Author Topic: Coming Soon: Vendor Terms of Service [VTOS]  (Read 4835 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Coming Soon: Vendor Terms of Service [VTOS]
« on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 12:49:29 »
Over the past six months the Admin group and iMav have been discussing the need to clarify what role vendors should play on geekhack.org.  We are not a business, but having vendors here adds value to the community.  But some conditions should apply, and it is best for everyone if they are publicly stated.

So next week, the Admin group, with the specific approval of iMav, will be rolling out Vendor Terms of Service (VTOS) that add to the general TOS for all members.  The VTOS is neither long nor tedious, but it does make some thing clearer than they have been.  It will also provide a way for everyone in the geekhack community to measure how commercial and semi-pro entities are doing here.

It also provides clarification about what we consider to be conflicts of interest in this context.

This thread is to provide a place for thought and concerns to be posted in advance of the actual release of the VTOS document.

FYI to all,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Coming Soon: Vendor Terms of Service [VTOS]
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 12:49:37 »
Reserved.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:31:17 »
I have received multiple requests to pre-announce the VTOS, and I have to say its existence may be over-hyped.  However, I have prepared the following short-hand version for your consideration:

TL;DR: "If you make money on keyboards or keyboard-related stuff, you get a special badge and you have to be polite on the forum"

The rest is longer to avoid ambiguity.  But that is the core message.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:44:34 »
CURSES!!!

I mean, hooray shiny badge, but CURSES! 

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:46:57 »
CURSES!!!

Thats a bit cutting there sir, I believe you're more at the "Flipping Heck" level now. Although good rules! ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:54:13 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 13:03:42 »
I have received multiple requests to pre-announce the VTOS, and I have to say its existence may be over-hyped.  However, I have prepared the following short-hand version for your consideration:

TL;DR: "If you make money on keyboards or keyboard-related stuff, you get a special badge and you have to be polite on the forum"

The rest is longer to avoid ambiguity.  But that is the core message.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

But I thought there was a no badge rule..... ???

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 13:31:54 »
TL;DR: "If you make money offer keyboards or keyboard-related stuff for sale, you get a special badge and you have to be polite on the forum"

So, like, the Scarlett Letter?  :)

I kid. Transparency is a good thing. What makes someone a 'vendor' -- if I sell an old keyboard, does that make me a vendor, or just a seller? Or would I have to own a website of some kind? What's the threshold for being considered a vendor?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 13:54:43 »
TL;DR: "If you make money offer keyboards or keyboard-related stuff for sale, you get a special badge and you have to be polite on the forum"

So, like, the Scarlett Letter?  :)

I kid. Transparency is a good thing. What makes someone a 'vendor' -- if I sell an old keyboard, does that make me a vendor, or just a seller? Or would I have to own a website of some kind? What's the threshold for being considered a vendor?

The scarlet letter is an unavoidable comparison I suppose.  Please note that I have "Administrator" on every post.  (It even starts with an A.)

Think of it as full disclosure.  Like the text above "special advertising section" in magazines.  Same deal.  Not painful, but since I have a badge, why shouldn't King Klaxon?

And no, if you sell a keyboard, you are not a vendor.  If you sell 500 keyboards and have a website and a staff, you are a vendor.

- Ron | samwisekoi | Administrator

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 20:38:15 »
By staff, do you mean :

OR

Because I have neither so that means I am no vendor!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 20:44:24 »
CURSES!!!

Happy, Happy Klaxons.  :p
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline rknize

• * Administrator