Author Topic: Gaming mousepads!  (Read 284891 times)

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
Re: Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #650 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:39:14 »
Currently using QCK mass but I really want to try Artisan pad to see what the hype is all about.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #651 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 19:08:57 »
So far a £5 CM Storm Speed RX is the nicest mousepad I've used. I have a Shiden Kai but it feels rougher than the Speed RX :/.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #652 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 19:55:04 »
I currently have a Corsair mm200 extended mouse mat :P
It even has my keyboard on it and it kind of works like a wrist rest too :P
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:13:16 by calvins1 »
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline cannonking

« Reply #653 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 22:19:08 »
Does anyone know anything about the Maxtill G-Pads? I can barely find any information on them, and what I can find is like 10 years old. Will probably buy one soon-ish but would be nice to read some impressions first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAXTILL-G-PAD-glass-pad-BLACK-approved-by-professional-gamers-/121140160606?pt=US_Mouse_Pads_Wrist_Rests&hash=item1c3484285e

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #654 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 01:55:32 »
http://www.esreality.com/post/2414570/maxtill-tempered-glass-gaming-mousepad/

tl;dr - icemat's better though it's still good, maybe a bit overpriced. I still have my V2 and get surprised every time I use it... it's so smooth. I just wish it wasn't so tall and a little bit wider. and that the paint on the back didn't chip off. other than that, amazing pad.
is it possible for you to try the Razer Manticor? it's also super smooth and seems to be very durable. alu pads do require a lot of washing off though, even moreso than my icemat v2.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #655 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 03:10:42 »

tl;dr - icemat's better though it's still good, maybe a bit overpriced. I still have my V2 and get surprised every time I use it... it's so smooth. I just wish it wasn't so tall and a little bit wider. and that the paint on the back didn't chip off. other than that, amazing pad.
is it possible for you to try the Razer Manticor? it's also super smooth and seems to be very durable. alu pads do require a lot of washing off though, even moreso than my icemat v2.

I've been using a Manticor for a while now, and so far I've had to clean it less than my I-2.

Offline Improstor

« Reply #656 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 07:50:08 »
Little write up of pads I have experience with and my thoughts:

Hard surface:

SteelSeries SX (metal) : low control, smooth glide, ideal for higher DPI applications. In general the best hard mousepad I had chance to use. Sadly as many other great products, discontinued.. If anyone happen to have one new for sale I'm very interested :)

Razer Manticor (black, metal) : middle control, very rough texture. Might be choice for anyone who want control with hard pad (easy to stop movement of mouse, hard to start movement). For me rather bad surface, hardpads should remain low control/high speed

Mionix ENSIS 320 (metal) : low-ish control, smooth texture. Slightly slower than SteelSeries SX, yet reliable with control force (not hard to stop movement, easy enough to start moving). Good pad for mid-high DPI

Corsair Vengeance MM600 (plastic with metalic core) : low control, high speed glide. Suprisingly good two sided surface. Cannot talk for durability however control, glide and comfort are close to SteelSeries SX quality.

Cloth/Soft surface:

Roccat Taito - medium to high control, rather smooth texture, thick pad!! Compromise surface, very good choice for anyone who find QCK too slow

SteelSeries QCK (thin version) - high control, textured (rough) textile at start (first months of use). Very slow surface, should be prefered by anyone who need superior control.

CM STORM Speed-RX (thick) - low to mid control, very smooth surface. Very fast "cloth" mousepad! Unfortunatelly with terrible vertical anomaly/jitter/skips using optical sensors (tested Razer Abyssus, Kana V2), not usable with optical (if requested I may try laser sensors for compatibility)

CM STORM Power-RX - low to mid control, rubberized cloth surface. Not even cloth pad anymore, nice feeling and smooth glide with touch of control. Would be my preference if.. again optical sensors (Abyssus, Kana V2) having trouble with movement, eventual cursor jitter (at random movement, not vertical). Again might be issue with lower DPI settings on optical mices.

Artisan Raiden - low control, smooth surface. Superior glide and low control, nice feeling of surface. TERRIBLE vertical jitter, skips on optical (Abyssus, Kana V2).

The problematic pads were tested on two Razer Abyssus and one Kana V2 to remove possible sensor related problems. These pads are simply not fully compatible with optical sensors from my experience. All other surfaces should be compatible with most mices, if you would like I can do test with any mentioned surface on following mices:

SteelSeries XAI, Corsair M60, Razer Naga, Alienware TactX, G9, Roccat Kone Pure Core, Razer Orochi (older version), Logitech G500, SteelSeries Kinzu v2 PRO, Razer Abyssus, SteelSeries Kana V2, Razer Imperator, Team Scorpion Zealot.

I currently use Corsair MM600 for standard use and QCK+ for CS:GO (at 450dpi).

Coming soon to test (as I keep looking for compatible fast cloth pad).. QPAD CT (thin, large version) and Zowie G-FT (Speed).
Corsair K70 (active), Gigabyte Avia Osimium, Razer Blackwidow

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #657 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 09:27:39 »

I've been using a Manticor for a while now, and so far I've had to clean it less than my I-2.

hmm interesting, I may not have used it for long enough then. my other alu pads I tried (SX and Slamepad) I had to clean a lot. I don't actually own the Manticor, so you're probably right!
sorry about that :p

Offline cannonking

« Reply #658 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 10:31:28 »

I have a tempered glass desk that my mouse feels so good on, but it doesn't track. My friend's I-2 didn't feel quite the same and hopefully the Maxtill is closer to how my desk feels. I've heard bad things about aluminium mousepads and maintenance.

Also, while we're on the topic of glass/metal mousepads, what are the best mouse feet for these kind of surfaces?
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 April 2014, 11:24:01 by cannonking »

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #659 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 11:32:43 »
Puretrak HD work really well for me, they're very dense and a bit taller, so they seem to last quite a bit longer too. I haven't needed to change mine for a few months... and I don't see it getting too worn out anytime soon.
it is *really* important to have good feet for glass and aluminium pads.

actually, just tried using Corepad skatez due to the Puretrak HD maybe being a bit too thick... think I prefer the glide of these, it's a bit smoother too... will report back later after some more testing!
was trying my old Kinzu mouse on my pad which has Corepad skatez and they do feel a bit better. it's definitely faster, which I prefer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 22:27:49 by munch »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #660 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:15:02 »
the huge steelseries QCK pads are working out great for me. i have one at the office and one at the house.  i really like the cloth feeling and how big they are.  i actually want them to be even bigger.  i want them to cover my entire desk.  that will also probably help keep my dox from sliding around some.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Bucake

« Reply #661 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 06:16:13 »
could anyone recommend me a hardpad? it has to be available in a fairly large size (length of about 16 inches / 40cm).

i want to try an icemat as well, but it looks like they're not in stock anywhere anymore. :(
(i think they were never available in large sizes, though.)

and has anyone ever tried an aluminium pad (with an optical mouse)?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #662 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 06:44:21 »
could anyone recommend me a hardpad? it has to be available in a fairly large size (length of about 16 inches / 40cm).

i want to try an icemat as well, but it looks like they're not in stock anywhere anymore. :(

They don't really make all that many large hard pads. The largest one I've used is probably the Manticor I'm using right now, which is about 30cm wide. And I've had no problem with optical sensors on it, only hard pad I have that is a problem for some optical sensors is my white I-2.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #663 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:56:58 »
Manticor is 355mm wide, so it's quite a bit bigger than 30cm. Icemat is 30cm only. Qpad HeatoN is the only really big hard pad I know of, but it wears out so quickly IME. 40cm I think it is.
the Manticor and other alu pads works perfectly fine with the optical mice I tried on them. what mouse are you planning to use it with?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #664 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:03:23 »
thanks guys, i'll look'em up :j
what're your opinions on the Manticor?

what mouse are you planning to use it with?

logitech g400.
otherwise, i could switch to zowie fk if that would track better.

edit: qpad heaton seems to be discontinued and out of stock everywhere. i guess i'll have to do with a slightly smaller pad, then.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:37:30 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #665 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 04:42:17 »
I had no probs with the G400s on Manticor, go for that if you want to try :) it won't have the same speed as most plastic pads but definitely not bad. I do recommend getting something like Hyperglide, Puretrak HD, Corepad Skatez or whatever you can find that is of a good teflon material. actually maybe not the Puretrak HD as they had the least nice glide of the ones I have tried... still good but, get what you can.
made a big diff for me with alu pads and glass pads alike.

Offline ajx

« Reply #666 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 05:08:05 »

I didnt have optical mice but on laser, aluminium feel noisy and cold on your wirst
that my biggest complaint, cant really tell about glide but in my opinion its not necessary a better value than plastic hard pad
I have Razer Destructor 2 and this is one of best hard pad i ever tried
Noise is acceptable, glide is fast and accurate, not much complaint + its bigger enough, its sighlty wider than my Poker II in term of length

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #667 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 07:08:02 »
an update: definitely Hyperglide, damn these are smooth. on my Slamepad it pretty much twice as fast as the Puretrak. I love these. for Icemat and my aluminium Slamepad, I say Hyperglide is better.
sorry Puretrak, I really like that your HD mousefeet are thicker and such but the glide was just slow in comparison. I don't know what the difference could be. is teflon going to differ that much between how it's made?
however, I do prefer the Puretrak HD on my hard rough plastic pads like the Steelseries SP, S&S, fUnc F30R.

so basically, thick ones like it hard and rough. the thinner ones need it hard and fast too, but smoother... :P
sorry I couldn't resist. uh so. actual tl;dr:

IMO, for rough plastic pads, get Puretrak HD. they will last you a lot longer. probably will outlast a lot of pads as well, going by my own experiences.
for smooth pads like the Icemat, fUnc F10S, Slamepad, perhaps the Razer Manticor as well - go with something like the Hyperglide.
for cloth pads, also Hyperglide have given me the best results. they got the rounder edges which translates for a better glide with cloth.
Corepad make some decent skatez too but the Hyperglide are a bit cheaper here at least.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #668 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:40:24 »
After using SS QcK+ (and QcK mini) for years, I've decided to try a few different mousepads that weren't *so* cheap. I'm going to keep using QcKs under keyboards and trackballs to dampen resonance in the desk/tray, but for mouse movement, I'd prefer something faster.

Roccat Sota (plastic on aluminium sheet, rubber bottom) came warped. It was a common issue. Otherwise a nice, quite fast surface, but still a bit soft and not too cold.

SteelSeries 4HD (plastic, rubber bottom) looks good, quite fast, but I wonder what the rough texture will do to mouse feet.

Finally, Corsair MM200 XL (cloth, rubber bottom, 4mm thick) is faster than QcK and I like the 'wider' aspect ratio better (i.e. the pad doesn't hang from my tray that much). Both thickness and price are right between QcK+ and QcK Heavy. Sounds like a surprisingly good purchase.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #669 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:00:44 »
After using SS QcK+ (and QcK mini) for years, I've decided to try a few different mousepads that weren't *so* cheap. I'm going to keep using QcKs under keyboards and trackballs to dampen resonance in the desk/tray, but for mouse movement, I'd prefer something faster.

Roccat Sota (plastic on aluminium sheet, rubber bottom) came warped. It was a common issue. Otherwise a nice, quite fast surface, but still a bit soft and not too cold.

SteelSeries 4HD (plastic, rubber bottom) looks good, quite fast, but I wonder what the rough texture will do to mouse feet.

Finally, Corsair MM200 XL (cloth, rubber bottom, 4mm thick) is faster than QcK and I like the 'wider' aspect ratio better (i.e. the pad doesn't hang from my tray that much). Both thickness and price are right between QcK+ and QcK Heavy. Sounds like a surprisingly good purchase.

I've got a corsair mm200 extended and I can tell you it's pretty similar to my old QCK and it's perfect if you like cloth pads that are easy to clean. Probably one of the better mousepads that are not from Japan. I swear, I'd love me some artisan pads :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:02:51 by calvins1 »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #670 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 09:56:31 »
accidentally ordered this last night:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HTDBWI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

stupid one click purchase button on amazon for android. ah whatever.  i will test it out and see. this thing is supposed to be MASSIVE.  i want a nice cloth pad for my ergodox and mouse.  if this works out well i will order another for the office.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #671 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 14:49:23 »
accidentally ordered this last night:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HTDBWI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

stupid one click purchase button on amazon for android. ah whatever.  i will test it out and see. this thing is supposed to be MASSIVE.  i want a nice cloth pad for my ergodox and mouse.  if this works out well i will order another for the office.

That is huge. With a fullsize board and a mouse on it looks like you still have 6 inches of space in every direction.

Any ideas on how to clean a cloth mousepad as well? I was thinking a washing machine, but there is too much rubber. So, handwash I'm guessing?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #672 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 02:22:49 »
I've heard the Puretrak Talent is durable, machine washable and similar to the Hayate but god damn it's made in the USA and the cheapest shipping is 12 bucks and I'm even in the same state.
I've also heard that the Puretrak Talent is similar to the Razer Goliathus - is this true?

Any opinions on large extended mousemats?
Xtrac Ripper XXL vs Razer Goliathus  speed vs Perixx DX-2000XXL vs Corsair and there's probably a few more.
Looking for one that has a Hayate-like glide + control (slick mousepad but still retains control for fps).
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 02:36:50 by the1onewolf »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #673 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 04:09:13 »
I've heard the Puretrak Talent is durable, machine washable and similar to the Hayate but god damn it's made in the USA and the cheapest shipping is 12 bucks and I'm even in the same state.

There's a place here in Oz selling PureTrack Talent and am waiting next week to get some.  Never used it before but look forward to using a US of A made pad  :thumb: .  Just surprised with how cheap it is though.

Just curious to see for myself what is all the rage with PureTrack amongst the gamers out there, since they seem to overwhelmingly use their pads.

Offline feizor

« Reply #674 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 10:56:33 »

There's a place here in Oz selling PureTrack Talent and am waiting next week to get some.  Never used it before but look forward to using a US of A made pad  :thumb: .  Just surprised with how cheap it is though.

Just curious to see for myself what is all the rage with PureTrack amongst the gamers out there, since they seem to overwhelmingly use their pads.

Can I ask which place sells the PureTrack in oz?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #675 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 01:12:22 »

Let us know how it is!
 :p

Offline hehenri

« Reply #676 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 03:31:39 »
I have tried Razer Sphex and Func Surface 1030 XL, but still my old Roccat Sota have been best yet..

I will buy softer pad soon, maybe Razer Goliathus Control Edition  :rolleyes:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #677 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 05:35:55 »
Can I ask which place sells the PureTrack in oz?

SH!TE.....I got mixed up with PureTrack and XTrac........so sorry, ONLY XTrac pads are the ones I got.

Here buddy;

http://www.thekoolroom.com/category/mouse-pad/

Just scroll down and you'll see all the XTrac pads that are available from these guys.  Plus a few Zowie mice to peruse as well.

That's what happens when you get mixed up with everything and forget what you actually bought, no one's fault here except mine.  Sorry to get everyone so excited about getting any PureTracks here in Oz because you can't get them here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 05:44:25 by Elrick »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #678 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 15:24:30 »
Haha i don't blame you.Too much track in the names haha.

Let us know what you think about the Xtrac. I'm particularly curious about the glide.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #679 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 15:43:07 »
ok. so after having the Xtrac Ripper XXL for a few weeks here is my review:

it is by far the best cloth mousepad i have ever owned. it smelled a lot when i first took it out of its packaging but now it is just awesome.  better than steelseries, better than razer, and way way cheap. excellent product.

as for cleaning cloth pads i do it in the sink with a scrub brush, a little soap, and hot water.  gets em clean fast but they take a while to dry.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #680 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 15:53:36 »

it is by far the best cloth mousepad i have ever owned. it smelled a lot when i first took it out of its packaging but now it is just awesome.  better than steelseries, better than razer, and way way cheap. excellent product.

as for cleaning cloth pads i do it in the sink with a scrub brush, a little soap, and hot water.  gets em clean fast but they take a while to dry.

Sounds awesome! It seems too good to be true though
24.99 for a large gaming pad that surpasses the qck?

And it's like 50 bucks + 10 shipping to get it to canada from amazon lol

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #681 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:25:35 »

So how's the glide?
Is it fast?
Can you compare to other stuff you've used before?

Sounds awesome! It seems too good to be true though
24.99 for a large gaming pad that surpasses the qck?

And it's like 50 bucks + 10 shipping to get it to canada from amazon lol

I'm sure one of us can proxy it to you.
Although I don't think most people have access to a good shipping tube for the large plastic tube the Xtrac will come in and will be forced to use a large box.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #682 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:36:30 »
Can somebody explain to me what is better for tracking (optical) and why: hard mousepads, aluminum or plastic surfaces? I have a hard time digging through the marketing of the mousepad makers.. I recently picked up FPS gaming again and my desk does not glide well (g400s).
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #683 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:46:50 »
I think tracking is generally very good on most gaming surfaces, especially with IR LED sensors like your G400s has.
what you should focus more on is the feel of the pad, though unfortunately the G400s feet has been a bit problematic on some cloth surfaces for me, but hard pads are usually better in terms of precision/performance anyway.
I much enjoyed the combination of G400s + ModMyMachine Slamepad (bit pricy though) which is an aluminium pad. there's also the Razer Manticor which is aluminium, that I thought was great too. also a bit pricy though.
wish I could recommend the Steelseries 9HD as well, but it's just not very durable. however the fUnc F10S has not been bad durability-wise. both of these are plastic.

some cloth pads did work rather well but once the feet of the G400s is worn out, it scratches against the pad when you rest some weight on it :( I wish it wasn't so because there are some really good cloth pads out there, IMO.

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
« Reply #684 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:59:08 »
I use a 9HD with my SS Rival. Got a 4HD too for laptop use.

I tried the QcK and it had way too much friction for my tastes.
FC660C gray dyesub, gummyrot clack
FC660M cherry reds, Triumph Adler, blue aluminum case
Filco TKL cherry reds, white side-printed PBT
IBM Model F XT

Offline deltuhhh

« Reply #685 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:32:21 »
I WAS using the Razer Destructor 2 but I didn't really like it and it screwed with the tracking of my SS Rival so I got the QCK+. I love the QCK+, it's just too good.

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #686 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:19:23 »
SS QCK.
I use it because it's perfect for me.
Cheap, fairly high quality, size and the friction is just something I am used to.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #687 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 09:04:25 »
Just got a new Quakecon G400S and as soon as I plugged it in the cursor started jerking across the screen having epileptic fits.  Naturally I suspected it was due to my Roccat Hiro 3D mouse pad.

I switched out the pad to a G440 and guess what, smooth as peanut butter.  I suspected Logitech designed these new mouse pads for their current range of mice due to the sensors but was extremely pissed that it didn't like my Hiro pad one bit.

At least my Frankensteined MX500 still loves my Hiro, now I know why I like that customized rodent  ;D .

I'v been testing my regular G400s with the Roccat Hiro and it works perfectly (or as bad as without the Hiro, depending on your POV). I started using the Hiro a couple of days ago. Before that, I used my wooden deep dark brown desk as a 'mouse pad'.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline kekstee

« Reply #688 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 06:30:14 »
I'm eyeing a Razer Manticor, which is a bit stupid, I guess.

Currently on a Razer Goliathus Control, which is so worn that the friction in the center is actually quite high. I like that for low sens though. It's a bit slippery on the desk for my taste.
Now, I am under the impression that the Manticor could be similar and rock solid, but dropping 40 Euros on a mousepad which will wear in a year or two doesn't sound so good.

My alternative would be to go with SS QCK, which are affordable, slim and not a huge step in feeling. Also I wouldn't have to worry about the glide pads on my mouse…

Any idea if I should try the Manticor or is there something else to consider :/? Oh, and it needs to be a no-bull**** rectangle without fancy colouring. Less obnoxious logos preferred.

Offline TheMark

« Reply #689 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 06:49:51 »
Just picked up a Razer Vespula, using with G9x... very happy!

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #690 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 14:19:06 »
I'm eyeing a Razer Manticor, which is a bit stupid, I guess.

Currently on a Razer Goliathus Control, which is so worn that the friction in the center is actually quite high. I like that for low sens though. It's a bit slippery on the desk for my taste.
Now, I am under the impression that the Manticor could be similar and rock solid, but dropping 40 Euros on a mousepad which will wear in a year or two doesn't sound so good.

My alternative would be to go with SS QCK, which are affordable, slim and not a huge step in feeling. Also I wouldn't have to worry about the glide pads on my mouse…

Any idea if I should try the Manticor or is there something else to consider :/? Oh, and it needs to be a no-bull**** rectangle without fancy colouring. Less obnoxious logos preferred.

you're in Germany! there's both the Slamepad and the Alugraphics pads made there. they're single coloured pads in aluminium and IME the Slamepad so far has been extremely durable. absolutely love the pad. :)
just really wish it was bigger. then it'd be my main pad 100%. I just run out of space all the time :(

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #691 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 23:46:40 »
been using my artisan shiden xsoft for a few years now. apart from the discoloration from white to what is now... a little tan , the mouse pad is really smooth and flawless when it comes to tracking on various mouses. the mousefeet dont wear as easily in comparison to a qck I have used for a month. microsoft wheel mouse optical and some steel series mouse feet
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #692 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 00:13:29 »
Xtrac is legit. I love the size and smoothness the most!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline kekstee

« Reply #693 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 06:55:21 »
you're in Germany! there's both the Slamepad and the Alugraphics pads made there. they're single coloured pads in aluminium and IME the Slamepad so far has been extremely durable. absolutely love the pad. :)
just really wish it was bigger. then it'd be my main pad 100%. I just run out of space all the time :(
Thank  you, both seem pretty nice. Unfortunately they somehow thought 310x230mm would be sufficient. I just taped that size onto my current one and tested it, which works... but I have to be a bit too conscious about its placement. And while my Goliathus (350x255) is acceptable, I'd prefer something a little bit larger even.
There's the alugraphics XXL, but that thing is just ridiculous at 465x315mm.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #694 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 07:15:34 »
yeah I understand you there! it's really unfortunate. I asked ModMyMachine about making a large Slamepad and it seems like they think there's not enough interest at the price point they would have to set. :( it is apparently very expensive to manufacture.

Manticor is quite nice when it comes to how it feels, but I can't say anything about its durability since I only tried it briefly with a few different mice.
sorry I can't help you anything more. durable mousepads that are just simple rectangles are very hard to come by.

the only thing left I can think of is the Icemat clones from Korea, but I don't think they were made any bigger? could be worth looking though. a 35-40cm Icemat would have been really nice.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #695 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 06:07:10 »
I use a Razer Sphex. It's a very slick surface, my mouse (DeathAdder) feels like it's literally gliding, it's wonderful. Plus it's stuck to my desk, so it's not going anywhere. :D

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #696 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 11:50:49 »
I've used a QCK+ for probably around 6 or 7 years and it's still in great shape. Washed it a couple times, I think on one of the corners the cloth has separated from the rubber mat a little, but nothing major. Highly recommended if you prefer cloth over plastic/metal/glass.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #697 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 06:27:24 »
I've been using the SS 9HD and 4HD for a few months now.

The hard surface allows greater accuracy, which I prefer.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #698 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 00:00:17 »
Using my artisan hein right now because my puretrak is drying off.
Also washed my xtrac.

This stuff is hard to dry if you don't have a proper drying surface.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #699 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 01:13:58 »
I find that I can get used to most mousepads as long as
-The mousepad is big enough
-The mousepad provides excellent tracking with the mouse I use

There are a lot of mousepads that fulfill those criteria, and that is why I generally like a lot of the cheaper options. That said, over the years I have used many mousepads. Almost all of them cloth. I do have two favourites among them, but for different reasons

Steelseries Qck (heavy) : I see this kind of as my default mousepad that I use to compare other mousepads with. It has a simple tight weave providing medium to high friction. Some people say that it has a lot of glide, and maybe compared to the desk it does, but in terms of mousepads I would rate it about medium.

Other mousepads of this kind, with a smooth tight weave to the cloth feel roughly the same in my opinion. There are some differences in feel when using it side by side to similar cloth pads. But for me, those differences were negligible. What I like about it is the size it is available in, the reasonable price, that it comes in a plain black, and the fact that a black slightly textured surface works well with almost any sensor.

Razer Goliathus (extended) : I first used this at a LAN where I sat down behind someone else's PC. The thing I noticed right away was the anti-fray stitching. Such a simple thing, but it makes sense. For me, "fraying" is typically the first sign of wear on any of my mousepads. Additionally, it makes things look so much cleaner. Given what we pay for our gaming mousepads, you wonder why this is not more common. But while it is nice, it is the way the surface feels that is most important.

I have used both the "speed" and "control" version. Those names are actually a little misleading, and it makes more sense to just think of them of two different types of surfaces. The "speed" edition feels similar to the Qck and other cloth pads with a smooth, tight weave. Some people might say they are very different, and while I do appreciate subtle differences, in terms of the range of surfaces that are out there these are similar. The "control" version is the one I have come to prefer. Unlike the name suggests, with my Zowie EC1 Evo (large mousefeet) it provides much less resistance and a smoother glide than mousepads with a smooth, tight weave. The surface looks rougher, but because of this, the total surface that is in contact with the mouse-feet is smaller and friction is lower. This actually makes it an attractive option for someone who likes cloth, but finds that most cloth pads provide too much friction/resistance.

My main dislike of this mousepad is the razer graphic. While the mousepad itself, with the anti-fray stitching looks very clean, the image that is printed on it looks a little tacky in my opinion. Additionally, some sensors perform worse on multi-colored mousepads. I solved this on the extended version by simply rotating the mousepad 180 degrees, so the graphic is on the left (where the keyboard is) instead of the right. After testing, I found the slight changes in color (on the 2013 edition) on the other side do not interfere with tracking.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 September 2014, 01:17:12 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0