Author Topic: Logitech G502  (Read 25570 times)

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

Logitech G502
« on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 22:56:45 »
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse

As a owner of 2x Logitech G600's & 1x Logitech G602

I want this mice. I've never had any significant issues with numerous Logitech mice, so I'm more than amped.

=D

Also have used many Razer mice and ended up with numerous issues with Razer where I've sworn off their mice.

But new mice, new features, improved ergonomics.

What do you folks think?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Logitech G502
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 22:59:38 »
I need this. I love my Logitech mice to bits and I've also got a fondness for mice I can tinker with. I defo need to get this.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 00:44:40 »
I am a fan of logitech mice but I would liked to see some kind of adjustability of the length of the mouse(altough it seems like logitech dosent like that).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 00:46:52 »
I'm a razer user, but I really do want to try this mouse out. I loved my g9, but when it died within warranty and logitech basically told me to go **** myself, I went razer and never looked back (no regrets either). Seriously can't wait to get an opportunity to test one of these.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 01:24:45 »
I'm a fan of Logitech customer support.
Probably the best in the peripheral business.

I really want to see what sensor this baby uses.
It's got the DELTA ZERO!!!

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 03:32:48 »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 04:07:37 »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 06:23:04 »
Wow. Definitely interested in this.

It's funny, cause just a minute ago, I was thinking I want a replacement for my Deathadder while playing D3 (the DA didn't seem to suit my grip for D3's style of play), and this comes up. This could definitely be what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: Before I ran into this thread, and while I was thinking about what to get to replace my DA, I was seriously thinking about getting the G400s. Now that I know the G502 is based on the G500s shape, which is close to the G400s shape, now I'm almost 90% sure I'll get this. The only thing is the price-tag, which is $79.99 MSRP. Ouch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:50:09 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:35:45 »
Funny how logitech discontinue the best mouse they ever made (G9X) and keep coming out with these terrible mouses.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:42:03 »
Funny how logitech discontinue the best mouse they ever made (G9X) and keep coming out with these terrible mouses.

Nice flamebait there. I wish the G9x didn't have so ****ty buttons at the very least.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:48:27 »
Is 12, 000 CPI/DPI not a bit much?!?!?!
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline blackbox

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 12:09:47 »

Im my opinion absoluttely. I am not a gamer but 12000 is waay to sensitive to be usable.

The LAN table!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 12:15:10 »
Depends on stuff like jitter. Might be useful for high sensitivity on 4k screens.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 15:12:02 »

Im my opinion absoluttely. I am not a gamer but 12000 is waay to sensitive to be usable.
When I game, I game at 8, 200 DPI which is great for me. I have seen mice go as high as 16, 400 DPI ( [size=78%]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Redragon%C2%AE-Perdition-Precision-Programmable-Cartridge/dp/B00GXFDDL4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1397160544&sr=1-1&keywords=reddragon[/size]) and it always makes me wonder who this is  made for. I browse at 6, 000 and game at 8, 200 which most people consider high (as far as I know) so this whole more that 10, 000 DPI/CPI thing confuses me. :(
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:23:35 »

I have a Logitech G600 / G602

The G600 I use at 8200 CPI and the G602 I use at 2500 CPI

Both mice I can use at their maximum resolution without issue.

For some people, they are not able to control above the common 800 CPI.

That's fine.

But to say a resolution is too high is projecting your own usage model on others.

There are plenty of gamers who game on far higher CPI than you, to assume one size fits all is a bad way to view the world.

There is a reason why there is a sensitivity slider on all pointing device, to allow you to get what you want.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:32:29 »

Nice flamebait there. I wish the G9x didn't have so ****ty buttons at the very least.

I have the G9x and I'm very fond of it. Haven't had any issues with the buttons not functioning properly and I even bought a few lightly used ones as back ups in case my current one dies.

I'm curious what kind of grip the G502 favors though. I'm more of a claw grip user.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:05:37 »

I have the G9x and I'm very fond of it. Haven't had any issues with the buttons not functioning properly and I even bought a few lightly used ones as back ups in case my current one dies.

I'm ignoring statistically significant dead/doubleclicking primary buttons for now... as well as other issues, such as the high-pitched noise.

The additional buttons were ridiculously mushy (and I could activate them by just gripping the shell tighly, WTF?) and couldn't be replaced. I didn't mind it at first, although it eventually became annoying, when I rotated more mice, some of them with proper switches everywhere. However, the wheel was the worst, it effectively caused me RSI... and again, it couldn't be replaced.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 20:11:49 »

Didn't even think that someone will get mad over my post. Maybe you have G502 and I hurt your feelings. I am sorry  :rolleyes:

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 01:15:06 »
Looks like they may have phased out the G500s?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 03:25:13 »
I think this sensor sounds way too good to be true.
Only time and som dedicated reviewers who tear the thing apart will tell :)
Logitech devices have some great form factors though.

Thank you Sweden!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 03:29:22 »

Didn't even think that someone will get mad over my post. Maybe you have G502 and I hurt your feelings. I am sorry  ::)

Get mad? Nope. I might be crazy though. @_@

I just don't get¹ why Logitech used so bad internals in an *expensive* high-end mouse. They used higher-quality switches in _OEM mice ten years ago_. Technically, G9x was like an overpriced "gaming" rubber-dome keyboard. Oh wait... weren't some "switches" rubber in G9x?

¹ Of course, I do get it. Cutting costs.

Thank you Sweden!

Huh?

Isn't Logitech originally a Swiss company?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 03:44:58 »
Oops I got them mixed up with Mionix.
Well thank you Switzerland and Sweden!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 04:07:07 »
First reviews are coming in.
Sensor looks very promising :)

Offline lunr

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 19:21:17 »
The design for the 502 is pretty neat. I love how Logitech is going for a futuristic design than other companies. I always love the scroll wheel for the newer Logitech mices. Wish all companies would do it.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 22:57:24 »
Seems this has a perfect sensor. Hopefully other companies start releasing mice with perfect sensors too. Maybe we'll start getting some real mouse competition and not DPI wars.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 23:04:16 »
Any word on what switches are under the left and right mouse buttons? Logitech generally uses omrons right?

Argh, I just want a decent-sized mouse that has a good optical sensor and red backlighting that's not named Rival

Maybe the alcor might interest me and some of you
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Bucake

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 00:35:17 »
Hopefully other companies start releasing mice with perfect sensors too. Maybe we'll start getting some real mouse competition and not DPI wars.

i agree :j

the sensor indeed sounds like it's perfect.
i see too many cons in the g502 (weight, look, feet, price) though, so i'm passing on this one. i also prefer 5 buttons.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline cannonking

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:42:04 »
Any word on what switches are under the left and right mouse buttons? Logitech generally uses omrons right?

Argh, I just want a decent-sized mouse that has a good optical sensor and red backlighting that's not named Rival

Maybe the alcor might interest me and some of you
I think so.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:10:04 »
Nice pictures(from overclock.net I believe)! Wished logitech started to use a metal Construction in the base (bottom of the mouse. Logitech has shown no interest in producing mouses with partly metal construction before so I find it unlikely that they will do it. :(

The LAN table!

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 07:12:50 »
their plastic does however seem to be among the best out there, so I'm not sure it's necessary

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 07:50:51 »
I love Logitech mice and their fancy rubber coating.
I wonder if the tssr (like the ergo?) will be an issue....
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 07:52:24 by ApocalypseMaow »
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Mastoras

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 07:51:16 »
Nice pictures(from overclock.net I believe)! Wished logitech started to use a metal Construction in the base (bottom of the mouse. Logitech has shown no interest in producing mouses with partly metal construction before so I find it unlikely that they will do it. :(

Metal adds weight :).

Offline blackbox

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 10:54:05 »

Yes it does. Other companies (crosair,mad catz) has done this without a problem IMO.

The LAN table!

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 14:42:19 »
I like the way Logitech does their plastic & coatings, it feels like it's quality stuff, unlike some companies (Looking at you Razer)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:18:53 »

Yes it does. Other companies (crosair,mad catz) has done this without a problem IMO.

I wouldn't say it's without problem; the weight it adds is significant and I would imagine it also adds to the cost compared to plastic. Most of the mice that use metal are also mice that sell themselves on gimmicks, Logitech products, while they are not without gimmicks, they usually just rely on being solid and well designed to do well rather than gimmicks. And it seems to be working.

That said, I am a big fan of things made out of metal, so I would love to see more mice using more metal. So far, though, metal hasn't really been a good thing. The features on two mice I have that use metal, Level10M and RAT7, all seem to just be there to tick a box on a checklist. The Level10M has side buttons because mice need to have those, but they are awful in use. The RAT7 works ok, but they're nothing special. Both are mice that have had more than average work put into the visuals of them, but very little attention has been paid to function.
I'd much rather have Logitech's way of doing things, the button design on the G700s, G600 and G602 is very intuitive and much better than on most mice I've tried.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 02:50:28 »
For a "tunable gaming mouse" you really can't change much.. smells of Razer marketing to me. You can't change any of the dimensions / angles for instance.

They don't actually say what sensor it uses, whether it's laser or optical, we just have to accept that it's "the most accurate sensor on the market" on their say-so in the marketing blurb on their site... hmmm...

I like the angle of the button area, but it's already too heavy for me without any "tuning" weights added. The front is also too narrow for my ape-like hands. I don't need more than 2500DPI or so either.

So, it's not for me, but I look forward to reports about the sensor, what type it is and whether or not it really is the most accurate one out there.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ajx

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 04:24:02 »
I like the way Logitech does their plastic & coatings, it feels like it's quality stuff, unlike some companies (Looking at you Razer)
Indeed, i had both Logitech and Razer.
While Logitech focuses on ergonomic, mice qualities overall, Razer tends to showing off customers via bulli**** marketing.
Razer spent money on packaging while nobody does care about
Moreover, last time i bought Razer mice and i was almost barely capable to open it.
Design according taste's everyone is brilliant and amazing but lack of functions and hand grip

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 05:52:10 »
So, it's not for me, but I look forward to reports about the sensor, what type it is and whether or not it really is the most accurate one out there.
PixArt PMW3366DM, optical with IR-LED, reports so far are mostly that it is indeed the best sensor.

Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 08:03:30 »
PixArt PMW3366DM, optical with IR-LED, reports so far are mostly that it is indeed the best sensor.

Nice! If it fitted my hand better, I would be tempted. Logitech make solid mice.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 09:11:18 »
The sensor in this is supposed to be quite good, but for me, the weight is much too high. Even a 100% perfect sensor can only track the motions that one is able to perform, and the more inertia one has to keep under control, the clumsier those motions will be (at least for me). Put the sensor in something 60g lighter, with an entirely different shape, and I could be interested, but not as it is.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 15:07:04 »

G502 is optical? :-o might have to snag it then

Offline Bucake

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 15:22:20 »
G502 is optical? :-o might have to snag it then

yeah, infrared.
i've seen results of tests run with the G502 and they all showed that it (literally) has the most accurate sensor.
every 50dpi is a native step (200 - 250 - 300 - 350 - etc, all the way up to 12000) so the mouse also gives the most flexibility in sensitivity, while (theoretically) never giving up accuracy.
it also looks like it has no funny stuff like prediction, jitter, acceleration, smoothing, heavy input lag etc.

i just hope it won't be too long before a lighter mouse gets released with this sensor :j
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 April 2014, 15:47:31 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Bucake

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 15:29:09 »
edit: clicked wrong button :<

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 00:26:30 »
It's optical with really high IPS (or so people have reported).
I want to try one on display.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:03:29 »
Anyone know if this one uses different switches than the G500s? I'm using that one right now and the mouse clicks leave something to be desired (kinda mushy).
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Bucake

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:24:09 »
Anyone know if this one uses different switches than the G500s? I'm using that one right now and the mouse clicks leave something to be desired (kinda mushy).

"The switches for the main buttons seem to be all Omrons D2FC-F-7N"

it's not official information. source.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:48:53 by Bucake »

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 09:12:14 »
I will return mine...

Positive:
- Shape- very suitable for the Palm grip
- Long mouse buttons ( finally - is otherwise rare)
- Smooth sleeved cable
- Lots of buttons which are usually easily accessible

Negative for mouse wheel:
- much too heavy (unbalance the weight)
- is much too far out
- loose and wobbles (it can push down noticeably without the click)
- the stepping feels terribly inaccurate
- crank in raster mode during rapid scrolling (and skips clicks - feels like )
- Mouse wheel too slippery ( due to metal surface )
- srcolling the mouse in stepping mode very fast, you can feel the vibrations in the right  mouse button
- the freewheel is not so bad

Negative other:
- Too narrow for me - the ring finger must be angled
-  travelweg of buttons 1 and 2 (up to the trigger point )
- Thumb buttons disturbing edgy depending on the use for me
- Mouse gliders are unfavorable in shape and position
- Total too heavy 120gr without cable and extra weights

More problems reported by other users:
- loose right mouse button
- refitting the mouse on a hardpad could activate the right mouse button (w/o pushing it)
- mouse feet edges came off after a few days

Unfortunately the mousewheel, the weight and the (low) build quality overall makes this mouse a fail.
Best sensor or not...
What have you done Logitech?