Author Topic: Spanish distribution on a us keyboard layout  (Read 7434 times)

Offline juguerre

Spanish distribution on a us keyboard layout
« on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 21:16:11 »
Hi all!
This is my first post! (from Barcelona). I don't know if it makes any sense but: Is there some experience adapting (physically) an us keyboard layout  (104 key for example) to use it as an European layout (105 key Spanish layout in my case)?
I know about key cap stickers ... I can accept to lose our "ç" key (to use only 104) but I don't want to use key combination for more common keys like "ñ" or accents.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Andres

Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Spanish distribution on a us keyboard layout
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 21:46:08 »
I have been using US ANSI since I can remmember to write in English, Spanish and French. I do not see any problem with the US International, that allows to use the special characters with either alg gr, or some sequential combinations for accents. I have available all the characters for Spanish and French. I do not understand what do you want to do, because even with an ISO Spanish keyboard you should use sequential characters to write the accented vowels.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 02:05:44 »
If you get a keyboard with programmable firmware, you can set up any kind of character layout you want. :)

Offline Monidas

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 03:30:18 »
Hey, OP

Bilbao representing!

I had the same doubts you had but went with an ANSI keyboard nevertheless. Here's what the Spanish layout for ANSI looks like in Windows 8 without having to do anything but changing the input language in your system properties:

http://imgur.com/FVoEFhk

As you see, you only lose the < > key that sits on the left of your Z key. Eeeeverything else is there.

However, one note: in castellano we barely use the ç, but in catalá you/they do, so it might be a pain in the ass for you to get used to having it where the top bit of your Enter key used to be.

In any event, the full availability of ANSI on almost every model is worth the adaptation. In Europe you have the Keyboard Company in the UK (which is mighty expensive because of the GBP exchange rates) and Verkkokauppa, and both of them carry ISO keyboards (though not in ES). If you need any help, avisa y te echo un cable.

Offline juguerre

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 09:05:54 »
Hi again,
Thank you for your replies!
I have been using US ANSI since I can remmember to write in English, Spanish and French. I do not see any problem with the US International, that allows to use the special characters with either alg gr, or some sequential combinations for accents. I have available all the characters for Spanish and French. I do not understand what do you want to do, because even with an ISO Spanish keyboard you should use sequential characters to write the accented vowels.

I write only in Spanish (and a little bit English). The thing is I don't want to remap my mind to other layout. I use keyboard at home and at work so I prefer to stay close to spanish layout. I understand that is perfectly possible to write Spanish with US International.

Hey, OP

Bilbao representing!

I had the same doubts you had but went with an ANSI keyboard nevertheless. Here's what the Spanish layout for ANSI looks like in Windows 8 without having to do anything but changing the input language in your system properties:

http://imgur.com/FVoEFhk

As you see, you only lose the < > key that sits on the left of your Z key. Eeeeverything else is there.

However, one note: in castellano we barely use the ç, but in catalá you/they do, so it might be a pain in the ass for you to get used to having it where the top bit of your Enter key used to be.

In any event, the full availability of ANSI on almost every model is worth the adaptation. In Europe you have the Keyboard Company in the UK (which is mighty expensive because of the GBP exchange rates) and Verkkokauppa, and both of them carry ISO keyboards (though not in ES). If you need any help, avisa y te echo un cable.

Monidas, that's exactly the info I was locking for. I just don't have any ANSI keyboard to do the test. Thank you very much. I really, really don't understand why is so difficult to get mechanical keyboards with Spanish layout  :(

Cheers!
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 09:39:09 »
i do not really see the big deal in using a few characters in different positions. In general most of the alpha characters are in the same position. And the ç is not required for Spanish, so why are you so concerned with it? the ñ, and accented characters are very handy, and in pretty much the same way they are available in an ISO Spanish layout. But anyways, it appears you already got your answer, which is what we love about this site. Welcome again.

Offline Monidas

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 09:40:24 »
Well, you have 2 main choices:
ISO layouts with caps in Spanish: you have the Razers, the Corsairs, maybe some CoolerMasters and the KBT Pures through Amazon. It is a really narrow spectrum for choice. Too narrow to be acceptable.

ISO layouts with caps in other languages: With these keyboards you will have the exact same layout that you have in Spanish, but with the caps showing different legends. Whatever the caps read, every single key will be as it is in Spanish.

The selecion in ISO is not as broad as ANSI, but you have more wiggle room to choose from. Your main choices would be The Keyboard Company, Verkkokauppa and the European Amazon sites.
Actually in Verkkokauppa the have a most tempting white Realforce for just EUR 110.

I would recommend getting an ISO keyboard in whatever language and adapting to it. It will be quick. And it mechs it is a pleasure to learn to touch type.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 10:09:44 »
...or ErgoDox and a custom layout. Someone had to say it.

Offline juguerre

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 12:47:23 »
i do not really see the big deal in using a few characters in different positions. In general most of the alpha characters are in the same position. And the ç is not required for Spanish, so why are you so concerned with it? the ñ, and accented characters are very handy, and in pretty much the same way they are available in an ISO Spanish layout. But anyways, it appears you already got your answer, which is what we love about this site. Welcome again.
Thank you very much ideus. If finally I get an US keyboard I will try US International layout ... may be is the best solution.

Yep, Realforce seems very tempting. I have no experience with topre switches but this is a very good price! I sent an email to verkkokauppa.com because they are not shipping to Spain on the online site...

ErgoDox is really cool man!! I can imagine my coworkers face if they saw me using one of these!  :eek:

Offline juguerre

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 06:53:49 »
Finally I was tempted for topre ...  ;D
Sales people from verkkokauppa.com are shipping to all europe countries. Shipping is not cheap but the item price is really outstanding ... ETA: five days!!
  :thumb:

Offline Monidas

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 18:37:20 »
May I ask how much are they charging you for shipping to Spain (if you are indeed there)?

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 22:28:58 »
I didn't read the replies, so my apologies if I comment superfluously.

I alternate between English and Spanish layouts on a software level - simply using the Region and Language keyboard settings from Control panel.

The physical layout is VERY similar to ANSI, the only functional impact I find the Spanish layout has on my English typing is the ' character we use for "It's" etc which obviously doesn't exist in Spanish. The difference in Spanish is more significant, obviously, as you need the accent modifier key to type correctly and the ñ.

Honestly, I don't see any reason for purchasing a Spanish layout keyboard when it is very easy to adapt to using a physical ANSI layout with software level Spanish key assignments.

I have BLANK keycaps on my keyboard, so for me, my brain just switches between modes, which is physically done by pressing left shift and left alt together (it toggles through languages).
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline juguerre

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 13:09:11 »
May I ask how much are they charging you for shipping to Spain (if you are indeed there)?
Yes,  I'm in Spain. They charged 30€ for shipping.  That cost is clearly above the standard in Europe ...  But 109€ for a Realforce...  :))

Offline Monidas

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:01:29 »
Ouch... But well worth it, because of the low cost of the board, I guess. Keyboardco's prices are much higher and importing from EK would have been more expensive anyways.

Enjoy your new board and thanks for the info!