Author Topic: Quiet Pro Issue  (Read 3503 times)

Offline nsrexler

Quiet Pro Issue
« on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 15:59:09 »
I have the Quiet Pro for Mac and I love it, but there's something I want to call to your attention.
A day or two after getting my keyboard, I noticed that the 'B' key would tend to stick and become difficult to press, especially if I didn't push it exactly straight down. Out of curiosity I removed the keycap and took apart the switch, and found that the issue was caused by the slider dampers not being fully seated in place, causing friction during the switch travel. Re-seating the dampers fixed the problem.
I also found a few other switches that had the same issue to a lesser degree, causing a somewhat mushy feel.
Matias, if you're reading this, you should pass along to your QC team to double-check that the switch dampers are fully in place.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: Quiet Pro Issue
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 17:47:35 »
Can u take the switches apart without having to desolder anything?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:46:28 »
Can u take the switches apart without having to desolder anything?
Yes. It was a relatively easy fix but it was a little annoying that I had to do it, and I think a lot of people wouldn't be as brave dumb as me to open up the switches on a brand new keyboard  :)

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 08:33:07 »
I have the Quiet Pro for Mac and I love it, but there's something I want to call to your attention.
A day or two after getting my keyboard, I noticed that the 'B' key would tend to stick and become difficult to press, especially if I didn't push it exactly straight down. Out of curiosity I removed the keycap and took apart the switch, and found that the issue was caused by the slider dampers not being fully seated in place, causing friction during the switch travel. Re-seating the dampers fixed the problem.
I also found a few other switches that had the same issue to a lesser degree, causing a somewhat mushy feel.
Matias, if you're reading this, you should pass along to your QC team to double-check that the switch dampers are fully in place.

Thanks for taking the trouble to find this, and fix it yourself.  Obviously not something you should have to do, but we certainly appreciate you doing it.

Some of the first production run switches had this problem, but it's already been fixed.  Most likely, it was one worker not assembling that part correctly.  We now have a testing jig for this.  Every slider passes through this testing jig, before it goes into a switch.  If it fails the QC check, that part gets fixed or thrown out.

FYI, I spent most of December in China taking care of problems like this, prior to our starting to sell the switches as stand alone items.

If anyone else notices this problem on their keyboard, they should contact help@matias.ca to get it taken care of.  Sorry for the inconvenience, but when you develop something new, there's always a chance this sort of thing can happen.  If you have a problem, please contact us, so that we can fix it.