Author Topic: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%  (Read 169097 times)

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
Re: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:59:57 »
I am serious, where can I get one of this? or there's a guide to make it myself?
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 10:09:48 »
I am serious, where can I get one of this? or there's a guide to make it myself?

Still being designed and prototyped. Read about two posts before yours.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sergeant_Shart

« Reply #452 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 09:57:10 »
What's the status on this? All I want is the PCB and a quick tutorial run down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:10:39 »
regack is still working out the kinks for the 'public'-release pcb.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:25:23 »
regack is still working out the kinks for the 'public'-release pcb.
What are the problems with the current version?

Offline regack

« Reply #455 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 00:27:09 »
こんにちは! I am in Japan at the moment, trying type on this crazy keyboard layout ^-^ I should be able to get back to this thing in a couple of weeks.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 00:29:31 »
What would be the estimate cost for the PCB with all the components once the PCB is fully designed?

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #457 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 02:21:21 »
こんにちは! I am in Japan at the moment, trying type on this crazy keyboard layout ^-^ I should be able to get back to this thing in a couple of weeks.

Hope you have a good time ;)

Offline smnanthny

« Reply #458 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 15:48:21 »
Greetings!

Is there a chance that you'll be releasing the design files for the plate?

I'm looking to build my own 40% keyboard as a summer project and plan on hand-wiring rather than a PCB but I'm lacking the ability to design a plate to mount the switches. If you were to release it or point me in the direction of somewhere I can find a design similar to your layout that would be awesome.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #459 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 16:24:34 »
Greetings!

I'm looking to build my own 40% keyboard as a summer project and plan on hand-wiring rather than a PCB but I'm lacking the ability to design a plate to mount the switches. If you were to release it or point me in the direction of somewhere I can find a design similar to your layout that would be awesome.

Sent you a PM.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #460 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:24:42 »
Effectively finished and ready to maybe sell -

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #461 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:26:01 »

Looking good. :thumb:

in memoriam

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #462 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 06:03:20 »
planning stages:

i want to put FN on lower right and then have up/down on right menu and alt with left/right corresponding with the arrow keys on the board.
most other mods aren't as labeled, need to come up with an ideal setup there once i actually get the board.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 06:27:50 »
planning stages:
Show Image

i want to put FN on lower right and then have up/down on right menu and alt with left/right corresponding with the arrow keys on the board.
most other mods aren't as labeled, need to come up with an ideal setup there once i actually get the board.
Here is the layout I'm going with. Obviously most people won't want their letters in the same spots as mine, but other then that, I think this is a pretty good layout.
63576-0

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #464 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 06:29:34 »
ahh that's awesome vibex. i think i'll be using your fn layers as a base :)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #465 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 06:36:48 »
ahh that's awesome vibex. i think i'll be using your fn layers as a base :)
Go for it. :thumb: Let me know what your final design is, I always enjoy seeing how other people use weird keyboards like this. ;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #466 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 01:50:07 »

Show Image

This is beautiful, love the orange!

Offline technomancy

« Reply #467 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 23:58:36 »
Here is the layout I'm going with. Obviously most people won't want their letters in the same spots as mine, but other then that, I think this is a pretty good layout.

Very cool. I went with the numpad-style arrangement on my 40%, and I'm very glad I did. I see that you still have some space on your second layer. One thing I'd recommend would be adding more shifted punctuation there so you can invoke things like (), {}, etc with only a single modifier. Needing both fn+shift to hit things like that is very awkward, and if you've got extra space you might as well use it.

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #468 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 01:40:31 »
Why is it so thick? Are you leaving space between the pcb and the case, so no short circuits?  Is it so that the controller has room?  Why so many layers of metal?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #469 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 01:46:41 »
Why is it so thick? Are you leaving space between the pcb and the case, so no short circuits?  Is it so that the controller has room?  Why so many layers of metal?

keep in mind the scale does make it appear a bit thicker. like a mini cooper except not dorky. i mean exactly like a mini cooper.

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #470 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 01:50:48 »

keep in mind the scale does make it appear a bit thicker. like a mini cooper except not dorky. i mean exactly like a mini cooper.

That's a good point.  Also I think the word is geeky.   :D

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 02:04:36 »

That's a good point.  Also I think the word is geeky.   :D

hefty lil fellas

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 06:10:36 »

Very cool. I went with the numpad-style arrangement on my 40%, and I'm very glad I did. I see that you still have some space on your second layer. One thing I'd recommend would be adding more shifted punctuation there so you can invoke things like (), {}, etc with only a single modifier. Needing both fn+shift to hit things like that is very awkward, and if you've got extra space you might as well use it.
I wasn't sure if Icould add shifted characters directly to the layout. Good to know, I'll update it. ;D

Offline technomancy

« Reply #473 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 11:07:32 »
I wasn't sure if Icould add shifted characters directly to the layout. Good to know, I'll update it. ;D

Oh, this is totally going to depend on the firmware you use. I'm using firmware I wrote myself, but I know that TMK supports it, albeit a bit awkwardly.

Offline tbc

« Reply #474 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 22:33:14 »
can we get a sideshot please?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline boxfulofsanity

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 17:31:41 »
I am so interested in this little guy! Hope to build one soon :)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #476 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 16:30:41 »
God I want this little guy!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #477 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 17:52:48 »
For anyone interested, here is the layout I have been using with my JD40 -- thanks for the great board jdcarpe.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline futaris

« Reply #478 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 04:16:27 »
Nice. The layout is very reminiscent of my Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard:

Though I agree with the other (of DVORAK/COLEMAK), it needs at least one more column. But, I'd prefer two...

And, please split the spacebar, or give the option(s)...

Offline macmakkara

« Reply #479 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 04:36:08 »
Greetings!

Hello there.
Also having sama question as quote.
Probably doing one handwired and another when pcb is released. 
And any news about pcb?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 07:37:00 by macmakkara »

Offline huynx

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 21:24:02 »
I love this design, can you send me pcb design file?
thanks  :)

Offline huynx

« Reply #481 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 06:27:19 »
never mind, I found Regack's pcb, thanks to Regack
also thanks to jdcarpe

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #482 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 08:28:21 »
also thanks to jdcarpe

Careful. Last I knew regack had some issues with his last version of his pcb. Not sure the status of that right now.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #483 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 08:33:50 »
also thanks to jdcarpe

Careful. Last I knew regack had some issues with his last version of his pcb. Not sure the status of that right now.

Right, I was just going to warn him about that. Thanks, swill. :)

in memoriam

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #484 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 21:40:33 »
Vibex: do you have a pic of your current layout installed on the smallfry KB yet? How are you liking that sorbothane gasket?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #485 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 21:57:20 »
Vibex: do you have a pic of your current layout installed on the smallfry KB yet? How are you liking that sorbothane gasket?

Vibex can obviously expand on this answer, but I can provide a shot of the layout right now.  :)

;)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #486 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:08:09 »

Vibex can obviously expand on this answer, but I can provide a shot of the layout right now.  :)

Show Image

;)

That one looks so nice!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #487 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:43:48 »

Show Image

;)

Ah yes, the J-WUP layout :D

edit: AKA the FH-Q

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #488 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:46:19 »

Show Image

;)

I prefer to call it the AISTL layout.  Pronounced Aye-stull.

Or the Vibex layout.    :p

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #489 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:51:21 »

Either you are the JuffoWUP, or you are the non.

you, are the non. There is only juffowup

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #490 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 23:21:55 »
I saw nuclearsandwich's wooden version of your 40% at KeyCon, and I have to say I thought your use of linears for mods was brilliant!

I am going to build a couple of 60-75% keyboards with that feature now.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #491 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 23:32:44 »
Show Image

I’d call it the JAZ-WIX layout.

Offline huynx

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 11:51:44 »

Thanks you, is position of some switch not correct?
And I think usb line not good, it must be parallel for working properly

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #493 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 11:53:59 »

Thanks you, is position of some switch not correct?
And I think usb line not good, it must be parallel for working properly

He just mentioned to me that he was having some issues so he was not going to go into full production mode till he worked out the problems.  I have not followed up with him about it, so I am not sure what the current status is.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #494 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:36:54 »
Maybe use smaller spacebar and add ~two additional keys

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #495 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 20:27:20 »
Maybe use smaller spacebar and add ~two additional keys

Kinda locked in with this design at this point. Until the SMD version is done.

The point of the 6.25 spacebar, in case you were wondering, is availability. It's hard to find 3.0 or 4.0 unit spacebars.

in memoriam

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #496 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 20:48:59 »
For what it’s worth, in practice DSA keys work pretty well for spacebars. (Still not ideal, but two 3 unit DSA keys definitely beats one standard–length spacebar.)

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:54:24 »

Show Image

;)
Dam, that is a nice keyboard! :D

Offline ullr

« Reply #498 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 17:28:44 »
I am interested!

Could I get one with this layout, or will I have to be flexible with key positions? http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/d260ad8b46cea34a8ce897f1a9b2f758
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 17:35:33 by ullr »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #499 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 18:21:35 »
I am interested!

Could I get one with this layout, or will I have to be flexible with key positions? http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/d260ad8b46cea34a8ce897f1a9b2f758
What does the dark green key do?