Author Topic: Newly-implemented changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!  (Read 98716 times)

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
Attention: these rules have now been implemented!  Please continue discussing them here.

In accordance with the site's Terms of Service, Moderators will not step in to mediate transactions gone bad, however if you wish to report something you see that is against the forum’s Terms of Service and the guidelines in this post, please do so via the “Report to Moderator” button. (Example)

GEEKHACK.ORG ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY FOR LOSSES RELATED TO OR RESULTING FROM POSTING IN THIS FORUM OR FOR ANY TRANSACTION RESULTING FROM POSTING IN THIS FORUM.

Caveat emptor (Buyer Beware) <- Wikipedia link.

BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING/SELLING ON THIS FORUM! Geekhack.org, which includes all owners, operators, moderators, and administrators of this website, accept no liability and will provide no services to buyers or sellers short of providing a forum for member to member transactions. We highly encourage buyers and sellers to reference their own feedback ratings (heatware, ebay, etc) and refrain from buying from or selling to anyone but well-established members with a proven track record in buying, selling and/or trading.

Note that by participating in transactions on this forum, you are agreeing to the risks involved. 
If you would prefer to have greater security for your money or goods, please trade or buy from other webistes or stores that have multi-level protection set up instead (such as eBay, Amazon, MechanicalKeyboards.com, and other well-known vendors).  When deciding upon buying, selling, or trading on Geekhack.org, assess the risks and take steps to increase your comfort level with your transactions by discussing all the details with the party you are trading with and familiarizing yourself with all legal dispute deadlines, as well as contacting the party you are dealing with well in advance of those deadlines to check on transaction status.  Please agree upon leaving feedback (such as Heatware feedback) upon the completion of your transaction(s) for future reference.

Classifieds Rules:

Any Classifieds thread or post that does not conform to these rules may be subject to moderator action without notice.

• Creating sale / trade threads in the Classifieds subforum is limited to Geekhack.org users who have been members of the forum for at least 2 months and have 25 or higher post count.
  • Do not post advertisements outside of the Classifieds and External Auctions subforums.
  • Do not sell or trade engineering samples or anything that violates US federal, state, or local laws, including but not limited to: copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent, NDA, or EULA.
  • Use the Artisan Services section [link--new Subforum to be created] for any custom services, such as keyboard modification (including soldering services for sale), keyboard accessory-making services (including custom keycaps, wrist rests, sleeved cables, controllers), and the like.
  • Do not create more than two active Classifieds threads at any one time.  Close old threads once the transactions are complete (i.e., payment has been made and the item(s) have been shipped and received). If you have multiple items to buy or sell simultaneously, one unified thread is highly encouraged (but please avoid listing too many items at the same time). Only post a second thread if the nature of the items or transaction is significantly different from the first. For example:

“[FS] Filco Majestouch-2 TKL [WTB] leather wrist rest” – 1 combined thread
    “[FT] SP Grab Bag Keycaps – trade here” – 2nd thread
  • Thread Posting Guidelines:

• Title prefixes:  Please use the following prefixes for your thread titles, with brackets for clarity:
      [WTB] = "want to buy"
      [FS] / [WTS] = "for sale" / "want to sell"
      [FT] / [WTT] = "for trade" / "want to trade"

• Thread Titles:  Keep your thread titles up-to-date, modifying them as soon as any changes occur, whether you have sold an item in your listing or changed your mind on something you are looking to buy. Your thread title must reflect current information precisely.

• Classifieds Post Content 
      Only list for sale or trade items that are already in your possession.  Include clear photographs of your items (in good light -- no blurry night-time “potato shots”) along with your Geekhack.org user name and the date the photograph was taken. (Example)

All items for sale must include an explicit price.  If you are unsure how much an item is worth, you may ask in the Price Check thread. If you are not satisfied with that option and prefer an auction, you can always list your items on eBay and similar sites. It is the responsibility of the seller to determine the exchange rate if the transaction includes multiple currencies.

Trade-only threads/items do not require an explicit listed price.

Shipping and payment terms should be explicitly listed (this includes any shipping zone restrictions, such as “CONUS only”).  Your country of residence / item location needs to be specified in your profile or your Classifieds thread, as well as whether you intend to use a proxy for shipping.

Your item descriptions must clearly describe what you are selling or trading.

Sample post:
      More

If you are trying to sell your spot in a group buy, you should do so in the corresponding group buy thread instead of in the Classifieds.

All updates and changes to sale/trade terms, price drops, temporary price drops or additions must be done in the first post of your Classifieds thread, which you are always able to edit. They should not be on a random page in your Classifieds thread.  When you update your original post, you should also update the thread title to reflect the changes.  If you would like to keep a rolling thread that you use to sell many items over a long period of time, that is allowed as long as you keep it clean and up-to-date. 

Old sales thread are a valuable resource for determining fair market prices.  Please don't remove useful information such as items sold and their prices from your OPs.  Please make sure your thread titles reflect what was offered in the thread, so that future users browsing old threads will be able to see at a glance whether they're interested in looking at your threads.

• Discussion in sale threads
      All discussion in the Classifieds threads should be limited to direct questions regarding items for sale/trade, shipping & handling inquiries, or relevant polite and constructive comments about sellers (such as if you suspect a dishonest seller) and prices, and corresponding answers.

Do not post any personally identifying information about yourself or other members.

Any off-topic diversions, idle chat, and needless spam (e.g., "GLWS!") may be removed without notice.

If you have some general questions about items for sale or trade, such as how a keyboard for sale is better than your keyboard, or why custom-made items are more expensive than mass-produced items, please make an appropriate post in an appropriate subforum outside of the Classifieds for that discussion and use the forum search function—there may well already be existing discussions relevant to your question.

• Bumping
      Do not bump your own Classifieds threads until at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post.  Any bumps made before the 24 hour window are subject to removal. You should not bump other members’ Classifieds posts via explicit bumps or friendly chatter, and such posts are subject to removal.
  • Auctions
    Conducting auctions is not allowed in the Classifieds subforum.  We lack appropriate software infrastructure and legal means to maintain auctions and ensure fair terms for everyone.  If you wish to sell your items as auctions, please use appropriate sites, such as eBay.  You may link your external auctions in the “External Auctions” subforum (to be added).
  • No Price or "interest" check threads may be created on the Classifieds subforum.  Please use the appropriate stickied threads for that purpose as well as the Interest Checks subforum.
  • Vendors - Do not promote your goods on this subforum.
  • A note about making profit on reselling goods:
    The forum staff takes no stance on profit.  It is up to buyers and sellers to do due diligence in determining what fair prices are. If you are uncertain about an item’s worth, please ask in this thread.  Discussion about prices must be respectful and backed by references.  Any personal insults or aggression in price arguments may be subject to moderation.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:46:56 by Moderation Team »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Upcoming changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:32:30 »
Wow so we're doing 25 posts + 2 months now. Good idea

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:38:04 »
Thank you team GH. So glad we don't have to deal with auctions anymore. #teamjdcarpe

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:41:55 »
I don't like the picture rule. It's one of those things that exists to avoid issues with a few ****ty sellers at the expense of annoying the majority of good ones. I've happily provided pictures to everyone who has requested them in my sales, and I've requested pictures from others as well. But when dealing with trusted individuals, I just don't care.

But that's, just, like, my opinion, man.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:12:46 »
So, do we need to retake pictures of everything we have in our sale threads and add our usernames/timestamp to them? Cause for some people (me included) that would be a not insignificant amount of pictures to retake.

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:15:38 »
One signed photo per item is sufficient.  There's still plenty of time before the new rules take effect.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 21:53:06 »
So when do things start changing?

Also a thread linking here stickied in the classifieds might help bring some attention to it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2014, 22:09:45 by SpAmRaY »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 22:10:44 »
    Conducting auctions is not condoned in the Classifieds subforum.  We lack appropriate software infrastructure and legal means to maintain auctions and ensure fair terms for everyone.  If you wish to sell your items as auctions, please use appropriate sites, such as eBay.  You may link your external auctions in the “External Auctions” subforum (to be added).[/li][/list]

Some good changes overall but auctions are still a gray area. If a subforum is on it's way for ebay links, etc. why not just ban them altogether and rid of the back and forth regarding auctions?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
    • * Maker
    • Melvang's Desktop Customs
    « Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 00:51:34 »
    While I like most of the changes I am not sure if a complete ban on auctions is a good thing or not.  I know I have conducted a decently run auction (got delayed a touch on sending the pieces out) but it was for a negative profit (donated to GH) and was hoping to do it again sometime depending on if I found something I was willing to part with and could pick it up for a decent price.  That would however be the only reason I would conduct an auction.  Not to get the most money into my pocket but to help raise money for GH.
    OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
    • #geekhack on freenode
    « Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 12:34:50 »
    While I like most of the changes I am not sure if a complete ban on auctions is a good thing or not.  I know I have conducted a decently run auction (got delayed a touch on sending the pieces out) but it was for a negative profit (donated to GH) and was hoping to do it again sometime depending on if I found something I was willing to part with and could pick it up for a decent price.  That would however be the only reason I would conduct an auction.  Not to get the most money into my pocket but to help raise money for GH.

While it's admirable to run charity auctions the fact of the matter is you could just as easily run something on ebay and donate it after, couldn't you?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
    « Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 12:37:17 »

While it's admirable to run charity auctions the fact of the matter is you could just as easily run something on ebay and donate it after, couldn't you?

I could but running the auction here would also have the benefit of keeping the board in the Geekhack community plus then I wouldn't have to deal with ebays seller fees.  I realize that they need to make money but it would be cutting into the donation.  But don't they already run ads on their site?
    OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
    • * Elevated Elder
    • Live long and prosper
    « Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 12:39:52 »

IMO: Charity auctions should be allowed, but only if one is granted permission to do so by a mod/admin.  Being forced to run a charity auction for GH on eBay would be a pain, especially considering that people from outside of GH can become involved, not to mention eBay ad fees, etc.
    tp thread is tp thread
    Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
    • * Elevated Elder
    • on hiatus
    « Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 16:04:12 »
    Ebay fees suck

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
    « Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 16:52:58 »
    Ebay fees suck

But they buy you buyer / seller protection.
    - Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
    - Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
    - Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:32:23 »
    I don't like the picture rule. It's one of those things that exists to avoid issues with a few ****ty sellers at the expense of annoying the majority of good ones. I've happily provided pictures to everyone who has requested them in my sales, and I've requested pictures from others as well. But when dealing with trusted individuals, I just don't care.

But that's, just, like, my opinion, man.

I think having a picture is good for newbies like me who don't always understand the geekhack speech (acronyms and whatnot). I learn a lot about what's out there by browsing the classifieds!
    CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
    • * Maker
    « Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:11:57 »
    I loved the auctions here, and its sad to see them go. I agree they should be changed but NOT eliminated entirely. A separate thread for auctions from the classifieds would have been a better fix IMO, cut down on classifieds clutter and constant bumps. Auctions should be controlled by the "seller" and wouldn't need mod interference, you get sniped or bid ignored? Oh well its under the "sellers terms". All of the auctions i have participated in were clear and cut on the rules, and if i "felt some type of way" about how things went down, i cant really say much as by placing my bid i agreed to the auction terms.

As for unpaid/shill bidding. Ebay is still plagued by unpayers and shill bidding, so i don't really see how using an offsite auction site will prevent this, and frankly i dont have a solution for this other than go down the list of previous bids until you find someone who pays.

Overall if you are worried about being scammed by someone you dont trust, just pony up the extra 3% on paypal fees and have the piece of mind everything will go smoothly. If the deal falls through, paypal will refund your payment since the seller wont have proof of a parcel (offsite protection, with dealings on GH).

Afterall this is the internet and you can't trust everyone. I thought GH was a "community" and moves like this are making the site less and less personal. There is always going to be grey areas/shady people you may deal with, but eliminating auctions all together isnt the answer  :(
    sell out and eat ass

Offline tototo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:18:13 »
    Yay for reduced post quantity. Not a heavy poster and have yet to post enough to create in classifieds but soon I can it seems. Have had to resort to a silly attempt to sell in the signature for now but hope to eventually find somebody interested in buying those I don't have.
    PokerII.ahk | Ducky G2Pro TKLDucky MiniPoker II, Ergodox ClassicErgodox Full hand | For sale: KBT Pure ProDucky YYY TKL

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
    « Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:34:32 »
    Pretty good changes imo

I really don't know how to feel about auctions, if you are auctioning, you are trying to get the highest price you possibly can, right? So why not just sell it or list it for a higher price than you normally would, and if it isn't selling, then lower the price a bit. Yes ebay fees are not fun to pay but I still end up selling most of my stuff on ebay, their buyer/seller protection is good and I haven't ever gotten ripped off in the years I have been using ebay.

Every time I saw an auction on here, I didn't even bother trying to get the item because it just seemed like a pain.

Reduced post count rule should really cut down on the random posts everyone makes in an attempt to get to 60 posts.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
    • IV
      • Gray Designs
    « Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:57:56 »
    I never did like Auctions. I say put the price you want. The end.
    Was that so hard?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
    « Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:26:02 »
    I don't mind auctions either way but I would really like if we could at least allow charity auctions where proceeds are donated back to GH.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
    • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
    « Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:07:37 »
    I don't think I'll be doing anymore charity auctions myself. Honestly, most of the time they settle at a single price within a day and then nothing happens for a week and the person who hit the price just has to wait a week to get their stuff shipped.

I've already talked this over with the mod team and we decided together that it's not a big deal. I'd rather just make cool stuff and then sell it for the site, quite frankly. The auction thing was fun at first, long ago when we first ran them, but there's so much activity in the classifieds section now that charity auctions tend to get lost after N hours for N < 24

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
    • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
    « Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:20:02 »
    Please do not cross-post your sale/trade items here if you have already listed them on another website.

Does that mean I can't have something for sale on both DT and GH?
    https://kbdarchive.org/
    github
    discord: hi mum#5710

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
    • * Destiny Supporter
    • keycult.com
    « Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:28:05 »
    Please do not cross-post your sale/trade items here if you have already listed them on another website.

This is a silly rule, IMO.

Offline regack

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:31:07 »

ahh, I read that rule to mean : don't post a thread saying check out my crap for sale over at "http://othersite.ru" .... but maybe I'm wrong about that.  If that's the case, the rule should be more explict in what it means.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
    • はやく
    « Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:31:12 »

• * Elevated Elder
    • Live long and prosper
    « Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:32:52 »

QFT
    tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
    • * Certified Spammer
    • because reasons.......
    « Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:36:38 »

surely you guys have different user names other places :P

Offline ZeDestructor

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:37:26 »

I agree. We've had classifieds in print (newspapers and the like) for centuries, and posting classified ads has worked well through all that time.

A decent compromise would be to have the seller link external site forum topics, but I feel this boils down to individual choice on the seller's part. If a seller is trying to double-sell, he will easily do that anyways: nothing is stopping you from signing up multiple accounts with different names and taking pictures from different locations.

Really, all this rule really does is annoy legit users who just want to sell their stuff faster by hitting the maximum number of eyeballs.

You should only list for sale or trade items that are already in your possession and include clear photographs of your items (in good light, no blurry night-time “potato shots”) along with your GeekHack.org user name and date the photograph was taken.

Not sure how that works for people who proxy stuff... Maybe some kind of arrangement with mods?

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
    • はやく
    « Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:37:41 »

surely you guys have different user names other places :P

We don't, ray4jc :<

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
    • * Certified Spammer
    • because reasons.......
    « Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:40:28 »

surely you guys have different user names other places :p

We don't, ray4jc :<

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
    « Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:50:29 »

ahh, I read that rule to mean : don't post a thread saying check out my crap for sale over at "http://othersite.ru" .... but maybe I'm wrong about that.  If that's the case, the rule should be more explict in what it means.
    It could mean that. It just wasn't too clear to me what it meant. Wanted to get clarification.
    github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
    « Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:51:36 »
    Yup, that's what it means!  Or Reddit and GH.  One at a time.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
    • はやく
    « Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:53:22 »

Ahh, so no problem in selling at two different sites, just no linking here?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
    « Reply #33 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:54:41 »

It's more for listing the same item in 2+ places at once.  We've had someone try to do an auction on reddit and link it here for more bids and replies, for example.  That was an extreme case, but a bit shady in terms of logistics.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
    • * Destiny Supporter
    • keycult.com
    « Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:54:44 »

Sorry, but which interpretation are you referring to?

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
    • はやく
    « Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:55:45 »

It's more for listing the same item in 2+ places at once.  We've had someone try to do an auction on reddit and link it here for more bids and replies, for example.  That was an extreme case, but a bit shady in terms of logistics.

OK, so the rule is the one we don't like. :(

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
    • * Destiny Supporter
    • keycult.com
    « Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:57:25 »
    Edit: This wasn't constructive.
    « Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:29:22 by riotonthebay »

Offline ZeDestructor

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:08:54 »

Way to Corporate Doublespeak™

First you say you don't want "hey checkout my auction here http://xxxxxxxxxxx/"kind of threads bu posting a proper ad is fine.. but then, BUT a post later, you say that you don't want the same item listed in multiple places.

I can understand banning auctions (that **** goes in great finds), but this isn't how classified ads work. At all.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
    « Reply #38 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:11:35 »
    No, that's not the same thing, if you think about it.  Linking external auctions in a separate subforum is really for eBay links only, and bids are done through eBay.

The double-selling rule is for not creating "WTS" threads for the same thing here, and say, on reddit, where you're taking orders from both websites for the same item.

• * Elevated Elder
    • Live long and prosper
    « Reply #39 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:14:02 »
    No, that's not the same thing, if you think about it.  Linking external auctions in a separate subforum is really for eBay links only, and bids are done through eBay.

The double-selling rule is for not creating "WTS" threads for the same thing here, and say, on reddit, where you're taking orders from both websites for the same item.

Wait, now I'm confused...

So linking to eBay ads is allowed, but double posting the same ad on GH and say, DT or Reddit, is NOT allowed?

Is above statement accurate?
    tp thread is tp thread

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
    « Reply #40 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:14:24 »
    What's the reasoning behind this rule? I just don't see how it can help anything. It would be great if you could explain to me.
    github

Offline ZeDestructor

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:14:47 »

See, this is how it works in paper ads: you list in 5-6 different places, you see a few buyers/sellers, once you reach an agreement, you make the sale. Done. The ads go down. The End. Everyone is happy (assuming the seller delivers, ofc). It's worked for centuires, why change accepted wisdom?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
    • * Certified Spammer
    • because reasons.......
    « Reply #42 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:21:54 »
    What's the reasoning behind this rule? I just don't see how it can help anything. It would be great if you could explain to me.

Well there was that one guy who was selling that keyboard in about 4 different places that he traded for but didn't send his part of the trade.

I would think it would be ok to do so long as it was noted in the OP, something like 'This 'item' also listed at DT', etc....but that is just like my opinion.

• * Elevated Elder
    • Live long and prosper
    « Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:25:19 »

Well there was that one guy who was selling that keyboard in about 4 different places that he traded for but didn't send his part of the trade.

I would think it would be ok to do so long as it was noted in the OP, something like 'This 'item' also listed at DT', etc....but that is just like my opinion.

I agree, if you want to post an ad in multiple places you should be able to so long as you post links to every other ad in each OP.
    tp thread is tp thread

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
    « Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:27:37 »
    The logic was transparency. 

Please keep in mind that these are not the 100% final rules.  They were posted here for review specifically an early announcement of changes, the direction of the changes, and also to collect feedback.  Constructive feedback with pros and cons for points of contention is noted.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
    • * Certified Spammer
    • because reasons.......
    « Reply #45 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:36:12 »
    Is it possible to put a sticky link to this thread here

http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=59.0

so people will know to read through this and be able to share feedback

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
    « Reply #46 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:40:16 »
    In my opinion if you want to link an item you want to sell in multiple places but it needs to be very clear that you are only going to take bids in one place and it should be stated in all link locations. 

Essentially, it should be ok to sell an item on DT, and then be able to post a thread on reddit, GH, what ever site, but you will only accept bids on the DT site as that is the actual sale thread and all others are just in place to increase exposure.  The note about accepting bids on the original thread needs to be very transparent and that all other offers, bids and such will be ignored.  Questions regarding said items should be ok but no money transfer except for the original forum.  In this case DT.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
    • Live long, and prosper.
    « Reply #47 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:43:41 »
    I don't have a problem with people posting an item for sale on multiple sites, as long as they make it VERY CLEAR that the item is posted for sale elsewhere, and probably link to the ad on the other site(s).

If it's to be an auction, which will no longer be allowed on GH, then it should go in the External Auctions subforum.
    KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
    • * Destiny Supporter
    • keycult.com
    « Reply #48 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:45:23 »
    If you're not allowed to post on GH without a firm price (this is a good rule), then what do we gain by preventing someone from posting on multiple forums? If I PM a seller to buy an item at their stated price and find out that they're holding a private bidding war, I can just report their actions and have the thread locked/etc.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
    • * Certified Spammer
    • because reasons.......
    « Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 14:56:16 »
    When do these rules go into practice?