Author Topic: Please help me help my husband (disturbing images)  (Read 1305 times)

Offline futurebird

Please help me help my husband (disturbing images)
« on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:40:25 »
My husband ought to be the keyboard enthusiast. He can type at 90wpm since his job in PR requires that he produce dozens of documents daily. Yet until he saw my new mechanical keyboard last night I don't think he ever thought that things could be better.  I think the time is right for a change. Based on the grossness of the number pad I'm thinking extended. He's not much of a geek (unlike me) and fussing with it will turn him off, hence simple is better. That made me think "Daskeyboard" but given the abuse my dearest can dish out would they look decent after the first week?

Ideas?
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:42:17 by futurebird »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Internetlad

Re: Please help me help my husband (disturbing images)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:50:24 »
for typing, I find my Unicomp (buckling springs) is the best. It's noisy, but that's part of the charm.

If he wanted to get one on the cheap, an original Model M would be inexpensive and long-term way to get into BS boards.

http://pckeyboard.com/

The keys on the Unicomp boards are good quality ABS, and the legends are dyesub. This means that the legends won't wear off as they're actually inked into the key and not just pad printed on top.

If he doesn't want to go BS, you can always replace the keycaps later to keep it looking good. A good set of PBT dyesub or doubleshot keys, though expensive, will keep going and going.

Hope it helps!
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:55:02 »
I will put my vote in for a Filco Majestouch with GMK keycaps or the Ducky that ray linked.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:58:15 »
To be completely honest, any mechanical would be better than an OEM rubber dome.

With the CPT on this one, Filco and/or Ducky. Has to be PBT caps though, since it seems as though your husband wears right through ABS.

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 12:00:21 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 16:53:32 »
Maybe a leopold, nice quality and pbt caps. Otherwise a realforce 45g or variable weight if budget allows.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:01:36 »
To be completely honest, any mechanical would be better than an OEM rubber dome.

With the CPT on this one, Filco and/or Ducky. Has to be PBT caps though, since it seems as though your husband wears right through ABS.

I agree on both counts. PBT caps should be a definite so if you go the Filco route you will need to find another set of key caps to replace the OEM crap. IMO, that kind of strengthens the case for a Ducky assuming you choose one that comes stock with PBT key caps.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:02:46 »
wasd barebones 104+vortex ds pbt