Author Topic: RAT 9 Alternatives  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Misterorjoe

RAT 9 Alternatives
« on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 22:32:21 »
I bought a RAT 9 a couple months ago (ebay) and absolutely love it, except for a not so minor issue. It has many tracking issues. And from my research, these issues are very common, and not even Cyborg seems capable of fixing them. I can't imagine switching back to a small two finger mouse again, and I love the pinky holder thing that the RAT has available, and would hate to lose it.

Bassically what I am asking is there a mouse that is exactly like the RAT 9 in every way, except it doesn't break all the time? Pretend that money is no object, but I am not going to fabricate one myself.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: RAT 9 Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 04:57:42 »
If you can handle losing a lot of features (wireless, thumb scroll, etc) the R.A.T. 3 now has a good optical sensor and works nicely. You can adjust the palm rest by removing the screw on the side.

P.S.: this should probably have been posted in "Input Devices" rather than "Ergonomics".
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 10:04:02 »
RatM has the same issues you described. I have only been using it for its bluetooth connectivity and its extremely compact size. It jumps and freezes up alot, i would never trust it for gaming, than again i would never game on a wireless mouse.

I do use my Rat7 for more precise applications and have never ran into a single issue. So i cant completely bash mad catz, i do enjoy their mouse line. I believe its just their wireless components that arent all that great :/
sell out and eat ass

Offline moptimus

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 07:52:54 »
I have had similar issues with the RAT7 and I did find that for some reason it didn't like to work with black surfaces.

The main issue I had with it was the random periods where it would get bored of doing what I asked it to and go for a wander by itself across my screen. That and the times it decided that it was not going to track the cursor down no matter what.

Try it with a lighter coloured surface, maybe just a sheet of printer paper as a first step?

Filco TKL Brown| Dox Clear| Poker II Brown| QFR Red| Ducky Zero Blue Dolch| Ducky 9087G2 Black

Offline physicsmajor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 21:13:57 »
I have had similar issues with the RAT7 and I did find that for some reason it didn't like to work with black surfaces.

The main issue I had with it was the random periods where it would get bored of doing what I asked it to and go for a wander by itself across my screen. That and the times it decided that it was not going to track the cursor down no matter what.

Try it with a lighter coloured surface, maybe just a sheet of printer paper as a first step?

I've had occasional issues with the RAT 7 where it fails to track one axis. Not sure where the problem is, but it's always worked itself out. Gotten me fragged a few times, though.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 18:47:13 »
Haven't had any tracking issues with with my rat 7. Not trying to deny that some had problems with it though.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0