Author Topic: Choc Mini Working With Mac 100%  (Read 2750 times)

Offline mteejay

Choc Mini Working With Mac 100%
« on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 16:47:17 »
Hello all!

Long time reader and first time poster!

I recently bought a Choc Mini Brown with PBT Keycaps from focalgadgets, great site and excellent delivery.

Got to say I am really stoked about this keyboard and can see myself falling in love with it, thanks for all the reviews, opinions etc I have seen on here about this board.

Did notice however that many users were having troubles using this keyboard with the Mac OSX, mainly because of the NKRO voodoo that happens with this board.  Fixes I have seen include using a usb->ps2->usb adapters and even hacking some driver files for the OS.

Well as a programmer, I have a virtualised Mac through Win7 and VMware Workstation running OSX Lion 10.7.4 (ios development) and can report that it works without any of previously mentioned fixes. 

Just thought I would contribute my 2c on the popular issue for this keyboard.

Cheers Matt

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Re: Choc Mini Working With Mac 100%
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 16:49:41 »
Well as a programmer, I have a virtualised Mac through Win7 and VMware Workstation running OSX Lion 10.7.4 (ios development) and can report that it works without any of previously mentioned fixes. 

As a programmer, you should know that this is something completely different than a real mac :)

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 17:06:50 »

As a programmer, you should know that this is something completely different than a real mac :)

I'm going to sleep happy now :)
There are those guys, software engineers. I was asked in my last interview what's the difference. By a middle aged hr woman.
Well... how to explain...

@mteejay: welcome to geekhack! I hope you'll not be mad at me. I'm just a regular bastard :)
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 17:23:22 »

I'm going to sleep happy now :)
There are those guys, software engineers. I was asked in my last interview what's the difference. By a middle aged hr woman.
Well... how to explain...

@mteejay: welcome to geekhack! I hope you'll not be mad at me. I'm just a regular bastard :)
haha :))

yeah... you're abstracting the keyboard. try attaching it as a usb device if it's possible to see how it deals with it.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 18:21:33 »
... and this is why I weep for the future. Because I know people like the OP actually think they know what they're doing.

I would suggest learning to ask "would you like fries with that" but I suspect he'd be convinced he was cutting the potatoes when pressing the 'fries' button on the register.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 18:57:11 »
... and this is why I weep for the future. Because I know people like the OP actually think they know what they're doing.

I would suggest learning to ask "would you like fries with that" but I suspect he'd be convinced he was cutting the potatoes when pressing the 'fries' button on the register.

Spot on, spot on

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 19:14:27 »

Spot on, spot on

let's all jump on op and make him feel like **** everybody! it's gonna rule!!

seriously OP i am interested in finding out if you can directly attach the keyboard and get different results. for science.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 19:23:25 »

Spot on, spot on

seriously OP i am interested in finding out if you can directly attach the keyboard and get different results. for science.
And on the guys first post. Why would he want to come back to answer or test anything?

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 19:33:00 »
Because he just learned what a type 2 hypervisor is. Or SOFTWARE virtualization.

Pretty important for a programmer.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 19:36:37 »
And if he was wrong, he could've been told that he was and why, without a condescending remark that provides no value.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 21:29:42 »

Spot on, spot on

Okay, one, if you call yourself a programmer and give yourself a big self-congratulatory pat on the back without doing the least bit of research? Hey guess what. You're not a programmer - you're an impediment to progress. But obviously we should give people a tissue and tell them it's totally okay to completely lack basic knowledge and they shouldn't feel bad for not doing or being capable of doing their job.

Two, that is not how VMware USB passthrough works on Workstation. It's a different issue on ESXi. But come the hell on. I'm primarily an Enterprise Unix guy and even I understand the basics of Windows HAL which guarantees that there is always something in the way of directly accessing any device. And no, nested ESXi is not any more valid. And that's before you factor in the hacks required to do OS X on Workstation which does involve tampering with things that affect pass-through.

So what? I'm supposed to bend over backwards and say "oh, I'm sorry I made you cry. It's okay to pat yourself on the back for being ignorant. Of course I'm obligated to hold your hand because learning is too hard for you." I'm supposed to congratulate someone for wasting the time of people who put in the minimum expected effort to learn basics? And I'm supposed to cater to this crap because obviously they're special people?
Yeah. No. I sincerely hope every last one of them gets chased the hell out of technology forever; I could care less where they land or even if they land. People like this have no business working in technology, much less developing software.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2013, 21:31:17 by rootwyrm »
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 05:30:58 »

Spot on, spot on

Okay, one, if you call yourself a programmer and give yourself a big self-congratulatory pat on the back without doing the least bit of research? Hey guess what. You're not a programmer - you're an impediment to progress. But obviously we should give people a tissue and tell them it's totally okay to completely lack basic knowledge and they shouldn't feel bad for not doing or being capable of doing their job.

Two, that is not how VMware USB passthrough works on Workstation. It's a different issue on ESXi. But come the hell on. I'm primarily an Enterprise Unix guy and even I understand the basics of Windows HAL which guarantees that there is always something in the way of directly accessing any device. And no, nested ESXi is not any more valid. And that's before you factor in the hacks required to do OS X on Workstation which does involve tampering with things that affect pass-through.

So what? I'm supposed to bend over backwards and say "oh, I'm sorry I made you cry. It's okay to pat yourself on the back for being ignorant. Of course I'm obligated to hold your hand because learning is too hard for you." I'm supposed to congratulate someone for wasting the time of people who put in the minimum expected effort to learn basics? And I'm supposed to cater to this crap because obviously they're special people?
Yeah. No. I sincerely hope every last one of them gets chased the hell out of technology forever; I could care less where they land or even if they land. People like this have no business working in technology, much less developing software.

you sure spent a lot of time on somebody wasting your time.

Offline mteejay

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 04:06:22 »
i dont see what the issue is here, all i said was a that a client project required that i develop an ios mobile app which in turn meant i got a virtualised mac together and i noticed that this board worked okay.

@rootwyrm: rant much?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 12:39:30 »
i dont see what the issue is here, all i said was a that a client project required that i develop an ios mobile app which in turn meant i got a virtualised mac together and i noticed that this board worked okay.

I think what people are taking issue with is that what you claim-- that you can get a certain keyboard fully functional on Mac without any workarounds-- and the case you present-- that you can get an OSX virtual machine to respond properly to an abstraction of a keyboard-- are rather different.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 15:44:31 »

@rootwyrm: rant much?

The fact that you "don't see an issue" basically speaks volumes about your skill and qualifications.
I hope your client has someone else to call.