Author Topic: Post your tricked out CM QFRs  (Read 101368 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Post your tricked out CM QFRs
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:29:58 »
I don't know if I would say they're the "wrong color" :p, some of us just prefer symmetry.

Yup, I'm a symmetry person too.  Why can't sets just be offered with both options?  It add what, two keys to it? 

Offline phx

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:40:45 »
I don't know if I would say they're the "wrong color" :p, some of us just prefer symmetry.

Yup, I'm a symmetry person too.  Why can't sets just be offered with both options?  It add what, two keys to it? 

beats me, go ask keypop >.>

that was literally the only reason why I didnt buy a set when it went on sale. still bugs me today cuz i really like the color scheme...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:46:40 »

that was literally the only reason why I didnt buy a set when it went on sale. still bugs me today cuz i really like the color scheme...

I'm a symmetry person, so asking keypop doesn't do me any good.  It's more a majority of GBs out there and the sets they do that bug me because there's no symmetrical option.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:48:40 »
I agree with you, Nubbs, but we're in the minority =/  I've learned to accept the asymmetry, but I also wish more GBs would provide the option.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:50:52 »

I'm a symmetry person, so asking keypop doesn't do me any good.  It's more a majority of GBs out there and the sets they do that bug me because there's no symmetrical option.

Yeah I'm a symmetry person, and if there are already mod sets and iso sets, i'm surprised they dont make a symmetry option or just have both sets as default.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline phx

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 18:09:05 »

really? Most GBs on here have both options. the coffee set is the only set that doesnt have my style afaik.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:28:32 »
I tricked out my QFR with Alps switches. Does that count?

Show Image

If you replaced the switches and the case top, how much more do you need to replace until it is no longer a QFR?
;D

Show Image

they look different now (painted the cases white)

You need a yellow one now :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:31:35 »
I tricked out my QFR with Alps switches. Does that count?

Show Image

If you replaced the switches and the case top, how much more do you need to replace until it is no longer a QFR?

Still has the QFR pcb, its still a QFR.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:34:18 »
It's not a QFR :)  It's a shy Filco Zero hiding in a QFR case / cover.

Offline Toad1677

« Reply #259 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:26:43 »
Just added DSA PBT Blanks from SP. Blue WASD keys are from my crap bag.

QFR MX Blue, Blackbird MX Blue, KBP V60 MX Green, KUL ES-87 MX Green, Pok3r Mx Clear

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 17:05:10 »
Got some caps from an ANSI QFR and a black top panel.

The original layout has some damn legends in 1-6, Q, W, E and C.
More
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:18:01 »

Painted frame

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:47:42 »
Show Image

Painted frame

Show Image

Show Image

Ooh it's white underneath too!  Nice :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 14:09:53 »
I know I posted my QFR update elsewhere, but don't remember posting it in here, so here it is again:

I'm still debating swapping the blank white caps for black on white SP caps that I have.

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:31:41 »
I know I posted my QFR update elsewhere, but don't remember posting it in here, so here it is again:

Show Image

I'm still debating swapping the blank white caps for black on white SP caps that I have.

What about a Raindrop set?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #265 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:40:17 »

Show Image

Love your keyboard, as always!  Such a happy saturated color :)  I like it with those engraved white caps personally.  My favorite color is more like those Alt DS caps, and it's close :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 18:03:19 »
What about a Raindrop set?

That could look good.  The hard part would be finding someone to part with one for trade or a reasonable price.

Love your keyboard, as always!  Such a happy saturated color :)  I like it with those engraved white caps personally.  My favorite color is more like those Alt DS caps, and it's close :)

I'm a sucker for vibrant keyboards.  I try to keep them from being too over the top, but I'm not always successful.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 18:07:25 »
Love the board as is, Nubs.  Wouldn't change a thing.

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #268 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 18:30:41 »
...a reasonable price.

That's something hard to find around here. :))

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 18:41:19 »
Show Image

Painted frame

Show Image

Show Image

Nice!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 18:59:00 »
...a reasonable price.

That's something hard to find around here. :))

It most definitely is.  There's a ton of flipping for huge markups that happens.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 19:10:33 »
It could look cool with Lysol's blue legend PBT set from the current dye sub GB.  The legend seems to be in a much lighter blue vs. the older IMSTO sets.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:34:38 »

Show Image

Are the SP caps blank? Looks great by the way.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Rafen

« Reply #273 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:40:01 »
http://i.imgur.com/ipct03V.jpg

Heres my QFR w/reds.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:44:50 »
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 21:06:05 »
Show Image

Heres my QFR w/reds.

Nice.  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #276 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 03:36:30 »

Show Image

Most excellent!

I have a QWERkeys "magenta" (actually more like pink) Fn key where the right Win key is (which is actually Fn on my KeyCool 87) - breaks up the slightly too much purple.

Offline skuko

« Reply #277 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 12:58:35 »
so much win in this thread...i just have 2 stock ones - black and red...gives me some inspiration :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 03:53:05 »
so much win in this thread...i just have 2 stock ones - black and red...gives me some inspiration :)

Just look at the earlier posts for inspiration!

Or come up with something unique of your own :)

Offline Mysteric

• Formerly 'Mackem'
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 13:53:37 »
Bit off topic, but I want a black top panel for my QFR but according to CM, they don't have any in Europe brand new (They only have refurbished apparently). Was told there was no way for me to get a brand new black top cover from CM. I tried posting in the CM Storm section and on the CM subreddit but I either get ignored, told to contact someone who doesn't reply or get told to paint my grey panel..

*sigh*

On the same lines, I'd love to swap my QFR w/ browns for one with reds but finding a new QFR MX Reds in ISO layout is quite hard (Most of the BNIB ones are like £80-£90 whereas I paid £70 for my MX Browns). Many UK sites say the QFR in reds has been discontinued and they've had no stock for months :(

Sorry for going off on a tangent. Getting a new sleeved cable soon for my QFR from Pexon :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 August 2013, 13:57:25 by Mackem »

Offline sor

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:24:32 »
Hello guys i wana get the QFR MX Red, this one

My main concern is i heard the rubber coating would peel off after some time and attract dust/fingerprints.
So how long it gonna takes of beating cause im gona travel alot with this mkb and the coating start to peel?. I plan to paint the body if the coating starts to peel if so how do u guys paint this? how to remove the rubber coating.
ESPORTS!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:28:01 »

Show Image

My main concern is i heard the rubber coating would peel off after some time and attract dust/fingerprints.
So how long it gonna takes of beating cause im gona travel alot with this mkb and the coating start to peel?. I plan to paint the body if the coating starts to peel if so how do u guys paint this? how to remove the rubber coating.

It doesn't take much--if you plan on traveling with the keyboard, you will see the rubber coating peel off at the corners.  It's very thin.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:30:30 »
If you're going to be taking it with you a lot then it might rub off fairly quickly.  But that is usually around corners and edges.  If you plan on painting it all you do is sand it off.  Look for photoelectric's thread in the making stuff together section.

edit: damn looks like photo already got here lol

Offline sor

« Reply #283 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:51:04 »
If you're going to be taking it with you a lot then it might rub off fairly quickly.  But that is usually around corners and edges.  If you plan on painting it all you do is sand it off.  Look for photoelectric's thread in the making stuff together section.

edit: damn looks like photo already got here lol

Show Image

It doesn't take much--if you plan on traveling with the keyboard, you will see the rubber coating peel off at the corners.  It's very thin.

what if i protect it with some bag or towel would it peel to? the peeling is cause by friction is it? would it peel naturally after some time?.. =.=
ESPORTS!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #284 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 01:00:14 »
Well if you will have a separate soft case for it, the coating will probably not peel for a good while, but still, you might end up bumping and brushing the case against stuff if you're going to move it a lot.  If you're worried about that, there are other tenkeless boards to consider, like Keycool, Ducky, WASD V2 (not sure if there's coating--don't think so), Leopold, PLU, Noppoo Mid, etc.

Offline sor

« Reply #285 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:33:32 »
ESPORTS!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 09:33:25 »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 12:30:31 »
Finally. Tomorrow I'll put the keycaps and take some decent photos. Well, i hope so. :))

Show Image

Show Image

What color/brand of paint did you use for this?

Show Image

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 13:20:57 by do_Og@n »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 12:53:05 »
He had someone at an auto shop paint it, I believe, but if you want to recreate this yourself, click below.

More
you can use Rust-Oleum's Painter's Touch white paint and spray Rust-Oleum's Universal in Pearl Mist over it.  But be very careful, because Universal paint takes FOREVER to dry--don't touch it for at least 2 days, or you can leave fingerprints on the surface.

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 12:55:44 by Photoelectric »

Offline stancato9

« Reply #289 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 06:06:27 »

Show Image

Insane. I'm dying to get those CMYK keycaps.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 19:26:17 »
Has anyone had to move the controller so a custom case would fit? I am buying one from Feng and he said that the case fits once the controller is moved? wasn't 100% sure what he meant? [answered]

Also I have big plans for my now incoming QFR with Greens :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:46:36 by ITzNybble »
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #291 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 16:41:18 »

Offline sor

« Reply #292 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 16:54:03 »
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #293 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 05:59:56 »
Greenness:

Quite a contrast to the Filco yellow keycaps which were on there before (and retired now to reduce the shine that was starting to develop).

The green is slightly lighter than this IRL:

CMSTORM!!!1!111one!

And I only noticed after previewing this picture that I seem to have scratched the rubberised coating slightly :(

Offline JoanneLee

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:36:11 »
Posted these on another thread. But might as well update this thread too  ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #295 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:32:23 »
^ That does look nice!

I hadn't thought of doing that with the Smile! keycaps.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #296 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 17:23:39 »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #297 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 17:30:21 »
^ Super like!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #298 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 18:25:12 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #299 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 00:04:56 »
Show Image

Show Image

:blank:

(Blank - get it? :)) )