Author Topic: Kinesis 130 Questions  (Read 1713 times)

Offline dabbith

Kinesis 130 Questions
« on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 13:58:56 »
Hello,

I just picked up a couple Kinesis 130 keyboards (one for home, one for work).  I was wondering if anyone had a PDF of the manual for either of these keyboards? (130EM, 132PC)

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew the part number/specifications for the memory chips? 

Both of the keyboards I bought are Essential, and one is ADB, so I'm trying to decide if I should build a new controller board, or add memory and use the existing controller board.  For the 130EM I either need to build a controller or a ADB->USB converter.  I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to adapt the firmware from the ErgoDox if I need to build a controller.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
Re: Kinesis 130 Questions
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:39:45 »
You can get the memory chips directly from Kinesis.

As for the 130EM, I believe it has a din5 connector. From there you can use a PS/2 converter then an Active PS/2 to USB adaptor.

Offline dabbith

Re: Kinesis 130 Questions
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 12:37:23 »
Thanks,

For some reason I was thinking that was an ADB DIN connector.  Cool, so that allowed me to hook up the keyboard and use it for now.

I think I'm starting to lean toward building an ErgoDox controller board for the keyboards.  I like the idea of being able to add buttons that weren't originally on the keyboard and have USB without adapters.  I wish I could find the edge/ribbon connectors that were used to attach the keys to the controller board since I'm slightly scared to sacrifice the original board, but the result should be worth it.