Author Topic: One year after the Exodus...  (Read 18000 times)

Offline jcrouse

Re: One year after the Exodus...
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:18:45 »
I love the new theme. Simple and effective!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 13:51:13 »
Poll for what the default theme should be after July 18th:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45223.0
Russ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 17:39:04 »
Folks have been asking for a clean, light theme.  We did not have anything like that until now.  It's not going to be to everyone's tastes.  I prefer Nostalgia, myself.  :)

:thumbs:

Woo iMav!!!

Thank you for starting GH!! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 22:05:53 »
It was at this point that GeekHack of old had been restored from backups, only to be taken down again.  The attack vector and the exploit were discovered as iMav struggled to keep the site up by repairing the damage to the DB as it happened.  That's when the mod team got directly involved to help him out.  Then they got in again, whacked everything including the backups that happened to be attached at that moment, and the server was lost.

The conversation shifted to rebuilding the site from scratch.  The very next day we had a test machine up and running (laying on my desk :)) and we started figuring out what to build on top of it.  It was going to be a while before iMav could get to the DC get the hardware back under control, so development happened in parallel.
Russ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 22:41:23 »
Someone must have really hated GH to put in such effort into hacking it to the ground!  Geez.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline morpheus

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 01:44:58 »
This isn't keyboard science, it's keyboard religion.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 11:12:44 »
SCIENCE? YOU WANT TO TELL ME ABOUT SCIENCE?

Our peoples were half-crazed from starvation and dehydration when they landed. Wonts twere not wanton, but pleas for survival. Food was distributed, some level of calm returned. I found a conch shell and began shouting, trying desperately to keep the panic from setting in.

WE ARE ON FOREIGN LANDS, I said. OUR HISTORY IS GONE, I said. You must trust that we are rebuilding, and that we have a plan, I said. Some did, and some did not. Many were recruited from those who recovered from the journey most quickly.

It began as a murmur, then spread like flame through fibers as hunger for food was replaced by hunger for home. A sense of unity. "We are geekhack", it said. "And we WILL survive this as a community."

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 23:47:17 »
The nasties kept me away for a long time...that, and I had already acquired a nice little collection of boards.  ;D
SSKs for everyone!

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 00:05:02 »
Someone must have really hated GH to put in such effort into hacking it to the ground!  Geez.

I just think it is an unfortunate name of the forum which encourages people to try and hack it and whatnot.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 01:05:27 »
Why you make my eyes bleed bro?! Don't **** with those who have Nostalgia as their default, we get quite perturbed...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 01:29:47 »
Food?  I didn't get any food!

Are we talking about eating keycaps again?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:00:40 »
My first reaction was that the CSS didn't load properly...

Haha, same here...
Also, Nostalgia FTW!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 17:12:20 »
I've tried the new theme, but back to Nostalgia for me.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 13:36:38 »
if it isn't already fairly obvious, this has been put on hold due to the tragic passing of one of our own. we will regroup and figure out what when where why how in time.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline captain

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 13:18:35 »
We should call the "new" theme SMALLFRY. 

But old farts like iMav's original and perfect choice: Nostalgia--and our history.   RIP ster wikis. 

BTW, it's Geek Hack as in nerds who stab with cutting motions to produce dull, unoriginal work, and who, despite being hacked, manage and cope.  It's a multi-entendre... best viewed in orange on black.  ;-)
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 13:43:31 »
I prefer thoriated.  I'm not really sure why it's called thoriated, but I like it.  The oranje and black is OG-cool for sure, but thoriated is easier to read, at least for me.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:13:18 »
We should call the "new" theme SMALLFRY. 
i don't agree. i think we should call the OLD theme smallfry

But old farts like iMav's original and perfect choice: Nostalgia--and our history.   RIP ster wikis. 

BTW, it's Geek Hack as in nerds who stab with cutting motions to produce dull, unoriginal work, and who, despite being hacked, manage and cope.  It's a multi-entendre... best viewed in orange on black.  ;-)
smallfry.