Author Topic: What is the left Shift v.s. right Shift-key frequency on a QWERTY keyboard?  (Read 14186 times)

Offline wolfv

I am designing a layout and am deciding if the shift key should go on the left thumb or right thumb.

What is the left Shift v.s. right Shift-key frequency on a standard QWERTY keyboard?

With Qwerty, the left hand does 70% of the work, while the right hand does only 30%.
DataHand has the Shift key on the left thumb.

The Space and Enter keys will be on the thumb opposite the Shift key (for Space-Shift and Enter-Shift bigraphs).

Thank you.

Offline nomaded

If you're putting the shift key on the thumb, then it shouldn't matter what hand invokes the modifier since holding down shift with your thumb will not prevent the same hand from hitting the other keys with the rest of the fingers. I would say it's personal preference. On my ErgoDox layout, I have a layer key in the thumb cluster and usually hit keys with the same hand.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:43:11 by nomaded »
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
What's a right shift? 99.99% of the time I use the left shift

Offline PolaBurrr

I use left/right shift depending on which hand I am typing the letter with.

Offline Tony

Unlike normal keys, you can choose to press either Shift. So there is no fixed frequency.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline wolfv

If you're putting the shift key on the thumb, then it shouldn't matter what hand invokes the modifier since holding down shift with your thumb will not prevent the same hand from hitting the other keys with the rest of the fingers. I would say it's personal preference. On my ErgoDox layout, I have a layer key in the thumb cluster and usually hit keys with the same hand.
nomaded, When you hit thumb and finger key with the same hand, do you move the whole hand down to strike the two keys simultaneously?

LONGZILLA, is there a reason for using just the right shift?
I use the shift key that is on the opposite hand from the key I am capitalizing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:48:26 by wolfv »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
r shift is a joke. I only press it when I'm bored

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I use mostly the left shift.

Offline jacobolus

I almost exclusively use right shift, except for symbols the right pinky would press, or right-hand number-row keys. My girlfriend almost exclusively uses left shift (with her smaller hands she finds right shift takes more work to reach and so is less comfortable).

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
I've slowly learned to use the shift opposite the key I'm pressing most of the time, has a much nicer typing flow and doesn't strain your hand like you're using Emacs. I think there is a pretty good case for have one shift on each thumb cluster. I should note that I'm not using Qwerty though, so the statistics are probably different.

Now use both thumbs on the space bar.. that's way too hard :p

Offline wolfv

It's surprising how many of you have a strong preference for left or right shift key.
I take it that you strike the finger key and thumb key with one hand motion when the capitalized key is on your favored shift key hand.  Is that correct?

I use what ever shift key is on the opposite hand from the key I am capitalizing.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Prob cuz im a lefty, I mainly use the left side mods vs the right side mods.

Offline wolfv

Now that make sense (I have a lot to learn about keyboard design).

Thank you all for your inputs, it was interesting :thumb:.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Now that make sense (I have a lot to learn about keyboard design).

Thank you all for your inputs, it was interesting :thumb:.

It could also be from gaming

People get so used to having left hand for the gaming keys and right hand on mouse that they use left side mods and shift more than right

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
I use the right shift as much as I use tilde
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Linkbane

Efficient typing dictates the use of the opposite hand shift (or Caps Lock, if you're Wrona). It would be best to include two shifts.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline jacobolus

Efficient typing dictates the use of the opposite hand shift (or Caps Lock, if you're Wrona). It would be best to include two shifts.
If you have the shift on a thumb key, especially if everything is in a more ergonomic layout than a standard keyboard, I don’t think it’s really such a problem to use the same hand.

Offline ferociousfingerings

yep, always opposite hand for shift... unless right hand is busy w/ mouse.
Logitech G710+

Offline Linkbane

If you have the shift on a thumb key, especially if everything is in a more ergonomic layout than a standard keyboard, I don’t think it’s really such a problem to use the same hand.

But then there's the huge problem that different layouts use different hands for space bars, pretty much necessitating two. Dvorak users definitely couldn't use a left shift, because left thumb is always for spacebar, and most QWERTY wouldn't use a right shift, because the right thumb is usually used for it.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline jacobolus

But then there's the huge problem that different layouts use different hands for space bars, pretty much necessitating two. Dvorak users definitely couldn't use a left shift, because left thumb is always for spacebar, and most QWERTY wouldn't use a right shift, because the right thumb is usually used for it.
I’m not following. If you have at least 2-3 thumb keys on each hand, you can pick whatever you like for shift, and whatever you like for spacebar. Most people don’t need to hold shift while they press spacebar, so it would be possible to put them on the same hand if you want, or opposite hands, or have 2 spacebars or 2 shifts.

Personally I’d put spacebar, tab, & some modifiers on the left thumb and shift, backspace, & enter on the right thumb.

I know a bunch of QWERTY users who exclusively type the spacebar with their left thumb (I fall in this camp myself). I don’t have any way to judge what “most” people do... did you take a poll or something? Why couldn’t DVORAK users type the spacebar with their right thumb if they want?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 19:29:38 by jacobolus »

Offline Linkbane

I’m not following. If you have at least 2-3 thumb keys on each hand, you can pick whatever you like for shift, and whatever you like for spacebar. Most people don’t need to hold shift while they press spacebar, so it would be possible to put them on the same hand if you want, or opposite hands, or have 2 spacebars or 2 shifts.

Personally I’d put spacebar, tab, & some modifiers on the left thumb and shift, backspace, & enter on the right thumb.

I know a bunch of QWERTY users who exclusively type the spacebar with their left thumb (I fall in this camp myself). I don’t have any way to judge what “most” people do... did you take a poll or something? Why couldn’t DVORAK users type the spacebar with their right thumb if they want?

Calm down. If you look at finger usage maps across layouts, you will see how optimal and proper typing is. Every study, including carpalx, indicates exclusive right hand QWERTY spacebar and exclusive left hand Dvorak spacebar, because the other hand does the majority of the work. Trust me when I say I know more about layouts and typing than the vast majority of people on this site, having spent many hours on that subject of study.

It makes no sense for any Dvorak user to not use his right thumb for a cluster and make the left thumb do even more, vice-versa for QWERTY. This is an ergonomic board, not a 'deal with our layout' board, and you're clearly missing the point of the thread.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 23:32:13 by Linkbane »

Offline nomaded

nomaded, When you hit thumb and finger key with the same hand, do you move the whole hand down to strike the two keys simultaneously?

Nope, not on a layout that I've put a modifier of some sort on a thumb accessible key, like the ErgoDox or TECK. I hold the modifier and then type like normal with the rest of my fingers. I don't need to do any major hand movements - at least no more than what's needed for typing of the alpha keys.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad

Offline nomaded

Calm down. If you look at fiver usage maps across layouts, you will see how optimal and proper typing is. Every study, including carpalx, indicates exclusive right hand QWERTY spacebar and exclusive left hand Dvorak spacebar, because the other hand does the majority of the work. Trust me when I say I know more about layouts and typing than the vast majority of people on this site, having spent many hours on that subject of study.

It makes no sense for any Dvorak user to not use his right thumb for a cluster and make the left thumb do even more, vice-versa for QWERTY. This is an ergonomic board, not a 'deal with our layout' board, and you're clearly missing the point of the thread.

Yeah, I don't follow here. When I used to type Qwerty on a regular basis, on a staggered keyboard, I used my right thumb for space, and alternated holding shift. Now that I type Dvorak nearly 100% of the time, and type on both staggered and columnular keyboards, I still use my right thumb for space.

On keyboards with thumb keys, I also use my right thumb for enter. I use my left thumb for backspace and delete. I do use both thumbs for layer changes. But I went back to my pinky fingers for shift.
Dvorak

Offline Linkbane

Calm down. If you look at fiver usage maps across layouts, you will see how optimal and proper typing is. Every study, including carpalx, indicates exclusive right hand QWERTY spacebar and exclusive left hand Dvorak spacebar, because the other hand does the majority of the work. Trust me when I say I know more about layouts and typing than the vast majority of people on this site, having spent many hours on that subject of study.

Yeah, I don't follow here. When I used to type Qwerty on a regular basis, on a staggered keyboard, I used my right thumb for space, and alternated holding shift. Now that I type Dvorak nearly 100% of the time, and type on both staggered and columnular keyboards, I still use my right thumb for space.

On keyboards with thumb keys, I also use my right thumb for enter. I use my left thumb for backspace and delete. I do use both thumbs for layer changes. But I went back to my pinky fingers for shift.

You are a statistically insignificant minority, that is all.

Offline jacobolus

If you look at fiver usage maps across layouts, you will see how optimal and proper typing is.
What is “fiver”? Google isn’t turning anything up.

Every study, including carpalx, indicates exclusive right hand QWERTY spacebar and exclusive left hand Dvorak spacebar, because the other hand does the majority of the work.
Carpalx isn’t a “study” as far as I can tell. It’s apparently tool for scoring key layouts based on the personal biases and preferences of the programmer who created it, and his impressions of movement difficulty based on existing physical keyboards, not theoretical ergonomic keyboard designs. I haven’t exhaustively examined the carpalx site though. I should look more closely at just what their code does and what they’ve concluded from it.

It’s entirely unclear to me that following a finger keypress with a same-hand thumb keypress is substantively less efficient or comfortable than following a finger keypress with an opposite-hand thumb keypress. Do you have some kind data showing this, or even some kind of reasoning based on hand anatomy or something? Can you talk us through it, maybe, or provide a link?

Trust me when I say I know more about layouts and typing than the vast majority of people on this site, having spent many hours on that subject of study.

All I can see is a bunch of assertions, based on unexplained premises and unexplained logic.

“Trust me, I know everything” is not a convincing argument.

Edit: I’m not trying to be argumentative here. I’m curious to see some real data or a solid logical reasoning/analysis. I haven’t seen much on this subject that is especially convincing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 23:23:49 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

That kind of goes without saying, when he said he has a keyboard with thumb keys. But so what? He’s talking about optimal efficiency/accuracy/comfort here, and personal preference, not most common practice on a Sholes/QWERTY/IBM layout keyboard.

Do you actually have some data about most common typing practices though? I’d be curious to see those.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 23:01:23 by jacobolus »

Offline Linkbane

That kind of goes without saying, when he said he has a keyboard with thumb keys. But so what? He’s talking about optimal efficiency/accuracy/comfort here, and personal preference, not most common practice on a Sholes/QWERTY/IBM layout keyboard.

Do you actually have some data about most common typing practices though? I’d be curious to see those.

I've provided already that the spacebar is always used on the hand which works less. Stop making me reiterate; it's optimal, it's the best option, and doing otherwise is self-hindering.

If you look at fiver usage maps across layouts, you will see how optimal and proper typing is.
What is “fiver”? Google isn’t turning anything up.

Every study, including carpalx, indicates exclusive right hand QWERTY spacebar and exclusive left hand Dvorak spacebar, because the other hand does the majority of the work.
Carpalx isn’t a “study” as far as I can tell. It’s apparently tool for scoring key layouts based on the personal biases and preferences of the programmer who created it, and his impressions of movement difficulty based on existing physical keyboards, not theoretical ergonomic keyboard designs. I haven’t exhaustively examined the carpalx site though. I should look more closely at just what their code does and what they’ve concluded from it.

It’s entirely unclear to me that following a finger keypress with a same-hand thumb keypress is substantively less efficient or comfortable than following a finger keypress with an opposite-hand thumb keypress. Do you have some kind data showing this, or even some kind of reasoning based on hand anatomy or something? Can you talk us through it, maybe, or provide a link?

Trust me when I say I know more about layouts and typing than the vast majority of people on this site, having spent many hours on that subject of study.

All I can see is a bunch of assertions, based on unexplained premises and unexplained logic.

“Trust me, I know everything” is not a convincing argument.

Edit: I’m not trying to be argumentative here. I’m curious to see some real data or a solid logical reasoning/analysis. I haven’t seen much on this subject that is especially convincing.

Your original post was so flawed that it was ridiculous. You made the point that people don't have to hold down shift while holding spacebar; while that is quite obviously true, you ignore the fact that you have ANOTHER finger completely unoccupied. In essence, you're just loading another finger for no reason, besides to argue with me because you were flaming at me in another thread.

Basically, you ignore my evidence by passing it off as irrelevant, while demanding harder evidence when you say that carpalx is not a study and therefore doesn't matter. You then hope for 'actual studies', but it's your fault that you don't accept solid evidence. Carpalx is used as a standard in ergonomic layout discussions to this day, so there's nothing I'm doing wrong when you don't accept it because you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

If you want to talk about why you use the thumb on the less used hand, the reason is simple. When you're actually in need of typing fast, it restricts the moving hand greatly by forcing it to keep level on the keyboard. When any Dvorak user I have seen is typing (all >100 wpm, so perhaps I'm going overly optimal?), their left hand barely moves, as is planned by the design, and stays with the thumb on the spacebar. The right hand, due to its need to move much more, has the right thumb off of the keyboard and the movement of the hand is completely free. Again, I've spent a long time researching efficiency from literature on the subjects/advice from better typists than me.

Also, I really like the little bit about my spelling and how you made that your first point. It really shows how solid your argument is.

Offline Linkbane

I'm posting again because I'm done with wasting time on replying to jacobobolus, as it's completely derailed the thread. You've made ad hominem attacks when I've provided evidence (can't seem to find any of yours, strangely), saying that I've made unsubstantiated claims, which is ironic to me. You then try to ridicule me, by bringing up random suggestions about anatomy and how I could possibly walk you through it (hopefully that's not necessary considering your age), and finally some pretty sickening attempts to cover yourself by saying that you're not arguing.

Next time you accuse someone of making "assertions, based on unexplained premises and unexplained logic" when I have to tell you absolutely everything (which I do, as well as explaining all factors in depth and providing evidence where it is due), and you provide no proof or evidence of any sort (I guess my spelling was a problem, sorry for having a broken laptop), say that again, see how it goes.

TL;DR, I've kept civil, and encouraged no argument, you started making false and personal attacks, while clearly being incorrect. Keep it up, buddy.

Offline tbc

my right shift is a backspace....derr
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline jacobolus

Hey Linkbane,

I think you’re really dramatically misinterpreting my intended tone here. I’m not trying to insult you, or even suggest that you’re wrong. I certainly don’t want to waste anyone’s time. I just didn’t/don’t understand the logical argument, because as far as I can tell both the premises and the reasoning have been insufficiently elaborated.

Thanks for throwing in this part:
If you want to talk about why you use the thumb on the less used hand, the reason is simple. When you're actually in need of typing fast, it restricts the moving hand greatly by forcing it to keep level on the keyboard.
That’s just the kind of detail I was looking for. I'm not sure that I agree though, especially when it comes to a custom physical layout. Personally, I don’t find that my hands really need to move that much, and in particular [when typing on a regular keyboard with QWERTY layout] my left hand doesn’t move much at all. My right hand moves somewhat more to hit the return key, the further-away shift key, the really badly placed backwards delete key (moving this to a thumb is SO nice), the 'Y' key (it’s a bit more common a letter, and requires slightly more reaching than 'B' because it’s diagonal up, instead of straight across, given the typical position my hands are in), and all the random punctuation and symbols essential for programming ... but it’s still not really all that much movement. I think by just the “how much hand movement is required” metric, I’d tend to recommend using the left thumb for the spacebar regardless of the specific character layout, because of how much further over the right hand part of the keyboard extends, and especially how many more keys the right hand ring finger and pinky are responsible for.

But to be honest, I doubt it makes tremendously much difference. I’m curious what differences you’d see if you took two batches of typists and trained some to use only their right thumb for spacebar, and others to use only their left thumb. My suspicion is that the differences would be negligible.

I’m decidedly not an expert here, and in particular I haven’t spent any substantial amount of time examining carpalx. As far as I can tell, carpalx is a computer program, which, based on the particular set of assumptions baked into it, gives scores to key layouts. It’s a tool which is only useful insofar as (a) its premises are correct, and I’m not sure I buy that; and (b) the program does what you want, but for instance I don’t know if carpalx is designed to analyze new three-dimensional layouts – it seems like to do so would require a detailed model of hand anatomy. But again I haven’t studied it in any detail. It’s definitely not a “study”.

For example, one of the premises behind carpalx is that particular fingers will type particular keys... but they don’t seem to have lead off with an analysis of which finger it’s most comfortable to use to type each letter (for even an average shaped hand, not to mention especially large or small hands). Or maybe they have, and I just didn’t see it. To make this concrete.. here’s approximately the way I use my fingers on the keys of a standard layout keyboard, which is based on tilting my hands slightly inward to reduce wrist twisting, and is based on which motions are then most comfortable for me:

You’ll notice that this differs from the standard recommendation of, say, high school typing teachers, or the model-defining assumptions of Carpalx and similar software. Using my own assignment of fingers to letters, I would arrive at different conclusions about which layouts are more or less optimized than someone else would get who only used the “standard” finger to type each letter. But if you observe various typists in practice (i.e. if you just watch people in coffee shops, or at the office, or whatever) you’ll notice that most people have their own idiosyncratic typing styles which have similar kinds of deviations from “standard”. Indeed, I don’t think the standard way was very carefully thought out, and many of the standard motions are quite uncomfortable. For example, I find typing the 'x' and 'c' keys with ring and middle finger, respectively, is quite uncomfortable, even though this is the method typically considered standard.

I am genuinely curious to see some studies about which fingers get used for which keys by real people, in practice, and also genuinely curious to see any study related to ergonomic keyboard design with solid experimental design; almost all of the keyboard-related ergonomics studies I’ve seen suffer from all kinds of problems: small sample sizes, biased user selection, bad controls, bad data analysis, etc.

I’m not trying to flame you, or bait you into flaming me. If anything I’ve said seems dismissive or insulting, I sincerely apologize; that was certainly not my intent. I admit I’m sometimes not very good at conveying the tone of friendly and respectful inquiry that I’m aiming for. [This is the internet: if there’s one thing we’ve learned in the last 30 years it’s that discussing anything on the internet tends to lead to misunderstandings.]

If you’re ever in San Francisco, drop me a line and I’ll buy you a beer.

Your original post was so flawed that it was ridiculous.
Which post, and what’s the flaw? I wasn’t aiming for ridiculous.

Also, I really like the little bit about my spelling and how you made that your first point.
I thought you were talking about some kind of thing called “fiver”, which I have never heard of. If you actually meant “five usage maps across layouts”, I still don’t know what you mean [which is why I assumed it was the name of something specific]. Which usage maps are we talking about? (What’s a “usage map”?) Do you have a link?

You then try to ridicule me, by bringing up random suggestions about anatomy and how I could possibly walk you through it
I’m not joking here. If there’s a good argument here based on hand anatomy, I want to understand.

Maybe to clarify my motivation here a bit: I want to build my own ergonomic keyboard, write my own firmware for it, and come up with a new character layout for it, which matches whatever shape hardware I end up with [I’m not sure how much carpalx will help me here: I might have to also write some software for optimizing the character layout given my own scoring of key combination ease/efficiency... but I should investigate]. So I want to understand everything I can about efficiency, accuracy, and comfort on existing keyboards, so that whatever I finally make ends up being effective.

I’ve personally found that if, in my custom ergo keyboard shape, I position finger and thumb keys in such a way that requires no substantial reaching to hit any key, then the use of thumbs and the use of fingers on the same hand seems relatively independent. That is, holding down a thumb key for shift and then using keys on the same hand to type capital letters doesn’t seem to be especially slower than just typing those letters without the thumb held down. Likewise, pressing a thumb-key spacebar with the thumb on the same hand whose fingers are used for letters right before/after it doesn’t seem to be any slower than pressing a thumb-key spacebar on the other hand. This seems to be more true when the thumb keys are placed very near to the neutral resting position of the thumb, and angled to align with the natural directions of thumb joint motion. A standard keyboard definitely requires some constant thumb flexion away from its neutral position, and the standard keyboard spacebar is not ideally oriented to take advantage of thumb motion. So I can imagine that on a standard keyboard, a hand whose thumb is completely unused will have an easier time pressing finger keys.

Have you ever used any non-standard-shaped keyboards, especially ones with extra thumb keys such as the Maltron, Kinesis, Ergodox, or μTRON? If so, what did you think of them?

Inre the other thread, about MX blue switches, I think you’re maybe confusing me with another poster, or interpreting my words in a different way than I intended them? I wasn’t trying to insult/dismiss/antagonize you over there either. I was just asking which switches you’d tried, and suggesting some other types of clicky switches that you might enjoy. Thanks for explaining what you liked and didn’t like about MX blue and Model F switches: I thought your explanation was entirely reasonable; these choices are, of course, a matter of personal preference and taste.

wolfv, hopefully I’m not derailing your thread. :-)
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 April 2014, 05:00:28 by jacobolus »

Offline Lanx

PROPER use of shift is to the opposite hand to shift with the corresponding letter, for example use l-shift for capital H and r-shift for capital G.

of course when re-mapping and using thumb-shift, it doesn't matter, choose you're preferred thumb (i use l-thumb)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
I use both, opposite hand to the key I'm pressing.

However, on a thumb cluster it should go on the "mirror" key to the space button since space and shift are the most used keys other than alphas. I use right thumb for my space on a normal board, so on my ergo board I have space on the right thumb, shift on left. Both on the keys that my thumbs land on naturally when typing. You only need one shift if you use a thumb button.

Enter is on the right thumb, backspace on the left.

I have then set Ctrl and Alt on the right thumb so I can combine them with shift. They are positioned in such a way that I can press them independently or together as needed. That way I can get every modifier combination easily.

That leaves Tab and a layer key for the left thumb. Works beautifully. I really put a lot of thought into my thumb clusters:

60518-0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Shift frequency, i.e. how frequent are left-/right-hand letters in uppercase? Or have I missed something?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Shift frequency, i.e. how frequent are left-/right-hand letters in uppercase? Or have I missed something?

You know that threads frequently derailed into something related, but not the main original poster's focus. It is the way GH is. But thank you for your attention call.

Offline Linkbane

Hey Linkbane,

I think you’re really dramatically misinterpreting my intended tone here. I’m not trying to insult you, or even suggest that you’re wrong. I certainly don’t want to waste anyone’s time. I just didn’t/don’t understand the logical argument, because as far as I can tell both the premises and the reasoning have been insufficiently elaborated.

Thanks for throwing in this part:
If you want to talk about why you use the thumb on the less used hand, the reason is simple. When you're actually in need of typing fast, it restricts the moving hand greatly by forcing it to keep level on the keyboard.
That’s just the kind of detail I was looking for. I'm not sure that I agree though, especially when it comes to a custom physical layout. Personally, I don’t find that my hands really need to move that much, and in particular [when typing on a regular keyboard with QWERTY layout] my left hand doesn’t move much at all. My right hand moves somewhat more to hit the return key, the further-away shift key, the really badly placed backwards delete key (moving this to a thumb is SO nice), the 'Y' key (it’s a bit more common a letter, and requires slightly more reaching than 'B' because it’s diagonal up, instead of straight across, given the typical position my hands are in), and all the random punctuation and symbols essential for programming ... but it’s still not really all that much movement. I think by just the “how much hand movement is required” metric, I’d tend to recommend using the left thumb for the spacebar regardless of the specific character layout, because of how much further over the right hand part of the keyboard extends, and especially how many more keys the right hand ring finger and pinky are responsible for.

But to be honest, I doubt it makes tremendously much difference. I’m curious what differences you’d see if you took two batches of typists and trained some to use only their right thumb for spacebar, and others to use only their left thumb. My suspicion is that the differences would be negligible.

I’m decidedly not an expert here, and in particular I haven’t spent any substantial amount of time examining carpalx. As far as I can tell, carpalx is a computer program, which, based on the particular set of assumptions baked into it, gives scores to key layouts. It’s a tool which is only useful insofar as (a) its premises are correct, and I’m not sure I buy that; and (b) the program does what you want, but for instance I don’t know if carpalx is designed to analyze new three-dimensional layouts – it seems like to do so would require a detailed model of hand anatomy. But again I haven’t studied it in any detail. It’s definitely not a “study”.

For example, one of the premises behind carpalx is that particular fingers will type particular keys... but they don’t seem to have lead off with an analysis of which finger it’s most comfortable to use to type each letter (for even an average shaped hand, not to mention especially large or small hands). Or maybe they have, and I just didn’t see it. To make this concrete.. here’s approximately the way I use my fingers on the keys of a standard layout keyboard, which is based on tilting my hands slightly inward to reduce wrist twisting, and is based on which motions are then most comfortable for me:
Show Image

You’ll notice that this differs from the standard recommendation of, say, high school typing teachers, or the model-defining assumptions of Carpalx and similar software. Using my own assignment of fingers to letters, I would arrive at different conclusions about which layouts are more or less optimized than someone else would get who only used the “standard” finger to type each letter. But if you observe various typists in practice (i.e. if you just watch people in coffee shops, or at the office, or whatever) you’ll notice that most people have their own idiosyncratic typing styles which have similar kinds of deviations from “standard”. Indeed, I don’t think the standard way was very carefully thought out, and many of the standard motions are quite uncomfortable. For example, I find typing the 'x' and 'c' keys with ring and middle finger, respectively, is quite uncomfortable, even though this is the method typically considered standard.

I am genuinely curious to see some studies about which fingers get used for which keys by real people, in practice, and also genuinely curious to see any study related to ergonomic keyboard design with solid experimental design; almost all of the keyboard-related ergonomics studies I’ve seen suffer from all kinds of problems: small sample sizes, biased user selection, bad controls, bad data analysis, etc.

I’m not trying to flame you, or bait you into flaming me. If anything I’ve said seems dismissive or insulting, I sincerely apologize; that was certainly not my intent. I admit I’m sometimes not very good at conveying the tone of friendly and respectful inquiry that I’m aiming for. [This is the internet: if there’s one thing we’ve learned in the last 30 years it’s that discussing anything on the internet tends to lead to misunderstandings.]

If you’re ever in San Francisco, drop me a line and I’ll buy you a beer.

Your original post was so flawed that it was ridiculous.
Which post, and what’s the flaw? I wasn’t aiming for ridiculous.

Also, I really like the little bit about my spelling and how you made that your first point.
I thought you were talking about some kind of thing called “fiver”, which I have never heard of. If you actually meant “five usage maps across layouts”, I still don’t know what you mean [which is why I assumed it was the name of something specific]. Which usage maps are we talking about? (What’s a “usage map”?) Do you have a link?

You then try to ridicule me, by bringing up random suggestions about anatomy and how I could possibly walk you through it
I’m not joking here. If there’s a good argument here based on hand anatomy, I want to understand.

Maybe to clarify my motivation here a bit: I want to build my own ergonomic keyboard, write my own firmware for it, and come up with a new character layout for it, which matches whatever shape hardware I end up with [I’m not sure how much carpalx will help me here: I might have to also write some software for optimizing the character layout given my own scoring of key combination ease/efficiency... but I should investigate]. So I want to understand everything I can about efficiency, accuracy, and comfort on existing keyboards, so that whatever I finally make ends up being effective.

I’ve personally found that if, in my custom ergo keyboard shape, I position finger and thumb keys in such a way that requires no substantial reaching to hit any key, then the use of thumbs and the use of fingers on the same hand seems relatively independent. That is, holding down a thumb key for shift and then using keys on the same hand to type capital letters doesn’t seem to be especially slower than just typing those letters without the thumb held down. Likewise, pressing a thumb-key spacebar with the thumb on the same hand whose fingers are used for letters right before/after it doesn’t seem to be any slower than pressing a thumb-key spacebar on the other hand. This seems to be more true when the thumb keys are placed very near to the neutral resting position of the thumb, and angled to align with the natural directions of thumb joint motion. A standard keyboard definitely requires some constant thumb flexion away from its neutral position, and the standard keyboard spacebar is not ideally oriented to take advantage of thumb motion. So I can imagine that on a standard keyboard, a hand whose thumb is completely unused will have an easier time pressing finger keys.

Have you ever used any non-standard-shaped keyboards, especially ones with extra thumb keys such as the Maltron, Kinesis, Ergodox, or μTRON? If so, what did you think of them?

Inre the other thread, about MX blue switches, I think you’re maybe confusing me with another poster, or interpreting my words in a different way than I intended them? I wasn’t trying to insult/dismiss/antagonize you over there either. I was just asking which switches you’d tried, and suggesting some other types of clicky switches that you might enjoy. Thanks for explaining what you liked and didn’t like about MX blue and Model F switches: I thought your explanation was entirely reasonable; these choices are, of course, a matter of personal preference and taste.

wolfv, hopefully I’m not derailing your thread. :-)

Let's make up, out it behind us.
I'm on an iPad for the foreseeable future, so if there are some specific points you'd like to discuss, just put them out there in a shorter post (little difficult sifting through everything).   :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 April 2014, 20:49:05 by Linkbane »

Offline wolfv

I really put a lot of thought into my thumb clusters.
Oobly, that's a nice looking keyboard.  Could you provide a link to it's layout?

Thanks.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Thanks, this is the original one: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49721.msg1078758#msg1078758

It's been modified a little, but is mostly like that (different bracket types have been switched around). One option it doesn't allow is for shifted F keys which could be useful for heavy Excel users. One way around this is to turn the right hand bottom pinkie key into a shift in both of the 2 extra layers, so all the modifiers are available for all the key combinations. It's a little clunky, but better than the contortions you have to do on a "normal" board.

I find the layers quite easy to get used to, although the alpha key layout is taking some time to get fast with. I will make the next version switchable between any 2 layouts with a hardware switch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 03:00:24 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Findecanor

I had to use this keyboard today that has Swedish ISO layout splattered onto a ANSI keyboard. There is no < > | key between Z and left Shift - because There Is No Left Shift! Instead, there is only a right Shift and what should have been the left Shift key is a wide < > | key.
Really annoying ... The Left shift is more important than having all of Home/End/PgUp/PGDn on the right side of Space.

On QWERTY keyboards, I press the right Shift only with my right pinky when using some symbol keys that are on the far right.
On my (Schm)ergoDox, I have mapped Shift on a thumb-key on the left side because the key on the opposite side is Space, but I am thinking of making the right key into a dual-role key for both.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:42:38 by Findecanor »

Offline wolfv

Thanks Oobly.
The Alt and Ctrl along the length of the thumb is a nice innovation.
I tested the double key press along the length of my thumb, it worked very well :thumb:.