" with a literal shiftlock. which is a good use of it.

Oops sorry list of prices from site
1-49 :   $11.32
50-99 :   $9.08
100-499 :   $7.38
500-999 :   $6.80
1000-1999 :   $6.35
2000-4999 :   $5.88
5000 + :   $5.68
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 October 2011, 00:58:19 by bloodygood »

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 01:55:27 »
^ thanks
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline flyball

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 02:10:29 »
Quote from: bloodygood;441604
Thank you for the response. if you click the sourced link it links back to onlinecomponents where the stock is as it says 38. The quote requests as you said are not likely to get any motion if I am not ordering say 500+ of them (and I kind of doubt I can get 500 people on here interested for a groupbuy) or even 50 people wanting 10 each. It is a switch that is used I believe as the equivalent of the old "Shift Lock" key. It was when I tried going through placing the order that I got to the second and third screens say:
Phone number: Ext.: *
Company Name: *
*required
Since my phone wouldn't have an extension that is a partial give away, then the required company name was the kicker.

I can definitely try giving them a call if I don't hear back by mid-day monday.

it looks like you can just type in a phone number without an extension. put home for the company name or something.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 11:07:49 »
Quote from: flyball;441661
it looks like you can just type in a phone number without an extension. put home for the company name or something.
I would still think that using "Home" would qualify as falsifying their order sheet. But since I do not know, and I still plan on calling them on Monday, I will update with what I find out, so that others know too.

Offline Dox

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 12:38:05 »
I just ordered 2 of those switches. I put my name in the Company Name field and you don't need to put anything in the extension field.
I did that before when I ordered from them last time.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 12:50:40 »
Quote from: Dox;441831
I just ordered 2 of those switches. I put my name in the Company Name field and you don't need to put anything in the extension field.
I did that before when I ordered from them last time.
Thank you for the reply! I am glad to know someone has done it before, I plan on placing my order that way then. Thank you again.

Edit: Order Placed!
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 October 2011, 13:45:31 by bloodygood »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 12:53:14 »
Looks like they don't really care that much about company. I'm sure it's for some sort of records keeping or some such.

I may want to order one, if I ever get enough time to DIY-up a keyboard.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 13:14:53 »
Quote from: dorkvader;441841
Looks like they don't really care that much about company. I'm sure it's for some sort of records keeping or some such.

I may want to order one, if I ever get enough time to DIY-up a keyboard.
For now it will be for my project for Christmas, but after that i will be using it in a Dox KB. Very interested in developing my own layout as shown in the HHKB thread I started.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 15:41:02 »
Hmm, are you plate-mounting? If so, where are you sourcing the plate?

I really want a plate/case design, and I have a few good ideas for achieving it, but I just don't know where I can get the plate punched. Maybe I'll borrow the punch at the university here and do it myself.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 16:01:19 »
Quote from: dorkvader;441918
Hmm, are you plate-mounting? If so, where are you sourcing the plate?

I really want a plate/case design, and I have a few good ideas for achieving it, but I just don't know where I can get the plate punched. Maybe I'll borrow the punch at the university here and do it myself.
I would recommend asking over at the Dox post. http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:19227&do=comments There are many people there working on the same thing, I am still trying to source all the parts myself. Yes I will be plate-mounting also.

Offline Dox

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 17:31:41 »
I just got my switches! I'm gonna open one and take pictures* later.

*crappy cell pics

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 17:43:46 »
Quote from: Dox;445131
I just got my switches! I'm gonna open one and take pictures* later.

*crappy cell pics
Oh awesome I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. Mine won't be here until Monday -very disappointed-

Offline Dox

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 20:49:35 »
Crappy pictures as promised.  The spring in the switches are stiffer then clear spring, they feel much nicer with blue spring in them.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 20:59:18 »
Quote from: Dox;445194
Crappy pictures as promised.  The spring in the switches are stiffer then clear spring, they feel much nicer with blue spring in them.
Considering they are a sort of single press key, I would think they do not necessarily need to be the softest click. But I can see what you mean as far as using a lighter spring since those look absolutely high pressure. From what I can tell from the picture, it has a 3 prong ring that spins each time the key is pressed and that activates the on off function? They do look quite nice and it is good to know that they are easy to disassemble like any other mx switch. Can you tell if it is possible to swap the upper housing+spring with any other switch, or is it a one piece one function kind of keyswitch. They do look awesome and I didn't know that they stayed literally pressed down in the on position, I had thought they was a internal toggle not the whole stem, very impressive design.
For the sake of asking, do you have any plans as far as what you want to do with your switches? i had a feeling that since you bought two you might have some interesting idea up your sleeve.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 November 2011, 21:04:14 by bloodygood »

Offline Dox

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 21:20:12 »
Yes that's right on how the switch activate. The parts of the switches (except the spring) are not interchangeable with standard cherry switches.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30778[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30779[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30780[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure about what I'm gonna do with those yet but something like a toggle function layer for a numpad or mouse keys could be useful.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 22:29:13 »
Quote from: Dox;445206
Yes that's right on how the switch activate. The parts of the switches (except the spring) are not interchangeable with standard cherry switches.
(Attachment Link) 30778[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 30779[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 30780[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure about what I'm gonna do with those yet but something like a toggle function layer for a numpad or mouse keys could be useful.
That just blew my mind. I think 1 shift lock and 1 Fn lock is an absolutely genius idea. I now know I will be ordering a second one in the near future for my future Fox keyboard. Thank you very much for the thorough Mod article. This is definitely going to be an awesome project.
The main reason I had wondered if they could be swapped was to see if they could be swapped into PCB mounted switches since I can't find any suppliers for that version, but that is okay Plate mounted only is more ideal for a custom keyboard anyway. Thank you very much for your findings, this was definitely a good idea to look in to.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 November 2011, 22:31:29 by bloodygood »

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:11:41 »
I got my shipment in last night. 2 blue, 2 black, 2 clear, 1 shift-lock. Based on using those and my brown switches in my Filco, and swapping a blue spring into a black and vice-versa I have come up with my opinions of all the switches. Rating in order that I would be willing to purchase them.
1. Brown - Tactile with a nice light force, perfect for typing all day and even gaming during breaks.
2. Blue - Tactile very similar to brown but the click is just a little too much for me while not wearing my headphones.
3. Clear with brown/blue spring, I will say that the tactile feel is actually a lot lighter than expected. Not as light as browns, but definitely not as harsh as clears with the clear spring. Comfortable enough that if you have the money for this mod I would recommend it. (i.e buying clear stems for your brown or blue switches)
4. Blue with black spring actually felt kind of good, and if you haven't tried it I highly recommend it just so you know for yourself.
5. Red - Linear which is nice for someone coming from a rubber dome, but I really can't say I would like them for typing on for longer than an hour.
6. Clear - Very tactile, in fact a little too much. While I think they are a nice switch for heavy finger typists, I think it might lead to a little finger strain under long sessions.
7. Black - Linear and a much stronger force than reds, I know some people prefer it for gaming but I just do not feel any connection with them, they feel rather lifeless without even a little tactile bump right at the end of the key press.
8. Blue with clear spring, how can I put this lightly it feels like a on/off switch, if you like playing arcade games then I would say this is your closest match.

With that said I am very happy that Mx brown ended up being my first and probably only choice for switches. I do know it would be possible to sort of glue/stick blue stems but I feel like that ruins the keyboard in that it would have almost no re-sale value. I think I may some day try it with the two blue switches I ordered. Glue one all the way up, the other all the way down, and see which result feels more comfortable.

In an unrelated note, does anyone know why my 3mm LED's won't fit into the socket for 3mm LED's in the key switches? I have a feeling that I am supposed to find 3mm LED's smaller or something. (3mm at the top, 3.9mm at the widest ring just before the leads)
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:49:12 by bloodygood »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:25:17 »
I don't see ergo clear (clear w/ brown spring) in your list.  Did you try it and what was your impression?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:35:18 »
Quote from: alaricljs;448077
I don't see ergo clear (clear w/ brown spring) in your list.  Did you try it and what was your impression?
I unfortunately don't have any brown switches at the moment that aren't soldered into my keyboard, but if brown and blue use the same spring then I could swap one in right now and test it.

Updated the previous post to show my findings.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:49:59 by bloodygood »

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:52:01 »
Quote from: ripster;448085
ALPS has an equivalent On/Off lock switch.  Both types with more pics are in the Wikis.
*snip*
*snip*
Thank you for that, that is where I got the original inspiration to buy the switch, although I didn't find all the pictures I was looking for at the time. It seemed like a good idea to not only mention where to buy it, but to get the word out since it is a great switch for those making custom keyboards or modding their own.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 14:22:01 »
Quote from: ripster;448103
I didn't follow the whole thread.

Did you order Browns too?

EDIT:  Looks like it's special order.  Bummer.  Still looking for a good source to add to the wiki.

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/cherry-electrical_mx1ag1dw.html?p=11075434
Actually you didn't have to follow the whole thread, it is at the very top of this exact page. "2 blue, 2 black, 2 clear, 1 shift-lock."
They don't always have everything in stock but they had enough for me to get what I was looking for. By the way this is a better link for the Wiki.
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/KeywordSearch.aspx?Text=mx1a%20cherry&Page=1 searches for all things starting with "MX1A" which are all cherry switches.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 12:14:02 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2012, 12:33:34 by keyboardlover »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 08:10:40 »
Apparently the Dutch aren't too fond of it. GLWNT.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 12:48:06 »
Quote from: Dox;445206
(Attachment Link) 30778[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 30779[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 30780[/ATTACH]

Do you know if the lower-shells are interchangable?
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX