Author Topic: According to you, what is the best trackball?  (Read 56774 times)

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
According to you, what is the best trackball?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 11:36:19 »
I agree with Zamorph, the Trackman Marble is superb and a great deal at $25-29 new.  It is silky smooth when rolling.  I like mine so much, I gave it a kickass custom paintjob.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 19:33:17 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:18:41 by davkol »

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 03:19:16 »
So back to custom balls...

Kept looking and came across this really nice looking golden sheen obsidian ball. Was more than I would have liked to spend but I was completely taken by the looks of it, so I asked the seller about the size and means of measuring anyway and got a well enough worded response about it being right on 55mm and having measured it with vernier calipers...

It fits... and I can get motion and tracking but it's... 'scratchy' and no where near smooth, the more and more I slowly test it out it seems to be getting smoother and smoother and I feel it's just rubbing up against the frame of the well. I'm very cautious about how far I should go with this as I don't want to damage the bearings. So I'm going back and forth between the obsidian ball and the ruby ball quite often so I can track any changes in feel with the ruby ball so as not to end up with a shot slimblade.

Meh, phone camera. Beautiful ball though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2012, 03:23:23 by All The Fire »

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 11:55:33 »
If you like custom balls, the Kensington Orbit will work.  It can use any kind of ball that is 1.5 inches.  Just for fun, I used my Logitech trackball in it.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 21:51:46 »
The slimblade has a 55mm ball, which comes to somewhere between 2.16 and 2.17 inches. Seems like nice even 55mm balls aren't so common as I thought they would be.

Persisting with the stone, it's smoother (though still scratchy) and a little easier to push around now but jams in the frame on occasion and I don't feel like it'll wear much more of a groove in the well from here on, I have a feeling it's not so perfectly spherical. Haven't seemed to cause any extensive damage to the slimblade though and the ruby ball still works great.

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 05:00:37 »
How does the Slimblade compare comfort-wise to the Logitech Marble Mouse? And if you prefer the Slimblade, is it for features/resolution at the expense of comfort?

For all it's limitations, I haven't seen anything that looks more comfortable than my 10 year old Marble. I just got a CST L-Trac, and while I enjoy it's resolution, it's just not as comfy so far...
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

Offline kbafewx

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 03:54:25 »
a 6000 DPI laser mouse undoubtedly.

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 04:13:34 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53857[/ATTACH]Still looking for a guide to the dip switches on a gen 2 dt225.  Great trackball, dip switch nightmare.

Found the dip layout if anybody wants it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 15:03:09 by dippingriz »

Offline Pixel Eater

Re: According to you, what is the best trackball?
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 03:39:31 »
This thread is a little light on Microsoft Trackball Explorers, so here's one vote. Despite its well regarded status it's not perfect, in fact I find my hand gets a little warm against its surface and my pinky would benefit if it were even broader. I also wish the buttons didn't have that classic plasticky sproing sometimes when you lift your fingers off them and I wish the ball rolled just a little heavier and more freely, but these cons are smalltime compared to the effectiveness of its design. So far my mission to find a better trackball has been fruitless.

I want to check out one of the old Kensington Expert Pro Mice with the stainless bearings. Something old school because I'm searching for the highest quality, sexiest roll in trackball history and I'm really not sure where I'll find it.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 02:18:53 »
I've just been introduced to the trackball world recently and I have been going nuts over different ones for the past couple months. Here is what I have found so far (keep in mind this is my opinion):

- Logitech M570 - Great trackball but only for basic computer use. It doesn't work well for gaming or image editing because the thumb just isn't as precise as the pointer finger.
 - Logitech TrackMan Marble (newest) - Works really well and it's inexpensive. My only dislikes were the lack of scrolling and the Trackball was to small.
 - Logitech TrackMan Marble FX - GREAT Trackball for its day. It's comfortable, good size Trackball, and it very accurate. Cons are that all the buttons don't work with newer OS's, it has a ps2 connection, and it doesn't work so well for gaming.
 - Microsoft Trackball Explorer - This Trackball was comfortable, has newer drivers for Win 7, and you could customize the buttons. I didn't personally like it because it felt cheap. One big upside to this Trackball is there are a lot of spare parts and companies who will fix it up for you.
 - Kensington Slimblade - I am in love with this Trackball. It's smooth, buttons feel and sound nice, good software, the scrolling is awesome, and it works really well for gaming. The only problem I have with this Trackball is the price. If you get lucky you can find a new in box one for cheap on Ebay otherwise you are stuck paying $85 to $120 somewhere else.

Next up on my list is going to be a CST-LtracX. I emailed a couple companies on if they were going to get anymore of these in stock and they informed me that the laser used in the LtracX is no longer in production and CST hasn't been able to find a viable replacement for it. Therefore they are discontinuing that model line. So if anybody out there wants to get rid of there CST-LtracX feel free to PM me.

On a different note I want to thank user All the Fire for informing all of us on the size of Trackball used in the Slimblade. Unfortunately in my case it was a little to late that I came across this post. I just ordered a 2 1/8" Aramith 8 ball off ebay. I did hop onto the boadingballs.com site and found one ball left in the 55mm size.

http://www.baodingballs.com/yellow_jade_baoding_balls.html

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:26:39 »
Re: thumb trackballs.  Your thumb accuracy improves with time.  I've been using these since the first one came out (see my post above), due to problems with my wrist.  I used to game with it too, but eventually I did realize that it was holding me back.  I've since bought a gaming mouse, used for that purpose only.  Other than that, I use a Marble for everything else.  I haven't had an issue with my right wrist in well over a decade.
Russ

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 06:02:01 »
My daily driver is the Kensington Slimblade. I prefer it for every day use over the others that I've tried.

Pros:
1- Tracks VERY nice
2- Software allows you to configure buttons
3- Works well with gaming too
4- Scrolling allows you to leave your fingers on the trackball
5- You can clean under the ball without disassembling

Cons:
1- Gets dirty really fast due to it's glossy finish
2- I've noticed that the software doesn't work as it should (like keep on to it's controls until you open and close it)
3- Odd ball size makes it hard to find replacement for customization

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 06:22:14 »
Is that even a question?

Undisputed Champion
More
"No"- Greed

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 06:35:07 »
I have an older Trackman Wheel at work. It's been getting daily use for years with no problems. Having used both, I prefer thumb trackballs to finger trackballs.
Show Image

It does remember the MS Trackball Explorer ...
I know that Logitech is actually whom does produces both mouses both I never thought they would sell it with their own brand.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:35:34 »
The Microsoft Trackball Optical, bar none.

I will be putting an 8200DPI Avago ADNS-9800 laser sensor in mine, and adding 2 buttons to change the DPI. I will also be replacing the steel bearings with ceramic, and possibly the trackball with a Grade 25-100 chrome/stainless-steel ball bearing. The best trackball in existence is getting a long awaited upgrade. My Dad will be doing the same to his after mine is done.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:42:25 by The_Ed »
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 13:10:47 »

I will be putting an 8200DPI Avago ADNS-9800 laser sensor in mine, and adding 2 buttons to change the DPI. I will also be replacing the steel bearings with ceramic, and possibly the trackball with a Grade 25-100 chrome/stainless-steel ball bearing. The best trackball in existence is getting a long awaited upgrade. My Dad will be doing the same to his after mine is done.

If I get you a Microsoft Trackball Explorer how much would you charge to perform those upgrades?

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:07:26 »

If I get you a Microsoft Trackball Explorer how much would you charge to perform those upgrades?

You'll have to get one of those ADNS-9800 laser sensors quick as the kickstarter campaign has already ended. There are a limited number of preorders available from the same guy on tindie that will ship after the kickstarters do. -> https://www.tindie.com/products/jkicklighter/adns-9800-optical-laser-sensor/

I have no idea how much I would charge, but the prices of the parts I am sourcing for me and my dad is already shocking to say the least... I've always used quality parts, and a trackball mod needs a lot of them (x2 including my dad's). I haven't ordered any of the other parts yet, so if we could work something out soon you would be able to hop onto my orders.

There is 1 thing you could help me source - mountable button assemblies that I can put proper mouse microswitches in (NOT those little square ones...).
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 19:41:25 »

I would love to see your schematics ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 19:44:46 »
Oh I've got some **** brewing right now. After I get done with mine and my dad's I may be doing do_Og@n's Explorer (which means I probably won't get to his until September).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 14:22:17 »

I've got one of these, but the ball rubs on the plastic cup in the back making the ball movement very poor.
Russ

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 14:29:10 »
Oh I've got some **** brewing right now. After I get done with mine and my dad's I may be doing do_Og@n's Explorer (which means I probably won't get to his until September).

Scratch the MS Explorer.....I just got an old school CST Trackball that might work better for it!!!

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 16:16:23 »
I've got one of these, but the ball rubs on the plastic cup in the back making the ball movement very poor.

Sounds like your bearings aren't seated properly.

Scratch the MS Explorer.....I just got an old school CST Trackball that might work better for it!!!

CST's are completely horizontal, so the new sensor has to go underneath, which means if it doesn't fit the bottom will have to be "improvised" out of a thick sheet of rubber.

I've got a lead on some 38mm Epoxy Resin trackball balls from Belgium. Otherwise I will be going with 316 stainless steel (that's right, marine grade) from ebay. But being me I will most likely get both...
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 16:58:35 »

Any tips? 
Russ

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 17:05:18 »
@The_Ed - I'll be sure to get you some pictures of the CST Insides once I get it. As for the trackball part I will probably be ordering a Super Aramith Pool Ball for it since it will fit unless you can think of something close to the same cost that would work better?

If anybody else is interested in a cheap old schoold CST Trackball there are some on sale at Ebay for $20 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390614152485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 18:52:47 »

Any tips? 

If the machine pushed the bearings in too far, you will have to put a THIN sewing needle in a dremel and drill a hole at a 30/45 degree angle from the back of the trackball socket for each of those bearings. You are aiming for the bottom circumference of the bearing sockets with the needle. That will allow you to push out the bearings without mangling the sides or bottoms of their sockets. (The bearing sockets are cylindrical, so the spherical  steel bearings don't touch at the bottom circumference that you are drilling a hole to.) At this point you will have to shore up the bottoms of the bearing sockets with something, and you might as well replace the steel bearings with 2mm silicon nitride (ceramic) ones because they're fairly cheap and much better. When the bearings are all at the right height there should be no trackball to socket touching.

@The_Ed - I'll be sure to get you some pictures of the CST Insides once I get it. As for the trackball part I will probably be ordering a Super Aramith Pool Ball for it since it will fit unless you can think of something close to the same cost that would work better?

How many millimeters (and/or inches) does the CST take? I prefer precision balls, which is why I have spent so many hours looking for options... If I was rich I would get Silicon Nitride, but seeing as I'm not that leaves stainless/chrome steels (316 being my choice right now for it's resilience to finger acids) and Epoxy Resin (IF the Belgians let me buy them).
R.I.P.ster

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 09:33:26 »
this maybe a little off topic but does anyone know of a way to set different profiles for a slimblade.  i just picked one up yesterday for CAD and i'd like to have the top buttons mapped differently than when im just browsing GH  :cool:
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 17:47:30 »
this maybe a little off topic but does anyone know of a way to set different profiles for a slimblade.  i just picked one up yesterday for CAD and i'd like to have the top buttons mapped differently than when im just browsing GH  :cool:

Here is a link to the Kensington sites driver page:

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/1550/softwaredrivers.aspx

You will want to install the Trackball Works software for whatever OS you are using and it will allow you to map the keys.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 11:57:44 »
yeah i have that but theres no profile switching.  :(  im looking for something like logitech's "g" software where it recognizes i opened autocad and load the autocad profile.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:46:13 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:18:51 by davkol »