Author Topic: CM Storm Trigger Z (MX Browns) Review  (Read 5328 times)

Offline YuukiHaruto

CM Storm Trigger Z (MX Browns) Review
« on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 12:38:57 »

Cooler Master's gaming division CM STORM recently released the Trigger Z, the successor to the Trigger. Same layout but different design and feel as well as aesthetics
[img]http://i.imgur.com/wOB2PPs.jpg">>

And yes, it's another keyboard ... What is it that sets this one apart? For the same price of a BWU 2013 you can buy a CM Storm MECH and enjoy aluminium panels (even though it's edgy and not everyone likes it) and it's much better built. So what is going for this one then? Well for a start it's cheaper but it's still as well built as the MECH.
Keen eyes can tell it's based on the same platform, white LEDs and 5 macro keys. Not everyone uses macro keys which make the keyboard a bit larger than usual for no point at all but I'll say this is worth it over the CM Storm QF Ultimate. Simply because it's better built  :))

But some downsides, compared to the MECH it lacks a usb3 hub and lacks audio ports. Not a big issue. Compared to the trigger they have thrown out the USB2 Hub which is said to be very useless.

What is best about it? The wristrest that actually IS a wristrest, not a palmrest. CM says it's rubber on the back of the box but I'll leave you up to your decisions

Performance : Because it has MX Browns which I don't like therefore caveat emptor it's down to preference. Some are okay with it but most aren't.
The Brown switch. Just the brown switches.
I absolutely detest it. It's squeaky, creaky, lumpy and feels like reds with sand thrown all over it.
Don't get me wrong, I love MX reds but this is truly horrific compared to every MX switch I've used, blacks, greens, reds, blues and even Cherry ML
Like the CM Storm MECH it is FULLY programmable with 5 layers. You don't get that on a razer  :thumb:

Build Quality : It is solid. Sure it says made in china but the quality makes up enough for the label "Made In China"

Looks : I'm stunned by this keyboard. I really am  :confused:

Problems : The "rubber" or rubber coating does not appear to be good but the quality of it is better than the Trigger

So. Do I like it? Well yeah I like the keyboard.  ;D Not MX Browns. This is the first actual time I used a brown for more than a week and ... I hate it.
Can I live with it? If I swap black switches yeah, since CM Storm for some reason is longer using Black switches anymore.  :(

My recommendations : This is a good buy if you are looking for a solid keyboard with programmable key layers and macros as well as full back lighting (with the breathing effect) and a big wristrest.
It's not a small sum of money but it's a good buy over anything from Razer.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:45:00 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline dimkots

Re: CM Storm Trigger Z (MX Browns) Review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 09:03:10 »
Hi,

thanks for the nice review!

Considering this keyboard, anybody maybe know if the 64KRO it supports will work with MAC OS X Yosemite?

I know that with the Quickfire Ultimate you had to turn 6KRO instead of NKRO on, in order to work properly. Same with the old Trigger.

Thanks,
Dimitris