Author Topic: Classifieds Requirements  (Read 6553 times)

Offline PublicAnarchism

Classifieds Requirements
« on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:14:41 »
Hello, I am Public Anarchism and I am in a pickle right now.
There are MOD EDIT: TWO PICKLES, LIGHTLY SALTED in front of me waiting to be listed in the classfied section. But, I do not have 60 Posts yet. MOD EDIT: SO INSTEAD OF INTERACTING WITH THE COMMUNITY I WILL USE MY POSTS TO COMPLAIN
To achieve 60 posts, I would either have to spam many posts daily, or write high quality posts throughout a duration of >2 Months.
Sadly, I would have to wait for that long, just to sell and trade my keyboards.
MOD EDIT: this one is just for personal satisfaction
I suggest that the requirement be changed to something other than post counts as that is an illegitimate method of testing someones eligibility.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:15:11 by mkawa »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Classifieds Requirements
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:15:16 »
Guess you won't be selling them here then?

The upcoming change is 25 posts.  And 2 months of membership.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:19:29 »
An illegitimate test of eligibility? Nice reuse of a common word root. How about chillin' for a little while and making some quality posts that improve the site? Those two keyboards will still be there to sell in a few weeks. Otherwise, eBay has no post requirements.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:20:25 »
You can list them on eBay.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:23:37 »
You can list them on eBay.

Exactly.  And that adds more protection for the buyers than GH does.  I know I'm always wary of spending more than $30 on something from a brand spanking new user. 

So complain all you want, but it's a pretty standard type practice you see on many sites.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:33:42 »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:33:58 »
There is also http://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket

good joke :thumb:

And it looks like OP already goes on there

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:39:40 »
I actually don't know anything about it ... is it a joke?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:40:30 »
I love Elzy

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:41:02 »
Well, no one ever really goes there and it's hard to sell things there.  Also, /u/ripster likes to point people there instead of more, how shall we put it, active venues like GH or DT Classifieds.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:24:30 »
attn: new users,

moderation team has heard this complaint every few minutes for the last 2 years. the response has been to make the bar for business transactions increasingly higher, not lower. this is a community, not a convention where you learn to make money from home by flipping houses.

but what if i told you.. that you could stop complaining about this, and just meet the bars set by the community for business interactions!?!? in some ways they are a litmus test for distinguishing between those who can and can't follow the simple rules of trading money for goods.

if you would like to trade money for goods with no community interaction, then, as hashbaz said, there are plenty of places on the internet that either cost significant money (ebay) or time (craigslist) to do so. these are not our places on the internet and we do not donate significant time, effort and often money to maintain those sites. please feel free to use them to do whatever non-community-oriented thing that you would like to do.

in the meantime, we will quorum and institute simple rules that help us maintain a positive, educational and high signal to noise ratio community of makers, members, and other flavors of geek, and those who plan to stay here will follow them.

thanks new users!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline PublicAnarchism

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 10:54:28 »
Ebay does not work for this current situation as I am looking to trade not sell. But, I see you guy's have disrespect towards those who post a legitimate  concern about a rule at GeekHack.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:01:09 »
Ebay does not work for this current situation as I am looking to trade not sell. But, I see you guy's have disrespect towards those who post a legitimate  concern about a rule at GeekHack.

Perhaps it was edited out or my reading comprehension sucks but where did you put your better idea for how entry into the classifieds should be gauged?

And the point being made is this is a community not just a marketplace.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:15:45 »

moderation team has heard this complaint every few minutes for the last 2 years. the response has been to make the bar for business transactions increasingly higher, not lower. this is a community, not a convention where you learn to make money from home by flipping houses.

but what if i told you.. that you could stop complaining about this, and just meet the bars set by the community for business interactions!?!? in some ways they are a litmus test for distinguishing between those who can and can't follow the simple rules of trading money for goods.

if you would like to trade money for goods with no community interaction, then, as hashbaz said, there are plenty of places on the internet that either cost significant money (ebay) or time (craigslist) to do so. these are not our places on the internet and we do not donate significant time, effort and often money to maintain those sites. please feel free to use them to do whatever non-community-oriented thing that you would like to do.

in the meantime, we will quorum and institute simple rules that help us maintain a positive, educational and high signal to noise ratio community of makers, members, and other flavors of geek, and those who plan to stay here will follow them.

thanks new users!

The Following User Says Thank You to mkawa For This Useful Post:
jdcarpe
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:17:32 »
I agree with op. These rules are stupid.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:22:44 »

You stated trade or sell, not trade only.

And you did not voice a legitimate concern, you complained that Geekhack is a community that requires participation to buy and sell in and isn't a site like eBay or Craigslist.  The rule is there for a reason.  Asking the logic behind the rule is much better than *****ing about it.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:43:43 »
Disrespect? Concern? This community has been here a lot longer than you, and the members who have been here for any amount of time have all agreed that it's definitely not a concern, even going as far as to modify the rules to extend the time being a forum member before posting things for sale.

It's you that has the disrespect. You think you can just waltz in here and take this place over on your first day? As others have said, this isn't a flea shop. It's a community. The classifieds are a privilege of being a community member, not for you to come in, drop your ****, and bounce. 

In other words, way to try to live up to your handle but no one's buying what you're selling.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:47:24 »
Disrespect? Concern? This community has been here a lot longer than you, and the members who have been here for any amount of time have all agreed that it's definitely not a concern, even going as far as to modify the rules to extend the time being a forum member before posting things for sale.

It's you that has the disrespect. You think you can just waltz in here and take this place over on your first day? As others have said, this isn't a flea shop. It's a community. The classifieds are a privilege of being a community member, not for you to come in, drop your ****, and bounce. 

In other words, way to try to live up to your handle but no one's buying what you're selling.

Thanks nitsuacjt
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:49:51 »

thanks new users!

The Following Users Say Thank You to mkawa For This Useful Post:
jdcarpe

rowdy
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 09:39:32 »
Guess you won't be selling them here then?

The upcoming change is 25 posts.  And 2 months of membership.

When is this happening?

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 09:55:26 »
I actually agree with some of what OP is saying. (And also the edit's of his post besides the removal of the items being sold is a disgusting strawman). 60 posts really is an "illegitimate method of testing someones eligibility." A pure post requirement would have to either have to be much higher or on a case by case basis from the quality of that particular user's posts. Feedback, either from buying items on this site or from buying and selling on other sites like Heatware, would be a better way to judge if a seller is more likely reliable IMO.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 09:58:55 »
MOD EDIT: TWO PICKLES, LIGHTLY SALTED

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:02:44 »
strawman? i think petty indulgence is the word you're looking for :P

sorry, but i literally get PMs like this constantly, and they are almost always these long walls of text that have me thinking "if only you put this much effort into being a member of the forum, you wouldn't have this complaint"

the marketplace is a privilege of membership that we expect you to take seriously, not a god-given right. we institute simple rules so that the staff is not overextended even further than they already are trying to figure out who is or is not worthy of participating in the markplace.

When is this happening?
the time-based membership change requires code support, and we're technically in code freeze, so not all that soon. in the meantime, mod team has considered raising the post count requirements to 100 or more. we see too many people spamming their way up, which is really really not something we want. it decreases the signal to noise ratio and is exactly counter to our goals above.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:22:21 »

sorry, but i literally get PMs like this constantly, and they are almost always these long walls of text that have me thinking "if only you put this much effort into being a member of the forum, you wouldn't have this complaint"

the marketplace is a privilege of membership that we expect you to take seriously, not a god-given right. we institute simple rules so that the staff is not overextended even further than they already are trying to figure out who is or is not worthy of participating in the markplace.

When is this happening?
the time-based membership change requires code support, and we're technically in code freeze, so not all that soon. in the meantime, mod team has considered raising the post count requirements to 100 or more. we see too many people spamming their way up, which is really really not something we want. it decreases the signal to noise ratio and is exactly counter to our goals above.
"MOD EDIT: TWO PICKLES, LIGHTLY SALTED" and "MOD EDIT: this one is just for personal satisfaction" are just harmless jokes, but  "MOD EDIT: SO INSTEAD OF INTERACTING WITH THE COMMUNITY I WILL USE MY POSTS TO COMPLAIN" is a bit of a strawman. Even if this person may just want to flip his items sooner, he does bring up a valid point; the posting requirements just end up encouraging spam. And raising that to 100, 200, or a thousand isn't going to do anything but encourage more spam. Once the coding freeze is over, something like checking for 5 or greater positive heatware feedback wouldn't really be possible to spam up to. Heatware feedback is by no means a perfect measure either, but I can't personally think of any way to measure community participation besides posting, which results in people spamming their way up.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:37:30 »

When is this happening?
"MOD EDIT: TWO PICKLES, LIGHTLY SALTED" and "MOD EDIT: this one is just for personal satisfaction" are just harmless jokes, but  "MOD EDIT: SO INSTEAD OF INTERACTING WITH THE COMMUNITY I WILL USE MY POSTS TO COMPLAIN" is a bit of a strawman. Even if this person may just want to flip his items sooner, he does bring up a valid point; the posting requirements just end up encouraging spam. And raising that to 100, 200, or a thousand isn't going to do anything but encourage more spam. Once the coding freeze is over, something like checking for 5 or greater positive heatware feedback wouldn't really be possible to spam up to. Heatware feedback is by no means a perfect measure either, but I can't personally think of any way to measure community participation besides posting, which results in people spamming their way up.

Good point.

In the long run, all that's gonna happen here is that we're gonna keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Increase the required post count = more people spamming their way to said post count. Decrease required post count = increase potential risk of scammers/profiteers.

Get people working on the code and get the 2-month requirement working as soon as it can be done. It's the best option at this point. (I'd offer to assist, but I can't really code).

And in the meantime, leave it the way it is. As CWDr said, increasing the post count (even temporarily) is only encouraging more spam.

OR there is option 3: remove the classifieds entirely. But then GH would essentially be useless, so I advise against this option.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:41:28 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:11:48 »

Amen

Don't walk in like you own the place, it'll just get you slapped.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:32:23 »
The whole reason I made an account here is because I wanted to start posting the in Classifieds. Making me wait however has given me chance to get to know the forum a bit and take part in the great content this site has. I dont think its such a bad thing, plus 60 posts goes by pretty fast.

Also, not sure if it helps at all but I do have a professional knowledge of Perl and database maintenance. Always available to help in that regard if those skills are relevant.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline PublicAnarchism

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 22:58:03 »
Really easy to check for the 2 Months of account time. It is almost the same as checking for the post count for the 60 limit but instead you check if the account is longer for each user in the database.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:10:44 »
this is now how the smf backend works. permissions are based on a something called membergroups. membergroups also control things like stars, forum visibility and a number of other security and administration tasks as well as cosmetic UX stuff.

for some bizarre reason, the only field you can base automatic membergroup promotion on is post-count. the code that does this is actually some pretty gnarly spaghetti, because of the above, which is non-sensical, but there you go. feel free to push a patch into the smf trunk that fixes this, but in the meantime it's not our highest priority in our fork.

access to the classifieds is a privilege for members, not a right.

Offline sulonen

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:16:19 »
There are MOD EDIT: TWO PICKLES, LIGHTLY SALTED in front of me waiting to be listed in the classfied section. But, I do not have 60 Posts yet. MOD EDIT: SO INSTEAD OF INTERACTING WITH THE COMMUNITY I WILL USE MY POSTS TO COMPLAIN

Ooooh! Lightly Salted Pickles! I want dis.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 08:45:07 »
pickles are a right, not a privilege.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 08:46:17 »
pickles are a right, not a privilege.

the cheese that goes on the pickles, however, IS a privilege...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 12:56:35 »
We hold these rights to be self-evident: Life, liberty and the pursuit of pickles.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 19:01:09 »
Now what kind of bear to go with dem pickles?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 19:07:20 »

The right to bear pickles is unalienable.  That's right, bear pickles.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 19:48:34 »

The right to bear pickles is unalienable.  That's right, bear pickles.

Bear Pickles?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 22:19:33 »
Someone please run a GB for dysubbed pickle caps.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)