Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in a 3d printed Ergodox tent?  (Read 10365 times)

Offline luis911

Would anyone be interested in a 3d printed Ergodox tent?
« on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:12:14 »
I was thinking about designing and printing a nice base that tents the ergodox for better ergonomics. Has anyone done this before?

I dont have an ergodox yet(ordered it last month from massdrop), but I think I can design something before I receive it. I was thinking about making adding lead weights(The type that you stick on to car wheels) to the inner part of the base, in order to give it a nice heft. Anyhow, tell me what you guys thing.  :thumb:
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Re: Would anyone be interested in a 3d printed Ergodox tent?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:16:11 »
Yes, it is a good idea.

I don't know if someone made one themselves, but you can just use something like this.

I would gladly get some depending on the price, if you made one :)

Offline luis911

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:18:14 »
Yes, it is a good idea.

I don't know if someone made one themselves, but you can just use something like this.

I would gladly get some depending on the price, if you made one :)

That would probably scratch up your desk. I've seen people use those and then have a towel underneath, so thats not so pretty. I'll design something on CAD really quickly and show you what I plan on doing.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:21:25 »
Good point, I haven't thought about the scratching. I can't find those easily here in Brasil anyway :P I saw that in some modelling shops I could get plastic ones, but didn't check in person.

Waiting for your design :)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:23:39 »
Yes, yes, and more yes.

Offline luis911

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:35:00 »
I did this in a couple of minutes
(I could also add holes so that you could bolt it on to your ergodox using the existing screwholes, but you may need to buy slightly longer bolts)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:45:02 »
you guys ever think of re-purposing 2 android tablet covers and use them as a tenting base?

tablet cover

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:50:33 »
(I could also add holes so that you could bolt it on to your ergodox using the existing screwholes, but you may need to buy slightly longer bolts)
Show Image

I would like to bolt it to the edox itself.

Offline luis911

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:52:09 »
Show Image

Exactly, I can line up the holes to the existing holes and then bolt everything together.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:56:04 »
Show Image

Exactly, I can line up the holes to the existing holes and then bolt everything together.

That would be perfect :) :)

Offline luis911

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 19:09:36 »
you guys ever think of re-purposing 2 android tablet covers and use them as a tenting base?

tablet cover

That would probably be really unstable, considering that its not meant to take any real loads.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:32:07 »
That looks like a great idea!

Offline luis911

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:54:15 »
That looks like a great idea!
Thanks. All I really need is an ergodox so that I can make some prototypes. I ordered mine on Massdrop recently, but the wait-time is pretty pretty long.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 01:02:58 »
I would think a base that could be essentially another plate on the bottom with some sort of adjustable mechanism would be the best way to go as not everyone likes the same amount of tenting.  There are a couple ideas floating in my head right now that could work, though it would add to the cad work, complexity of the build and cost.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Larken

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 01:20:38 »
As an alternative, the Kinesis v3 lifters suggested by Glod have served me pretty well for the last 6 months, plus it has 3 different angles @ 5, 10 and 15 degrees. I use velcro, but someone handy could probably just drill a few holes in the bottom plate and the lifters if they want to secure it using bolts.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 06:20:17 »
I'm interested in some alternative to Kinesis V3. Given my access to a 3D printer, it sounds like a better option than overpaying for shipped proprietary stand.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 06:36:54 »
Interested.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline kod

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:59:17 »
Just from eyeballing the 3d render, I'd recommend reducing the overall height.  It's already a really tall keyboard, and if you tent it in such a way that the lower edge of the case is even higher off the ground...

Offline luis911

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:31:40 »
Just from eyeballing the 3d render, I'd recommend reducing the overall height.  It's already a really tall keyboard, and if you tent it in such a way that the lower edge of the case is even higher off the ground...

Thanks for the suggestion, Theres a couple of other ways I can design it. I'm going to find ways to:

1. Decrease the amount of material used
2. Design it so that the angle could be adjusted between 5/10/15 degrees(are those the most popular angles)
3. make it look cool :)

Offline h1ro

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 09:00:58 »
There are also the tented case models on the ergodox.org site itself:

http://ergodox.org/Downloads.aspx

But yes, definitely interested here too

Offline Canut

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 12:35:59 »
Subscribed.

Offline luis911

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 12:51:25 »
Subscribed.
Thanks, although It will take at least a month until I'll be able to print constantly. I have access to printers in my school, but I've also ordered my own printer which I am patiently waiting on.

If anyone wants to volunteer I can send someone a prototype to see if it fits correctly, Although you will have to pay for shipping, and it will only be one side.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 15:37:16 »
If you could share a design, it'd be enough, because hackerspaces are all over the place nowadays.

Offline CJNE

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 16:05:43 »
As an alternative, the Kinesis v3 lifters suggested by Glod have served me pretty well for the last 6 months, plus it has 3 different angles @ 5, 10 and 15 degrees. I use velcro, but someone handy could probably just drill a few holes in the bottom plate and the lifters if they want to secure it using bolts.
Hmm, are those all plastic parts? It might be possible to 3d print something similar to those as an option...

HHKBP2 black and blank - HHKBP2-S white - Filco TKL Majestouch, MX brown - ErgoDox classic MX blue - ErgoDox Czarek case, MX clear and brown

Offline luis911

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 16:43:31 »
Hmm, are those all plastic parts? It might be possible to 3d print something similar to those as an option...

Well 3d printing has it's quirks. I wouldn't design a. 3d printed part in that fashion since I believe it would be more fragile then let's say a sold block. Of course I could do some testing and whatnot, but I don't think it's doable.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 18:00:22 »
There is one topic already talking about this idea.
I don't remember where I saved the dammed link ...

The idea is simple: we need one design with less bridges, something between the original ErgoDox case and that acrylic one.

To be honest I said there that I would draw one case using this idea but I'm still trying to find some free time to make it.

The plate is almost done, now I'm drawing the bottom part of the case to fit into this plate ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline luis911

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 18:17:42 »

The idea is simple: we need one design with less bridges, something between the original ErgoDox case and that acrylic one.

To be honest I said there that I would draw one case using this idea but I'm still trying to find some free time to make it.

The plate is almost done, now I'm drawing the bottom part of the case to fit into this plate ...

I have all the dimensions for the original case, but I don't have any dimensions for the layered acrylic case. Do you have that?

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:27:20 »

I have all the dimensions for the original case, but I don't have any dimensions for the layered acrylic case. Do you have that?
Yes, I do.
Last week I soldered one for LCS and I checked the case dimensions (massdrop acrylic case).
The acrylic case is almost the same one done by lister, only a few cosmetic changes.

3mm top
4mm spacer
5mm plate
4mm spacer
3mm bottom
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:29:55 by agodinhost »
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline luis911

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:34:34 »

Yes, I do.
Last week I soldered one for LCS and I checked the case dimensions (massdrop acrylic case).
The acrylic case is almost the same one done by lister, only a few cosmetic changes.

3mm top
4mm spacer
5mm plate
4mm spacer
3mm bottom
I think the through-holes are positioned completely differently. Perhaps the holes where you mount the PCB are the same relative to one another, but the holes to bolt the layers together are completely different. I haven't found any accurate dimensions for that. I can definitely calculate it by digitally  layering the drawing of the acrylic case on top of the original case and lining up the PCB mount through holes, but I would want to be 100% sure.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:39:59 by luis911 »

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 06:48:50 »

Yes, I do.

3mm top
4mm spacer
5mm plate
4mm spacer
3mm bottom
I think the through-holes are positioned completely differently. Perhaps the holes where you mount the PCB are the same relative to one another, but the holes to bolt the layers together are completely different. I haven't found any accurate dimensions for that. I can definitely calculate it by digitally  layering the drawing of the acrylic case on top of the original case and lining up the PCB mount through holes, but I would want to be 100% sure.
I think you are right - I didn't checked the screw holes at all.
However I'll ignore these screw holes cause my main idea is to reduce the border size - for my design I think that only the PCB dimensions and switch posintions are important.
I'm still drawing the sketches - only the plate is ready and I'll change it in order to fit into the bottom case.

Offline boxfulofsanity

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 12:55:32 »
I'm interested in a 3D printed tent!

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 16:34:14 »
In.

Offline Ch0nG

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:44:42 »
I would be interested in a full-hand version made for a standing desk (e.g. the steepest part is opposite of the Teensy).
Das Ultimate - Blues - Converted to removable USB (Mimic-Cables) - 40 A-L WASD ORings
ErgoDox - ErgoClears ErgoDox - 65g Blues